Old Mickey cartoons vs. newer (post-2013) Mickey shorts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Old Mickey cartoons vs. newer (post-2013) Mickey shorts

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Considering their attempts at hyping up the post-2013 Mickey Mouse cartoons, I have to get this off my chest...

Do you think that the classic Mickey cartoons of old are being "replaced" by this newer series? Think of it, they advertise this newer series everywhere, to the point where it seems like the only place where the old cartoons are shown (maybe) is on TCM, and even then there's no guarantee.

My concern stems primarily from the overabundance of the 2013 imagery of Mickey and friends at the Disney parks, from the upcoming Skyway added to the resort to the upcoming Runaway Railway.

What's going on? Do you think this series of shorts is replacing the classic shorts?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Old Mickey cartoons vs. newer (post-2013) Mickey shorts

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I can definitely see that, especially since even before the 2013 shorts, it's not like Disney was bothering to promote the classic shorts. Even on home video, Disney released the Treasures sets on DVD, but never bothered to release them on Blu-Ray afterwards. Despite the fact, that all those shorts have been restored. Likely they're being saved for their streaming service, but knowing Disney, I wouldn't even be surprised if they feel that there is no audience for these shorts anymore so they are only being restored for historical purposes and otherwise kept out of the public limelight.

The recent Blu-Ray release for Mickey's 90th Anniversary was somewhat promising, only because some of those shorts did get to see the light of day but I doubt we'll see anything like that again soon.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Old Mickey cartoons vs. newer (post-2013) Mickey shorts

Post by Avaitor »

I'm honestly pretty sad that the Disney shorts channel that you could access at Disney hotels has replaced the classics entirely with the newer shorts.