Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Encanto

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:I don't remember if all of these character names had already been revealed or not.
They had. Luisa and Isabela are Mirabel's sisters and Antonio is assumed to be her brother because they share the same last name, but I suppose it could be some other relative of hers. Here are the changes in character names (given they are indeed the same characters and not different ones). Based on the character descriptions, I believe they are the same characters and Antonio was simply changed from being Mirabel's "enemy"/love interest to her brother.

Mariana -> Mirabel
Ines -> Dolores -> Isabela
Lydia -> Luisa
Carlos -> Camilo -> Antonio
Juana -> Julieta
Thanks for the summary! It's very helpful. The characters' names have changed so many times that it's difficult to keep track.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

According to Skyler Shuler from The DisInsider, the teaser trailer will be released next month.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for the info!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Do you think Mirabel will be Black? This casting call for earlier versions of Mirabel's siblings described them as Afro-Latino which could mean Mirabel will be Afro-Colombian instead of Mestizo. Mestizos (=half Indigenous, half Caucasian) constitute the majority of Colombia's population (and most of Latin America's in general). Disney might have opted to make her Black because in Colombia, Afro-Latinos are marginalized and face a lot of discrimination and inequality. They may have wanted to draw attention to that and make a statement. If that's the case, I think there will be severe backlash. Having Disney's first Latina princess be Black won't go down well with most Latinos.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Sotiris wrote:Do you think Mirabel will be Black? This casting call for earlier versions of Mirabel's siblings described them as Afro-Latino which could mean Mirabel will be Afro-Colombian instead of Mestizo. Mestizos (=half Indigenous, half Caucasian) constitute the majority of Colombia's population (and most of Latin America's in general). Disney might have opted to make her Black because in Colombia, Afro-Latinos are marginalized and face a lot of discrimination and inequality. They may have wanted to draw attention to that and make a statement. If that's the case, I think there will be severe backlash. Having Disney's first Latina princess be Black won't go down well with most Latinos.
Disney hasn't done anything for us Latinos and no the whitewashed Emperor's New Groove doesn't count, so this wouldn't surprise me a bit. Disney has already received a lot of controversy with my people for all their latest blackwashing castings and that was only with white characters. If there is that much outrage with white characters like Ariel and Tinker Bell being racebent imagine how we will feel when one of our own is taken away from us too.

We only have white Latinas like Honey Lemon and Sofia who do not represent the majority of us or that Taco Bell Elena. Take this Latina away so that she is not solely our own and I predict Disney will have a flop coming in Latin America. What else can we expect from a racist colonizing corporation.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: If that's the case, I think there will be severe backlash. Having Disney's first Latina princess be Black won't go down well with most Latinos.
About as well as what would've been Disney's first Black prince (Naveen) turning out to be European instead.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Do you think Mirabel will be Black? This casting call for earlier versions of Mirabel's siblings described them as Afro-Latino which could mean Mirabel will be Afro-Colombian instead of Mestizo. Mestizos (=half Indigenous, half Caucasian) constitute the majority of Colombia's population (and most of Latin America's in general). Disney might have opted to make her Black because in Colombia, Afro-Latinos are marginalized and face a lot of discrimination and inequality. They may have wanted to draw attention to that and make a statement. If that's the case, I think there will be severe backlash. Having Disney's first Latina princess be Black won't go down well with most Latinos.
Disney hasn't done anything for us Latinos and no the whitewashed Emperor's New Groove doesn't count, so this wouldn't surprise me a bit. Disney has already received a lot of controversy with my people for all their latest blackwashing castings and that was only with white characters. If there is that much outrage with white characters like Ariel and Tinker Bell being racebent imagine how we will feel when one of our own is taken away from us too.

We only have white Latinas like Honey Lemon and Sofia who do not represent the majority of us or that Taco Bell Elena. Take this Latina away so that she is not solely our own and I predict Disney will have a flop coming in Latin America. What else can we expect from a racist colonizing corporation.
white Latinos will just ignore it as another "movie for black people" like PATF.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

First look at the characters. The characters look horrible. They look like they're from a TV series made by second-rate studio overseas. Very cheap-looking and un-Disney. :huh:

Mirabel is the one with the glasses playing the concertina. She looks so bad. :( How is she supposed to stand next to the other Disney princesses?

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPwobcolx1w/
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Been on Hiatus for a while (death of my Grandparents, Father having a stroke & me having Covid last January) but really Disney. Another leak? They're gonna have to release the Trailer ASAP, this should not have been these characters first reveal to the world :facepalm:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

These are toys, though, which often look off-model. Not the least bit fair to criticise the character designs based on these.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

estefan wrote:These are toys, though, which often look off-model. Not the least bit fair to criticise the character designs based on these.
AMEN!

That was my first thought. I still cannot understand the negativity on this forum. When we get final renders and you guys don't like them, then feel free to rip them to shreds. At least then you are basing your opinion on a source that's worth basing one's opinion on!
Sotiris wrote:Mirabel is the one with the glasses playing the concertina. She looks so bad. :( How is she supposed to stand next to the other Disney princesses?
I love the nerdy look! In an age where onscreen diversity is given so much importance - and often executed such that it feels it is there only so that XYZ Studio can pat itself on the back for being so progressive and awesome and to shut up critics - I think this is an original design. A non-glitzy princess who looks a bit dorky - a nice change of pace - and hopefully one that is sincere and not tacked on simply to deflect criticism.

My condolences, DisneyEra. :( I hope things are better now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyEra wrote:Been on Hiatus for a while (death of my Grandparents, Father having a stroke & me having Covid last January) but really Disney. Another leak? They're gonna have to release the Trailer ASAP, this should not have been these characters first reveal to the world :facepalm:
I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope everything is going to be alright :(
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DisneyEra, welcome back. I'm so sorry you've gone through so much. <3 <3
Jules wrote:A non-glitzy princess who looks a bit dorky - a nice change of pace - and hopefully one that is sincere and not tacked on simply to deflect criticism
I agree. Remember "Derpy Anna?" I know that Anna's not part of the Princess franchise yet, but if she were, she'd fit right in. She's not derpy all the time by any means. And if they can make Merida and Rapunzel seamlessly fit in, then I have faith that, if Mirabel truly will be an official Princess, that they'll make her fit in for that merchandise.

I love all of the princesses, but my two most favorite since childhood, Ariel and Jasmine, aren't the ones I relate to the most (although I do in some ways). I know that some people see them as more of a trope, but I relate the most (again, in some ways) to Rapunzel and Anna. So if Mirabel is more unsure of herself (and she's into music, so very cool), and she's relatable, please give us a more dorky princess. Just my 2 cents. I totally understand that everyone is going to have their own vision for what they want a Disney Princess to be, but I very much welcome diversity, both in ethnicity, looks, personality, etc etc etc. It's just huge to relate to characters on screen.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Finally we`ve got something! Yet for once it was a leak of toys.
Sotiris wrote:First look at the characters. The characters look horrible. They look like they're from a TV series made by second-rate studio overseas. Very cheap-looking and un-Disney.
I couldn`t have said it better myself! They look like they are from TV series or even Pixar/DreamWorks-esque like!
estefan wrote:These are toys, though, which often look off-model. Not the least bit fair to criticise the character designs based on these.
Fair enough. You`ve right. Toys happens often to look off-model (which most of the dolls of Rapunzel proved, as few of them were authentic to her actual look).
Jules wrote:I still cannot understand the negativity on this forum. When we get final renders and you guys don't like them, then feel free to rip them to shreds. At least then you are basing your opinion on a source that's worth basing one's opinion on!
I don`t want to be condescending, but that`s how board members usually are. Most people have a tendency to complain, nonetheless. You`ll be hard to find any board where users are purely positive or constantly raving.
DisneyEra wrote:Been on Hiatus for a while (death of my Grandparents, Father having a stroke & me having Covid last January) but really Disney. Another leak? They're gonna have to release the Trailer ASAP, this should not have been these characters first reveal to the world :facepalm:
Oh, I`m so sorry to hear about it, DisneyEra. My condolences. I`ll hope that you`re better now.
Disney's Divinity

Of course merchandise is never completely like the real design. But just compared to the other girls within that set of characters, the protagonist looks so wonky and the only one that gets that kind of reaction from me aside from the grandmother holding the weight. :lol: I'm more forgiving of the grandmother design because it's the one most likely to look different in the real design since she and the mother / aunt? in teal both look more chibi-like than the children do. The girl in the purple dress is probably my favorite--very pretty--while the girl in the yellow dress actually made me think of Belle... Where is the boy that was her love interest that then was changed into her brother? I assume this is supposed to be the whole family, so I'm surprised he's not there? I get the protagonist is supposed to be odd-man-out among the other characters, but whew boy, they went a little too crazy! She looks more like those PIXAR protagonists with the weird cutesy eyes like Dory, the Cars characters, etc.

It's more the clothes than anything. To me, this just confirmed what I already thought when the first description came out, that this sounded like something goofy like Hotel Transylvania. To me, they look much younger than the other princesses--and I thought they were supposed to be younger since the details first came out although Sotiris corrected me, I'm not sure how I first got that impression?--so maybe she won't be included. Just like Vanellope isn't included either. Who knows.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah I'm not gonna judge yet b/c these are probably Hasbro mini figures and most of their mini figures are UGLY. There's cute chibi stylized figures like the Princess Comic mini figures(which are based on the Pocket Princess comics so they already had a good chibi artist designs to base them on) and then there's ugly chibi stylized figures like these and the ones for Frozen 2 and Raya that just make them look like distorted imps.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:I couldn`t have said it better myself! They look like they are from TV series or even Pixar/DreamWorks-esque like!
I know! The Disney house style is the only thing left that makes Disney, Disney. If they get rid of that too, there'll be nothing that sets them apart them from other studios.
Disney's Divinity wrote:But just compared to the other girls within that set of characters, the protagonist looks so wonky and the only one that gets that kind of reaction from me aside from the grandmother holding the weight.
That's not the grandmother. That's the eldest sister, Luisa.
Disney's Divinity wrote:The girl in the purple dress is probably my favorite--very pretty
That's her other sister, Isabela.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Where is the boy that was her love interest that then was changed into her brother? I assume this is supposed to be the whole family, so I'm surprised he's not there?
I'm guessing the Black kid is her brother Antonio. I'm not sure, though.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I get the protagonist is supposed to be odd-man-out among the other characters, but whew boy, they went a little too crazy! She looks more like those PIXAR protagonists with the weird cutesy eyes like Dory, the Cars characters, etc.
They tried too hard to make her look quirky and cutesy to the point she looks like she belongs in an off-brand, generic kids show.
Disney's Divinity wrote:To me, they look much younger than the other princesses--and I thought they were supposed to be younger since the details first came out although Sotiris corrected me, I'm not sure how I first got that impression?--so maybe she won't be included. Just like Vanellope isn't included either. Who knows.
I really hope she's not included. She'll stick out like a sore thumb. :|
Disney's Divinity

That's not the grandmother. That's the eldest sister, Luisa.
Oh, okay. :lol: :lol:
I'm guessing the Black kid is her brother Antonio. I'm not sure, though.
I thought that was a girl.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I know! The Disney house style is the only thing left that makes Disney, Disney. If they get rid of that too, there'll be nothing that sets them apart them from other studios.
Agreed. I truly hope that they won`t get rid of their house style.