A Twisted Tale (Book Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: A Twisted Tale (Book Series)

Post by Sotiris »

The next two in the series will be Frozen and Peter Pan.
What if Anna and Elsa never knew each other? When a magical accident erases Anna and Elsa's memories not only of magic, but of each other the sisters are separated for protection. But when Elsa unexpectedly finds herself as a young queen mysterious magic begins to happen and questions of her past start to form. Will the sisters ever be reunited?
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Twisted-T ... 368052231/
What if Wendy first traveled to Never Land…with Captain Hook? When Wendy finally gets to the magical place she’d always wanted to visit, she finds unsettling evil lurking in its depths. Forging an unlikely bond with Tinker Bell, Wendy must find a way to save Pan’s shadow—and Never Land itself.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Till-Mo ... 484781309/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The Frozen one doesn't seem very interesting considering the fact that Elsa and Anna barely know each other even in the actual movie besides a handful of childhood memories. However, if the book has Elsa take a more active role to find her sister (rather than the other way around), then this would be an interesting spin.

The Wendy one might actually be fun if it wasn't for the fact that the premise of the book sounds like three to four young adult Peter Pan/Wendy novels I've already read. Nothing unique about the storyline or plot at all, and probably it'll just rip-off those previous novels.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wendy traveling to Neverland with Captain Hook? That's wild! Is that really like previous Peter Pan twist books JeanGreyForever?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Wendy traveling to Neverland with Captain Hook? That's wild! Is that really like previous Peter Pan twist books JeanGreyForever?
Yeah, there are a lot of young adult Wendy books that feature her as the protagonist and she falls in love with Hook since that is hinted at in the original play/novel. Most of these installments make Peter Pan the bad guy who is after her and kidnaps one of her brothers.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow! But how does Hook get Wendy from London?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Usually in these retellings and twist books, it is still Peter who takes Wendy and her brothers to Neverland. However, after spending some time there, she realizes that Hook is far more honorable (and hotter lol), or Peter refuses to take her and her brothers back home so Wendy has to go to Hook for help.

Even in the 2003 live-action film I often talk about to you, Hook "kidnaps" Wendy and treats her like an honored guest on his ship. He makes her the offer of joining him as the pirate "Red-Handed Jill." Then he tells her to think about it and releases her. One of the books I read used this scene as inspiration and has Wendy join Hook as Red-Handed Jill and sail the seas with him as a pirate.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, that's crazy! But that Red-Handed Jill scene isn't in the original play or novel?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Captain Hook offers John the chance to become a pirate as Red-Handed Jack in the novel/play during the climax scene when Hook has all the children captured on board his ship. The movie gave Wendy a more active role so she was given the name (or the gender inverted version of it) during the midway point of the film, rather than John.

It actually causes some tension between her and Peter because he learns that there is a new pirate and wants to go after her and kill her. Then Wendy reveals herself to be the pirate and she has a sword fight with Peter in front of all the Lost Boys in their hideout.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I like what they did!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Yeah, there are a lot of young adult Wendy books that feature her as the protagonist and she falls in love with Hook since that is hinted at in the original play/novel.
But Captain Hook looks like her dad!?! :o
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote: But Captain Hook looks like her dad!?! :o
Lol perhaps Wendy has an Elektra complex.

But actually the whole casting Mr. Darling/Captain Hook as the same person isn't meant to be some deep thematic parallel. It was done the first time on accident because I think one actor backed out so they had to use the same one for both Mr. Darling and Captain Hook. In fact, I think something similar happened with Wendy's mother. However, people felt that J.M. Barrie did it on purpose and have thus followed this pattern in almost every Peter Pan adaptation since then.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Hook is supposed to be a beautiful and elegant man. We just don't think of him that way because of how Disney portrays him, but he should be something more equivalent to the Evil Queen or Maleficent. Frightening but physically attractive and in Maleficent's case, can be charming when he needs to ensnare someone with his guile.

Actually, the OUAT version of him is a better match physically for Hook. When people first saw him in OUAT, they thought it was such a twist on the character that he was suddenly hot and good-looking but he's always meant to be that way. But his hair would never be cropped as short. The black curls (whether they're a wig or real, I can't remember) is his signature hairstyle.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm. That's all very interesting. What I thought Hook needed on OUaT was his signature hat.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Hm. That's all very interesting. What I thought Hook needed on OUaT was his signature hat.
Maybe they felt it would look out of place with his black leather jacket and makeup look. I remember there was an episode where Emma is making fun of his Disney look to him though.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yeah now I think his look is perfect without the hat. I guess a pirate with a hook for a hand is all he needs to be for Once Upon a Time.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Did anybody ever end up reading the Snow White book? I heard they really expanded on all the characters' personalities and backstories.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The next entry in the series is Cinderella.
What if Cinderella never tried on the glass slipper? Unable to prove that she's the missing princess, and unable to bear life under Lady Tremaine any longer, Cinderella attempts a fresh start, looking for work at the palace as a seamstress. But when the Grand Duke appoints her to serve under the king's visiting sister, Cinderella becomes witness to a grand conspiracy to take the king-and the prince-out of power, as well as a longstanding prejudice against fairies, including Cinderella's own Fairy Godmother. Faced with questions of love and loyalty to the kingdom, Cinderella must find a way to stop the villains of past and present...before it's too late.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1368013821/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I was wondering how they would tackle this since Twice Charmed and A Twist in Time basically follow the premise of this book series anyway. The part of Cinderella leaving the Tremaines to become an independent seamstress sounds like they're listening to all the criticism from people on why Cinderella never left a house where she was only abused. That alone is off-putting but the part about fairy prejudice is just plain ridiculous, even for this line of books.

Never mind the fact that the BATB book basically did the same thing but at least anti-magic hysteria somewhat made sense in a small town fueled by superstition and narrow-minded views. Cinderella takes place in a far more modern kingdom and it's clear that fairy godmothers and magic aren't common knowledge to the general public like they are in Sleeping Beauty. The idea that there's some conspiracy out to get fairies is far too outlandish for my taste.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I...actually am interested and may read the Cinderella book, lol. I mean, I don't find it ridiculous or listening to criticism, but maybe I'm biased.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad you don't mind the premise. To progress the story, it makes sense that Cinderella would have to leave the house and be in the palace to uncover the plot that is unraveling but it reminds me too much of criticism about why Cinderella is old-fashioned, not a feminist icon, or why she deserves her abuse because she never tried to put a stop to it or get help.

I'm surprised you don't have an issue with the fact that in this book, it seems that people are generally familiar with fairy godmothers and magic being real. From the animated film (as well as the live-action film), it always seemed like only a select few people would really believe in magic and even Ella (in the live-action film) mentions, when she breaks down after her dress is torn, how she can't believe in what her mother believed anymore. Fairy godmothers don't seem like a concept that the King or the Grand Duke, for example, would not only believe in but be acquainted with.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:reminds me too much of criticism about why Cinderella is old-fashioned, not a feminist icon, or why she deserves her abuse because she never tried to put a stop to it or get help.
What kind of awful people say that?!! Anyway, yes I can see how it does fit with the criticism, but I also see it as a logical step. I guess it flows naturally enough for me. Though I suppose you could say it does not fit her character from the first film who never left? I guess I see it as after a while, you have finally had enough and must leave? If you still don't think it fits her character, see what I say below.

As for the awareness of magic in the kingdom, you are completely right, but I find this whole series rather far from how the original films really are so I guess I would still enjoy this "wrong" and "what if" story?