Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Encanto

Post by D82 »

Since new posts have been made, I'll post the rest of the info here instead of updating my first post about the presentation.

Info about the story and the making of the film

- Charise Castro Smith finally explained what the word "encanto" really means in the movie: "They're areas of heightened spirituality, places of magic like a secret forest we visited, some people call "encantos", hence the name of our movie. These are all over Latin America and usually in areas of natural wonder. Our friends in Colombia told us that magic happens in these places and always has. It's a magic tied to emotion and part of a tradition called magical realism."

- They showed some pictures and a short video from the research trip to Colombia and revealed it took place in 2018 and that Lin-Manuel Miranda's father Luis also accompanied his son and the directors in their visit.

- They also revealed the name of a third member of the music team: producer, composer and musician Mike Elizondo as music arranger.

- Regarding the film's message Yvett Merino says: "We wanted to ask a central question within our film: how well do we truly know our families and how well do they know us? Within these questions we found two central ideas core to the family dynamic: perspective and understanding. That's the foundation of our film. Helping us see that everyone around us is fighting their own battles. Those battles and those choices have made each and every one of us who we are today."

- They revealed something very interesting in the following quote (potential spoiler): "The children born in the Encanto are special in a way that's a nod to the family dynamics that we can all relate to: the strong dependable child who is the rock of the family, the perfect golden child whose happiness blossoms, the quiet kid who isn't comfortable talking to people so he talks to animals, or the worrywart who can see the future but only sees the bad things."

- Merino said that "like the ocean in Moana, the house of Encanto is a character, but as opposed to Moana, our house is a little more opinionated and flawed. It's a house that can play favorites, a house that can mess with people. Casa Madrigal, the magical home of the Madrigal family is located within the Encanto along with the small neighbouring town. It's alive with magic and its own unique personality."

- They also said that each of the rooms in Casa Madrigal is a fantastical realm that represents the personality and magical powers of the Madrigal who lives there.

- And we can assume what kind of problem is making the magic disappear by the following quote by Yvett Merino: "We played with the idea of the physical house as a literal representation of the family and their emotional connections. If the family is happy, the house is healthy; if the family is being playful, the house may be playful; but if the family is going through struggles, the house will crack."

Info about the characters

Mirabel, "The Left Out Child"
Voiced by: Stephanie Beatriz
Powers: none

Mirabel, the main character, is the only ordinary child in a family blessed with magical powers. After spending her entire life trying to measure up to the rest of the Madrigals, Mirabel finds that she's the only one who has the power to save her beloved family and their magical home.

Yvett Merino said about Mirabel's voice actress: "Stephanie has brought so much to this role and to our film. She has such an amazing ability to take the words on the page and find the deep emotion in them. Her passion, vulnerability and amazing comedic chops are on full display in this film and truly brings Mirabel to life."

Isabela, "The Golden Child"
Voiced by: Diane Guerrero
Powers: makes flowers grow

Isabela is gifted with the magical power that makes plants grow and flowers bloom. Mirabel's oldest sister, her effortless grace and poise have made her the golden child of the family, but she's much more than she seems and she secretly feels trapped in her role as the perfect Madrigal.

According to Yvett Merino, "in Isabela, Diane Guerrero had to balance being the effortless perfect golden child with the intense pressure of expectations that come with that perfection. She delivers a performance that finds this balance beautifully".

Luisa, "The Rock of the Family"
Voiced by: Jessica Darrow
Powers: super strength

Luisa is strong, hard-working and extraordinarily athletic. She's the rock of the family and her magical gift is super strength. But Mirabel's middle sister is also sensitive, secretly bursting with oversized emotions that conflict with her tough persona.

Merino said that "Jessica Darrow brought her energy and grit and was key to finding the balance of the strength and softness of Luisa".

Julieta, "The Caretaker"
Voiced by: Angie Cepeda
Powers: heals with food

Julieta is warm and nurturing and has the magical power to heal through food which makes her the Madrigal family caretaker.

Yvett Merino: "Angie brought so much warmth to the role of Julieta. The love Julieta has for Mirabel really comes through."

Agustín, "The Accident Prone One"
Voiced by: Wilmer Valderrama
Powers: none – married into the family

Mirabel's father Agustín is kind and a slightly awkward fish out of water having married into the magical Madrigal family.

Yvett Merino: "Wilmer as Agustín is so much fun and he makes us all fall in love with our loving but awkward dad".

Pepa, "The Emotional One"
Voiced by: Carolina Gaitán
Powers: emotions affect the weather

She's Julieta's sister and Mirabel's aunt. She was gifted the ability to control the weather with her emotions. Pepa is married to Félix, the life of the party, and together they have three children who are cousins to Mirabel.

Félix, "The Life of the Party"
Voiced by: Mauro Castillo
Powers: none – married into the family

Yvett Merino: "Carolina brings such great comedy to our emotional tía Pepa and Mauro's great energy and love for life shines through with his performance as Félix".

Dolores, "The Oddball One"
Voiced by: Adassa
Powers: superhuman ear

Dolores has been gifted the magical ability of extraordinary hearing, so she often hears things she probably shouldn't.

Camilo, "The Family Jokester"
Voiced by: Rhenzy Feliz
Powers: ability to shapeshift

Camilo was gifted the ability to transform his appearance at will, so he's a shapeshifter.

Yvett Merino: "Rhenzy brought so much fun to Camilo, adding entertainment and comedy to our story, and Adassa genuinely made Dolores shine and her singing voice is truly amazing".

Antonio, "The Introvert"
Voiced by: Rabi Cabot-Conyers
Powers: communicates with animals

Antonio receives his magical gift, which is communicating with animals. He's warmhearted and shy, Mirabel's favorite cousin and the two of them are very close.

Yvett Merino: "Rabi's gentle and sweet performance brings even more heart to our film".

Abuelo Pedro
The family started with him and the abuela. He sacrificed a great deal for his family.

Abuela Alma, "The Matriarch"
Voiced by: Maria Cecilia Botero

Her unwavering faith created the magical Encanto the Madrigals call home. She's the matriarch of the Madrigal family and her steely strength and single-minded determination to protect her family haven't wavered in the 50 years since she lost her husband.

Yvett Merino: "When we found María Cecilia, we immediately loved the warmth she brought to this character and how she was able to balance the warmth with the strength and fortitude of our abuela Alma".
Last edited by D82 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for the detailed report, D82! I've finished watching the video too and here are a couple of things you didn't mention.

• The film's running time is 90 minutes.

• There is a big musical set piece in the middle of the film where in the background a different kind of animation is used. My guess is that in the scene in question there are paintings on the walls or something like that which are 2D-animated.
D82 wrote:"or the worrywart who can see the future but only sees the bad things."
I believe Charise Castro Smith let this slip by accident. There's no way she meant to reveal what Mirabel's gift was.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^You're welcome. :) And thanks for adding that info! I didn't post all they said; just the things I found most interesting, but I forgot about those two! I'm really curious about that musical number and what kind of animation she was talking about. What you said is a good guess. I also think it'll probably be 2D-animated (or 3D made to look like 2D). Regarding the film's running time, I wasn't sure if Charise meant that's the actual running time of the film or if she talked about how long animated movies usually are, but maybe it is.
Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:"or the worrywart who can see the future but only sees the bad things."
I believe Charise Castro Smith let this slip by accident. There's no way she meant to reveal what Mirabel's gift was.
They seemed to have all written down, so I don't think she revealed it by accident. I think that's most likely Bruno's magical ability. It's true that Mirabel is the only one who can see the cracks, but I don't think she's a worrywart. If I'm not mistaken, she has even been described as optimistic before. Anyway, I'll put that part of my post in spoilers just in case.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I also think it'll probably be 2D-animated (or 3D made to look like 2D).
The latter is more likely, unfortunately.
D82 wrote:Regarding the film's running time, I wasn't sure if Charise meant that's the actual running time of the film or if she talked about how long animated movies usually are.
Ah, OK. I must have misunderstood then.
D82 wrote:I think that's most likely Bruno's magical ability. It's true that Mirabel is the only one who can see the cracks, but I don't think she's a worrywart. If I'm not mistaken, she has even been described as optimistic before.
I think Mirabel puts on an optimistic face, but she secretly feels uneasy or unhappy. She seemed really sad in that still and her sisters also have something about their personalities they hide from the world, so it makes sense Mirabel does too. It's what the three of them will eventually bond over during the course of the film.

Regardless, I do think you're right and that Bruno's the one with the gift. Of course, that raises the question of where he is and how come Mirabel is able to see the cracks. Shouldn't he be the one seeing them instead? Even if he left the house or got stuck in his room, it still wouldn't explain why Mirabel is able to see them.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Ah, OK. I must have misunderstood then.
No, maybe you understood it correctly. What she said is something along the lines of that it was a challenge to have so many characters in a 90 minute-film. Maybe she was talking about the film's actual running time or maybe she said that particular number because it's the length animated movies usually have. My point was that she didn't make completely clear what she was referring to.
D82 wrote:I think Mirabel puts on an optimistic face, but she secretly feels uneasy or unhappy. She seemed really sad in that still and her sisters also have something about their personalities they hide from the world, so it makes sense Mirabel does too. It's what the three of them will eventually bond over during the course of the film.
That's a good point. Maybe you're right. Now I'm not completely sure it's Bruno's gift. If it was Mirabel's power, that would explain why she can see the cracks. Plus, Charise also said that "After spending her entire life trying to measure up to the rest of the Madrigals, Mirabel finds that she's the only one who has the power to save her beloved family and their magical home." Could she be talking about a magical power there? On the other hand, like you said, it's a bit strange she would reveal that if it was Mirabel's gift. Plus, what's Bruno's power then? And what about the abandoned turret with the hourglass symbols? Also, Bruno does look sad in that image that was revealed of him and it makes sense he would be the pessimistic one.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Now I'm not completely sure it's Bruno's gift. If it was Mirabel's power, that would explain why she can see the cracks. Plus, Charise also said that "After spending her entire life trying to measure up to the rest of the Madrigals, Mirabel finds that she's the only one who has the power to save her beloved family and their magical home." Could she be talking about a magical power there? On the other hand, like you said, it's a bit strange she would reveal that if it was Mirabel's gift. Plus, what's Bruno's power then? And what about the abandoned turret with the hourglass symbols? Also, Bruno does look sad in that image that was revealed of him and it makes sense he would be the pessimistic one.
I'm convinced it's Bruno's power. If it were Mirabel's, she would be having visions from a young age (and she would have her own room). It needn't be something as serious as the house losing its magic. She would have been able to foretell less critical unfortunate events such as someone getting sick or injured from early on. The fact she doesn't means she's not the one with the gift.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:orthe worrywart who can see the future but only sees the bad things."
Ah. I thought when people were talking about how she could see the cracks of the house and nobody else could that she was perhaps seeing emotional pain or the house's powers were slowly weakening.

At least they are open about the house being like the ocean from Moana. The Revival films are so similar, I almost think they have a literal blueprint they're forced by Disney to follow.
If the family is happy, the house is healthy; if the family is being playful, the house may be playful; but if the family is going through struggles, the house will crack."
This is sort of what I thought with the idea the story might be in response to Mirabel's emotions before. Perhaps the future she's seeing is what the house will become because of her feelings of alienation from the others, that it will weaken the family / house. They said the house itself can play favorites... I wonder if even the house treats Mirabel badly. :lol: I can see a lot of memes coming out of that.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• More 2D images of Mirabel from these movie-themed fabrics.

Image Image

• New interview with María Cecilia Botero, who voices Abuela Alma: here's a summary with English subtitles and here's the full interview in Spanish.

• And Mauro Castillo, who plays Félix in the film, has revealed he will also voice the character in the Spanish dub. That's great news for Colombians because it probably means the other roles will also be voiced by Colombian artists. I read the comments for the Latin American trailer when it came out and a big part of them were by Colombians disappointed by the Mexican accents in the trailer and worried that the actual film would be dubbed by Mexican artists as well, which wouldn't be strange since the Latin American dub for Disney movies is usually recorded in Mexico. (News via the_.madrigals on Instagram).

Sotiris wrote:I'm convinced it's Bruno's power. If it were Mirabel's, she would be seeing visions from a young age (and she would have her own room). It needn't be something as serious as the house losing its magic. She would have been able to foretell less critical unfortunate events such as someone getting sick or injured from early on. The fact she doesn't means she's not the one with the gift.
It's funny how the tables have turned. Now you're the one convinced it's Bruno's power and I'm the one who has doubts. :lol: But I actually agree with you, I think it's most likely Bruno's gift. I just think there's a remote possibility it could be Mirabel's. Seeing the cracks that nobody else can see really fits with the ability to see unfortunate future events. Although, as we have speculated before, maybe Bruno shares these visions with her somehow. Or, who knows, perhaps her ability is to absorb the powers of others or something like that.

Anyway, now that we know the power related to time is to see unfortunate future events, I think that could explain why Bruno left the house (if he's indeed the one who has that power). Now I don't think it was because of an argument; I think he either left because he didn't want to see one of his visions coming true, or most likely, because his gift was too much for him to bear and he knew he would lose that ability if he left the Encanto. Also, now that we know that what makes the house crack is the family going through struggles, I think Bruno leaving the family could be enough of a problem for that to happen. I imagine everyone is sad about that, especially her mother, but also her sisters and everyone else. Mirabel's mission then would probably be tracking him down and convincing him to come home. But that's just a theory, maybe the issue is not Bruno, or there are several problems within the family that need to be fixed and not just one, since one of the themes is "how well do we know our families".
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

The 2D designs have SO MUCH MORE appeal, it's really incredible that they weren't able to translate that into the final CGI designs... And a damn shame... The difference has never been this huge from what I can recall...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The Revival films are so similar, I almost think they have a literal blueprint they're forced by Disney to follow.
Sad but true. In my opinion, they're much more formulaic and derivative than the '90s films which are often criticized of that.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Perhaps the future she's seeing is what the house will become because of her feelings of alienation from the others, that it will weaken the family/house.
The thing is it's not just Mirabel who's feeling isolated. Her sisters are also secretly struggling as is Antonio. Because several family members aren't properly communicating with each other, they can't find the necessary support and understanding and thus their emotional distress keeps intensifying. If that's the reason the house is deteriorating, it won't be solely due to Mirabel's feelings but others' as well.
Disney's Divinity wrote:They said the house itself can play favorites... I wonder if even the house treats Mirabel badly. :lol: I can see a lot of memes coming out of that.
I think the house is going to be friendly and nice towards Mirabel. The fact it was bringing her her shoes in the trailer seems to indicate that.
D82 wrote:Seeing the cracks that nobody else can see really fits with the ability to see unfortunate future events. Although, as we have speculated before, maybe Bruno shares these visions with her somehow.
I think either Bruno who will be far away or otherwise indisposed will be sending those visions to her or the candle's magic/Pedro's spirit through those yellow butterflies.
D82 wrote:Or, who knows, perhaps her ability is to absorb the powers of others or something like that.

Like the X-Men's Rogue? I don't think they'll be doing that. It's more probable she'll be a conduit to the candle's magic or Pedro's spirit. I think she will have a special connection to them that establishes her as The Chosen One.
D82 wrote:Mirabel's mission then would probably be tracking him down and convincing him to come home. But that's just a theory, maybe the issue is not Bruno, or there are several problems within the family that need to be fixed and not just one, since one of the themes is "how well do we know our families".
It occurred to me too that part of her quest might be finding Bruno or that Bruno and her will be teaming up to save the day, but based on the new information available, I no longer believe that to be the case. First of, I don't see them leaving Encanto when there are so many different worlds already available to explore in each room. Also, given there are other members who are feeling isolated and are struggling emotionally, I believe that Mirabel will going into mini-quests in each world along with the owner of the room and resolving that person's issues.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Here's the full video if you want to watch it.
The video is no longer available. Disney had them remove it. This secrecy thing is getting out of hand. We're talking about a generic behind-the-scenes presentation that didn't reveal anything important plot-wise for a film that's about to be released in just two months. Utterly ridiculous. :roll:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:The thing is it's not just Mirabel who's feeling isolated. Her sisters are also secretly struggling as is Antonio. Because several family members aren't properly communicating with each other, they can't find the necessary support and understanding and thus their emotional distress keeps intensifying. If that's the reason the house is deteriorating, it won't be solely due to Mirabel's feelings but others' as well.
Good point! I wonder if this movie is supposed to be a play on that whole quote of people arguing over nothing while the house itself burns down around them. In other words, Mirabel is the one who notices the bigger problem which is their separate internal struggles and lack of true familial feeling.
Sotiris wrote:I think the house is going to be friendly and nice towards Mirabel. The fact it was bringing her her shoes in the trailer seems to indicate that.
Oh, I know, I don't really expect it. I'm just imagining jokes that could come out of it like, "Even the furniture hates Mirabel." :lol: :lol: Oh, and I like your new avatar. I've liked all the ones you've had lately--I liked the Jim one, too. I can't remember, did you have one of the Spring Sprite at one point as well?

I don't know if I agree that this is the biggest disparity between the hand-drawn images and the 3D finished film... Hiro and Maui come to mind. I thought most of Tangled's human characters looked better in hand-drawn, too. Admittedly, I didn't like Gothel's design altogether, but her hair was worse in 3D than in drawings, and Flynn's facial hair looked less like a plastic doll's. I'd include Rapunzel as well, mostly the face and eyes (and the dress, which, like Gothel's hair, was a design I didn't care for altogether but looked worse in the finished product than in drawings); they did make her hair look alright at least. And I don't remember ever seeing drawings of the Mittens character from Bolt, but I can't help but imagine they look better than the in-film design.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Oh, and I like your new avatar. I've liked all the ones you've had lately--I liked the Jim one, too. I can't remember, did you have one of the Spring Sprite at one point as well?
Thanks! I love the promotional materials for Tarzan. They had a special shading and texture to them that set them apart. And yes, I did have the Spring Sprite as an avatar at one point.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: And I don't remember ever seeing drawings of the Mittens character from Bolt, but I can't help but imagine they look better than the in-film design.
Here are a couple pages from the art book (excuse my pajamas/lap lol): http://imgur.com/a/RDfbHrR
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I think either Bruno who will be far away or otherwise indisposed will be sending those visions to her or the candle's magic/Pedro's spirit through those yellow butterflies.
I thought it could be Bruno because the visions Mirabel sees seem very similar to his power, but the candle's magic or Pedro's spirit will definitely play an important role in the story too, so I agree they could be the ones sending her these visions instead of Bruno.
Sotiris wrote:Like the X-Men's Rogue? I don't think they'll be doing that. It's more probable she'll be a conduit to the candle's magic or Pedro's spirit. I think she will have a special connection to them that establishes her as the Chosen One.
I think I chose the wrong words to describe it. I actually meant that maybe she'll be able to use the powers of others, but not by touching them and absorbing their powers like Rogue. Anyway, it's true that it's a bit too far-fetched and more fitting to a superhero movie. Regarding her being the chosen one, I think it's possible the candle didn't give her any powers because it had a more important mission for her.
Sotiris wrote:It occurred to me too that part of her quest might be finding Bruno or that Bruno and her will be teaming up to save the day, but based on the new information available, I no longer believe that to be the case. First of, I don't see them leaving Encanto when there are so many different worlds already available to explore in each room. Also, given there are other members who feel isolated and are struggling emotionally, I believe that Mirabel will going into mini-quests in each world along with the owner of the room and resolving that person's issues.
That's possible. I hope the next trailer gives us some clues about what Mirabel's mission will be.
Sotiris wrote:The video is no longer available. Disney had them remove it. This secrecy thing is getting out of hand. We're talking about a generic behind-the-scenes presentation that didn't reveal anything important plot-wise for a film that's about to be released in just two months. Utterly ridiculous. :roll:
How strange. Especially because Disney themselves sponsored the presentation and it seemed it had all been carefully organized by them. I wish I had downloaded the video when it was still available. Anyway, I guess we'll get new info very soon.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• The second trailer has been rated by the Alberta Film Classification office for its release in Canada. This probably means it's going to be released any day now. According to their website, it'll be 2 minutes and 8 seconds long.

Encanto has been rated PG for "some thematic elements and mild peril."

• Interview with production designer Ian Gooding:
As Ian explains, it's natural for a production designer to travel to the location he or she is going to use as inspiration for their work. In his case, this meant traveling to Colombia for the production of Encanto, but since the pandemic prevented him and his team from traveling, they had to adapt. They hired experts and consultants in Colombia, who sent them all kinds of photos of the local culture, fauna and flora.

Every day they received hundreds of photos of flowers, animals and landscapes. They even consulted with a group of architects in Colombia, so that they could advise them on how to build the protagonist family's house according to what a traditional house in the region would look like.

"Of course, the internet was a great help for research on our part. But we had consultants and experts back in Colombia, whom we asked to send us all kinds of photos and videos on a daily basis. It was fascinating how we could ask for just one thing, but each consultant would send totally different photos from the others. So we would spend hours researching all the material." - Ian Gooding, veteran Disney Animation artist.
Source: https://www.industriaanimacion.com/2021 ... y-encanto/

• Interview with assistant production designer Lorelay Bové:
"One of the most challenging things was [designing] the house, as it was a character and had to emote," commented the visual work manager, who was previously involved in acclaimed projects such as "Zootopia" and "Big Hero 6." "The design was to make the house move, make it move people or just express itself," she added.

Thus, the animators had to take advantage of various details of the home, such as having "the beautiful Colombian shutters open up and down like a wave." And, on the other hand, to play with a color palette in the absence of environments, as when at one point in the film Luisa - one of the characters - sings a song.

"It was a challenge because it was a bit abstract, it wasn't set in a place and it was very emotional. How could we show an emotion through color and not with a lot of things? Everything in this film was very challenging," Bové said.

If "Encanto" exhibits the imprint of Colombian culture, it is precisely thanks to the work that Lorelay Bové and her team put into the details of the landscapes, achieved through an exhaustive analysis of Colombian environments. "In our art department we do a lot of research," said the designer.

So, if the story of the film takes place in the Cocora Valley -located in the central mountain range of the Colombian Andes-, then the advice of specialists in botany, for example, was considered necessary to ensure that the plants that were drawn correspond to those that grow in that region.

"It was very useful to have a group of consultants on this project," Bové said.

And as for the finish of the houses, the designer emphasized that "in many Latin American countries everything looks handmade, handcrafted." "When you see the house, there are some details that are cracked, they are not perfect, the place is hand-painted," she explained.

For that reason, she sought to give a visual treatment to "Encanto" so that everything looks "very tactile," including the characters' clothes or their hair. She also highlighted "the beautiful colors that are in Colombia," in its "flowers, plants and costumes." "Getting that from Colombia and taking it to another level was a pleasure," she said.

That "Encanto" has an impeccable visual invoice is a product of the collaboration between Lorelay Bové along with the production designers, the character art director, another environmental art director and a senior costume designer. A set of looks that contributed to its final finish.

"We could do different things on the film, and then even another artist could bring something else to the table and add more art design," she commented. The kitchen in the Madrigal home, for example, underwent several changes until it achieved the colorful, lively look viewers can see on screen.

But another element may have contributed to "Encanto" being a film that gracefully and dynamically combines spaces and music. And that was Bové's "pleasure" in "working on a very colorful musical." For a lover of musicals, inspiration can come under the notes of a vallenato.
Source: https://rpp.pe/tv/streaming/disney-plus ... ia-1359871

• Also, some toys are starting to appear in stores, like this figurine set a youtuber found at Walmart. Bruno is included in it as part of the family, so it seems they're not hiding him anymore. I think he'll probably be officially introduced in the next trailer. The character's in the house's turret here (which like the door in the teaser poster has hourglass symbols on it), so I guess that confirms he's the one whose power is to see things about the future.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVlICemZXFU

An interesting detail about Bruno's figurine is that he has a rat in his hands. He was also shown surrounded by rats in that picture of him from a book I posted a while back. For the ones who don't know what his place in the family tree is; he's Mirabel's uncle, Alma and Pedro's son, and Pepa and Julieta's brother, as it was revealed in this illustration from one of the Russian books.

Image Image

Update: Here's the back of the set:

Image Image
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUY7H3BDplz/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:And, on the other hand, to play with a color palette in the absence of environments, as when at one point in the film Luisa - one of the characters - sings a song. It was a challenge because it was a bit abstract, it wasn't set in a place and it was very emotional.
I wonder if the sequence she's talking about is when Luisa is dancing with the donkeys. It's probably a different one since she refers to the scene in question as emotional.
D82 wrote:An interesting detail about Bruno's figurine is that he has a rat in his hands. He was also shown surrounded by rats in that picture of him from a book I posted a while back.
We thought that him being surrounded by rats was an indication of him leaving the house and becoming a beggar or a drifter, but it seems he was always into rats even before leaving. Assuming he does leave, that is. I'm not so sure about that anymore. The fact he's befriended rats is unusual given his power. He's described as a worrywart, so maybe he confides in the rats about the things he sees instead of his family so as not to alarm them? Talking to rats is his way to cope? The figurine where he's holding the rat in both hands reminded me of Remy and Linguini from Ratatouille.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Both new posters are boring and lazy. The reused the same clipart for almost every character. The compositions are no good either. The spaces feel cluttered and cramped. It's interesting Bruno is nowhere to be found in the American poster whereas he's included in the French one. I wonder if that disparity will be repeated in the trailers with Bruno being absent from the domestic trailer while present in the international one.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

A Little bit creepy... Is he going to murder them all?