High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yes, I loved Seb + Carlos' "Bop To The Top" dance at the very beginning, I'm so glad he showed up to the dance, but I loved that the STEM teacher gave that pep talk, that Carlos went for it, and Ashlynn + everyone else danced with him! I'm proud of Disney for showing gay relationships. I don't want Gina + Ricky to hurt each other; will they be friends or more? I wasn't happy about it when watching it, but you're right- they need a friend. How will Ricky handle his dad + Miss Jenn?! I wonder if whoever is Ryan backs out of the show or gets fired + Carlos ends up playing Ryan. In the preview for next week: EJ said (not quite verbatim), "What happened to the plan, because I'm still the understudy, and you seem happy(er)?!" Nini + EJ will be miserable for a while. And I loved, loved Kourtney's song (+ her voice!!) so, so much!!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm so glad he showed up to the dance too. I hope we get more couple moments between the two and I'd love if Carlos got the role of Ryan!

I'm hoping Gina and Ricky will just be friends because I feel like anything else will be a lot of extra and unnecessary drama. Ricky will definitely not be a happy camper when he learns about his dad and his teacher.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad Miss Jenn got her job back by the end and that all the students rallied around her. I really like Ricky and Gina's chemistry and would like to see them as a couple. They have a lot more chemistry than the other couples in this show (Nini with basically any other male character for example). Nini was kept to a minimum this episode which made it way more tolerable.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

I loved the new song + Ricky's WTWM+Y acoustic!! And did you notice Kaycee Stroh (Martha Cox, pop 'n lock girl) in the school board meeting?!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yes, I completely forgot to mention her! I was so psyched by her brief appearance on the panel. That was such a fun cameo and I can't wait for more.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

I had the thought: While Gina seems genuine about Ricky, you don't think she's acting to continue to mess with Nini, do you? It doesn't appear that way, but I wanted to bring it up.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

That would be an interesting twist which I wouldn't expect. However, I think this is her genuine self. She seemed to give up on her plan after she realized there was no plan with EJ and she had a real heart-to-heart with Ricky in the car after the dance.
ImageImage
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I loved the new song + Ricky's WTWM+Y acoustic!! And did you notice Kaycee Stroh (Martha Cox, pop 'n lock girl) in the school board meeting?!
I saw her stand up and thought 'I know this person' and then she did her move and I thought 'yesssss'!

I really hope if this gets renewed, other originals will make a cameo too!
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Season 2 was renewed even before the show premiered, so you're in luck.
https://deadline.com/2019/10/high-schoo ... 202763808/
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Episode 7:
Big Red + Ashlyn = :)
Miss Jenn + Benjamin = :)
I want a group of friends to play HSM: The Board Game with!
Nina + Gina = :)
Gina moving = :(

And there's a HSMTMTS special; I haven't watched it yet though.

*edit* I did watch the special (it's short, only 23 minutes). I really liked the old and new both shown. Minor spoilers for future episodes...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Wow, this was a really emotional episode. This is the second time the actress who plays Gina has played a character who moves in a TV show. I'm hoping by the season's end, she'll find a way to stay.

I'll have to check out the special soon.
ImageImage
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

I loved the last episode, and I thought Lucas Grabeels cameo was great.
Allthough, having used him now as they did, in a dream sequence, I don't see how other 'famous' HSM alumni could pop up, since they are themselves in the world of HSM the series.

Here is the music video with Lucas.

Here's an interesting interview with Lucas about Ryan and his sexuality and his take on it, compared to the 'openly out' characters in HSM the series.
https://tvline.com/2019/12/27/high-scho ... interview/
“People have always asked me if Ryan was gay,” Grabeel says. “I’ve seen a lot of performances from the tours or high schools or community theaters, and they always take Ryan to that place of being way over the top. That’s fine, but that’s not exactly the way I played it. I had a lot of talks with [director Kenny Ortega] about his own experience in high school. He was not out, and he wasn’t running around being that way, but he had that energy inside of him. It’s such an important time in your life, and you’re figuring so many things out. Now, thankfully, people are much more accepting and welcoming of other people’s differences.”
Like all teenagers, Ryan was still figuring things out in high school. “Ryan was a guy who was really excited about theater and art and dance choreography and bright colors and hats,” Grabeel says. “But he also liked Kelsey, and he really liked [Zeke]. He didn’t need a label, because he wasn’t ready for that. He was still learning about himself and about people and where he fit into the world.”
“I didn’t mean for it to be a giant statement,” Grabeel adds. “I actually wanted to be kind of subtle. I wanted to add nuance and little things that you might catch the second or third time you see the movies. I wanted people to think, ‘That character’s more complex than I thought,’ instead of saying, ‘Oh, he comes out in pink and you know he’s gay.’ That’s not what we had in mind. We had a lot of fun with putting in all those little nuances along the way.”
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Thank you for posting that Lucas Grabeel interview, WillytheDino.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

WillytheDino wrote: I loved the last episode, and I thought Lucas Grabeels cameo was great.
Allthough, having used him now as they did, in a dream sequence, I don't see how other 'famous' HSM alumni could pop up, since they are themselves in the world of HSM the series.
Why do you feel this way? Even though it was a dream sequence, he played himself. Maybe Alyson Reed will be in the audience opening night, or Vanessa Hudgens will have sent a taped "congrats" video for the cast, I don't know. But I think, whether this season or next or 3, I think the actors could just play themselves.

For Ep. 8:
Big Red: "I don't know how to make things light up."
Ashlyn: "You walk into a room."
I <3 them!

Seb taking with Kourtney about how her makeup work on him makes him look how he feels = <3

I loved seeing Lucas, and I absolutely loved the song!! And lol at Miss Jenn saying she's more of a Glinda, because the actress played her!

Great episode!
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
WillytheDino wrote: I loved the last episode, and I thought Lucas Grabeels cameo was great.
Why do you feel this way? Even though it was a dream sequence, he played himself. Maybe Alyson Reed will be in the audience opening night, or Vanessa Hudgens will have sent a taped "congrats" video for the cast, I don't know. But I think, whether this season or next or 3, I think the actors could just play themselves.
They made it clear that the original cast are big celebs (like how they are in the real world), so I don't see Zac or Ashley show up because they are too famous. It would make the show unrealistic. Vanessa sending a tape would seem plausible, but why would she do that, since there have been 100 productions of HSM the musical in this reality.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see them, but it needs to make sense.
blackcauldron85

^ I gotcha, that makes sense, thanks for explaining to me!!

Ep 9:
Big Red + Ashlyn's high-five :brick: I love them!!
Big Red + the sound board mishaps :lol:
Kourtney taking on Taylor and how Ms. Jenn wants to see her after Christmas break!
Gina!
Status Quo = <3 <3
Their Ryan doesn't sing?!
Poor Ricky. :(
Hopefully next week they'll show Act 2 with EJ as Troy

Did anyone else get an email from Disney+ with a survey about this show? It asked me to rate from 1-10 the characters...
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Solid season finale. Really liked how this season went with a beginning - middle - end.
Curious to find out what the spring musical will be. HSM2 seems weird, so maybe something else Disney?
blackcauldron85

I Ioved the finale. EJ really, really stepped up, so I was happy there. So happy about Big Red + Ashlyn! Uh-oh for Miss Jenn + Benjamin!! What will Nini choose? I bet Ashlyn will have Gina stay at her house so she doesn't have to move away. FYI, the soundtrack came out 2 days ago; I downloaded it this morning!! Since the show is HSM, I can see them doing HSM2 or a mashup of 2+3 and maybe even SFA...?!
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I Ioved the finale. EJ really, really stepped up, so I was happy there. So happy about Big Red + Ashlyn! Uh-oh for Miss Jenn + Benjamin!! What will Nini choose? I bet Ashlyn will have Gina stay at her house so she doesn't have to move away. FYI, the soundtrack came out 2 days ago; I downloaded it this morning!! Since the show is HSM, I can see them doing HSM2 or a mashup of 2+3 and maybe even SFA...?!
I would love that since I'm a big fan of part 2 and even more of 3, but I'm not sure 'cause they (lowkey) bashed the sequels in the first episode :lol:
blackcauldron85

Yeah...I don't think Miss Jenn bashed them, so just maybe we'll get them!

**edit** Confirmation it's not HSM2:
https://d23.com/tim-federle-tells-all-a ... on-finale/

***edit, same article***
Corbin Bleu has been such a vocal champion and supporter of the show, and really shouted from rooftops about it, starting right at D23 Expo 2019.
I know he's been busy on Broadway, but omg do the show Corbin <3!!