American Idol (ABC) -- Revival renewed for 2nd season

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Favorite judge?

Lionel Richie
No votes
Katy Perry
100%
Luke Bryan
No votes

Total votes: 1

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

American Idol (ABC) -- Revival renewed for 2nd season

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sorry, I was going to make a thread for the Idol revival—now on ABC—when the season began (even though I’m the only one here who watches, I'm guessing), but I decided not to because I assumed it would end just like most of the last decade of Idol, with a deserving winner being robbed by a flimsy white guy who could barely sing. Fortunately, the revival actually was worth it.

I'm happy and excited that my favorite from the revival—Maddie Poppe—actually won. So, SO deserved. And the first time the contestant I was rooting for won since Jordin Sparks in 2007, although David Cook, Kris Allen, and Candice Glover were great winners despite the fact I was hoping for someone else.

The revival was honestly my favorite season since Simon left the series. The Mariah-Nicki was the only other good season in the interim, jmo. Season 10 had some great contestants, but the absolute worst winner of the series. This panel is fluffy, but I like all three of them. More importantly, none of the three annoy me and that’s better than nothing. And they have been so refreshing after having the toxic JLO and Harry Connick, Jr. for 5/3 years, respectively. I knew Katy would be fine because she did great as a guest judge back during season 9 and Lionel Richie is a legend. I was never a fan of Luke Bryan, but he’s a really nice guy; preferred Keith, but he’s not bad at all. And they’ve opened up the songbook so that I rarely have to hear one of the tired, overdone songs regularly re-treaded in the show's last years on FOX. I also liked the fact that there was only one episode a week (no results shows) and the fast-track pace towards the finale instead of a dragged out live schedule.

Anyway, the show was renewed for another season last month. The ratings the past month have actually been tied with The Voice in live totals, although the show took a hit being pitted against the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday’s episode. I'm really make this thread for me to post in next season. :)

My list of the most noteworthy performances of this season, since I only made this here at the end of the season:

1. Maddie Poppe ~ "Brand New Key"
2. Catie Turner ~ "Once Upon a Dream"
3. Maddie Poppe ~ "Nothing Compares 2 U"
4. Jurnee ~ "Kiss"
5. Effie Passero ~ "Barracuda"
6. Maddie Poppe ~ "I Told You So"
7. Maddie Poppe ~ "Homeward Bound"
8. Jurnee ~ "How Far I'll Go"
9. Maddie Poppe ~ "Walk Like an Egyptian"
10. Maddie Poppe ~ "Don't Ever Let Your Children Grow Up" (original song)
11. Maddie Poppe ~ "Landslide"
12. Gabby Barrett ~ "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?"
13. Michelle Sussett ~ "Remember Me"
14. Maddie Poppe ~ "Going Going Gone" (winner's single)
15. Caleb Lee Hutchinson ~ "Stars in Alabama"
16. Gabby Barrett ~ "Stay" (with Jennifer Nettles)
17. Catie Turner ~ "Take Me to Church"
18. Cade Foehner ~ "Simple Man"
19. Caleb Lee Hutchinson ~ "When Doves Cry"
20. Ada Vox ~ "Defying Gravity" (with Lea Michele)

I love Maddie’s new single (written by Julia Michaels) and I’m so looking forward to getting her album, which I imagine will also feature "Don’t Ever Let Your Children Grow Up." Although I didn't want him to win, I also did like Caleb and his single, "Johnny Cash Heart" (I didn't rank it above because his live performance of it wasn't too great).

Just as a footnote, La'Porsha's album was great. I didn't like Trent Harmon at all, but strangely I've enjoyed what he's released post-show ("You Got 'Em All" / "There's a Girl"). Kelly was phenomenal on the Billboard Music Awards, so happy for Jordin's marriage and new baby boy, looking forward to Kelly and JHUD coaching The Voice together in the Fall, and rooting for McPhee to get another hit show now that Scorpion is off the air (her cover of Sara Bareilles' gorgeous song, "She Used to Be Mine," from the musical Waitress is worth hearing). And now I'll leave this thread to disappear for the next year. :wink:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Re: American Idol (ABC) -- Revival renewed for 2nd season

It's Disney night this Sunday. I'm glad Idol is on ABC for this theme alone. :P I don't have the complete list, but here's the ones I know:

Alejandro - "Remember Me" (Coco)
Jeremiah - "Candle On the Water"
Dimitrius - "You'll Be in My Heart"
Laci - "I See the Light"
Laine - "Oo-De-Lally"
Madison - "How Far I'll Go"
Uche - "Eye to Eye" (A Goofy Movie)
Alyssa - "Colors of the Wind"
Wade - "You've Got a Friend in Me"
Walker - "When She Loved Me"

I'm not sure what Wade and Walker are performing yet. I wish Madison was the one doing "I See the Light"; I'd love to hear that song performed by someone with a big voice for once, but it should suit Laci. Of these, Jeremiah will probably do the best, since that's a perfect song for him.
Disney's Divinity

Re: American Idol (ABC) -- Revival renewed for 2nd season

I had to make a post because I was happy another woman won the show last night! :pink: Here’s my ranking of everyone. This is a mixture of how I felt during the show and the post-show material some of them have put out.

1. Jordin Sparks ~ Loved her both on and off the show. She’s supposed to have a new album soon. :D My favorite song of hers is either "Walking On Snow," "The Cure," or "Silhouette."
2. Kelly Clarkson ~ I didn’t even see her season. I fell in love with Kelly when she put out "Because of You," and she became one of my favorite radio artists ever, up there with Christina Aguilera, Kacey Musgraves, Sara Evans, Whitney, etc. So many favorites by her, but "Because of You" is likely still my favorite of hers. I always wanted to use "Standing in Front of You" for my wedding if I ever had one.
3. Maddie Poppe ~ I loved her on the show and enjoyed her new album, too. The show has really screwed her over the past two years and I’m not sure why? Favorite song: "Wildflowers."
4. Kris Allen ~ I liked him (and Alison) on that season even though I felt Adam Lambert was more deserving of the win. But his post-show material has been reeeeally good, jmo. I think it’s a good thing he’s a great songwriter, because Idol and the label he ended up on so clearly didn’t care about him. He pretty much had to survive on his own. Favorite song: "Leave You Alone." ("Send Me All Your Angels" would probably be second.)
5. Candice Glover ~ I wanted so badly for Angela Miller to win that season, I loved her voice! I also preferred Kree to Candice, but I loved all four girls that year (+ Devin Velez). I've kept up with all four girls' post-show material, although Holcomb hasn't managed to get anything out that I know of, which is a shame. :/ I think she got married and had a child right after the show wrapped, so... Maybe she didn't have the interest to try after she lost. Anyway, I thought Candice's debut was really good! She was supposed to have a second album. Unfortunately that was a while ago and nothing’s happened… :( It was very obvious that season that Iovine (the producer who picked up the winner) wanted Amber Holcomb, so that might be part of it. Favorite song: "Kiss Me," just for her belting on the last chorus. "Passenger" is really pretty though and "Damn" is cute.
6. Ruben Studdard ~ I only have maybe two of his albums because I didn’t really care for his post-show material too much (and one of them was a Luther Vandross cover album). But he had a fantastic voice and personality, too. Favorite song: Probably still "Flying Without Wings."
7. Carrie Underwood ~ I actually was kind of meh on Carrie on the show. I was in love with Bo Bice though, he was so cute and reminded me of Travis Tritt. Carrie was my mom’s favorite though. I've come to love Carrie more for her post-show career. I didn’t care for her first album outside "Before He Cheats" and "Wasted." Then I ***loved*** her second album, Carnival Ride. Then her next two albums were meh, and then Storyteller came out and I ***loved*** that one, too ("Dirty Laundry" is my impromptu theme song for Desperate Housewives. :lol: ). And I liked her recent Cry Pretty as well. Plus with country radio keeping nearly all women from having success these days, I try to support every female who I like even a little bit in the genre. And Carrie has done her best to support other women; she has picked women only to be her touring partners for years now, to try to help them find more success. Maddie & Tae were one act she promoted, and I like them even more than Carrie actually. Plus, I learned around season 12 or 13 of American Idol that Carrie has bought gifts for the top 12 contestants of each season since she won the show all those years ago. What a really sweet person. And she's been so funny on the CMAs the past few years, even when they'd do her dirty in the awards categories (like robbing her of Entertainer last time). Favorite song: Hard to say. Probably "What I Never Knew I Always Wanted." "Before He Cheats," "Dirty Laundry," "Just a Dream," and "Quitter" are all next in line for second.
8. David Cook ~ David Cook's one I liked more on the show than post-show. He wasn’t the one I was rooting for (that was Archuleta and Carly), but I liked nearly everyone that year. My mother loved him as well, so I have most of his albums via her. :P He didn’t really find a sound that fit him until recently, imo. "Laying Me Low" and Digital Vein is the first album where I’ve enjoyed his music post-show. Favorite song: "Fade Into You."
9. Fantasia Barrino ~ I liked her on the show, although I preferred JHUD and Diana at the time. I didn't care for her debut outside the covers taken from the show and "Truth Is." Her next album was better, but it wasn’t really until "Bittersweet" / Back to Me that she finally found a perfect sound for her, imo. I loved her vocals as part of The Color Purple, too. Favorite song: "Even Angels."
10. Laine Hardy ~ I didn't root for him that season either (Jeremiah and Alejandro were my favorites), but I did like him. He doesn't have an album out (yet, he only won last spring). Hopefully he'll get a little success, since it's easier for Idols in country to find a little success it seems than in other genres.
11. Samantha Diaz ~ There weren't many performances this season. I wouldn't say she had an amazing voice, she's probably the first woman that's won that I thought was "just average." Still, I'm happy for her and I hope she manages to get an album out. I'll probably like her more post-show if she can get some material out.
--- (everyone below I’m not really a fan of)
12. Lee DeWyze ~ I thought he was alright on the show, although not deserving of the win at all over Crystal Bowersox. I wasn't crazy about anyone that year though. I haven't bought anything by him post-show.
13. Taylor Hicks ~ He could sing at least, I just preferred Elliot and Katharine that year. Even Daughtry or Kellie Pickler would've been better winners. Him and Scotty are the same in being on stacked seasons where the worst person possible won. I haven't followed him post-show either.
14. Trent Harmon ~ I didn't like him on the show and was pretty PO'ed when he won the last season of the FOX series over La'Porsha (and Sonika as well). But I did buy his debut, actually. It's only because he decided to go into country and the first song that premiered, "You Got 'Em All," was really, really beautiful. Still not happy about him as a winner, but I did like his album. "Money's On You" is my favorite song of his.
15. Caleb Johnson ~ Didn't like him at all. At least he could sing well-enough.
16. Phillip Phillips ~ Didn't care for him, although I did like "Gone Gone Gone" post-show.
17. Nick Fradiani ~ Didn't care for him. He couldn't sing well at all. He seemed like a nice guy though, I guess. Rayvon Owen was my far away favorite that year and I still follow Rayvon's releases.
18. Scotty McCreery ~ ***Really*** did not like him. And it was worse because Pia and Haley were so so robbed. He was a very poor imitation of Josh Turner (who I actually like, unlike Scotty) and with a stuck-up attitude. He seems nicer these days than he was then, but I'm still not a fan of his voice. What little I’ve heard, I guess I sort of like "The Trouble With Girls" and "In Between."

The only times my favorites of the season won were with Jordin Sparks (just a couple of weeks before I graduated high school :D ) and Maddie Poppe. Although I liked many who did win and some grew on me over time. I love the show on ABC better than the last years on FOX. The judges are great, imo, and the quality of the contestants is higher, jmo. I'm happy it got renewed another season. Hopefully they won't have to film the final rounds remotely next year.