Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Encanto

Post by D82 »

Wow, finally a first look at the characters! Well, I have to admit they look a bit different from what I expected, but my first impression is quite positive. I'm glad Mirabel looks like a teenager and not like an adult and I like that she doesn't look like a typical Disney princess/heroine. I also think it's great that we're getting a female protagonist who wears glasses. She's the first one at that, right? Personally, I couldn't care less whether she fits with the rest of the princesses or not, but I understand that for some people it can be disappointing not to get a more traditional princess look for the first Latina princess from the studio (if she's actually added to the line). I also like the traditional outfits. I don't remember if it had been confirmed whether the film has a period setting or not. If it hadn't, I guess the glasses confirm it's not set in the past. Well, at least not in a too distant one.

Here's the original source of the leak and the full picture of the Encanto products:

I think you're right the first two characters after Mirabel below (from left to right) are her sisters Isabela and Luisa, Sotiris. I guess what Isabela holds in her hand is probably a flower. She also has flowers in her dress and hair, so I imagine her power could be making flowers (or plants in general) grow. I've watched the teaser trailer again and I've noticed the flowers open progressively as the camera pans from the ground to the house (I hadn't noticed that before), so I think that could mean someone in the family has that power. Also, there's a part of the house that's full of flowers; I bet that's where Isabela's bedroom is located. The other sister must be the character with super strength mentioned in the synopsis. It's a nice twist that they gave this power to a female character and not to a male one, as they usually do. As for the boy, he must be Antonio. One of the products listed on Amazon was called "Antonio's Animal Swing Small Doll Playset", so I guess his power is related to animals and this character is shown with a toucan. By the way, could the toucan be Chispi or Parce? If I had to guess, I'd say he's Parce, as Chispi sounds more appropriate for the jaguar to me. I also noticed that in the teaser there are toucans or other similar birds near the jaguar, and the butterfly goes in that direction as well, so I guess that's Antonio's bedroom. Mirabel and her sisters don't look Black to me, so I think he's probably their cousin and not their brother. It's possible he was always Mirabel's cousin and not her love-interest. The older lady must be Julieta, since there's a playset called "Julieta's Kitchen" and she seems to have a spoon in her hand. She has to be Mirabel's mother and her name must have changed from Juana to Julieta. I wonder if she has powers related to cooking. Regarding the last girl, I think she could be the 20-year-old Afro-Latina woman called Dolores and be Antonio's sister and Mirabel's other cousin, but maybe I'm wrong. What does she hold in her hands? Is it a rainbow? If so, I guess her power could be controlling the weather. There's a rainbow and a cloud at the top of the house, so that might indicate someone has that ability.

I guess that's not the complete family. Mirabel's father and grandmother are not there and according to the synopsis someone has the power to heal.

Speaking of powers, do you guys think Mirabel will discover she does have a power during the course of the film like it happened with Jack Jack in The Incredibles or the lead character from Sky High, for example, or will she remain being the only one without powers by the end of the film?

DisneyEra wrote:Been on Hiatus for a while (death of my Grandparents, Father having a stroke & me having Covid last January) but really Disney. Another leak? They're gonna have to release the Trailer ASAP, this should not have been these characters first reveal to the world :facepalm:
I'm glad you're back, DisneyEra. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been though all that. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you and your father are OK now. As for the leak, I get what you mean. The characters most likely would've looked better in an official first look from Disney and they would've been better received, but I think only Disney fans will find out about this leak; for the general public, the official first look will be the first thing they see from the movie.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

They look all...chibi. I dont like it.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Thank you for everyone's kind words. I'm doing better & look forward to WDAS newest feature Encanto. Will be interesting to see how this feature comes about over the next 6 months.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyEra wrote:Been on Hiatus for a while (death of my Grandparents, Father having a stroke & me having Covid last January) but really Disney. Another leak? They're gonna have to release the Trailer ASAP, this should not have been these characters first reveal to the world :facepalm:
I'm glad you're back, DisneyEra. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been though all that. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you and your father are OK now. As for the leak, I get what you mean. The characters most likely would've looked better in an official first look from Disney and they would've been better received, but I think only Disney fans will find out about this leak; for the general public, the official first look will be the first thing they see from the movie.[/quote]

I agree, most casuals won't care about this leak, heck, most people are even unaware this movie even exists. But still, having these characters first reveal through cheap toys is disappointing, & the longer Disney waits to drop an official trailer, what happens if another leak come out? I'm hoping Disney drops the trailer before that happens, & officially reveal the characters with an Entertainment-Weekly exclusive: like Raya had last August.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The consensus on Twitter, based on the replies and quote tweets on this post about the toys leaks, is very positive.

So I think the general audience will respond a lot more favourably to how the final characters look than this forum will.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

It's horrible, they all look like little kids...
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:Mirabel and her sisters don't look Black to me, so I think he's probably their cousin and not their brother. It's possible he was always Mirabel's cousin and not her love-interest.
I don't know if that's true or not. Isabela looks darker than Mirabel and Luisa lighter than the both of them. It's still possible the boy is also a sibling. I like the name Julieta. Yes, it looked like a rainbow in Dolores' hands to me from first look. Isabela, Julieta, and Dolores are the characters that I'm intrigued the most by so far; Isabela being a plant character makes me like her even more, I've always liked those types in fantasy settings like these, and Isabela is such a pretty name. I agree with you that it's nice they gave the sister super strength rather than the boy (who's either a cousin or brother). To me, this film looks like it's following Raya's example in having a so-called "girl's film" actually have a cast that's dominated by female characters unlike older films where there were usually only the protagonist and the villainess in a good-evil dichotomous relationship to one another. The majority of the characters are women. I like that.

I do think it's possible that Mirabel has a power of her own... Perhaps it's an "invisible" power, something interpersonal--perhaps an ability to draw people together or make them feel good / happy. Basically the opposite of Elsa's ice powers, where they were a danger to everyone around her and she had to feel love to be able to control them, Mirabel's would instead draw the others inwards and emit love outwards. Or perhaps the power to make others feel whatever it is she is feeling at any given moment? If something like that does happen in the story, it would fit considering she seems like a warm character. That said, I still hope maybe she does look younger than the normal princess and ends up not being included in the line. The line's bloated anyway, but I think that's hopeful wishing since she's a "First _______ princess." I get she's supposed to be a plain Jane type, but she looks a little like Steve Urkel. :lol: Combined with a Nickelodeon aesthetic. She wouldn't look out-of-place on Rugrats or As Told by Ginger. Hers is the only design that looks that way, the others are fine.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

First post in over 3 years (thanks again Sotiris for fixing my account!).

Not sure what to think of these character designs. This looks like toy designs causing confusion. I’m assuming the feature film designs will look slightly different? Like, not all the same height for example.

I’m mostly looking forward to hearing some new songs from a Disney animated film. Even if it’s Lin Manuel Miranda.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely the designs for a Disney feature film will look better, more polished, than little plastic toys!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyEra wrote:Thank you for everyone's kind words. I'm doing better & look forward to WDAS newest feature Encanto. Will be interesting to see how this feature comes about over the next 6 months.
I'm glad you're doing better and that you have this film to look forward to. I'm really excited for it too.
DisneyEra wrote:I'm hoping Disney drops the trailer before that happens, & officially reveal the characters with an Entertainment-Weekly exclusive: like Raya had last August.
I also hope they give us an official look at the film soon. The DisInsider said the first trailer will be released this month, so maybe it'll happen.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't know if that's true or not. Isabela looks darker than Mirabel and Luisa lighter than the both of them. It's still possible the boy is also a sibling.
Yes, it's possible. That was just my guess, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the father of the family is Black and that's why some children are darker than others. Although, most of them don't seem to have Black features. That's why I thought the boy could be Mirabel's cousin. Maybe the father just has darker skin than the mother and that's why Isabela, for example, is darker than the others.
Disney's Divinity wrote:To me, this film looks like it's following Raya's example in having a so-called "girl's film" actually have a cast that's dominated by female characters unlike older films where there were usually only the protagonist and the villainess in a good-evil dichotomous relationship to one another. The majority of the characters are women. I like that.
I hadn't thought about it, but you're right; only the little boy there is a male character. I like it too. After so many films in the past with predominantly male casts, it's nice to have some predominantly female ones for a change.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I do think it's possible that Mirabel has a power of her own... Perhaps it's an "invisible" power, something interpersonal--perhaps an ability to draw people together or make them feel good / happy. Basically the opposite of Elsa's ice powers, where they were a danger to everyone around her and she had to feel love to be able to control them, Mirabel's would instead draw the others inwards and emit love outwards. Or perhaps the power to make others feel whatever it is she is feeling at any given moment? If something like that does happen in the story, it would fit considering she seems like a warm character.
Those are interesting theories. It makes sense her power would be something "invisible", like you said, and that's why she hadn't realized she had it before. I think it'll be either something like that or she won't have any superpower and they'll want her to learn some lesson with that, like that she doesn't need a superpower to be special.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I get she's supposed to be a plain Jane type, but she looks a little like Steve Urkel. :lol:
:lol: Now that you mention it, she does look a bit like him.
PatrickvD wrote:First post in over 3 years (thanks again Sotiris for fixing my account!).

Not sure what to think of these character designs. This looks like toy designs causing confusion. I’m assuming the feature film designs will look slightly different? Like, not all the same height for example.

I’m mostly looking forward to hearing some new songs from a Disney animated film. Even if it’s Lin Manuel Miranda.
Welcome back, PatrickvD! :) I didn't know you stopped posting because you couldn't log in. It's too bad that happened to you and several others and that you couldn't even explain to the rest why you weren't active here anymore. I'm so glad the problem with your account has been fixed. Great job Sotiris and Luke! :up:

As for your comment about Encanto, I agree. We have to keep in mind these are just toys and not perfect representations of the real film designs. Here's a Frozen 2 set from the same line of toys to help get an idea of how much they'll resemble the actual characters:

The music is one of the things I'm most excited about too. Personally, I really liked the songs in Moana, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Lin-Manuel has written for this film.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They removed everything.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's nice to see that the people working on it are so excited and passionate about the movie.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:It's nice to see that the people working on it are so excited and passionate about the movie.
That's true. What's interesting as well is that they have only 8 weeks left for animation, and then all they have left is sound effects, score and editing. The film might be done in early September, which is relatively soon.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

According to Encanto`s private Facebook-page, the trailer will come out in July according to Disinsider. What a bummer.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:What's interesting as well is that they have only 8 weeks left for animation, and then all they have left is sound effects, score and editing. The film might be done in early September, which is relatively soon.
Yes, that's surprising. Normally, they're working on the films until almost the day of the release.
DisneyFan09 wrote:According to Encanto`s private Facebook-page, the trailer will come out in July according to Disinsider. What a bummer.
Thanks for the info! Well, we'll have to wait a bit more, but at least it'll be released soon.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Weren't The Disinsider the ones saying it's going to be in June? They're becoming more and more like We Got This Covered.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Yes, but who knows, maybe its release has been postponed. That happened for example with Luca. Sometimes the director himself said the trailer would come out on one particular date and it didn't.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D82 wrote:Thanks for the info! Well, we'll have to wait a bit more, but at least it'll be released soon.
You`re welcome :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:Do you think Mirabel will be Black? This casting call for earlier versions of Mirabel's siblings described them as Afro-Latino which could mean Mirabel will be Afro-Colombian instead of Mestizo. Mestizos (=half Indigenous, half Caucasian) constitute the majority of Colombia's population (and most of Latin America's in general). Disney might have opted to make her Black because in Colombia, Afro-Latinos are marginalized and face a lot of discrimination and inequality. They may have wanted to draw attention to that and make a statement. If that's the case, I think there will be severe backlash. Having Disney's first Latina princess be Black won't go down well with most Latinos.
thedisneyspirit wrote: Disney hasn't done anything for us Latinos and no the whitewashed Emperor's New Groove doesn't count, so this wouldn't surprise me a bit. Disney has already received a lot of controversy with my people for all their latest blackwashing castings and that was only with white characters. If there is that much outrage with white characters like Ariel and Tinker Bell being racebent imagine how we will feel when one of our own is taken away from us too.

We only have white Latinas like Honey Lemon and Sofia who do not represent the majority of us or that Taco Bell Elena. Take this Latina away so that she is not solely our own and I predict Disney will have a flop coming in Latin America. What else can we expect from a racist colonizing corporation.
I was watching The View this morning and they were talking about some controversy surrounding Lin-Manuel Miranda, that he made sure light-skinned Latinos were at the front of the show in Hamilton over dark-skinned actors or something along those lines? I don't pretend to know all the details, but hearing the story made me think of these comments. Perhaps this is why they wanted at least a few of the characters to be dark-skinned, because of that controversy? Daveed Diggs, Miranda's friend who's got a lot of work at Disney through him, was on the show as a guest as well and apparently the show the two are working on for Netflix was spearheaded by the Obamas. I guess that explains why Miranda's had so much power at Disney these days. The company is in the Democrats' pocket, that's been obvious for a decade or more, probably because of Iger's own aspirations bending them that direction. I'm personally fine with that since it's got us things like diversity, feminism, etc. as a focus--it also put a Republican bull's-eye on the company as a result which helped finally rid us of Lasseter as well as take down Mulan 2020--but it is unfortunate we've had to deal with Miranda ruining the live-action TLM simply because he's a friend of Obama. I don't really care if he stinks up his original projects at Disney, but treating TLM like he alone has a true understanding of the property despite having no part in its history was beyond the pale.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"