Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Encanto

Post by DisneyFan09 »

farerb wrote:I think Frozen has its own strengths, but to me Moana was the only film that took me back to my childhood like no other Revival film did (not even Tangled). And while I might enjoy future WDAS films, I don't think they'll make me feel the same way, mainly because M&C won't ever be involved with them, who I think were the main reasons of why I felt that way with Moana.
That`s fine. To me, Moana didn`t feel like authentical M&C. Mostly because it felt more subdued and restrained than the pictures of M&C usually are (perhaps it could be that it was co-directed by Chris Williams and Don Hall as well). There were moments where Moana reminded me of past M&C, but overall it didn`t feel like classic M&C.
estefan wrote:Can we not gatekeep like this? You can have your own ideas for what you prefer in your Disney movies, but let's not categorize others into "true Disney fans" and "not true Disney fans." The Star Wars fanbase does this, too, by saying those who like the sequel trilogy aren't true Star Wars fans.
If you greatly enjoy something or you're passionate about something (while still occasionally being critical of it at times), you're a fan.
Okay. Sorry. It wasn`t my intention to categorize Disney fans. I was simply trying to summarize my observations of those who worships the classic Disney components at the expense of the snarky components. But I wasn`t trying to generalize or delineate. So I apologize for that.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think you said anything wrong, DisneyFan09. I think you described what most people are--they are discriminating of media and wouldn't simply accept whatever Disney gives them. I don't think having standards is what gatekeeping means.

I agree on Moana. I tend to see the film as what a M&C run through a Lasseter machine would look like. :lol: You probably lose some of the zaniness some people may not like about certain M&C films (TP&TF, TP, Hercules), but you also lose the strong characters and the creativity. Moana, Maui, and Tala are all alright and yet none of them left a big impression on me. They all inspire that generic, inoffensive but boring quality I associate with PIXAR films.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't think you said anything wrong, DisneyFan09. I think you described what most people are--they are discriminating of media and wouldn't simply accept whatever Disney gives them. I don't think having standards is what gatekeeping means.

I agree on Moana. I tend to see the film as what a M&C run through a Lasseter machine would look like. :lol: You probably lose some of the zaniness some people may not like about certain M&C films (TP&TF, TP, Hercules), but you also lose the strong characters and the creativity. Moana, Maui, and Tala are all alright and yet none of them left a big impression on me. They all inspire that generic, inoffensive but boring quality I associate with PIXAR films.
Aaaaaw, thanks for your kind words. And you`ve right, my intention was to describe what those types of Disney fans requires for a Disney movie.

And since you`re mentioning The Princess and the Frog, even that felt more true, authentic M&C (despite having it`s touch of Lasseter). And since you`re mentioning the characters, I`ll take the characters from Frog to Moana anytime. Both Naveen and Facilier had more charisma than any of the characters from Moana (despite that both sidekicks, Louis and Ray, were annoying). Moana herself is a fine heroine, though. She`s plucky and likable enough, despite not being particularly distinctive from her peers. Maui wasn`t particularly memorable and was grating and conceited. Tala was fine enough, but not as memorable as her non-Caucasian grandmother predecessors (Grandmother Willow, Grandmother Fa and even Tanana from Brother Bear, despite not being a grandmother, but still serving the same archetype). Pua was the only character who I truly liked. He was adorable and should`ve had more screentime.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I actually liked Ray, but yeah Louis was annoying. And I forgot about Pua! I love him, too. I guess Heihei is really the only zany aspect to Moana. Well, him and Tamatoa. I think Moana is one of those films, like Hunchback or Tarzan, that I enjoy more when I'm watching it than when I'm simply thinking about it. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I actually liked Ray, but yeah Louis was annoying. And I forgot about Pua! I love him, too. I guess Heihei is really the only zany aspect to Moana. Well, him and Tamatoa.
Word. I could tolerate Hei Hei (even though he was grating), but I couldn`t stand Tamatoa. He was really annoying (even though, paradoxically, he had the best song of the movie). As were the Kakamora`s. But fortunately all of them were just in one each scene.
I think Moana is one of those films, like Hunchback or Tarzan, that I enjoy more when I'm watching it than when I'm simply thinking about it. :P
Good ;) :P I do have my soft spot for Hunchback nonetheless, since I was obsessed with it as a child. Even though my teenage years made me realize it`s (hampering) faults, it still means a lot for me. And I`ve always liked Tarzan, despite that it (funny enough) has some of the same problems of Hunchback (grating sidekicks and tonal inconsistency, even though it`s more jarring in Hunchback`s case). But it`s still a splendid and captivating film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I guess I should clarify that it's the "true fan" designation that set me off. Too often, you see people use the "true fan" descriptor to talk down to others and dismiss their worthiness of being a part of that fandom. Again, very commonplace within the Star Wars fanbase, although it extends to comic book fans, fans of certain video game franchises, etc. For example, "Only true Star Wars fans know the prequels are bad." That sort of thing.

I think if you took fifty Disney animation fans, put them in a room and asked them to rank all of the Disney animated films, you'd get all sorts of different results. My own list would have some of the '90s Renaissance films at the top, while also having Pocahontas near the bottom. I rate Lilo & Stitch very highly, while Atlantis is one of my least favourites. Plenty of the Walt-era films rank among the highest for me with only a few among the bottom 10. Meanwhile, Big Hero 6, Bolt, Tarzan, Sleeping Beauty and The Rescuers fall into the "very good" column for me, but don't quite hit the top 30.

There is such a wide variety of opinions and preferences when it comes to the Disney animated titles. Someone preferring, say, Moana or The Rescuers Down Under or Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad over Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch and Peter Pan (naming some random examples off the top of my head) doesn't mean they're less discriminating towards those titles. They might just have aspects that appeal to them more.

I have very much liked every Disney animated film made since 2008, because they just happen to have aspects that appeal to me. Although Princess and the Frog is the only one that makes my top 10, with Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled and Frozen in the top 20. A lot of the Walt-era and Renaissance Films are difficult to beat in my book, though.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, okay. Either way, I`m sorry if my "true fan"-comment offended you.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

estefan, I don't think DisneyFan09 meant ill, though I'd probably have used different words.

I agree with what you said since Disney is such a huge company, it's expected that different people will have different interests, just like how DisneyFan97 said he enjoyed the DTV sequels. It's all okay and valid.

With that being said, I think this is also my issue with the fandom in general, meaning that it's really hard for me to find a place or a group with people that share the same interests that I do. Maybe I wouldn't feel that need if I had IRL friends who were into Disney as much as I was.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

farerb wrote:estefan, I don't think DisneyFan09 meant ill, though I'd probably have used different words.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some Latin American sites are speculating Shakira could be involved in the movie in some way because of this tweet by director Jared Bush:

Source: https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... 4433874945
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's possible they'll offer her a supporting role or more likely have her sing the pop version of one of the songs for the end credits.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Yes, I also think an end credits song like in Zootopia is the most likely option.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

looking at that pic of Gazelle, Im surprised they were totally ok with that outfit. Imagine if she were human! No way Disney would allow a female human character to wear that in a Disney film today! :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Does this mean the next D23 Magazine issue will give us a first look at the film?
Also included in the Spring issue of Disney twenty-three:

• From the Desk of… Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning director Byron Howard (this fall’s Encanto)
Source: https://d23.com/disney-twenty-three-ray ... st-dragon/
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hope their will be Grandfather and Grandmother characters !

Seems like since one article mentioned there interactions.

I always want more voice roles for older actors and actress , That's partly why i love the trend if of cool Grandma characters that Disney had in the 90s and reviewed with Moiana.

My ideal Disney novice will always have an elderly mentor character for that reason preferably female.

She more of my ideal Disney movie in this theard

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33572&hilit=ideal%27
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D82 wrote:Does this mean the next D23 Magazine issue will give us a first look at the film?
Also included in the Spring issue of Disney twenty-three:

• From the Desk of… Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning director Byron Howard (this fall’s Encanto)
Source: https://d23.com/disney-twenty-three-ray ... st-dragon/
I don`t think so. It says "From the Desk of Byron Howard", but it just mentions Encanto as the movie that he`s directing. Not anything about the movie itself. But I could be wrong, though.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^You're probably right. But maybe he mentions Encanto in the article and shares some details about it.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I hope he will.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Since voice acting is my big special interest, My favorite kind of animation news will always be the announcement of a voice cast for an upcoming animated movie !!

So i hope we get one for this movie soon ! :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I have learned that there will be eight original songs in the movie. I have also learned that Mirabel will have two older sisters. Based on the character descriptions, I assume those are Ines/Dolores and Lydia.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage