I Have "Brother Bear" DVD In My Hands!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Tangela
In The Vaults

Post by Tangela »

Mermaid Kelly wrote:I noticed some color bands too! It wasn't too bad though. Only a slight distraction..mostly on Kenai. :roll:
I just watch films, you know, I don't really look at how they are animated or anything, although sometimes very animation does bother me, like the animation in Robin Hood annoys me. I didn't notice anything bad in Brother Bear, probably because I watch films from a distance, am I the only one who doesn't ear glasses?

Anyways, everyone loves the Kelly!
8)
Tell Chris Johnson that he's Walt Disney and he'll believe it...
-Tangela
I shall be happy if it kills me! Gee Maneese Ow!
-Disneyguru
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

Hahaha, I'm listening to the commentary right now and it's hilarious! This is the best commentary I've ever heard. :D
abl32

Post by abl32 »

I don't think the banding is something to do with my equipment. I've tried the DVD in 3 players, including my laptop with the same results. Then, I tried other animated films in the same players with no banding. I tried The Lion King, The Lion King 1 & 1/2, The Lion King 2, Monsters Inc., etc....

So, who knows....my best guess is that it's just a bad copy. In fact, while watching the movie, it almost looks like someone put a screen in front of the picture. Kinda hard to explain!! But, like I said, this is the only DVD I have that does this.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well, banding can be caused by compression (make a gradient fill and try saving that at various JPEG compression levels to see), but I'm not so sure about Brother Bear.

I say this because apart from the banding, the actual picture looks incredibly clear - it doesn't seem to suffer from other problems (such as the obvious mosquito noice around the outlines on the Beauty and the Beast disc)
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Thanks to everyone for showing me the problems I wasn't seeing. My copy is like that to. I read somewhere that the actual movie takes up a small portion of disc space. Is it possible that Disney compressed the film and that is the reason for the color banding? Or could it be the actual film. A lot of the shading on the characters isn't blended. One color changes to another in a straight line. Is it possible that this was the art style? Maybe none of the DVD's are messed up.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
abl32

Post by abl32 »

goofystitch wrote:Thanks to everyone for showing me the problems I wasn't seeing. My copy is like that to. I read somewhere that the actual movie takes up a small portion of disc space. Is it possible that Disney compressed the film and that is the reason for the color banding? Or could it be the actual film. A lot of the shading on the characters isn't blended. One color changes to another in a straight line. Is it possible that this was the art style? Maybe none of the DVD's are messed up.
I don't know about that. When I described what was happening to Disney Tech Support, they were quick to tell me they would send me another DVD. Still hasn't gotten here yet, but I'll let everyone know if it's different!
Cptn. WolFox

Post by Cptn. WolFox »

Does anyone have any idea where to find a font based on the one used in the title?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Cptn. WolFox wrote:Does anyone have any idea where to find a font based on the one used in the title?
From this thread, the consensus seems to be that Disney created the Brother Bear front for the movie, but that this font is somewhat similar: http://www.highfonts.com/fontsearch.asp ... sea+studio .

Welcome to the forum!
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

The weird thing is that my copy didn't come with those promotional booklets. It came with the "DVD Guide" insert (the one that really matters) but no sign of the other ones. Did all of your copies come with the promotional booklets (the one which advertises Mary Poppins and the other special editions)?
abl32

Post by abl32 »

Hmm, mine came with the promo stuff....nothing really special though :roll:

I got the replacement DVD from Disney yesterday. I'm sorry to report that the picture quality is WORSE than the original DVD I bought. I called Disney back about this, they told me they tested the DVD in their own players and the DVD was fine. I guess they don't know what to look for. They did say that this should not be happening and they're going to send me some sort of form to make a formal complaint/investigation. I sent them some screen shots with the color bands, but I haven't heard back from them. BTW, I've tried the DVD in 7 different DVD players and 2 computers with the same results :x I also emailed them a link to this thread so they don't think I'm crazy :P

Anyway, we'll see what happens and I'll keep ya'll posted!