I Have "Brother Bear" DVD In My Hands!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

Luke wrote:I didn't mean to make you feel small. It makes me feel small when people don't even read the front page of the site that houses this forum.
Don't worry Luke, the main page is bookmarked for me! I always look forward to new reviews and new pages! :lol: and then I go to the forum, if at all.

Hook
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I'll have Brother Bear in my hands tomorrow.
I can't wait. :P
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
wizzer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wizzer »

ok i got my brother bear disc. question: why no cardboard slip cover? lion king 1 and a half has one.
wizzer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wizzer »

oh, and luke i did read your review so i knew it wouldn't have one but i was just wondering if anyone knew why :)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

wizzer wrote:oh, and luke i did read your review so i knew it wouldn't have one but i was just wondering if anyone knew why :)
There's no definitive answer that I know of, but this thread offers some speculation:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... c&start=40
wizzer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wizzer »

thanks. :)
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Squirrel »

I visit the front page ... usually right before I come to the forums. Anyway, I have my Brother Bear DVD. Will watch it later. :)
Meega na la queesta.
static & silence and a monochrome vision
wizzer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wizzer »

i just watched brother bear. on a second viewing, my first being at the theater, i found myself more emotionaly involved and actually enjoyed the story even more.

but........

i am officialy complaining about the shotty film presentation. first of all i don't know what effect they were trying to pull off with the ratio change, but it failed big time. at the theater it caught my attention as annoying and at my house presented on a projector on a very large screen, the 1.85:1 image boxed inside black bars was nothing but annoying. i could imagine someone with a nice 43 inch widescreen getting completely pissed at the tiny image inside a big black box. even when coda(sp?) is retelling the story about getting seperated from his mother kenei is having flashbacks in 2.35:1 when what he is flashing back on was shown to us in 1.85:1. and besides all this ratio shananagans, i found there to be a problem with compression issues in the background and the whole print was very dark in alot of places.

i'm happy the dvd tried to preserve the theatrical expirience but i don't know what they were trying to do in the first place. i may just watch the 'family friendly' version next time. this is the first disney movie i've watched where i found darkness to be an issue.

excellent movie--dvd main feature--not very happy :(

move this if this is not the appropriate place to bitch about brother bear dvd :wink:
Carlo
Limited Issue

Post by Carlo »

wizzer wrote:i am officialy complaining about the shotty film presentation. first of all i don't know what effect they were trying to pull off with the ratio change, but it failed big time. at the theater it caught my attention as annoying and at my house presented on a projector on a very large screen, the 1.85:1 image boxed inside black bars was nothing but annoying. i could imagine someone with a nice 43 inch widescreen getting completely pissed at the tiny image inside a big black box. even when coda(sp?) is retelling the story about getting seperated from his mother kenei is having flashbacks in 2.35:1 when what he is flashing back on was shown to us in 1.85:1. and besides all this ratio shananagans, i found there to be a problem with compression issues in the background and the whole print was very dark in alot of places.

i'm happy the dvd tried to preserve the theatrical expirience but i don't know what they were trying to do in the first place. i may just watch the 'family friendly' version next time. this is the first disney movie i've watched where i found darkness to be an issue.

excellent movie--dvd main feature--not very happy :(
I couldn't agree more. What the .... were they thinking?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Surely they were thinking - lets give the viewers a choice (thus the mixed aspect ratio transfer and the 1.66:1 transfer). If you want OAR, then you want mixed-ratio. If you find the mixed aspect annoying you can watch a cropped copy - after all any single ratio transfer would be MAR.

You can't complain when you have a choice of viewing! It looks like all international releases will be one disc only with only the MAR transfer. Be happy with what you have!
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
wizzer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wizzer »

2099net wrote:Surely they were thinking - lets give the viewers a choice (thus the mixed aspect ratio transfer and the 1.66:1 transfer). If you want OAR, then you want mixed-ratio. If you find the mixed aspect annoying you can watch a cropped copy - after all any single ratio transfer would be MAR.

You can't complain when you have a choice of viewing! It looks like all international releases will be one disc only with only the MAR transfer. Be happy with what you have!
the dvd is good for giving me the choice, and i definately want oar but i'm simply complaining about the directors original intentions. so i praise the dvd for having a couple viewing options. but the oar version suffers from darkness and pixilation in alot of the darker colors in the background. i'm not bashing the movie itself at all, i loved it. but i definately have the right to complain about it. i have never been happy with a cropped version of a movie over OAR before, why should i start now? maybe they made a better effort on the transfer on the 1.66 version. that will probably be the version i watch next time.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

My parents preordered the blasted thing from disneystore.net and it STILL hasn't come. One of the reasons we preordered it was to get it early(we got Nemo a week before it's release date, making me the envy of my school), and it's coming late.
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I wish the first part of the film on the second disc would look like the whole film on the first disc. None of this black bars on the sides nonsense. I don't think it would have ruined the filmakers wishes to have the first part look like the first disc and then switch to cinemascope. If you notice, the film is chapter selected perfectly at the change. It's as if they knew that I would want to watch the first part on the first disc, and then continue on the second.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

They should have encoded the 1.85:1 in it's own window instead of having it in a 2.35:1 frame which made it small and annoying just like watching a Non-anamorphic DVD on a WS tv! That's the part I didnt like and i will stick to the 1.66.1 version sadly.........
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I'm wondering if Disney couldn't have put a windowboxed and none window boxed version of the opening and used one of the following DVD technologies (seamless branching, extended branching or layer change branching) to enable views to have a choice of viewing.

It was good enough for Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King Special Edition cuts.

That way the 2 disc set could have had OAR and fully 2.35:1 AR on one disc and 1.66:1 AR on the other disc.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Squirrel »

I didn't have a problem with the ratio, personally. I didn't mind, and still think it was an interesting thing to do (and I love the post-transformation part of the film being in Cinemascope). I normally watch DVD's on my computer screen, though.
Meega na la queesta.
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

I've just bought the mexican edition yesterday....it seems that everyone outside the states is getting a one disc only edition, with the 1.66 version only and without the 40 min. documentary :x

so don't complain :lol:
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

I got the region 1 edition and it will arrive this Saturday.
I'm really happy they preserved the film as originally intended. Yeah, I know the windowboxed picture will look extremely small to some of you, but I think that was the motive they chose to include a 1.66:1 aspect ratio version rather than a 1.33:1 version.
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Squirrel »

I've been watching the Rutt and Tuke commentary. It's hilarious! :lol:
Meega na la queesta.
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

Well, putting the picture in full 1.85:1 ratio for the first 20 minutes, then narrowing down to a full 2.35:1 ratio for the rest of the film defeats the purpose of the "widening" view in the first place. That way it looks like you're getting less picture, horizontally, when Kenai wakes up as a bear - it'd be pretty awkward. O_o
I'm glad Disney stuck to their guns in putting the picture that way - 'cause that's truly how it was shown in theatres. You can see the visible "widening" effect when the 1.85 is windowboxed in the 2.35 ratio. It's only so annoying - I mean, playing with ratios isn't normally done in a film, so it's not something we're used to. Plus, it's only 24 minutes of the film - just the beginning quarter. I'd say that's bearable. No pun intended. :P
Squirrel wrote:I've been watching the Rutt and Tuke commentary. It's hilarious! :lol:
I watched the first 10 minutes or so, before I went to bed last night. It really is funny! I'm eager to see the rest now, actually. I really like it's "off the cuff" feel - it seems like they just plopped Thomas and Moranis in front of a mic and a screen and let 'em say whatever came to their minds. I really like all the "non-canonical" references - Yoda, Sea World, wasabi paste... :D
It's more like a barely-in-character cast commentary than it is a Rutt and Tuke commentary... me like! ^_^
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.