Turning Red

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: Turning Red

Post by unprincess »

A family curse, just like in.....Fruits Baskets :D

I wonder if the other family members also turn into animals of the zod...um, animals. :P
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

In her interview about Bao, production designer Rona Liu shared a couple of details about Turning Red (where she's collaborating again with director Domee Shi) I don't think were known; that the film will take place in Toronto and the protagonist will be Chinese-Canadian:
This story is about a 13-year-old girl. She's a Chinese-Canadian girl living in Toronto and she sometimes turns into this red, fluffy, giant red panda. It's really cute. It's also really wild and I'm just so excited and I can't wait for all of you to see it in 2022.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hope Tsai Chin and Takayo Fischer will do voices in this movie!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

“I think Domee is tapping into some similar themes as she did in ‘Bao,’ specifically about dealing with your parents as you’re growing up,” Docter said. “It’s a very personal story for her and she turns it into a fantastic, weird premise to create a metaphor of what it’s like to grow up.”
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/soul-director-p ... ms-oscars/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Rumor: Ludwig Göransson to Score Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/06/02/ru ... rning-red/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The film will be previewed at Annecy:
After the Luca portion, keep watching for a special sneak peek at upcoming Pixar content – including a look at the 2022 features Turning Red and Lightyear – delivered by the studio’s head of production, Jonas Rivera.
Source: https://www.annecy.org/programme-2021/e ... 0001503085

Sotiris wrote:Rumor: Ludwig Göransson to Score Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/06/02/ru ... rning-red/
I hope that's true. I love his work for Black Panther and The Mandalorian.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I detect large amounts of comedy coming this way ^^ :D
The Annecy Festival is always a great opportunity for first visuals! I really need to show up some year :]] !

By the way does anybody notice an Easter egg for Turning Red inside Luca ?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The Luca director said:
We have a little Turning Red secret one, but it’s very well hidden and we don’t want to spoil any surprises for Turning Red. So that might be more of a later reveal.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256914 ... urning-red
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Interesting.. Speculations are open! :-D
Thanks for sharing :up: :up:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's interesting she goes to school when she's in her red panda form. You'd think she'd want to keep that a secret.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Well everyone looks surprised so it feels like a reveal moment almost?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The teaser trailer might be released this Monday:
On July 9th, the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) rated a two-minute trailer for Turning Red which, according to the website, will be released on July 12th. Right now, we can’t confirm the date, but the BBFC is a reliable source as they rate every movie, TV show, adult film, and trailer that are released in the UK and without their certification, no film can be legally released in the UK.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2021/07/10/tu ... ming-soon/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

According to Skyler Shuler the teaser trailer will arrive tomorrow. Or perhaps the teaser trailers, as The DisInsider updated their article and now say two trailers have been rated:
On July 9th, the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) rated two two-minute trailers for Turning Red which, according to the website, will be released on July 12th. Right now, we can’t confirm the release date, but the BBFC is a reliable source as they rate every movie, TV show, adult film, and trailer that is released in the UK, and without their certification, no film can be legally released.

Since the website has listed two trailers for Turning Red in their recent decision section, they are probably identical with only minor differences, but only time will tell. Both trailers have been rated U by the BBFC, U meaning Universal, which is the British equivalent to the US’ G rating.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2021/07/10/tu ... ming-soon/
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This looks more like Illumination imitating Ghibli than Disney or PIXAR.

Complete with Backstreet Boys song in the trailer to top it off with some Dreamworks vibes.

Who asked for this? It better be Disney marketing making this look crap…
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I've noticed Canadians on my social media feeds going nuts for this, because of the Toronto setting.

With this and Luca, I wonder if we're going to start seeing a new trend of Pixar films where directors tell stories inspired by their childhoods and set in places they grew up in, where the characters just vibe. I really liked Luca for its low-key nature, so I wouldn't mind more Pixar movies in that vein. "Bao" is also one of my favourite Pixar shorts, so I'm up for anything Domee Shi decides to direct.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I liked the teaser, but I agree it looks more Ghibli than Pixar.
estefan wrote:"Bao" is also one of my favourite Pixar shorts, so I'm up for anything Domee Shi decides to direct.
It's one of my favorite Pixar shorts as well. I think Domee Shi has a very interesting and unique style of telling stories. That's the main reason why I'm excited for this movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's the teaser poster:

Source: https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1414932756967141376

On Mei Mei's identification card it says it's course year 2002-2003, so aparently the movie will be set more or less 20 years ago.

Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Looks better than I thought...! I just love the color scheme :up: :-O... Just like Luca there are gigantic Ghibli vibes here although this movie reminds more of My Neighbour Totoro than Kiki’s Delivery Service naturally because of its theme (speaking of Luca it funny to notice how the story of Luca ends exactly where the story of Kiki’s Delivery Service begins.)
Funny enough to notice that the movie will take place in the early 2000’s.. I guess the time Domee Shi was a teenager herself..
Just as any of the recent Pixar projects since Onward, I am very intrigued! while I was a bit uncertain yet with this one until now.
Last edited by Clindor on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.