Hercules on Stage

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Re: Hercules on Stage

Post by rodrigo_ca »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ That doesn't even mention a national tour for Hercules...so they'll just be licensing it out to local theater groups? On the Disney on Broadway for 25 years re-stream from Friday, Jelani Alladin was on, and during his interview, they talked about him originating two Disney Theatrical roles...which is true, but sad that he won't continue to be Hercules, that he only was for a short time. :(
Pretty much, yeah. But then again, this is exactly what happened to Aladdin and Newsies, which went on to Broadway and national tours and whatnot. This is also what happened with Freaky Friday and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which didn't get a Broadway production. So could go either way.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I'm guessing he had trouble hitting the high notes of "Go the Distance"?
In Alladin's eyes, it all comes down to the fact that non-white actors are getting roles because they're the best for the job. "I was actually fired from Hercules and they went on an audition process to find someone else and they came back to me," Alladin said. "I got the job because I can do the job and I'm the best person for the job. The truth is, I couldn't sing "Go the Distance" and a certain member of the team didn't want to take a chance on me. But through the audition process, they came to realize that I was the best person for it. I put in the work."
Source: https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199458/je ... y-to-hear/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't understand, if he can't sing the main song of the character, how is he the best person for the role?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

His statement is weird that they wanted the right person for the role and yet he can't really sing the character's song. ?? I probably misunderstood what he was trying to say. If he had problems hitting the notes, how would he be the right actor for the part over somebody else who can?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I've heard him sing it (on Youtube), so maybe he either got singing lessons before he started performing in the show, or they changed the key??? Maybe? I think he's sounded amazing when I've heard him.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Based on these videos of him singing it, I'd say they definitely changed the key. It's much lower now and the song doesn't have that 'soaring' quality to it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsDe21ZyPI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9duEPWAlEpM
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In this new podcast, Jelani admits he wasn't able to sing "Go the Distance" they way it was written (specifically, he couldn't hit the last note) and members of the creative team didn't want him for the role because of it. He was fired after the third workshop. They started auditioning other Black actors but they came back to him because the director, Lear deBessonet, liked him and wanted him for the role from the start. He also said he left Frozen because they didn't let him take liberties with the role and add things he wanted. He's now moved to LA to start his film career and has created his own production company.

This interview left a bad taste in my mouth. He sounded pretentious and full of himself.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:In this new podcast, Jelani admits he wasn't able to sing "Go the Distance" they way it was written (specifically, he couldn't hit the last note) and members of the creative team didn't want him for the role because of it. He was fired after the third workshop. They started auditioning other Black actors but they came back to him because the director, Lear deBessonet, liked him and wanted him for the role from the start. He also said he left Frozen because they didn't let him take liberties with the role and add things he wanted. He's now moved to LA to start his film career and has created his own production company.

This interview left a bad taste in my mouth. He sounded pretentious and full of himself.
Well, judging from his pictures, he certainly seems like a conceited guy who´s full of himself.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09: :lol: I thought the same thing when he and other Broadway stars were singing that remote version of some Disney song (was it Circle of Life or A Whole New World?). Still, he's cute. I don't hate him or anything, I just don't get the touch of snobbery. I believe Sherie Rene Scott also demanded changes to The Little Mermaid when she worked in that show. Some of what she asked for wasn't that bad, like some of the feminist changes (those ones I was fine with), but in the end I just thought her whole take on the character was such a joke that it made me skeptical of any mark she had on the show after-the-fact.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Okay, Disney`s Divinity: I know my remark was perhaps a little too judgemental and biased. But still, he just seemed like that kind of guy. If you like him, that´s fine with me ;)
Disney's Divinity

Oh, no, I was agreeing with you, although I still like him somewhat despite the snobbery. Sorry, I know I'm confusing sometimes. :)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Don´t worry, we all can be confusing now and then. After all, we´re just humans.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

You guys sure he's a snob? I didn't had that aura when I listened to the interview. He was nice when I met him after Frozen and Hercules, first of all. But mainly, the fact that he is more than happy to drop out of the Broadway run to let another black man to enjoy the role of Hercules and to actually coach the actor tell[ me a lot about his character. :shrug: It would be so disappointing if he doesn't take Broadway. I LOOOOVED him in the role. :(
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

He came off a little self-absorbed in that interview, but I don't have anything against him. I'd be totally OK with him reprising his role on Broadway, if it ever transferred. From the clips I've seen, he seemed to be a better Hercules than a Kristoff.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

He was wonderful as Kristoff (his reprise of WDIKAL was so touching), but he was gorgeous as Hercules! His Go the Dostance was way better life than what videos make out to be. But honestly, as long as mainly Roger Bart transfers on Broadway, I’m good with the cast. He’s EXCEPTIONAL as Hades! The highlight of the show! (Briefly meeting Alan Menken was not too shabby either :D )
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Even though he said "Broadway", I don't think it's Broadway-bound. They'll give it a regional production first and if it's successful they'll eventually bring it to Broadway like they did with Newsies and Aladdin. Still, it's encouraging news. :D
Q: I think you music in Hercules is absolutely gorgeous.

Alan Menken: Oh, Hercules. Now its time has come. You know, we did this theatrical production in Central Park last summer. It was the hardest ticket to get. And now we have an adaptation ready to go for Broadway, once Broadway is able to reopen.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ctUVvQ_eUA
Disney's Divinity

Yes, it's encouraging he has that direction in mind for Hercules. I hope the property gets its "days in the sun" finally just like Tangled has.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Broadway stars (including Jelani Alladin) sing a rendition of "Go the Distance" from home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIazGdqfiW4
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Jelani Alladin performs "To Be Human" from the Public Works stage adaptation of Hercules in this video.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for sharing that! The song's nice and Jelani's performance is good, but it still comes off as lackluster. I'm a tad disappointed, to be honest. I thought it would have been much more memorable and powerful than that. I think it needed a more catchy tune for the chorus and more oomph.