Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh ok cool but were they taken out of the theatrical run or just home video?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Atlantica wrote:I just can't think how they are going to plus - up the songs and score here. I suppose the Prince will get a song. Maybe a villain song for the Queen ?
I would love a villain song for the Queen! As for the Prince, I don't think he needs another one. He already has "One Song". They should just extend that one.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh ok cool but were they taken out of the theatrical run or just home video?
The censored version is the one that's widely available. The film was censored when Fox acquired the rights and released it on DVD in 2006.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Angelina Jolie playing the Queen would be amazing, and I would be very here for it. Though I guess she's done Maleficent, so maybe that counts her out.

How about someone younger, as a different take on it ? It could change the dynamic; the King marries a younger girl, in the hopes of having more children as siblings for Snow. Then the jealousy takes on a different tone; not of potential fading beauty but jealousy of her husbands love for his daughter. Sort of like the film Leave Her To Heaven. That sort of wild, almost insane jealousy.

So if I was casting someone younger... Florence Pugh popped into my head. Great voice, great clothes horse, and fantastic actress from what I've seen her in.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'd love Jolie as the Queen. Someone like her or Nicole Kidman would be great. But there are probably a lot of actresses who would do great things with the Queen.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I've always pictured Sela Ward as the queen but I guess she's not famous enough.
Disney's Divinity

I've seen her before although I don't know where. Salma Hayek's another name that came to mind for me.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'd rather the film had an all-Latino cast instead of the tokenistic, genetically implausible mess Disney opts for nowadays.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Redadoodles wrote:The censored version is the one that's widely available. The film was censored when Fox acquired the rights and released it on DVD in 2006.
Oh, ok thank you. That video is cool!
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:I'd rather the film had an all-Latino cast instead of the tokenistic, genetically implausible mess Disney opts for nowadays.
I agree, although the Queen is an exception since she marries into the family. But if Snow White's father is Asian or something... :lol: :facepalm:
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Two questions

1- Wasn't Olivia Colman attached to play the Queen at one point?
2- Would it be possible for the Dwarfs to be CGI?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:But if Snow White's father is Asian or something... :lol: :facepalm:
With Disney, you can never rule that out. :P The more I think about it, the more convinced I am Snow White's Prince will be Black. If you noticed, most of the race-switched characters in Disney remakes have been Black. Blumette and Madame de Garderobe in Beauty and the Beast, Darling and Aunt Sarah in Lady and the Tramp, Anita and Jasper in Cruella, The Blue Fairy in Pinocchio, Tinker Bell in Peter Pan & Wendy, Drosselmeyer and Philip in The Nurcracker and the Four Realms, and, of course, Ariel in The Little Mermaid. Coupled with the fact that Disney didn't consider other actresses of color for the role of Ariel, makes me believe Disney values the Black community more than other racial/ethnic ones. That's probably because it's the most powerful and influential one in Hollywood despite the fact Latinos comprise the largest minority group in terms of population and movie-going audience in the U.S.
Avaitor wrote:Wasn't Olivia Colman attached to play the Queen at one point?
She was never confirmed to be attached. That was just a rumor by TheDisInsider.
Avaitor wrote:Would it be possible for the Dwarfs to be CGI?
Not unless they want to be eaten alive by an angry mob on social media.
Disney's Divinity

Yes, I definitely see the Prince being Black. Snow White was the only character that should've been White since it's a part of the conceit of the character and her name, imo. Her father could've been Latino or whatever and it would still make sense for her to be White herself if you were left to assume her mother had been White. If they even racebent that character, then of course the rest of the characters will be racebent without a doubt.

I'm glad Olivia Colman was just a rumor. I never thought she fit the role.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, if you would have the King Latino and the Queen White, that would make Snow White half-white which she actually is with Rachel's casting.

I agree, Olivia Colman doesn't look beautiful enough for the role.
Disney's Divinity

True! :lol: I was more thinking of it from a casting standpoint, that the story could handwave that she looked more like her mother if they cast a White girl for SW and a Latino man for her father. But the actor would look snow white.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah yes, Rachel still doesn't have very pale skin.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Sotiris wrote:I'd rather the film had an all-Latino cast instead of the tokenistic, genetically implausible mess Disney opts for nowadays.
Penelope Cruz would do a good job too in my opinion.

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

According to The DisInsider (so take this with a grain of salt), Lady Gaga is in talk for the role of the Evil Queen.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR3_vyho50r/
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I'm not sure I'm buying into it as the media released her name announcing her as Ursula back in 2018. However, I could have seen her as Cruella to be honest. :D
Disney's Divinity

I actually believe it could be true that they were thinking of her for Ursula. She would've been like how Ursula was in the Broadway show and we see how much the live-action film seems to be imitating the Broadway show, and Gaga probably would like to be in one of these musical films. They probably decided to not to change Ursula so much because changing a White character to Black will be fine with the SJW crowd, they can (and did) use the media outlets in their pocket to tag team any critics as supposedly being anti-diversity if they complain, but they can't do that with a plus size older female character. Changing her into a skinny young thing would be offensive to feminists; they can fingerwag anyone who complains about the former as racist, but they would be criticized as misogynist for the latter. And it would be wrong to change an older plus-size female character into a PYT--it's just too bad there's no consistency with outrage over wanting the characters to look right. It's only about on which side of an -ist the company thinks they might fall in the media, not about a care for the original film.

If they pick her for the Queen, she'd be so bad. She's not a great actress, I'm sorry, I don't hate the woman. But at least she wouldn't be playing a character she looks nothing like here as in Ursula's case.