Muppets Live Another Day

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Muppets Live Another Day

Post by blackcauldron85 »

RUMOR: Disney’s Streaming Service Will Feature a New Muppet Series
http://www.toughpigs.com/rumor-disneys- ... et-series/
:pink:
Sotiris

Re: New Muppet Series

Post by Sotiris »

It's not a rumor. It's been confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter.

Disney Planning Another 'Muppets' Reboot for Its Streaming Service (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ce-1086800
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Any insight on the premise of the new show? It has been quiet on the Muppet front since that rumor about Disney+ broke.

Skyler Shuler: I have heard that it will be like the original Muppet Show. That’s a rumor at this point.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 5013708801
DisneyQuack
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyQuack »

I can't wait, it's been too long already!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The fact it's from the showrunners of OUAT has me worried. :huh:
The Muppets are coming to Disney+. Josh Gad (Frozen) and the creative duo behind Once Upon a Time Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz have created a show called Muppets Live Another Day. The show takes place right after the events of 1984's The Muppets Take Manhattan. Kermit disbands the gang but they are brought back together after the mysterious disappearance of Rowlf. We should expect to see it released on Disney + in 2020.
Source: http://splashreport.com/muppets-coming-to-disney/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:The fact it's from the showrunners of OUAT has me worried :huh:
Lol, expect lots of plot holes, flashbacks, memory wipes, and an overall disregard for continuity.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Muppets Live Another Day

Post by Farerb »

Oh god... Why would anybody hire those hacks again?!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:Oh god... Why would anybody hire those hacks again?!
Beats me. Probably people who didn't watch OUAT.:P They're also serving as showrunners for the Amazing Stories reboot for Amblin and Apple.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like they're shooting the series in London. Probably for tax purposes.
Josh Gad wrote:Nothing like a retreat with some geniuses. Get ready. Working on a good one.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh-Ig1BBx7A/
Adam Horowitz wrote:Here’s a tiny tease about what we’re doing in London. Hint: it’s not planning the Royal Wedding #LondonIsCallingKitsisHorowitz
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh-Qfc5n3Qg/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The early seasons of Once were wonderful, so I'm hoping the same magic is there for this endeavour :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^I'd say only the first season was strong. Post-3A the series started going off the rails. I still enjoyed it for what it was but you can't really call it a well-written show.

Based on the title and logline, the new Muppets series seems to be going for a James Bond angle.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

From what I've heard Damon Lindelof was a ghost writer for the first season and was heavily involved. He also gave them an outline about plot points to do in the future like Henry's father is Rumple's son and probably 311 as a series finale. That's why season 2-3A kept the strong theme of the importance of family.
It really went downhill afterwards when they decided to do fan pandering, focusing on ridiculous ships and inserting Disney's popular IP.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I only watched the first season of "Once Upon a Time" and I found it wasn't my thing, but I see nothing wrong with giving the showrunners this series.

If not this show, what do you think would a better series for them to oversee? And please, no snarky answers. I believe, unless you're a monster or a creep, every creative person in Hollywood deserves to work and be able to feed their family.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:From what I've heard Damon Lindelof was a ghost writer for the first season and was heavily involved. He also gave them an outline about plot points to do in the future like Henry's father is Rumple's son and probably 311 as a series finale. That's why season 2-3A kept the strong theme of the importance of family. It really went downhill afterwards when they decided to do fan pandering, focusing on ridiculous ships and inserting Disney's popular IP.
Well, that certainly explains the significant drop in quality after 3A.

estefan wrote:If not this show, what do you think would a better series for them to oversee? And please, no snarky answers. I believe, unless you're a monster or a creep, every creative person in Hollywood deserves to work and be able to feed their family.
No one is entitled to a Hollywood job. Especially not wealthy creatives who have already been given their fair share of opportunities. There's a finite number of projects and positions in the entertainment industry so perhaps if we stopped rewarding mediocre, straight white men with ongoing work, more talented people from marginalized groups would finally be able to break through.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Even Season 3A was criticized a lot. People weren't fond of how OUAT made another familial connection with Rumple and Peter and complained that the entire season was just the main cast going through the jungle episode after episode. The supporting characters like Wendy, the Darlings, and even Ursula (the real Ursula) were wasted. I think people appreciated Neal's death the most since he wasn't popular at all. That and I guess Rumple's sacrifice but no one was surprised when he was brought back right after.

As for Season 3B, it introduced Zelena who was one of my favs even if another familial plot twist had gotten incredibly stale by that point. However, Snow's baby was a pointless arc and Robin was brought into the fold which makes this the biggest waste lol.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I have no horse in the OUAT discourse (give me Fables any day), other than wondering why these guys were chosen to run a Muppet series.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Even Season 3A was criticized a lot. People weren't fond of how OUAT made another familial connection with Rumple and Peter and complained that the entire season was just the main cast going through the jungle episode after episode. The supporting characters like Wendy, the Darlings, and even Ursula (the real Ursula) were wasted. I think people appreciated Neal's death the most since he wasn't popular at all. That and I guess Rumple's sacrifice but no one was surprised when he was brought back right after.

As for Season 3B, it introduced Zelena who was one of my favs even if another familial plot twist had gotten incredibly stale by that point. However, Snow's baby was a pointless arc and Robin was brought into the fold which makes this the biggest waste lol.
I commented on the Once Upon a Time thread because I don't want to derail the muppets thread. Hope it's okay.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The project has been cancelled. Rumor has it, scheduling conflicts were to blame.
The Muppets are among the most recognizable characters in the Disney IP library, and Disney+ had been trying for more than a year to get a new scripted series with them off the ground, going through two rounds of development with different creative teams, including a take co-written by Josh Gad, Muppets Live Another Day, which went to pilot. Set right after the events in 1984’s The Muppets Take Manhattan, that project features Kermit and the gang searching for Rowlf.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/08/muppets-no ... 202703195/
Disney+ will not be proceeding with Muppets Live Another Day, its scripted comedy series project written/executive produced by Frozen star Josh Gad and Once Upon a Time creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis. The ABC Signature-produced comedy, which had been in the works at Disney’s upcoming streaming platform for awhile, had a pilot order. It will not go forward over discrepancy between the writing team’s creative vision and that of the top brass at Disney-owned Muppet Studio, which last year became part of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products in a company reorganization. Muppets Live Another Day was to pick up right where 1984’s The Muppets Take Manhattan left off and focus on Kermit as he must bring the Muppets back together (after being disbanded) to help locate the missing Rowlf.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/09/the-muppet ... 202730154/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That sucks. :( Whose schedule I wonder... There's no way to save the show? Move the schedule?? :( I'm so disappointed. Disney needs to do something with The Muppets, or sell them to someone who cares. What a waste. :(
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

But there's Muppets Now announced for Disney+ already.