All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Favorite judge?
Lionel Richie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Katy Perry 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Luke Bryan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:48 am 
Platinum Edition

Sorry, I was going to make a thread for the Idol revival—now on ABC—when the season began (even though I’m the only one here who watches, I'm guessing), but I decided not to because I assumed it would end just like most of the last decade of Idol, with a deserving winner being robbed by a flimsy white guy who could barely sing. Fortunately, the revival actually was worth it.

I'm happy and excited that my favorite from the revival—Maddie Poppe—actually won. So, SO deserved. And the first time the contestant I was rooting for won since Jordin Sparks in 2007, although David Cook, Kris Allen, and Candice Glover were great winners despite the fact I was hoping for someone else.

The revival was honestly my favorite season since Simon left the series. The Mariah-Nicki was the only other good season in the interim, jmo. Season 10 had some great contestants, but the absolute worst winner of the series. This panel is fluffy, but I like all three of them. More importantly, none of the three annoy me and that’s better than nothing. And they have been so refreshing after having the toxic JLO and Harry Connick, Jr. for 5/3 years, respectively. I knew Katy would be fine because she did great as a guest judge back during season 9 and Lionel Richie is a legend. I was never a fan of Luke Bryan, but he’s a really nice guy; preferred Keith, but he’s not bad at all. And they’ve opened up the songbook so that I rarely have to hear one of the tired, overdone songs regularly re-treaded in the show's last years on FOX. I also liked the fact that there was only one episode a week (no results shows) and the fast-track pace towards the finale instead of a dragged out live schedule.

Anyway, the show was renewed for another season last month. The ratings the past month have actually been tied with The Voice in live totals, although the show took a hit being pitted against the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday’s episode. I'm really make this thread for me to post in next season. :)

My list of the most noteworthy performances of this season, since I only made this here at the end of the season:

1. Maddie Poppe ~ "Brand New Key"
2. Catie Turner ~ "Once Upon a Dream"
3. Maddie Poppe ~ "Nothing Compares 2 U"
4. Jurnee ~ "Kiss"
5. Effie Passero ~ "Barracuda"
6. Maddie Poppe ~ "I Told You So"
7. Maddie Poppe ~ "Homeward Bound"
8. Jurnee ~ "How Far I'll Go"
9. Maddie Poppe ~ "Walk Like an Egyptian"
10. Maddie Poppe ~ "Don't Ever Let Your Children Grow Up" (original song)
11. Maddie Poppe ~ "Landslide"
12. Gabby Barrett ~ "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?"
13. Michelle Sussett ~ "Remember Me"
14. Maddie Poppe ~ "Going Going Gone" (winner's single)
15. Caleb Lee Hutchinson ~ "Stars in Alabama"
16. Gabby Barrett ~ "Stay" (with Jennifer Nettles)
17. Catie Turner ~ "Take Me to Church"
18. Cade Foehner ~ "Simple Man"
19. Caleb Lee Hutchinson ~ "When Doves Cry"
20. Ada Vox ~ "Defying Gravity" (with Lea Michele)

I love Maddie’s new single (written by Julia Michaels) and I’m so looking forward to getting her album, which I imagine will also feature "Don’t Ever Let Your Children Grow Up." Although I didn't want him to win, I also did like Caleb and his single, "Johnny Cash Heart" (I didn't rank it above because his live performance of it wasn't too great).

Just as a footnote, La'Porsha's album was great. I didn't like Trent Harmon at all, but strangely I've enjoyed what he's released post-show ("You Got 'Em All" / "There's a Girl"). Kelly was phenomenal on the Billboard Music Awards, so happy for Jordin's marriage and new baby boy, looking forward to Kelly and JHUD coaching The Voice together in the Fall, and rooting for McPhee to get another hit show now that Scorpion is off the air (her cover of Sara Bareilles' gorgeous song, "She Used to Be Mine," from the musical Waitress is worth hearing). And now I'll leave this thread to disappear for the next year. :wink: