Legend of the Three Caballeros

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: Legend of the Three Caballeros

Post by Jules »

While I understand the enthusiasm for this show, I don't really get why everybody is going gaga over the quality of the animation. What you guys are liking is the traditional character design. The animation itself is very stiff and rigid, and clearly not pure hand-drawn animation but more a hybrid of hand-drawn and 2D puppetry (likely animated in Flash). I also spy much tweening.

If you guys like this what then do you find wrong in Mercury Filmworks' work on the current Mickey Mouse series? :? This is no more prestigious than that, and I think Mercury's animation moves better and is vastly superior to the one in this ultra low-budget production.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Jules wrote:While I understand the enthusiasm for this show, I don't really get why everybody is going gaga over the quality of the animation. What you guys are liking is the traditional character design. The animation itself is very stiff and rigid, and clearly not pure hand-drawn animation but more a hybrid of hand-drawn and 2D puppetry (likely animated in Flash). I also spy much tweening.
In my case, yes, I guess what I like the most is the classic Disney character design and style of animation. But the animation itself is not bad either, in my opinion. It's not as good as the 2D in Disney's feature films, but quite good for a TV program. Perhaps the mix of animation techniques in some parts of the show is what makes it look a bit cheap compared to other similar productions.
Jules wrote:If you guys like this what then do you find wrong in Mercury Filmworks' work on the current Mickey Mouse series? :? This is no more prestigious than that, and I think Mercury's animation moves better and is vastly superior to the one in this ultra low-budget production.
Isn't this show by Mercury Filmworks too? Anyway, I don't think the animation in the new Mickey Mouse shorts is bad. Not even the animation style. I just don't find it appealing personally.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Isn't this show by Mercury Filmworks too?
Mercury Filmworks and Atomic Cartoons worked on it too but Six Point Harness was the primary studio responsible for animation production.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Mercury Filmworks and Atomic Cartoons worked on it too but Six Point Harness was the primary studio responsible for animation production.
OK, thanks.

Here are two songs from the show:

"Moai Vacation"
"Goblin Jail"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Jules wrote:While I understand the enthusiasm for this show, I don't really get why everybody is going gaga over the quality of the animation. What you guys are liking is the traditional character design. The animation itself is very stiff and rigid, and clearly not pure hand-drawn animation but more a hybrid of hand-drawn and 2D puppetry (likely animated in Flash). I also spy much tweening.
^This.

I figured I was in the minority here. While I'm definitely enjoying this show along with the more traditional character designs, I'd personally prefer to see more stylization done when utilizing limited animation, like in the aforementioned Mickey shorts or the new DuckTales.

Regardless, I'm all for another adventure series within the Disney duck universe. This sometimes feels like a long-lost House of Mouse spin-off. Jose and Panchito are fun characters and it's great to see them revived. April, May, and June are cynical little mini-Daisys. :lol: It feels a little odd that Xandra is a human(oid), but given that she's a goddess it's understandable and it works. Overall, this sort of feels like an obscure [albeit non-existent] 1950s-60s comic with some updates added for a modern audience (if that even make sense, I don't know?).

I'm still scratching my head over why/how this was made when it feels like Disney doesn't believe it has an audience. :?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are the other two songs from the series:

"Draw the Line"
"Shangri-La-Di-Da"
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Shocking no one, the show is going to Disney+

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/legend-of ... to-disney/
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

rodrigo_ca wrote:Shocking no one, the show is going to Disney+

Great! This will certainly make my sister happy. She loves Donald Duck, and "The Three Caballeros" is one of her favorite Disney movies ever.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

rodrigo_ca wrote:Shocking no one, the show is going to Disney+

I'm glad about that. I guess it's unlikely, but it would be great if they made a second season.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's been officially announced that the series is coming to Disney+.

Source: https://d23.com/donald-duck-fun-facts/
Donald’s latest TV venture is also one of his most thrilling. Legend of The Three Caballeros reunites Disney’s top duck with his two amigos from The Three Caballeros (1945). In this animated series, Donald releases Xandra, the Goddess of Adventure, from an enchanted Atlas. Suddenly the Duck, José Carioca, and Panchito find themselves battling mythical monsters around the globe, from the Egyptian pyramids to Mount Rushmore. Legend of The Three Caballeros is expected to be available on Disney+ when Disney’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service launches on November 12, catapulting Donald into a new level of groundbreaking television stardom.
Source: https://d23.com/donald-duck-fun-facts/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney has upload the panel for "Legend of the Three Caballeros". It's really interesting. I love how Donald's voice actor thanked the staff for respecting Walt's legacy and keeping the original design of the characters.

Legend of the Three Caballeros Panel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09VbukKq4U
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks once again for posting that video, Sotiris!!! This is on my list of things to watch on Disney+, but there aren't enough hours in the day, and I don't watch TV enough, but I definitely want to watch the show. OMG, Ari!!!! I LOVE the Aracuan Bird, and that clip was hilarious!! <3 OMG OMG OMG, Worm = Creeper!!!!! Aaahhhhhhhh!!!!!! <3 Wow, that was unexpected! This show looks so good!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

This is another show I need to catch up on. Love the props the Donald actor gave.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Disney has upload the panel for "Legend of the Three Caballeros". It's really interesting. I love how Donald's voice actor thanked the staff for respecting Walt's legacy and keeping the original design of the characters.

Legend of the Three Caballeros Panel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09VbukKq4U
Thanks for posting, Sotiris! It's great that they're uploading these D23 panels now that most people are confined to their homes and have more time to watch things.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I saw the whole show all the way through. It was great! I loved all the inside references made there.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I went to the screening for the movie in Orlando, where they showed this panel. Just like there, very few people were familiar with the show at our screening, which I'm not surprised by. It's a cute show, but Disney is not advertising it at all.

I was mostly curious to see why the showrunners decided to ignore Carl Barks' lore in this series, and they bring up a good point that the McDuck side of Donald's family has been very well detailed, but not so much his father's side. I am still surprised that Huey, Dewey, and Louie were totally ignored for April, May, and June, but they worked out pretty well anyway.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I just watched the first four episodes and I really love this show! It's so nice to see hand-drawn animation done well rather than the typical cheap animated series projects that television is fraught with.

The only reason I knew about this show is because of this forum here. I've never seen it promoted anywhere else.
Avaitor wrote:I went to the screening for the movie in Orlando, where they showed this panel. Just like there, very few people were familiar with the show at our screening, which I'm not surprised by. It's a cute show, but Disney is not advertising it at all.

I was mostly curious to see why the showrunners decided to ignore Carl Barks' lore in this series, and they bring up a good point that the McDuck side of Donald's family has been very well detailed, but not so much his father's side. I am still surprised that Huey, Dewey, and Louie were totally ignored for April, May, and June, but they worked out pretty well anyway.
Do you mean a screening for the original Three Caballeros movie which had a panel for this show or was there some film version of this show compiled together?

I'm glad April, May and June were included as well. We rarely ever see them and Huey, Dewey and Louie are overexposed anyway. It's interesting that this show basically pretends that the original films of Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros never occurred since Donald has no idea who Jose and Panchito are when he meets them here in the first episode. Which I can't exactly blame so I don't care at all for Donald's characterization in those films so it's nice for that to be retconned away. I remember even critics back then were not a fan of how sexually manic Donald came across as.
ImageImage
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Avaitor wrote:I went to the screening for the movie in Orlando, where they showed this panel. Just like there, very few people were familiar with the show at our screening, which I'm not surprised by. It's a cute show, but Disney is not advertising it at all.

Do you mean a screening for the original Three Caballeros movie which had a panel for this show or was there some film version of this show compiled together?

I'm glad April, May and June were included as well. We rarely ever see them and Huey, Dewey and Louie are overexposed anyway. It's interesting that this show basically pretends that the original films of Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros never occurred since Donald has no idea who Jose and Panchito are when he meets them here in the first episode. Which I can't exactly blame so I don't care at all for Donald's characterization in those films so it's nice for that to be retconned away. I remember even critics back then were not a fan of how sexually manic Donald came across as.
It was a screening of the original film, as presented by D23. It was a good time, and fun to see classic Walt-era animation on the big screen. They showed a Donald short with the Aracuan bird beforehand, and it even came with a pin set featuring different characters from he film.

I enjoy the film, but I think it goes off the rails near the end. It's great to see visually, but yeah, extra horny Donald is a weird take. The show, from what I recall, is kind of a remake of the general concept from the film, which is why he doesn't recall Jose and Panchito.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Avaitor wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Do you mean a screening for the original Three Caballeros movie which had a panel for this show or was there some film version of this show compiled together?

It was a screening of the original film, as presented by D23. It was a good time, and fun to see classic Walt-era animation on the big screen. They showed a Donald short with the Aracuan bird beforehand, and it even came with a pin set featuring different characters from he film.

I enjoy the film, but I think it goes off the rails near the end. It's great to see visually, but yeah, extra horny Donald is a weird take. The show, from what I recall, is kind of a remake of the general concept from the film, which is why he doesn't recall Jose and Panchito.
Wow, glad you got to have that experience! It sounds absolutely thrilling especially with that pin set.

At first I thought the show would be set in a universe like House of Mouse where Donald already knows Jose and Panchito so I didn't expect him to not recognize them at all and vice-versa but I do like the change. As for The Three Caballeros film, I like the music and visuals a lot. Wish Donald was portrayed as a more likable character but at least Disney never treated him like that again since.
ImageImage
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

It was my second D23 screening. I went to one for Tangled a few years ago. tbh, like you, it's not one of my favorites, but I went for two reasons, one being that the movie, and Rapunzel in particular was my girlfriend at the time's everything, and it was right around her birthday. The other reason was that Dave Smith from the Disney Archives was going to be there to do a presentation on the history of WDAS' features, which was awesome! We got a scroll with concept art of the characters, and even got to meet him at the end. We had the option to have him sign our scrolls, but we passed because he didn't have anything to do with the production of the film.

That was in 2017, which was my only year as a gold member before this one. I wanted to go to the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh screening from that year, especially since Jim Cummings was there (keep in mind that I didn't know about his, um... less flavorful qualities at the time), but that sold out before I could. I hope that more events will happen this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. I at least want to go to the Destination D festival in November, but we'll see what happens by then.