Epic (ABC TV Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Epic (ABC TV Series)

Post by Sotiris »

They're remaking OUAT! :lol:
Disney-owned ABC has put in development Epic, a romantic anthology series from former Once Upon a Time writer Brigette Hales, series’ creators/executive producers/showrunners Eddy Kitsis & Adam Horowitz, their Kitsis & Horowitz Productions and ABC Signature Studios.

Epic is a romantic anthology series set in the fairytale universe of Disney. Taking place in a Disney-like Enchanted Forest, it will center on a whole new set of new heroes, villains, princes, princesses and all manner of magical beings. While it will pay homage to the classic signposts we’re all familiar with from the stories we grew up with, Epic will endeavor to create a whole new batch of characters as it explores love in all its forms.

Kitsis and Horowitz conceived Epic with Hales, their protégé on both Once Upon A Time and Amazing Stories. Hales joined Once Upon a Time in season 5 as a writer, working closely with Kitsis and Horowitz. Hales is writing, with Kitsis and Horowitz supervising and helping shepherd the project through the development process through Kitsis & Horowitz Prods. The trio executive produce. ABC Signature Studios, part of Disney TV Studios, is the studio.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/12/disney-fai ... 202810526/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Epic (ABC TV Series)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

It doesn't sound like this is a OUAT spinoff, but honestly it sounds pretty similar to the original show just with more of a focus on characters not from the Disney films.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'd rather have a OUAT spin-off, in all honesty. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was surprisingly decent.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree Sotiris.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm not gonna waste my time on Kitsis and Horowitz again. Good luck to anyone who's interested.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:I'm not gonna waste my time on Kitsis and Horowitz again. Good luck to anyone who's interested.
Thanks, we're going to need it! :lol: If the show actually makes it on air and isn't canned mid-development, I'm going to watch because of the Disney connections. Not because I have faith in their storytelling capabilities.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Guess this is meant to replace the one based on those YA novels that got canned(probably b/c it was too dark.)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:I'd rather have a OUAT spin-off, in all honesty. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was surprisingly decent.
I loved OUAT in Wonderland. I was super sad that they cancelled the show. And it didn't help that the main OUAT show practically ignored and retconned it all.
farerb wrote:I'm not gonna waste my time on Kitsis and Horowitz again. Good luck to anyone who's interested.
Lol, I don't blame you. Not sure myself if I'll take the plunge or not. I guess it depends on which new characters they are using.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'll give it a look. Somehow I don't expect it to last longer than a season or two at most. The thing is, they're usually good at creating a base. It's fulfilling their storylines that is the real problem. That's why OUAT was best when they were doing 10-episode mini-arcs. Any longer than that, and it really, really goes off the rails. Hopefully it'll be better off with Hales in charge.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'll give it a look. Somehow I don't expect it to last longer than a season or two at most. The thing is, they're usually good at creating a base. It's fulfilling their storylines that is the real problem.
Since this is an anthology, maybe that won't be a problem.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The project has gone to pilot. Let's see if it manages to get a series order.
Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis are back in business at ABC. The broadcast network has handed out pilot orders to two dramas, including anthology Epic from the Once Upon a Time creators. Epic is described as a romantic anthology that reinvents fairy tales for a new audience. Sources say it will be focused on Disney properties as their former ABC drama explored Snow White and other iconic characters.

Brigitte Hales, who worked with Kitsis and Horowitz on Once Upon a Time and their Apple Amazing Stories anthology, will write the script and exec produce alongside the duo. The drama hails from ABC Signature, where Kitsis and Horowitz have been under a longtime overall deal. The duo inked a four-year renewal back in 2018 that at the time was believed to have made Kitsis and Horowitz the highest-paid drama producers at the studio following Shonda Rhimes' move to Netflix.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... -anthology
Disney's Divinity

Well, since they'll probably avoid Snow White and B&TB for the main story since they already did that with OUAT (and Alice with that spin-off show), I wonder what stories might get the most focus here? Maybe Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, or Cinderella? OUAT's version of SB was mostly horrible... Maleficent, in particular, was really awful. Aurora and Phillip were better, but only ever background fodder. You don't think they might make a Snow Queen character inspired by Elsa one of the main characters this time? :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I wonder if the Seer is going to function in a similar way Rumpelstiltskin did in OUAT.
Eleanor Fanyinka (Holby City, Sandman) has been cast as a lead in ABC’s drama pilot Epic. From the creators of Once Upon a Time, Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, Epic is described as a romantic anthology series that reinvents fairy tales for a new audience. Fanyinka, the first actor cast in the project, will play The Seer, a mysterious and playful figure who can lead you down the path of true love.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/03/epic-elean ... 234719208/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They said the show was going to be based on Disney properties, but the main character is an original princess.
ABC’s fairytale drama pilot Epic has found its princess. Brittany O’Grady (Star, Little Voice) has been tapped as the lead in the project, from Once Upon a Time creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis. O’Grady will play Luna, a fairytale princess made cynical by a broken heart. She doesn’t believe in love stories, which is unfortunate because she is about to find herself caught in the most epic one of all — her own.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/04/brittany-o ... 234733967/
Disney's Divinity

Is this show going to air on ABC or will it be streaming only? And will it start in the Fall?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yes, it will air in the fall on ABC if it gets picked up. Now only a pilot is being produced and if the network execs like it, they will order it to series.
Disney's Divinity

I hope the show turns out to be tolerable then, so I have something to watch. I think they lucked up with OUAT with the cast they landed in the first season giving that series some heft (Morrison, Parilla, Goodwin, Carlyle). I don't know anything about O'Grady whereas I knew Morrison before OUAT. I meant to watch Star and never did; I have Sara Bareilles' album of the music she wrote for Little Voice, but know nothing about the show itself.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I didn't know that people still watched network TV. I think those TV shows went downhill in the last decade with the rise of cables, and now we have more streaming services, and all of them are more concerned with quality. I'm not sure I'll be watching this since it sounds like OUAT without the things that actually made OUAT unique, so basically they're only going for the Disney cameos and ships.
Disney's Divinity

Streaming services, like high speed Internet, are not possible where I live or in many rural areas. There aren't many things on TV I'm invested in anymore--really just American Idol now. Although I will watch things like Walker, American Horror Story, and The Masked Singer. I've been meaning to check out Topher Grace's new comedy, but I keep missing it. Thankfully there are many old shows and movies I've never seen that I can watch to fill the void. The past few days, I've been giving Third Rock From the Sun and Scrubs a go.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Sotiris wrote:They said the show was going to be based on Disney properties, but the main character is an original princess.
ABC’s fairytale drama pilot Epic has found its princess. Brittany O’Grady (Star, Little Voice) has been tapped as the lead in the project, from Once Upon a Time creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis. O’Grady will play Luna, a fairytale princess made cynical by a broken heart. She doesn’t believe in love stories, which is unfortunate because she is about to find herself caught in the most epic one of all — her own.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/04/brittany-o ... 234733967/
The actress was great in Star, so I'm excited to see how she does here!