Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Untitled Byron Howard/Lin Manuel-Miranda Movie

Post by Sotiris »

The fact that they're already calling her "a Latina princess" is an indication to me she definitely won't be pre-Columbian. If you recall, Moana was not called a princess anywhere in the press or interviews until she was to join the Disney Princess line-up. In fact, the filmmakers and the film itself went to great lengths to highlight that her being the daughter of a chief doesn't make her a princess.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

It's fun to see how fast rumors are spreading the internet while no official statement was made!! Haha!!
It is ONLY a rumor based on Lin Manuel Miranda's...dad!! Come on guys!!
We already have Elena of Avalor as a beloved "Latina Princess".
If any of this would be true anyway, and if Byron and Lin are working together as Lin seemed to indicate, Byron will be as careful and respectful as he was in Zootopia, believe me.
So well, again, this rumor IS NOT CONFIRMED and I think it shouldn't be relayed in this topic. ;)
Also, don't forget that John Lasseter is gone now, and Disney Animation is very sensitive to cultural and sensitive issues.
Please stay careful with any unconfirmed rumor you can read on social networks and wait for official statements by Disney Animation before .... assuming they are making stupid or insensitive choices with movies we have NO information on.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Prince Kido wrote:It's fun to see how fast rumors are spreading the internet while no official statement was made!! Haha!!
It is ONLY a rumor based on Lin Manuel Miranda's...dad!! Come on guys!!
We already have Elena of Avalor as a beloved "Latina Princess".
If any of this would be true anyway, and if Byron and Lin are working together as Lin seemed to indicate, Byron will be as careful and respectful as he was in Zootopia, believe me.
So well, again, this rumor IS NOT CONFIRMED and I think it shouldn't be relayed in this topic. ;)
Also, don't forget that John Lasseter is gone now, and Disney Animation is very sensitive to cultural and sensitive issues.
Please stay careful with any unconfirmed rumor you can read on social networks and wait for official statements by Disney Animation before .... assuming they are making stupid or insensitive choices with movies we have NO information on.
You are a breath of fresh air. Can I marry you? :)
veu
Limited Issue

Post by veu »

I don't think Howard will do a Moana sequel.
I appreciate the idea of Latina Princess but I don't think Disney will do a Moana sequel. Moana hasn't too successful to do a sequel in theatre, a TV movie/TV show/ direct to video probably could be a good way to so a sequel for Moana. I don't think a new cinematographic feature about Moana is in the work.
In general I love movies set in old fashioned Europe, because it's too more magical and timeless (my dream is to see a Disney version of Andersen's "Wild Swans" or others classic tales like "Swan Lake" etc.).
It will be interesting to see a movie with a Latina Princess as main character, but a true princess with her love story with a prince charming/hero, a great villain, etc.
It will be interesting to see another Princess by marriage and not only by birth (not all people is a princess/prince by birth), a Princess who will win his people and his true love by her kindest heart, her qualities, her attitude (and also her beauty, a Latina Princess must to be sexy because Latina people are generally hot people).
I hope Disney will change the formula about "the strange couple in a road movie", today we are at the beginning of a new decade and they should change formula. I hope to see the return of great love stories, today there's a lack of love stories with human characters.

I must to agree with Prince Kido, wait and see... but I add: I love to dream and I hope I could dream in the future with great movies with great stories (and great love stories which are my favourites).
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't care about any of this. I'm not crazy about Howard and I don't like Miranda, so I'm neither here nor there about whatever this turns into in the long run. If Howard was going to work on something, I'd rather it was Zootopia 2 since I know there's at least a few things to look forward to about a sequel to that film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oh this is interesting... while I enjoyed Elena of Avalor(what Ive seen of it, as RL has just not allowed me to watch as much tv/film as I would like) I would like something that's aims a little more to one specific Latin/Hispanic culture. But I know Disney just doesn't work that way anymore, much easier for them to keep things generic so they can wave off inaccuracies as "oh its just a fantasy version of*insert county here.*"

Personally as someone whose family emigrated from Cuba, Id like to see something that skews closer to the Latin Caribbean islands like Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico, than the usually Mexican/South American aesthetic that's more commonly used in the media. Though I dont know how they will work the princess angle into it without it feeling contrived like it did with Princess and the Frog(unless they set it in Spain).

Actually I dont know why they cant just dump the princess thing and just make a story about a female character, but have her join the Princess franchise anyway. I mean Mulan isn't a princess anyway...

even better, start a new line with non-princess ccharacters and add Esmeralda, Meg, Jane, Alice & Wendy(or Tink since her franchise seems to have gone bust.)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

veu wrote: I appreciate the idea of Latina Princess but I don't think Disney will do a Moana sequel. Moana hasn't too successful to do a sequel in theatre, a TV movie/TV show/ direct to video probably could be a good way to so a sequel for Moana. I don't think a new cinematographic feature about Moana is in the work.
In general I love movies set in old fashioned Europe, because it's too more magical and timeless (my dream is to see a Disney version of Andersen's "Wild Swans" or others classic tales like "Swan Lake" etc.).
It will be interesting to see a movie with a Latina Princess as main character, but a true princess with her love story with a prince charming/hero, a great villain, etc.
It will be interesting to see another Princess by marriage and not only by birth (not all people is a princess/prince by birth), a Princess who will win his people and his true love by her kindest heart, her qualities, her attitude (and also her beauty, a Latina Princess must to be sexy because Latina people are generally hot people).
Yeah, I doubt Moana will get a sequel either since the film wasn't a huge hit nor did the merchandise sell very well. There's a reason it seems Moana is being shoehorned into the DP franchise since she can't handle a franchise of her own.

I miss the old fairy tales as well. Swan Lake is my dream Disney film but I'd love to see The Wild Swans as well. I just wouldn't want Disney to bother trying to put a twist on these films or revamp them as heavily as Tangled and Frozen turned out to be, and of course, I'm not interested in pure CGI films either. That classical quality is lost.

I very much agree with you about having a princess who gets her title by marriage. That would suit stories like The Princess and the Pea or Rumpelstiltskin, both of which I'd love to see adapted. Cinderella and Belle are such timeless characters so it would be nice to see more heroines in the vein of them.

I don't necessarily agree though that a Latina princess must be sexy. That goes way too far into a stereotypical image for my taste, and characters like Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Esmeralda have been criticized for that already.
unprincess wrote: Actually I dont know why they cant just dump the princess thing and just make a story about a female character, but have her join the Princess franchise anyway. I mean Mulan isn't a princess anyway...
Agreed. I'm tired of the princess title being shoe-horned into stories that don't even need it. I remember way back that Disney had a film planned for a little girl in Africa and I'd like to see something similar with an "ordinary" female character who is extraordinary at her core. No crown or royal gown necessary. Something set in a rain forest setting would make for some gorgeous visuals.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

WDAS' next film will be released on November 24, 2021.
We have learned that Byron Howard and Jared Bush are set to direct Walt Disney Animation’s next film. Sources say that the film will center on a Latino family, which is a huge step for Walt Disney Animation Studios. Clark Spencer (‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’) and Yvett Merino Flores (‘Moana’) will produce the film. As well as directing the film alongside Byron Howard, Jared Bush will co-write the screenplay with Charise Castro Smith.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2020/01/29/b ... exclusive/
Jennifer Lee wrote:Beyond thrilled to have Lin-Manuel Miranda team with directors Byron Howard and Jared Bush and co-director Charise Castro Smith on a new film! So much more to come!
Source: https://twitter.com/alittlejelee/status ... 3396144128
Disney's Divinity

Re: Untitled Byron Howard & Jared Bush Film

We'll have to wait and see with them. I'm split on almost all the talent. Howard was involved with Zootopia, but also Tangled. One producer was involved with Moana, but the other was involved with Ralph Breaks the Internet. So who knows where this one will land.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:WDAS' next film will be released on November 24, 2021.
We have learned that Byron Howard and Jared Bush are set to direct Walt Disney Animation’s next film. Sources say that the film will center on a Latino family, which is a huge step for Walt Disney Animation Studios. Clark Spencer (‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’) and Yvett Merino Flores (‘Moana’) will produce the film. As well as directing the film alongside Byron Howard, Jared Bush will co-write the screenplay with Charise Castro Smith.
Was that the leaked Latina Princess film?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yes. Of course, we don't know yet whether the female lead in the film will actually be royalty. It could be another Mulan situation.
Disney's Divinity

Oh, it was? For some reason the description made it sound like something in the modern world, like a family-based sitcom. I'd like if this did have a genuine prince and princess again.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

With no D23 this year, it will be interesting to see when Disney Animation will make an official announcement. If they wait to long, someone will leak it :x
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, at least it's nice that we've gotten an offical announcement, though of course it would've been better if there was more information about it revealed. Not even a title has been revealed. But if this is going to be another Princess movie, let's not forget how The Princess and the Frog and Elena of Avalor has assured that even non-monarchial nations can have their own Princesses. And what's up with the recurring fall slot? Why not actually giving an WDAS feature a summer release for once, since WDAS has now restored it's reputation and we haven't had a summer release for almost 20 years since Lilo & Stitch?

If it's actually going to be another Princess movie, then I'll say that I don't mind that Disney are still making them. After all, it's the company's bread and butter and what they mostly stand for. Their legacy is built on great movies around Princesses. Yet I wouldn't mind if they actually made a great Princess movie again, since we haven't had it for a long time.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, at least it's nice that we've gotten an offical announcement, though of course it would've been better if there was more information about it revealed.
This is not an official announcement. It's a report from an entertainment website.
DisneyFan09 wrote:Why not actually giving an WDAS feature a summer release for once, since WDAS has now restored it's reputation and we haven't had a summer release for almost 20 years since Lilo & Stitch?
Because Pixar movies are occupying those. Disney is not willing to give a prime summer slot to a WDAS film over a Pixar one.
DisneyFan09 wrote:If it's actually going to be another Princess movie, then I'll say that I don't mind that Disney are still making them. After all, it's the company's bread and butter and what they mostly stand for. Their legacy is built on great movies around Princesses. Yet I wouldn't mind if they actually made a great Princess movie again, since we haven't had it for a long time.
Agreed. I don't get why some people have a problem with Disney making princess movies. The most iconic and profitable Disney movies have been princess ones. From Snow White and Cinderella to The Little Mermaid and Frozen. Bring on the princesses, I say! :D
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyEra wrote:
Sotiris wrote:WDAS' next film will be released on November 24, 2021.
Was that the leaked Latina Princess film?
YES! I actually know some story stuff from a personal source. All I am allowed to say is that not only does it sound cool, but it is in fact Lin’s next Disney musical.

And if it’s a Disney Princess type movie that I’m hearing it is to be, Rachel from the new WSS movie seriously needs to be her.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's probably going to be the same as the other revival films (except Frozen of course), probably as bad as Moana cause LMM is involved, worse cause no Musker and Clements (if you can even say Moana was really theirs). At least I hope Byron Howard and Jared Bush aren't miserable making this as M&C were making Moana.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:It's probably going to be the same as the other revival films (except Frozen of course), probably as bad as Moana cause LMM is involved.
But I thought you loved Moana. :?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I think Byron Howard is a good director. I'd be looking forward to whatever he chose to make, but I think it's great that there'll be another Disney feature set in South America. I really like The Emperor's New Groove, but it would be nice to get one with a more serious tone as well. Li-Manuel Miranda is not my favorite Disney composer, but in my opinion he did a decent job in Moana, so I'm OK with him having another Disney movie to work on.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:
farerb wrote:It's probably going to be the same as the other revival films (except Frozen of course), probably as bad as Moana cause LMM is involved.
But I thought you loved Moana. :?
I am convinced that it is not a good film now and thus I don't love it anymore.