Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by Farerb »

Prince Kido wrote: Those are not from Strange World but from Raya and the Last Dragon.
They are concept-arts for the Druuns and they are in the Art book.
You're correct. Thank you for letting us know :)

Here are the concept arts from the book:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Why are there two Avatar logos in that image DisneyEra posted of the lineup? I know Way of Water is the sequel, what's the other one?

It's sort of odd seeing the TLM logo sandwiched among all those Marvel movies and Indiana Jones... (And it's easily the most visually appealing logo there.)
It's there cause the original Avatar is being re-released in Theaters this September worldwide.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

A year ago we got our first look at those ugly Encanto toys, and so far this has had nothing.
DisneyEra wrote:C'mon now everyone. We all know Strange World leaks will start in June 8)
Where are the leaks, DisneyEra?
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Farerb wrote:A year ago we got our first look at those ugly Encanto toys, and so far this has had nothing.
DisneyEra wrote:C'mon now everyone. We all know Strange World leaks will start in June 8)
Where are the leaks, DisneyEra?
To early in the month. Another week to 10 days 8)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I was about to say, June only just started.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Odd character design, some characters look completely different from other characters. Like they are actually from a completely different cinematic universe… I will be needing a whole lot more information. It looks cool, but I’m still puzzled at this point…
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It doesn't look like my type of film, I might be skipping it if it comes out on Disney+ 30-45 days later. It will continue the tradition of not seeing any of Don Hall's films in theaters.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Well, that was certainly a trailer
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Now it reminds me even more of the 70’s French animated show “Once Upon a Time… Life”, with researchers traveling into and exploring the human body. I see floods of red blood cells, oxygen animals, brain stems, invading virus monsters… Even the character design seems to reference the show:

https://youtu.be/Zj6G986lpag
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

According to the captions:
The woman who's driving is Meridian.
The guy who seems like the protagonist is "Searcher", I guess that's his actual name.
The black kid is Ethan.
That other woman, the one who speaks to Searcher is Callisto Mal.

Edit: yes, that's his name, and he will be voiced by Jake Gyllenhaal:
Today, Walt Disney Animation Studios released a teaser trailer and poster from the all-new feature film Strange World. Jake Gyllenhaal (The Guilty, Spider-Man: Far from Home) lends his voice to Searcher Clade, the son of a steadfast explorer. The original action-adventure journeys deep into an uncharted and treacherous land where fantastical creatures await the legendary Clades, a family of explorers whose differences threaten to topple their latest—and by far— most crucial mission.
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/walt-d ... nd-poster/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Outside of the character designs this looks pretty fun. The visual effects look cool.

Overall quite unlike anything we’ve seen from WDAS which isn’t a bad thing I’d say.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yeeeessss!!! This looks so fun. I can't wait!!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This looks as horrible as I expected from that first concept art. I'll be surprised if I enjoy anything about this, but who knows. I don't know why Disney can't make male-lead films that are actually interesting. They should look at their own history to see that the male-lead films that have survived the test of time were mostly musical literary adaptations (Tarzan, Pinocchio, TJB, Peter Pan, etc.) and were often treated the same as the "princess films," as far as having emotional heft and dealing with royalty (The Lion King, Aladdin).

I was actually thinking the other day that a male-lead musical at Disney (with Ben Platt as the star) would be pretty great, but apparently a male-lead film at Disney these days can only be something gross or stupid-looking and full of jokes that aren't funny like this, WIR, BH6, half the '00s films, etc.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

robster16 wrote:Now it reminds me even more of the 70’s French animated show “Once Upon a Time… Life”, with researchers traveling into and exploring the human body. I see floods of red blood cells, oxygen animals, brain stems, invading virus monsters… Even the character design seems to reference the show:

https://youtu.be/Zj6G986lpag
I know which one you mean! I remember Italian-dubbed broadcasts of that show as a kid.

Good observation. It doesn't bother me though. Does it annoy you?

@PatrickvD

The human character designs did not really leave an impression on me with the exception of Searcher himself. I find that he has oodles of appeal. Also, the rubbery facial animation has me smiling.

Agreed that the movie looks different, which is something WDAS sorely needs. Loving the 1950s B-Movie vibe. I hope it carries into the finished film and won't be limited to marketing.

Fingers crossed the film has an interesting story to tell, and can get my blood pumping.

Btw, is Searcher Clade black or caucasian? He seems dark, but not black. Maybe I'm just confused ...

Anyway, I am now officially interested in this film. :) I like what I see.

P.S. Still waiting for WDAS to try out new visual styles or rendering techniques! Are they gonna be the last major US animation studio to shake up their visual style? Even Pixar has budged.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

the saddest part is how unceremoniously they released that teaser. Pinocchio got a teaser to the teaser, Thor's trailer was released during a big event, Star Wars had a whole celebration. The truth is that if the Animation Studio ever becomes unprofitable, Modern Disney will have no issue shutting it down in an instance.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Wow! I`m surprised that the teaser was released before the poster, since both have usually been released simultaneously. But with that said, I thought the teaser was just meh. The whole premise seems like something that Pixar could`ve come up with. The retro-angle at the beginning made the tone jarring and the whole design of the settings just seems off. Not looking forward to this picture. But the teaser poster was fine, however.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

And here we go: I was expecting the teaser trailer to drop next week before Lightyear's release. WDAS actually went a whole 6 months via the film's official announcement & had no leaks of any kind :o They actually were able to reveal the characters properly.
Jake Gyllenhaal voicing Search Clade reminds me of Michael J. Fox voicing Milo Thatch from Atlantis! It looks great/different. But the fact that it's not a musical, it will lose half of WDAS regular audience. The movie will need good word of mouth, as pretty much every WDAS feature post Chicken Little has gotten good reviews from critics. I thought Ethan was going to be the main character. Can't wait for how the merchandise for Strange World will look like. Will Meridan be getting a Disney Store Doll? Will the other characters? Will there be action sets? Both Atlantis & Treasure planet had HUGE toy launches with there releases. Mattel for Atlantis, & Hasbro For Treasure Planet. But since neither of those feature were main-stream hits, their merchandise faded into oblivion. They exist now only on Ebay. So if your a Disney collector, don't wait to buy Strange World merch :wink:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Farerb wrote:the saddest part is how unceremoniously they released that teaser. Pinocchio got a teaser to the teaser, Thor's trailer was released during a big event, Star Wars had a whole celebration. The truth is that if the Animation Studio ever becomes unprofitable, Modern Disney will have no issue shutting it down in an instance.
I don’t believe that at all. They’re just coming off the runaway success of Encanto. WDAS is the most renowned and prestigious animation studio in the world.