DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hercules on Stage
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's working on a stage production of Hercules! :rock: Here's hoping it will make it to Broadway! :herc:

Alan Menken wrote:
I have a very strong belief like “Newsies,” “Hercules” is going to have a moment that will surprise people. Actually, I’m working on a stage version of “Hercules.”
Source: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/07/al ... n-anaheim/

Post subject: Re: Hercules on Stage
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:25 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

FREAKING FINALLY!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:05 am 
Platinum Edition

YES! I thought this and Pocahontas both had a low chance of ever happening. I hope it pans out. I would love to hear new songs for Herc and Meg. I just wonder if they're going to do something similar to the Hunchback musical and go all serious with adapting the source material. I kind of hope not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:40 pm 
Limited Edition

OMG yeay!!! :dance: what a surprise! It will be perfect for Broadway and a lot of fun! and Hades also needs a song! Also hope this will give the movie/characters some attention since Disney practically ignores it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:47 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Interesting. It's getting some love at D23 and now this.

Maybe Disney is seeing some potential in it as a 'nostalgic property'. Would be great if it became more visible in the parks, merchandise, etc. It's such as underrated film. The music easily beats most modern Disney musicals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:39 pm 
Limited Edition

^I would love at least new merch. They did make some Jim Shore(ugh) pieces for its anniversary this year. Id love to see some Pops and some dolls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:40 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
YES! I thought this and Pocahontas both had a low chance of ever happening. I hope it pans out. I would love to hear new songs for Herc and Meg. I just wonder if they're going to do something similar to the Hunchback musical and go all serious with adapting the source material. I kind of hope not.

At least Pocahontas had a lower chance of happening, due to it's position and it's backlash of historical inaccuracy. However, Disney still decided to adapt Hunchback, despite of it's controversy and that it has a lower fanbase than both Pocahontas and Hercules (though Hunchback has been rated higher on IMDb, there were still people who've given more votes on Pocahontas and Hercules than on Hunchback. And the Facebook likes for Hunchback are relatively much lower than for the other two, if you don't believe me, then look it up).

However, regardless of the attention Disney has been given these pictures, it seems as Hercules has gained a bigger fanbase these later years and that people have warmed up to it and given it attention and praise for it's strengths. At least Disney have been given Pocahontas some attention afterwards, whereas Hunchback has been given little besides the stage adaptation. But perhaps this means that Pocahontas could receive a stage treatment as well, since it certainly is suitable for one.

However, this is still good news for our Herc. Perhaps there will be made music numbers for Herc as an adult to sing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:15 pm 
Platinum Edition

I hope this just means that the project is in very early stages and Disney wasn't ready for an announcement yet.

Quote:
A Disney Theatrical Productions spokesman denied the project, saying, “Hercules is one of many great Menken scores, but no stage adaptation is in development at this time.”
Source: http://www.playbill.com/article/stage-a ... -the-works

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 am 
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:

Hunchback is a serious movie, while Hercules isn't. I don't think there is a way to make Hercules serious without making it boring.

As for the Disney Theatrical denial, they could easily just not be aware. I'm sure Menken could be preparing a score to present it to them later.