High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Episode #3: I actually cried during Miss Jenn's theater kids speech. She really just wants what's best for these kids and to have them thrive, and I think it's absolutely beautiful!
blackcauldron85

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... ries.html/
“A few people have reached out. Corbin Bleu, who plays Chad, and Olivia Coleman, who plays Taylor,” Joshua Bassett, said on Access Daily. Bassett plays Ricki who scores the role of Troy Bolton in the show. “Kenny Ortega reached out. He obviously directed and choreographed the first three films. So getting [sic] their blessing was really nice.”
Obviously they meant Monique...

This is a good read, and it confirms a cameo from someone (they won't say who) from the original(s):
https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/08/high-schoo ... interview/
My guesses are Corbin (!!) or Monique (since they reached out), or maybe Alyson Reed (Ms. Darbus), Bart Johnson (Mr. Bolton), maybe Mrs. Bolton or Gabriella's mom, or maybe Olesya Rulin (Kelsi).
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

blackcauldron85 wrote:https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... ries.html/
“A few people have reached out. Corbin Bleu, who plays Chad, and Olivia Coleman, who plays Taylor,” Joshua Bassett, said on Access Daily. Bassett plays Ricki who scores the role of Troy Bolton in the show. “Kenny Ortega reached out. He obviously directed and choreographed the first three films. So getting [sic] their blessing was really nice.”
Obviously they meant Monique...

This is a good read, and it confirms a cameo from someone (they won't say who) from the original(s):
https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/08/high-schoo ... interview/
My guesses are Corbin (!!) or Monique (since they reached out), or maybe Alyson Reed (Ms. Darbus), Bart Johnson (Mr. Bolton), maybe Mrs. Bolton or Gabriella's mom, or maybe Olesya Rulin (Kelsi).
It's Lucas Grabeel. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/L ... S-20191121
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

^ Thank you! That's sooo exciting! I wonder why he hasn't reached out to the cast, unless they weren't allowed to say, or he just has been busy...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I hope in future seasons (assuming this show will have future seasons if that hasn't been confirmed already), we can see a reunion of the original cast.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I hope in future seasons (assuming this show will have future seasons if that hasn't been confirmed already), we can see a reunion of the original cast.
It's been confirmed that is has been renewed for a second season :)

I really like this show. The characters look like they really are in high school, and the story and the pacing is smoothly so far. I'm optimistic.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad a second season has been confirmed. And I really like how the entire cast is actually in high school (with the exception of EJ's actor).

I finally got around to watching the three episodes released so far and I really like this show a lot! The only thing that surprised me is that because of all the Glee comparisons, I figured there would be more songs and musical performances.

Apparently fans are already divided between Team Ricky or Team EJ. I actually kinda like and dislike both so I'm mixed even though it's obvious that Ricky will be the victor.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

I mean, with EJ doing shady stuff with Nini's phone, and Ricky trying hard in the rehearsals, I think it'd be hard to be team EJ. At first I was upset with Ricky and glad Nini had a good guy like EJ, but EJ's just acting bad now...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:I mean, with EJ doing shady stuff with Nini's phone, and Ricky trying hard in the rehearsals, I think it'd be hard to be team EJ. At first I was upset with Ricky and glad Nini had a good guy like EJ, but EJ's just acting bad now...
Except Nini herself stole her rival's shoes and then she and her friend stole pretty much everything else that belonged to her. She did apologize and return the stuff at the end but EJ also went as far as making a song to explain what he did and apologize even if he didn't go through with it at the last minute. So none of the characters so far are really innocent.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

No, I don't think they're innocent, but as far as EJ vs Ricky, Ricky's looking like the better person at the moment...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I suppose that's true although I didn't like how Ricky has no love or care for musicals but was willing to mess one up just to get Nini back despite knowing what it means to her. I'm glad she called him out on that and he realized she was right.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

I feel that Ricky has been trying, like rehearsing in the library. He's learning to appreciate musicals, I think ...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Honestly I was pretty horrified that he started screaming at the cinema screen when watching The Greatest Showman and he and Nini were kicked out of the theater for this.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

If I were Nini, I'd be hesitant to get back with Ricky, but I truly believe that the whole working-on-a-musical thing is changing Ricky. When you don't appreciate something until you experience it, you know?
(And yesterday's episode made me cry. I feel bad for him.)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

He does seem to be slowly changing and I really felt for him and his issues with his family. Although I didn't quite understand why he felt it was appropriate to go to Nini's house and stay the night when they are no longer a couple and barely speaking. It was odd that Nini's mom was willing to supersede her daughter's wishes there but I guess she knew what Ricky was going through.

Also, Nini really bothered me in this episode tbh. Her behavior at the beginning during rehearsal was super unprofessional and she and EJ botched that song. I'm almost rooting for Nini's rival (I don't remember her name but the one who plays Buffy in Andi Mack) to win the role because she seems way more invested.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

I just figured that Ricky had a good relationship with one or both of Nini's mom's; he just needed a safe place to stay with adults he could trust.

Nini should have been more professional, but being a teenager is hard... I need to know what Gina's scheme with EJ is... I feel like eventually something will happen, and she'll be more friendly with everyone, like Sharpay...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

This is the first time we've seen Nini's mom right? We haven't seen most of these kids with their home lives much besides Ricky.

I forgot that Gina is her name. I'm not sure how she plans on getting rid of Nini through her plan either. Speaking of Sharpay, we've seen next to nothing for the guy who won the role of Sharpay which is a pity. I enjoyed that scene in the trailer and it made me expect that he would be a prominent character since he's playing such a big role.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

We saw both of Nini's moms in maybe Ep 1; Nini was at the table and they were both there.

Yeah, I wanted more of the guy playing Sharpay, too...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:We saw both of Nini's moms in maybe Ep 1; Nini was at the table and they were both there.

Yeah, I wanted more of the guy playing Sharpay, too...
You're right, I completely forgot that we were introduced to her two moms in that episode. I was hoping they'd have more of a presence though. It reminds me of how in Glee, Rachel had two dads who she constantly mentioned but who we didn't see until seasons later.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I hate to say this but I find Nini really unlikable. There hasn't been a single episode where she hasn't been griping about some "issue" in her life even though all the people around her have it clearly worse. I liked her enough in the beginning because I could sympathize with her issues with Ricky but Ricky or no Ricky, this girl turns everything into some major drama and trying to flush her Homecoming dress down the school toilet was the lowest point possible.

I still like Gina the most and loved her new hairstyle in this episode. I also loved getting to know the character more and enjoyed her new friendship with Ricky. He really needs a friend right now too since Big Red is utterly useless if we're being honest.

I'm glad that Seb was finally given a role because I was wondering why they hadn't done anything with him. Hope to see more of him and his relationship. That reminds me, do we even know who was cast in the role of Ryan?

This is also the first episode where I really liked the Drama Teacher. In the first few episodes, she came across as a caricature, just meant to evoke laughs and not feels, but this was the first episode that I really felt for her as a person. I'm interested in her new romance with Ricky's dad as well.

I'm also glad that Nini's friend (don't remember her name) finally got some prominent screentime and I really enjoyed her song. My fav song of the show so far.
ImageImage