DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:44 am 
Platinum Edition

A stage adaptation of Disney's Bedknobs and Broomsticks will premiere next summer as part of Chicago Shakespeare's 2018–2019 season.

Quote:
Chicago Shakespeare presents the World Premiere of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, the new stage musical adaptation of the iconic Walt Disney film, based on the beloved novels by Mary Norton and featuring music from the Oscar- and Grammy Award-winning duo The Sherman Brothers-Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman. At the outset of World War II, three children evacuated from the London Blitz arrive in a seaside village on the doorstep of Miss Eglantine Price, a patriotic witch-in-training and inexperienced broom flyer. Through their fantastical misadventures, they discover that their strength-and their own true magic-lie in one another, paving the way to save their town and all of England. Bookwriter Brian Hill and composer/lyricist Neil Bartram have imaginatively adapted the story for the stage, weaving new songs with familiar favorites-and even some lost gems-from the original movie score. The world premiere production will be directed and choreographed by multiple Jeff Award-winner Rachel Rockwell, May 30-July 28, 2019.
Source: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/C ... e-20180314

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:19 pm 
Platinum Edition

I take "lost gems" to mean "Nobody's Problems" and "A Step in the Right Direction"? I wonder what new songs they would add to this. I'd say it doesn't really need anything, but even the Mary Poppins show had multiple additions and the MP film soundtrack was already pretty large.

I suppose it may be unlikely this would get a cast recording?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Glad to hear this film is getting some much deserved love.

I'm glad they're retaining all the "deleted" songs. I know the original movie had planned for the three kids to sing Nobody's Problems at the beginning of the film, with Eglantine reprising it near the end, so I hope they do that.