DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disney Buys Fox
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think this 20-year-old script is now relevant again. Read on (or just skip to act two, scene three below) to see why...

The Disney Forum

INTRODUCTION
Peter David once wrote a rather humorous script called 'But I digress', where Snow White, Ariel, Belle and Jasmine got together and discussed various topics. The characters were satirised to the extreme, with all the Disney characters insulting each other and making wise remarks. If you want to see, Tony Cha's got a transcript on his webpage. (Tony, I expect to be well paid for this advertising. :)) Having perhaps a little too much time on my hands, I decided to adapt his idea into a completely new script. Instead of a roundtable discussion, the Disney characters appear on a fictious talk show (so don't bother searching the Disney channel for this one :)) and all the characters are from the modern era (i.e. post-TLM). I tried to keep the number down so some heroines, namely Nala and Esmeralda, do not appear in this script. To fans of those characters, my apologies. But why post this to the Arielholics mailing list, you might wonder... hmmm, I'm wondering that too, so if anyone figures out, email me. :) Finally, this script will be put up on Anita's webpage. In the unlikely chance that you actually like this script and somehow delete it, go to Anita's page. Good ol' Anita, you can always depend on her. (Anita, I expect to be well paid by you as well :)) So if you've got some time, feel extremely bored and want to waste a few minutes, read on:

DISCLAIMER: This script is rated R. It has coarse language, high level violence, adult themes, nudity and sex scenes. (Yeah!!!) Just kidding. (Aww...) Some scenes may offend or shock some readers. The writer of this script accepts no responsibility for any psychological trauma inflicted by this script. Let's assume Freud was right, so sue your mom instead.

WALT DISNEY PICTURES
AND TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX
IN ASSOCIATION WITH FREEDOM PRODUCTIONS LIMITED
PROUDLY PRESENT
THE DISNEY FORUM
A PLAY BY JOEL KING

STARRING
ARIEL
BELLE
JASMINE
POCAHONTAS
MEGARA
AND THE ARIELHOLICS
SPECIAL GUEST STAR ANASTASIA
(I'M SERIOUS ABOUT THAT ONE)
AND THE SEVEN DWARFS
(OKAY, MAYBE NOT ABOUT THAT ONE)

---

ACT ONE, SCENE ONE: BACKSTAGE OF A TV STUDIO

Ariel and Belle are talking.

BELLE: (complaining) And he's so uncommunicative. We never talk anymore. Personally, I think he's been busy with that cleaning maid.

ARIEL: (sympathetically) All men are like that. The only things Eric says nowadays are "Are you going to eat that?" and "Stop hogging the blanket."

Jasmine walks up to them.

ARIEL: (whispering) Ugh... don't look now. It's Miss Street Mouse.

JASMINE: Hey, do you know where the bathroom is?

ARIEL: (helpfully) I think it's down that corridor.

JASMINE: Thanks.

Jasmine leaves.

BELLE: Ariel, that's the exit.

ARIEL: (exaggerating) Whoops. Geez, how could I make such a mistake?

Debbie opens a side door and looks at them.

DEBBIE: Hey, you guys are on in five minutes! Got it? (looks at them again) I thought Jasmine was going to be here.

ARIEL: She must have got... um, lost.

DEBBIE: Whatever. Five minutes!

---

ACT TWO, SCENE TWO: ONSTAGE

Dan walks onstage. Everyone claps.

DAN: (nods) Thank you, thank you. Please, please.
Applause stops.
Hi, I'm your host, Dan Black, and welcome to the Disney Forum. Today we've got some special guests on the show. They'll be telling us their thoughts on the topic of the public impact of their respective films. Please give a warm welcome to Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas and Meg!

Applause as Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas and Meg enter. They wave and then sit down. The applause continues for another minute and then stops.

DAN: Okay, welcome on the show.

ARIEL: Thanks, Dan.

In the audience, Jay raises his hand.

DAN: Hey, we're one minute into the show and we already have a question. Go ahead, Jay.

Jay stands.

JAY: I thought Jasmine was going to be here as well.

ARIEL: She must have got lost.

BELLE: Yeah, with all those confusing corridors backstage, it's bound to happen to anyone. After all, she's been stuck in a palace all her life. No wonder she's got a lousy sense of direction.

Jay sits down.

DAN: Okay, today's topic is: What sort of impact do you think each of your films had on the general public? We'll start with Meg.

MEG: Well, I think "Hercules" did pretty well. It was fresh and entertaining.

ARIEL: It was a flop!

POCAHONTAS: I rather liked yours, Meg.

MEG: Thanks, Pocahontas.

BELLE: (to Pocahontas) Yours was a flop too! Everyone was expecting so much after "The Lion King" and you let us down!

POCAHONTAS: Well, sor-rie for not having any stupid 'happy-happy' songs with lots of little animals dancing.

ARIEL: They're not stupid! They played a crucial part in the movie, although I don't know what the point of "Be Our Guest" was.

BELLE: Hey! I thought you were on my side!

MEG: Whooo... what cutting betrayal! Et tu, Ariel?

ARIEL: Shut up! No one asked for your smart aleck comments!

MEG: What's the matter? The little princess can dish it out, but can't hack it herself?

Marci raises her hand.

ALL: What?

Marci stands up.

MARCI: Not that I don't enjoy seeing my favorite Disney characters argue like a bunch of fighting cocks...

Paul looks at her strangely.

MARCI: Not those sorts of cocks!

PAUL: Oh.

DAN: Go on, Marci.

ARIEL: Can we try to speed this up? I've got a merchandising meeting to attend soon.

POCAHONTAS: I promised to help with the harvest.

MARCI: Okay, okay. Disney seems to be moving away from the "prince/princess fairy tale" sort of story. What do you think about it?

MEG: Obviously, it's an indication that spoiled little princesses aren't needed anymore.

ARIEL: That's not true! The classic fairy tale has always taught little children important morals!

MEG: Like the only thing important to women is a hunky husband?

POCAHONTAS: Well, in all fairness, Meg, Hercules is rather "hunky" himself.

ARIEL: (dreamingly) Yeah... he's so beautiful.

BELLE: Isn't that what you said about Eric?

ARIEL: (snaps back to reality) What?

BELLE: You said Eric was (patronizingly) "so beautiful" as well.

ARIEL: Well, just because I'm married doesn't mean I can't look.

MEG: That's all that seems to matter to you, Ariel: looks, looks, looks. Face it, you're just another hormone-driven teenager.

ARIEL: I resent that comment!

MEG: You would!

ARIEL: At least I'm not a feministic man-hater!

MEG: At least I'm not a spoiled little bimbo!

DAN: Um, I think we'll take a short break.

---

ACT TWO, SCENE TWO: ONSTAGE

DAN: Welcome back. In case you've just tuned into the Disney Forum, today's topic is: What sort of impact did certain Disney films have on the general public. Belle's been rather quiet. We'll start with her.

BELLE: I think "Beauty and the Beast" is a great picture.

MEG: We're not too up ourselves, are we?

BELLE: Hey, the public thought so. We got six Academy Award nominations! Including Best Picture!

POCAHONTAS: Here we go again...

ARIEL: I think you ran on my movie's momentum. If it wasn't for "The Little Mermaid", yours wouldn't have done half as well.

Tony raises his hand. Dan nods and Tony stands up.

TONY: I don't believe that's true, Ariel. "Beauty and the Beast" is a wonderful film in its own right.

MEG: I liked the musical version better. Especially the original Broadway one. That Belle had a great voice. Really superb.

POCAHONTAS: Look who's talking about people being up themselves.

DAN: Okay, Ariel, what about your film?

ARIEL: I think "The Little Mermaid" was the one which gave new life into Disney animation. Face it, before my film, Disney was having a dry run. All the ones after mine rode on its success.

TONY: Hey, I just said...

Ariel clicks her fingers and a group of loyalist Arielholics led by Urchin take him away.

ARIEL: Now, what was I doing again?

MEG: Inflating your own ego.

ARIEL: Hey, look at my following! I've got my own annual convention!

MEG: A bunch of obsessed fanatics all flocking to Disney World and dancing like idiots in a parade. Gee, I'm so jealous.

ANITA: Excuse me, I organized that!

MEG: Now we know who to blame.

TIM: ArielCon was good fun!

MEG: Mindless fun is more like it.

ARIEL: (to Meg) At least I have a following.

BELLE: No offense, Ariel, but a lot of your followers are also big fans of the rest of us as well. We have followings of our own too.

ARIEL: Hey, my film's been re-released twice!

MEG: Haven't they suffered enough already?

ARIEL: You're lucky that yours is getting on video! I mean, that song "I Won't Say" is just awful!

BELLE: I thought it was a fascinating commentary on a rather complex psychological state.

POCAHONTAS: What?

MEG: Thanks, Belle... I think. Back to my song - it's refreshing and new. I mean, yours is just stupid, Ariel. "Where they don't reprimand their daughters?" Yeah, right! Talk about naive!

Jasmine enters.

JASMINE: (angrilly) Ariel!!!

POCAHONTAS: Hey, she's back.

BELLE: To state the obvious.

DAN: Well, it's time for a break. Stay tuned.

---

ACT TWO, SCENE THREE: ONSTAGE

DAN: Welcome back. Okay, let's continue the discussion with Pocahontas. How do you feel your film went?

POCAHONTAS: Although it wasn't necessarily a financial success, it brought a sense of seriousness to Disney animation, as well as considering many ethical issues.

BELLE: In other words, it was a documentary.

MEG: And not very historically accurate at that.

Marci stands up.

MARCI: (shouting) It's a movie! It's not meant to be historically accurate.

MEG: Hey, look. It's a loony Arielholic. Security!

Marci is dragged away. Celia tackles a security guard. The rest of the Arielholics attack the security people.

DOUG: Die, you pathetic piece of pond scum!!!

WILLIAM: You call this bacon?

DREY: What lovely grapes!

CERI: Hey! Someone's touching me!

LORI: Some cheese, one pound!

SIRENA: I... can't... breathe...

TERRI: Ten yards.

STEVE: I'll get the knife.

TERRY: Ow!

SHAD: Excuse me! Please let me through!

CHRIS: Who's got their foot in my face?

JEFF: This bread...

OCARINA: I've got mace!

ANNA: Those fish... they smell!

JOEL: Argh!!!

JOZEF: Madam's mistaken.

Dan ignores the fight.

DAN: Please continue.

POCAHONTAS: I thought "Colors of the Wind" was especially significant. Not only was it breathtaking, but it also highlighted the issue of land abuse and respect for nature.

BELLE: How environmentally sound.

MEG: Greenie on the loose!

ARIEL: (gasping) Help me!

DAN: Um, Jasmine, perhaps you can stop strangling Ariel for a minute and talk to us about what impact your film had.

JASMINE: She tricked me!

ARIEL: (between gasps) It... wasn't... very... difficult.

Jasmine strangles Ariel even more. Pocahontas and Belle grab Jasmine and force her away from Ariel.

POCAHONTAS: Stop it! We're all connected in the circle of life! Whoops, wrong film.

BELLE: And Ariel's a fellow Disney heroine!

MEG: More importantly, Ariel's a profitable corporate trademark.

DAN: Okay, let's continue with Jasmine's comments.

JASMINE: "Aladdin" was obviously a remarkable success. It was about dreams coming true and exploring whole new worlds.

MEG: "Dreams coming true?" "Exploring whole new worlds?" How tacky can you get?

ARIEL: Sounds like mine.

BELLE: And a bit like mine.

ARIEL: Maybe that's why our films did well, Meg. Unlike some others I won't mention...

A young woman with brown hair and blue eyes walks onstage.

POCAHONTAS: Who are you?

JASMINE: You look familiar...

BELLE: Anastasia?

ANYA: How's it going?

MEG: Hey, this is the Disney Forum.

ANYA: Yeah, but everyone thinks I'm a Disney character so I may as well hang out with you people.

MEG: Sure, okay. At least you seem more intelligent than most of these people. Then again, a toaster would be smarter than these four spoiled brats.

DAN: Er, okay. So, um, Anastasia...

ANYA: Anastasia's kinda formal. You can call me Anya, Dan.

Anya smiles at him. Dan blushes.

DAN: Okay, Anya, what sort of impact did you think your film have?

ANYA: As you already know, "Anastasia" is Fox's first real attempt at epic animation. I think it's good in that it's challenging Disney's hold on the market and hopefully creating a little competition, which should raise standards.

ARIEL: I think you copied a lot of my clothes.

ANYA: You're just upset that our two films were pitted against each other. Nice try, but I still kicked.

ARIEL: Laugh it up, but you're taking on the almighty Disney, Anya. Such a futile effort. Soon, your pathetic little rebellion will be vanquished, along with your friends... yes, good, I feel the hatred within you. Take your weapon. Strike me down.

ANYA: I'll never turn to the Disney Side!

ARIEL: It is the only way to save your friends. Your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong, especially for... your dog. So you have a dog... now your thoughts have betrayed him too. If you will not turn to the Disney Side, then perhaps he will!

ANYA: Noooooo!!!

Anya charges at Ariel.

ARIEL: Argh!!! You stupid Fox character! Get therapy!

BELLE: (to Meg) Ten bucks on Ariel.

MEG: You're on. Go, Anya!

DAN: That's all we have time for. Join us tomorrow for tomorrow's topic: Should the Contemporary Resort, built in the 1970s, be renamed? Remember the magic, everyone!

THE END

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

http://www.bubbleblabber.com/winter-tca ... r-a-while/

"From the sounds of it, Dana Walden and Gary Newman are treating the Disney-FOX deal as an impasse at the moment if what’s to be believed as presented by the exec duo at the kick off of the TCA tour. Key takeaways from the panel include a business-as-usual environment for the next 18 months and will include 20th Century FOX ordering pilots, series, and the like. Also, it doesn’t sound like the Disney buy will hurt Family Guy or The Simpsons in terms of the Standards & Practices department is concerned:

For starters, the FOX broadcast network is looking at the buy as a great way to wipe the slate clean for a fresh start with the possibility of following a Gotham-like model of not necessarily owning anything in regards to production with the exception of just picking up the check and letting Warner Bros. do the heavy lifting. Live events, sports, and news will be a big part of the network, but there are 24 hours in a day and last I checked Sunday Night Football airs on NBC, so don’t expect to see The Simpsons and Family Guy go anywhere fast.

“They’re not acquiring Fox to turn it into some sort of PG company — or, as I think Bob [Iger] has said, to Disney-fy it.” says Gary Newman."

UPDATE: More info:

https://www.cbr.com/fox-tv-new-name-post-disney/

"Once 21st Century Fox’s sale to Disney goes through, the assets that are not part in the deal will live on under a new name: New Fox.

Fox CEOs/co-chairmen Dana Walden and Gary Newman laid out the breakdown of assets at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena. Disney is acquiring 21st Century Fox’s film and TV studio, the FX network, and National Geographic. Fox Broadcasting network and it’s stations, Fox News Channel, and other smaller assets will be spun off as a new company with a new name.

While this may sound simple enough, it does get a bit tricky. Until the deal is finalized — which will likely take 12-18 months — it will be business as usual for Fox. This means new television shows will continue to be developed, and a “similar” number of pilots will be order for the 2018-2019 TV season.

The duo explained that shows like The Simpsons and Empire will not change networks once the sale is finalized. Instead, current shows on Fox will presumably continue to remain with New Fox until their runs come to an end.

As for what New Fox will focus on once its in-house production studio is gone, Walden said, “80 percent of the programming in all of New Fox will be live and sports.” However, she also explained that “the network will continue to do entertainment programming” with outside studios like Warner Bros. and Sony having a better chance at getting their shows on the network"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:15 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:
“They’re not acquiring Fox to turn it into some sort of PG company — or, as I think Bob [Iger] has said, to Disney-fy it.” says Gary Newman."

Why do I have a feeling that is exactly what will happen? The "Disneyfication", that is?

Quote:
Until the deal is finalized — which will likely take 12-18 months — it will be business as usual for Fox. This means new television shows will continue to be developed, and a “similar” number of pilots will be order for the 2018-2019 TV season.

The duo explained that shows like The Simpsons and Empire will not change networks once the sale is finalized. Instead, current shows on Fox will presumably continue to remain with New Fox until their runs come to an end.

And then what will happen after these 12-18 months? "The Simpsons" haven't gone off the air yet, and at this rate, I doubt it will, at least not this soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:04 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's television division has produced Scrubs, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and other shows that wouldn't be classified as "Disney shows." Disney isn't above making shows not aimed at a family audience, so the idea they would cancel the likes of The Simpsons and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has never been rooted in any kind of reality.

Bob Iger has also been calling Fox's show creators to assure them he won't try and Disney-fy their programming:

Quote:
[Seth] MacFarlane said that he did talk to Disney chief Bob Iger, who reached out to him. “I had a very good phone call with him,” he said. Ryan Murphy, another prominent producer in the 20th stable, told reporters earlier in the day that Iger had called him as well. “I said point blank the stuff I do is not Disney and I’m not interested in that and I’m concerned about that. ‘Am I going to have put Mickey Mouse in ‘American Horror Story?'” Murphy said. “[Iger] said no and the reason Disney is buying Fox is that they believed in the assets and the executives and the creators.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:48 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Told you so. ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

estefan wrote:
Disney's television division has produced Scrubs, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and other shows that wouldn't be classified as "Disney shows." Disney isn't above making shows not aimed at a family audience, so the idea they would cancel the likes of The Simpsons and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has never been rooted in any kind of reality.

Bob Iger has also been calling Fox's show creators to assure them he won't try and Disney-fy their programming:

Quote:
[Seth] MacFarlane said that he did talk to Disney chief Bob Iger, who reached out to him. “I had a very good phone call with him,” he said. Ryan Murphy, another prominent producer in the 20th stable, told reporters earlier in the day that Iger had called him as well. “I said point blank the stuff I do is not Disney and I’m not interested in that and I’m concerned about that. ‘Am I going to have put Mickey Mouse in ‘American Horror Story?'” Murphy said. “[Iger] said no and the reason Disney is buying Fox is that they believed in the assets and the executives and the creators.”

Why do I have the feeling that they will indeed "Disney-fy" the shows, or at least put the Disney Television Animation logo at the end, replacing the 20th Television logo?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

They didn't add their logo to starwars, they might not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:21 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Big Disney Fan wrote:
Why do I have the feeling that they will indeed "Disney-fy" the shows, or at least put the Disney Television Animation logo at the end, replacing the 20th Television logo?

Why? How to Get Away with Murder, Black-ish, Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, The Good Doctor, Jimmy Kimmel Live and their various live-action Marvel shows (Agents of SHIELD, Jessica Jones, Inhumans, etc.) don't end with the Disney logo and they are Disney-produced shows. I also certainly wouldn't call those series family-friendly. Even Once Upon a Time, which is directly inspired by the Disney animated films, ends with the ABC Studios logo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Exactly! Just because Disney is family-friendly doesn't mean their divisions are. Their divisions can range anywhere from kids to adults wheras Disney themselves ranges just to kids and occasionally teenagers, the former applies also to Fox.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 pm 
Platinum Edition

I thought the sale was final but apparently it isn't yet. :?

Comcast Reportedly Considering Topping Disney's Bid For Fox
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/05/ ... mcast-bid/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

It would be nice if Comcast stole them away out of nowhere. Unlikely, but a nice thought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 am 
Collector's Edition

Personally, what really matters here is that the rights for X-Men and the Fantastic Four ends up at Disney. It is so frustrating to see so many characters scattered all over different studios. And I just can't stand seeing more X-Men movies done the wrong way by the wrong people. Yes, I know there are lots of people who like the X-Men movies, and I have no problems with that. I just can't stand them myself. It also feels wrong to see Fantastic Four in a universe where none of the other Marvel characters exist except from those connected to their comic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Update from Bob Iger via Disney Television Animation News:

"Disney CEO Bob Iger Provides Update On Fox Acquisition

Disney and 21st Century Fox made waves last year with their landmark deal, and now Disney’s CEO has given fans an update.

Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke to investors on the Quarter 1 earnings call, where he addressed the acquisition of 20th Century Fox (among other properties), how the deal is progressing, and what the next steps are.“Thanks, Low, and good afternoon, everyone,” Iger said. “Before we discuss the quarter and other developments across the company, a quick update about our recently announced acquisition. The regulatory process has begun in numerous jurisdictions across the world. And I spent the last several weeks meeting with a number of business leaders at Fox, gaining insight that will be invaluable when it comes to integrating our organizations once we have regulatory approval."Those regulatory processes that Iger is referring to could allow other companies to place a bid on the assets from 21st Century Fox, with the most recent rumor indicated Comcast might want to get into the mix.After that hurdle is cleared, Iger is excited not only about the new content but the teams and talent that are coming with those projects and IP."After these discussions, I’m even more enthusiastic about the businesses we’re acquiring and the management teams that are leading them. As we said, when we announced this deal, there are three primary strategic priorities fulfilled by this acquisition. It will deliver more content and the production capabilities and talent to produce even more. It will enhance our direct-to-consumer initiatives with platforms, technologies, brands and existing customer relationships to build on. And it will greatly diversify our businesses geographically. All three of these elements sync up perfectly with our own core strategies, and all three are designed to create growth in a very dynamic global marketplace.”"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 pm 
Gold Collection

Here's what the original report on Comcast says:

Quote:
If AT&T-Time Warner is able to move forward, Verizon immediately becomes another potential buyer of big media.

Comcast, CNBC's owner, could also consider topping Disney's bid for Fox, according to people familiar with the matter. No decision has been made by Comcast on a topping bid yet, said the people, who asked not to be named because the decision is private. Disney is already preparing itself for a Comcast topping bid and considering responses in case, according to multiple people familiar with Disney's thinking.

An unsolicited offer at a premium to Disney's bid could persuade enough Fox shareholders to vote against Murdoch. His family controls 39 percent of Fox's Class B voting shares but owns only 17 percent of all outstanding shares. Comcast executives suggested to Murdoch last year they would be willing to pay significantly more for Fox's assets than what Disney was offering, said the people. Murdoch still went with the Disney offer, in large part due to regulatory concerns with Comcast.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/05/trump-delay-att-time-warner-approval-stalled-big-media-helps-netflix-amazon.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 am 
Platinum Edition

Comcast Moves to Outbid 21st Century Fox For Sky
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/c ... sky/172056

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:06 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Acquisition of Fox Is "Most Likely" to Close by the End of Summer 2019 at the Latest
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/d ... st-a159576

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 pm 
Collector's Edition

So, if Disney buys Fox, I assume this board will also be used to discuss The Simpsons, Family Guy, Avatar and other Fox related content.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm 
Gold Collection

Disney may also have to buy all of Sky if Fox fails.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sky-m-a-fox-walt-disney/disney-must-offer-to-buy-all-of-sky-britains-takeover-regulator-rules-idUSKBN1HJ188

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

Here's the timeline of the acquisition, for anyone interested.

Quote:
In a filing with the SEC, Disney provided a timeline of how the deal to acquire 21st Century Fox came to be, other interested parties, and how they decided what assets Disney would keep. Here’s how the Disney Fox deal went down:

August 9, 2017: Disney CEO Bob Iger met with 21st Century Fox head Rupert Murdoch in Los Angeles to discuss the state of the entertainment industry and the evolving challenges as the media landscape changed. While they met from time-to-time, in this instance, they discussed the possibility of a strategic transaction between the two companies.

August 14: Rupert’s sons Lachlan and James met with Verizon who indicated an interest in purchasing 21st Century Fox, but as an all-stock transaction without a premium to current market prices.

August 29: Bob Iger called Rupert Murdoch to follow up on their discussion and they both agreed to explore a combination.

Early September: Fox told Verizon it was not interested in their offer.

From September 12 to September 25: John Nallen, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of 21st Century Fox, and Kevin Mayer, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer of Disney, engaged in preliminary discussions regarding a potential strategic transaction, including, among other things, the mix of businesses that would be acquired, related regulatory considerations and the tax implications of various transaction structures.

September 29: At a Disney Board Meeting, Iger and Mayer reported on the potential transaction. The Board supported further exploration of a deal and agreed to a mutual confidentially agreement.

October 25: Bob Iger and Rupert Murdoch met again where Murdoch mentioned the importance of Iger’s leadership during the transaction and integration. Later, Disney representatives presented to the 21 Century Fox leadership. They highlighted long-term growth prospects across Disney’s business platforms in light of the historical financial performance of such businesses, Disney’s successful integration of prior media acquisitions, its innovation in direct-to-consumer offerings and the complementary nature of the RemainCo businesses with Disney’s businesses.

October 27: Disney and Fox discussed the price. Disney offered a $60 billion valuation with 40% in cash and 60% in stock for a price of $23 per share. 21st Century Fox believed this offer to be inadequate and conveyed their decision to Disney on the following day.

November 6: CNBC reported that 21st Century Fox had been holding talks to sell most of Fox’s assets to Disney, including, entertainment networks such as FX and National Geographic, Fox’s movie studios and television production and international assets such as Star and Sky. In addition, 21st Century Fox received an unsolicited notice of interest from Comcast for the assets outlined in the CNBC report.

November 7: Kevin Mayer informed 21st Century Fox that Disney was considering improving its prior indication of interest and suggested that the parties re-engage on a possible business combination between the parties. The parties agreed to resume discussions, including among other things, transaction value, the allocation of businesses, and relevant tax considerations.

November 10: Representatives of 21st Century Fox and Comcast met to discuss a possible transaction.

November 14: Comcast made an all-stock offer of $34.41 per share.

November 15: Following their shareholder meeting, the board of 21 Century Fox met and discussed their options including remaining independent or combining with Verizon, Disney, or Comcast. They continued to believe that Verizon’s offer was inadequate. They authorized continued discussions with Disney and Comcast, but were concerned about regulatory issues with Comcast due to scrutiny placed on their prior deal with NBC Universal.

November 18: Comcast discussed the regulatory risk with Fox. Comcast would not agree to a reverse termination fee payable in the event that the parties were unable to obtain regulatory approval to consummate a potential strategic transaction.

November 19: Iger, Rupert Murdoch, and their CFOs met to discuss the deal. Disney made a proposal to acquire the assets at $28 per share. This was an increase of $6 billion compared to their previous offer.

November 20: Disney and Fox met to discuss the 20th Century Fox studio lot and their investment in Roku. They agreed to allocate those assets to New Fox as a way of reaching an agreement on the $28 per share price.

November 28: The Fox board met to review the Disney and Comcast proposals. They expressed concerns regarding Comcast being able to achieve regulatory approval, especially since the way Comcast structured the deal would make divesting assets beneficial to Comcast. They also discussed that Comcast would not agree to a regulatory termination fee. Because of this, they decided to make negotiating with Disney a priority but authorized continued negotiations with both parties. Meanwhile, the Disney board also met and agreed to continue conversations with 21st Century Fox with an eye on making a decision in the next two to three weeks. The board, not including Bob Iger, also discussed the possibility of extending Iger’s contract with Disney if the transaction was completed.

November 30: Disney proposed a termination fee of $750 million if regulatory approvals were not able to be obtained. Disney also proposed that assets such as the Big Ten Network, Home Team Sports and Fox Sports College Properties, which had been set to go to Disney in the previous proposal, be allocated to New Fox as part of reaching an agreement on the Disney stock price to reach the agreed to purchase price.

December 1: Fox and Comcast discussed regulatory remediation. Comcast proposed terms that were less advantageous to Fox shareholders than the Disney deal.

December 6: Fox’s board met via a conference call. They discussed both offers. They considered the price offered, regulatory remedies, tax issues, and value of the acquiring company’s stock. In light of this, the board agreed to focus on negotiating with Disney and discontinue talks with Comcast.

December 7: Rupert Murdoch told Comcast that they will be focusing on other opportunities.

December 8: The non-management members of the Disney board met via conference call to receive an update from the Disney Compensation Committee regarding the status of the proposed extension of Bob Iger’s employment agreement. The discussed the economics of the potential benefits to Disney in light of the proposed transaction with Fox.

December 12: Bob Iger met with Rupert Murdoch in London to talk about the current talks.

December 13: The boards of Disney and Fox both met and agreed to merge. Additionally, the Disney board voted to extend Bob Iger’s employment agreement as well as increasing his compensation.

December 14: The deal is announced.
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... -timeline/

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

Comcast's Last-Ditch Plan to Snatch Fox From Disney
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ey-1107648

Comcast prepares all-cash bid to gate-crash Disney-Fox deal
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fox- ... SKBN1I82I7

Disney Could Give Up Sky to Get Fox Assets
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ts-1110153

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next