Pixar Blu-Rays

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
beautifuleyes07

Pixar Blu-Rays

Post by beautifuleyes07 »

I was wondering if it was worth upgrading my Pixar DVD's to Blu-Rays? I currently have Up, the Toy Story movies and Monsters Inc. on Blu-Ray. I'm mostly interested in the bonus features. It doesn't seem like the other Blu-Rays (Car's, Ratatouille, A Bug's Life, etc.) have a lot of additional material. Should I upgrade, or should I wait? Any opinions would be great! Thanks!
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Yes. One of those. Bonus features shouldn't be the reason for upgrading ever in my opinion. If you like the films and want to see them in the best audio and visual quality then upgrade to Blu-ray. But bonus features are just that, bonus (as in extra, peripheral, not necessary).
RIPJoeRanft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RIPJoeRanft »

If you have an HD-TV and blu ray player, then absolutely. The picture and audio quality is second to none. They look amazing, especially Cars. And I've always found the extras on the blus to be good, although I do not own any regular DVD versions of the films, so do not how much different they are.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Can I just say though that the amount of extras on "Toy Story 3" for it's DVD release was awesome? Nice disc cover art as well, it really caught me off guard that Disney made a decent DVD again.

You could do what I've been doing. Part I doing this becuase I refuse to re-buy anything, part becuase I honestly feel the older films just don't look as good, you could own the Pixar film before 2005/ 06 on DVD and everything since on Blu Ray. You said you have "Monster's Inc." but besides that, just an idea. If you have none of the films yet though, I guess it wouldn't matter in that case. The "Toy Story" 1 and 2 Blu Ray are not complete if you are talking extras. "The Ultimate Toy Box" from like 10 years ago is possibly the most complete DVD or Blu Ray for extras for these films.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

True, but the new Blu-rays have things not on the Ultimate Toy Box Set. Neither one is really complete.

On the other note, "A Bug's Life" doesn't have a whole lot the previous two-disc DVD set doesn't, but it looks amazing. Frankly, all the Pixar films look great on Blu-ray, but if special features at all concern you, "Ratatouille" and "Cars" got the shaft somewhat (the DVD versions did too, frankly, seeing all the two-disc sets Pixar often gets).
Last edited by SpringHeelJack on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
beautifuleyes07

Post by beautifuleyes07 »

While the Blu-Ray picture quality is amazing (I was amazed at the picture on Toy Story and Toy Story 2 when I first got them on Blu-Ray!), the bonus features always gives me that extra incentive to buy it, escpecially since I don't <i>need</i> the movie. Thanks for all your input! Oh, and it's interesting to see everyones opinions!
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

i found cars mindblowing on blu, and monsters as well... you can see the faint veins in mikes eye. i didnt notice that much difference with wall-e and ratatouille, and havent yet watched the toy stories. [im keeping the 3d visuals in mind as long as possible, lol] up seemed pretty good, but i havent watched the dvd, so cant compare the picture.

definately worth getting if you have the right set up.
big kid at heart
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I don't normally care for special features when I buy DVDs/Blu-Rays, even if I've seen the movie before. Some things you should consider are

#1. Have I seen this movie before? How much did I enjoy it?

#2. Do I care for special features and picture/audio quality? If so, buy Blu.
If not, it's cheaper to buy a DVD.

#3. How many times am I watching it? Will I watch it once then forget about it? (rent it from your local library to save some money. Many librarys carry Blu-Ray movies now.)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Cars and Ratatouilles extras will last you a bit as well. especially compared to their dvds.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar Blu-Rays

Post by blackcauldron85 »

For anyone that has the "big head" covers with Blu-ray + digital- are there bonus features on these releases? (I'm struggling finding the answer!)
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:For anyone that has the "big head" covers with Blu-ray + digital- are there bonus features on these releases? (I'm struggling finding the answer!)
Yes of cours there are ALWAYS bonus features on ANY blu ray release but all of the Pixar releases so far (except for Toy Story That Time Forgot and the initial blu rays of Cars 1, Ratatouille, Wall.e, and Up) also contain a DVD :)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Patricier21 wrote:Yes of cours there are ALWAYS bonus features on ANY blu ray release but all of the Pixar releases so far (except for Toy Story That Time Forgot and the initial blu rays of Cars 1, Ratatouille, Wall.e, and Up) also contain a DVD :)
:) Do you know if they have making-of documentaries on the "big head" releases (I just can't find the answer online!)? Thank you![/u]
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Patricier21 wrote:Yes of cours there are ALWAYS bonus features on ANY blu ray release but all of the Pixar releases so far (except for Toy Story That Time Forgot and the initial blu rays of Cars 1, Ratatouille, Wall.e, and Up) also contain a DVD :)
:) Do you know if they have making-of documentaries on the "big head" releases (I just can't find the answer online!)? Thank you![/u][/quote

Yes, of course they ALWAYS have ALL of thee special features (aside from Digital and unfortunately and unreasonably US exclusive Movie Anywhere Exclusives. Its been nearly 5 years and Movies Anywhere is still exclusive to the US with NO way to access this exclusive extras unless someone uploads them :(