Hercules on Stage

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: Hercules on Stage

Post by unprincess »

it's so good to finally see this movie getting its due. It seems to have gotten a recent push in merch thanks to millennial nostalgia, and not just at the Disney store. Ive noticed a lot of Herc merch when I went to Box Lunch. Just wish they'd make more stuff with Megara.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sorry, Sotiris honey. It sounds like it's not coming to Broadway :(
I can confirm Disney is working on a Hercules stage adaptation, and we are getting it SOON (much sooner than a lot of people are probably expecting). But it is NOT being developed for Broadway. They are taking a different route with this one. That’s all I can say! Official announcement should be coming any day now though!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/rea ... 34#5122573
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I expect it might be for one of the Disney parks ? That kind of makes sense.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

That's incredibly disappointing, if true. :( First Hunchback misses Broadway and now Hercules? Why waste two of Disney's best musicals by not taking them all the way to Broadway? Whatever they have planned, stock and amateur, international productions, parks, cruise line, etc. is not good enough. :x
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

.....because the two aforementioned films are not the IP's that Disney wish to focus on :roll:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Broadway is the only version that would get any media attention. I guess with Little Mermaid and Tarzan being flops they didn't want to risk something thats not based on a surefire blockbuster like Frozen.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

WHOOP THERE IT IS: OFF-BROADWAY! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Hercules is about to go from zero to hero of your 2019.

BroadwayWorld has just learned that The Public Theater will present a stage adaptation of the Disney classic this summer at the Delacorte Theatre. The musical, which features music by Alan Menken, lyrics by David Zippel and a book by Kristoffer Diaz, will be directed by Lear deBessonet and choreographed by Chase Brock.

The Public Works production is set to begin performances on August 30 and will run through September 3. A reading is set to take place this April.

According to a casting notice, the role of Hercules will be played by an African American actor.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/B ... r-20190206
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Doesn't this mean it could still make its way to Broadway? Both Newsies and Aladdin started out as out-of-town productions before Disney realized their potential. They weren't Broadway-bound from the start. This is a bit different since it's Off-Broadway but the situation seems similar.

Jelani Alladin (who plays Kristoff in Frozen: The Broadway Musical) is rumored to be playing Hercules and Megara respectively. The fact that Jelani is leaving Frozen and the casting notice indicates that a Black actor will be portraying Hercules seem to corroborate the rumors.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote:WHOOP THERE IT IS: OFF-BROADWAY! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
I’m not sure what there is to be so happy about--that you were right, I guess? :? :roll:

Anyway, hopefully it gets a cast recording like Hunchback.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thomas Schumacher wrote:Lear DeBessonet is such a gifted, gifted director. She went to see Alan Menken at his studio upstate, and she said, ‘What are you doing with Hercules?’ Then she took it to Oskar Eustis. We all came and met, and the Public said, ‘We would like to do this.’ We’ve done a couple of readings of it. Alan Menken and David Zippel, who did the songs for the original, have come back and written new material. It’s very fun, and it’s very emotional to be in the room with the music and see these glorious actors do it.
Source: https://www.broadway.com/buzz/195703/pr ... -wontorek/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Well, though it isn't a Broadway show, I'm glad they're making something with this underrated Disney classic.
Sotiris wrote:Doesn't this mean it could still make its way to Broadway? Both Newsies and Aladdin started out as out-of-town productions before Disney realized their potential. They weren't Broadway-bound from the start. This is a bit different since it's Off-Broadway but the situation seems similar.
Yes, I think it's still possible. I hope it's successful enough and they decide to take it to Broadway.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Although Hunchback didn't make it to Broadway, there was certainly a push for that so Hercules could receive something similar. However, personally I can't see Disney pushing this to Broadway. They're more focused on keeping their big moneymakers there like Aladdin and Frozen, and Hercules isn't anywhere near that level.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

One of the biggest reasons Hunchback didn't make it to Broadway was due to the choir. The cost (I believe they would all have to be Equity for Broadway) would have been too high. I think if the reviews had been a complete smash hit they may have done a limited run (with potential to extend, like Newsies) but sadly that didn't happen.

Disney Theatrical is being much more experimental these days, which is great as more shows are getting a chance. Except for Frozen, all their recent productions (like Aladdin and Newsies) have started out as limited run pilots done in partnership with the theatres putting on the production rather than being announced for Broadway straight away.

There's every chance Hercules could "go the distance" and come to Broadway if this production is successful. BUT it would likely be very different to what we're getting this year. This production will be out door, Public Works. The cast will likely be massive, much larger than a traditional Broadway cast. Not saying they couldn't re-work it for a Broadway stage, just that doesn't appear to be the plan at the moment. Success obviously changes everything, but I'd expect regional productions like Hunchback to be more likely than a Broadway transfer in the immediate future. Even that doesn't rule out Broadway in the future, Aladdin had two regional productions after the pilot before being announced for Broadway.

Hopefully it does well and we can at least get a Studio Recording like we did for Hunchback.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

More details about the Public Works production.

An Unexpected Hero Will Visit Central Park: Here Comes Hercules
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/thea ... cules.html

Hercules Stage Musical Coming to New York City This Summer
https://d23.com/hercules-stage-musical- ... ty-summer/

Hercules to play at Delacorte
https://www.stagelightmagazine.com/herc ... delacorte/
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

I already posted this in a different topic but many might have missed it:

I was lucky enough to do a short interview with Alan Menken while he was in Berlin, Germany for the premiere of Aladdin.
I asked him about the Hercules musical coming to NYC and why "Proud of your Boy" is missing from the new Aladdin movie which he answers partly by speaking about "Speechless".

The interview starts at 8:50 (all before and after that part is German).
Speaking of that I am extremely sorry about my English in this video. That was both my accent and all the nervosity of meeting and interview ALAN MENKEN!! :oops:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5234c6KTy4k[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5234c6KTy4k&t=8m50s
Image Image Image Image Image
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

'Hercules' Stage Musical Adaptation Finds Its Strongman: Jelani Alladin Among Cast Announced For Shakespeare In The Park Production
https://deadline.com/2019/06/disney-her ... 202635699/

Look at the impressive cast!!
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

So happy that James is playing Phil! So wish I could see this!!
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Friendly reminder that the Hercules Musical in Central Park has the online lottery open now! You can apply for all 7 scheduled showings at once. If anyone here is close to NYC try and see if you win.

Lottery

The Public Theater is doing tickets differently this year, I think.

Usually they have tickets in person and people line up very early the day of a performance to get tickets. Like, if a performance is at 8pm on Saturday, some people will line up around 6am in Central Park.

This Lottery means more people have a chance of getting it, but also that more people are likely to apply. So... Good luck! I applied too so fingers crossed.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Entered right away! I live in Maryland, so it's very easy to travel to New York by bus. Anyway:

-Nelson Chimilio is Pain

-Arianne Recto and Shannon Rhett are Hercules's human parents. Zeus and Hera are unknown.

-A little girl is one of the Fates, which is cute.

-Brianna Cabrera and Tieisha Thomas are the other Muses.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/P ... S-20190819
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Original Hercules voice actor Roger Bart talks going the distance, playing Hades on stage
https://ew.com/theater/2019/08/22/hercu ... e-musical/

And info about the new songs in this video. Hades will get a song, Meg will also have an introduction number and Panic will get to sing too. There'll also be a new ensemble number.