Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

I'm surprised they didn't cut the song altogether. I think this is the approach Disney is going to take for other "problematic" songs and characters. I expect Kiss the Girl to be reworked for TLM remake as well.
Grammy winner Janelle Monae will contribute new music to the Disney Plus streaming title “Lady and the Tramp,” in addition to her voice role in the live-action reboot. Monae will perform two original songs for the film, led by Tessa Thompson and Justin Theroux.

Monae’s artist collective Wondaland is also “reinventing” a track from the original 1955 animated movie, individuals close to the project said. That would be “The Siamese Cat Song,” originally recorded by Peggy Lee for the feline duo Si and Am in the animated version. Those characters and their famous refrain — “We are Siamese if you please / We are Siamese if you don’t please” — have long been considered a cringe-worthy depiction of Asian culture. Wondaland contributors Nate “Rocket” Wonder and Roman GianArthur are working on a different take for the pair, who in the new film are not Siamese cats, the insiders added.

Walt Disney Studios confirmed Monae’s musical involvement, as did a rep for the singer. “We’re dealing with Wondaland, her team of incredibly creative writers and producers that she works with. So our director has engaged with her in terms of what the storytelling [of] the song needs to be,” Kaylin Frank, a vice president in Creative Music and Soundtracks at Disney, said at the recent MUSEXPO Creative Summit in Burbank, Calif.

Frank reassured the conference that while the film is set in 1910 and has a blues-ragtime vibe, Monae’s personal sound will be represented. There’s also a possibility Wondaland will do a pass on the film’s signature song “He’s a Tramp,” another individual added.
Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/lady ... 203204041/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It wouldn't be the DVDizzy forum without imaginary crises to live in fear of.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: I can't see Disney touching Oliver & Company especially since they're already making a contemporary version of Oliver Twist.
Agreed. I see The Rescuers or even The Aristocats more likely to get remade for the streaming service than Oliver & Company.
Sure they'll leave Oliver last on the list to make but if the others are successful(keep in mind their success would be measured quite differently from a theatrical film) I really think they will eventually get around to making it. And it would be even cheaper to make since it would be much easier to translate to a current day setting (and NYC to boot) than L&TT and Aristocats.

anyway Im pleasantly surprised they are keeping the original's time period, I really thought they were going to modernize it!
Last edited by unprincess on Mon May 06, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

unprincess wrote: Sure they'll leave Oliver last on the list to make but if the others are successful(keep in mind their success would be measured quite differently from a theatrical film) I really think they will eventually get around to making it. And it would be even cheaper to make since it would be much easier to translate to a current day setting (and NYC to boot) than L&TT and Aristocats.

anyway Im pleasantly surprised they are keeping the origials time period, I really thought they were going to modernize it!
One thing I would love is if they made live-action remakes for both The Rescuers and Oliver and connected them through Penny like the original plan was. Jenny always felt like a bland knockoff for my taste.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I never knew that! That's right, Penny was adopted by a wealthy NYC couple at the end! I would have loved Oliver and Co as a sort of sequel to Rescuers. :up:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

unprincess wrote:I never knew that! That's right, Penny was adopted by a wealthy NYC couple at the end! I would have loved Oliver and Co as a sort of sequel to Rescuers. :up:
Which is ironic since The Rescuers was meant to feature Cruella as the villain so that would have been a sort of unofficial sequel to 101 Dalmatians. That's three films that could have been linked together and each one is reflective of a specific decade.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That would have been a cool trilogy!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Personally, I prefer it they are standalone movies and not connected. I'm glad Disney was above cheap gimmicks like that at the time. And I prefer Jenny to Penny. Both in terms of design and disposition. Oliver & Co. always had a special place in my heart. The music, the setting, the characters, the '80s sensibility really captured my imagination. To this day it remains my favorite animal-led Disney movie.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I prefer them separate as well. I would have liked them linked only if they were original pieces and not based on preexisting source material from three different authors.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad they didn't include Cruella, because I love Medusa as a villain. Sure, they share some similarities but they're mostly different beyond a few superficial things. Jenny, on the other hand, was an incredibly bland character imo, from her design to her personality. Not at all like Penny who is the heart of her film and isn't at all cloyingly sickening the way many child characters can be.
ImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Sotiris wrote:Oliver & Co. always had a special place in my heart. The music, the setting, the characters, the '80s sensibility really captured my imagination. To this day it remains my favorite animal-led Disney movie.
oh Im glad Im not the only one, its my nostalgic sentimental favorite b/c it was the first "newly made" Disney film I saw at theaters. I had seen the Snow White rerelease the year before but we had to sit all the way in the front of a packed theater which made it hard to see the film(still enjoyed it, though I didn't really appreciate it as much until I got the dvd years later.)

Oliver though made me a Disney animation fan, so I will always love it no matter how rough and outdated it looks. :up: :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It would have been a cool trilogy, but the films are better as their own things like you guys said.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Sotiris wrote:
Monae’s artist collective Wondaland is also “reinventing” a track from the original 1955 animated movie, individuals close to the project said. That would be “The Siamese Cat Song,” originally recorded by Peggy Lee for the feline duo Si and Am in the animated version. Those characters and their famous refrain — “We are Siamese if you please / We are Siamese if you don’t please” — have long been considered a cringe-worthy depiction of Asian culture. Wondaland contributors Nate “Rocket” Wonder and Roman GianArthur are working on a different take for the pair, who in the new film are not Siamese cats, the insiders added.
"We are domestic short hair cats
We knock over stuff and act like prats"

:P

I know a lot of feathers have been ruffled by this announcement, but I would have thought it logical/inevitable that they would have at least done away with the funny accents and the song in a remake of Lady and the Tramp, even if they had technically kept them Siamese as a breed.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Janelle Monáe is great casting for Peg. She is the main reason i'm looking forward to this movie.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Expect this to have excellent voice acting and Darling and Aunt sarah to be well played but otherwise be totally forgettable.
But the songs will probably be good,

But iam greatful it was made just beacuse i get to hear Janelle Monáe voice Peg and sing he's a Tramp.

I expet thessa Thompson to knock it out of the park as Lady though.

Also why not David Tennant as Jock ?

But maybe Tennat is too young.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think it's good this a streaming movie. I don't think this would be success in theaters.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

First Look: See the Canine Cast Starring in the Live-Action Lady and the Tramp Remake
https://people.com/pets/first-look-lady ... mp-remake/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I love that they are using rescue dogs!!! Ugh, I'm not for the remakes but these dogs are so cute!!!
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

So Jock is a girl now. Huh.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »