Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

I think Lady Gaga is a great actress, and there's evidence of that by her winning a Golden Globe for acting and getting nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Lady Gaga as the Evil Queen?! :lol: :lol: :lol: Worst choice ever, in my opinion. She's an okay actress, not great (tbh I wasn't impressed with her in A Star is Born). She's definitely not pretty enough to be the Queen. My ideal casting choice would be Rachel Weisz.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Hmm. Maybe the Lady Gaga rumor has merit after all. I'm in the camp that doesn't believe she's suitable for the role. Not only do I think she's an subpar actress, but she doesn't have the looks needed either. The Evil Queen is supposed to be cold but conventionally attractive which, if we're being honest, Gaga is not.
Justin Kroll wrote:One last thing on the Disney-Talent stuff. Their next non-Marvel thing gearing up is Snow White and I can almost guarantee, they are going movie star for the Evil Queen role. That actress and her reps are going to have a ton of impact on what happens with that film. Between their upfront money, back end and how film is released, there is no way these things don’t get impacted in those negotiations if Disney wants that star in that role, which I still believe they need it with how popular the IP is.
Source: https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/14 ... 4165314562
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't know... Maybe it's because I never thought the Queen looked as pretty as she should have in the original film, but I think Gaga's face wouldn't look that off in a similar outfit to the Queen, one where you never see her hair or neck. She has dark eyebrows and often wears heavy eyeshadow.

It’s really just I don’t think she could pull off a great villainess performance. But she’d have a better shot with an often stoic and vampy character like the Queen than a role that requires a wider range spanning comedy and drama like Ursula. The Queen is more in vein with the Countess on AHS: Hotel, and Gaga could similarly get away with standing still in poses like she did in that series.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The Queen in the original was dramatic. They will probably also expand her role to be more dramatic. They will also probably not give her the same outfit as the original.

I also think the Prince will kiss Snow White's hand instead of her lips.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Duster, you mean when they first meet, or when he has to break the spell?

And I hope they will not expand the movie, by adding more female empowerment moments, which, in my opinion, are useless.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sicoe Vlad wrote: And I hope they will not expand the movie, by adding more female empowerment moments, which, in my opinion, are useless.
Of course they will because staying kind and soft in the face of overwhelming cruelty and not letting others rob you of yourself or your self worth is not strong or brave enough, even though thats the easiest thing to do.
Disney's Divinity

There's a difference between strong in a moral sense and active. Active is more related to story dynamics. There's practically nothing about the plot that happens because of anything that SW does. The Queen hates her, the Prince loves her, and the Dwarfs allow her to stay with them all because of something she was born with (her looks). I can't really imagine the story being the same without story additions of some kind; I imagine some of them will give more definition to Snow White, but probably the Prince as well. They certainly can't have 30-40 minutes of the Dwarfs washing their hands or whatever. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:I also think the Prince will kiss Snow White's hand instead of her lips.
Breaking the spell with true love's kiss is too iconic to pass up. And since this is not a re-imagining like Maleficent, I don't think they will mess with that element. But I do expect that Snow White and the Prince's relationship will be well-established and expanded upon to justify the unconscious kiss at the end.
Sicoe Vlad wrote:And I hope they will not expand the movie, by adding more female empowerment moments, which, in my opinion, are useless.
If they did that with far more pro-active characters like Belle and Jasmine, they'll definitely do it for Snow White. It's just not realistic to expect they'll keep her as naive and innocent as in the original throughout the film. Maybe she'll start that way, but at some point she will get her empowerment moment.
Disney's Divinity wrote:The Dwarfs allow her to stay with them all because of something she was born with (her looks).
The dwarfs allowed her to stay in exchange for cleaning and cooking for them. Just because she was pretty, doesn't mean her skills, her savvy, and her work ethic didn't matter.
Disney's Divinity wrote:They certainly can't have 30-40 minutes of the Dwarfs washing their hands or whatever.
I suppose that's one benefit from adapting some of the Walt era films. They are usually episodic in nature which leaves room to expand on the story and create a more tight-knit narrative. Whether that's well-executed or not, is another matter altogether.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I don't expect the ending kiss to go anywhere. I believe Phillip kissed sleeping Aurora in Maleficent even though the trope ended up being subverted.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm. Well I hope they keep the spell-breaking kiss on her lips. You may be right, Sotiris.

And yup, Snow White did impact the story. She asked the animals where she could stay, and then thought of cooking and cleaning as her way of getting to stay there.

And yes, one advantage of doing a Walt movie is you get to expand and make a tighter story. And also Snow White will probably start out innocent and naive but get her empowerment moment. You are so right about that stuff, Sotiris and Divinity!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Ugh, I was thinking the exact same thing, to be honest. Oh, well, even if they do change her character, there's still the beloved animated character, and she's not going anywhere. :)

I do hope they will do the same thing as in Beauty and the Beast, and keep the final choral reprise of "Some Day My Prince Will Come". That's the most beautiful finale in a Disney movie, in my opinion, with Pocahontas coming in as second.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I do hope they will do the same thing as in Beauty and the Beast, and keep the final choral reprise of "Some Day My Prince Will Come".
Me too. It's so beautiful and satisfying. It ties the whole story together in a perfect way.
Sicoe Vlad wrote:That's the most beautiful finale in a Disney movie, in my opinion, with Pocahontas coming in as second.
Here are my favorite ending scenes.

01. The Little Mermaid
02. Snow White
03. Beauty and the Beast
04. Sleeping Beauty
05. Pocahontas (it's the only Disney ending that makes me emotional :cry: )
06. Hunchback (the "don't you ever migrate" joke was out of place, but thankfully it didn't do too much damage to the ending)
07. Aladdin (the "made you look" bit kinda ruins it. They should have ended it in a traditional way and the reprise should have been longer)
08. Cinderella (I'd have placed it higher had the arrangement of the reprise was richer and if Prince Charming wasn't sitting like a stiff in the carriage while Cinderella waved)
09. Tarzan
10. The Lion King (even though the movie is not amongst my favorites, the ending is nicely done)
Disney's Divinity

I do like Snow White's ending. Going back to the storybook, then showing all the Dwarfs around her coffin. It always makes me tear up.

I thought about my favorite endings, too. As I was thinking about the different films, I ended up with 15 exactly, so decided just to keep it that way (EDIT: I just realized I forgot Cinderella and had to bump Pinocchio off. :lol: ):

1. The Little Mermaid
2. The Lion King
3. The Princess and the Frog
4. The Fox and the Hound
5. Cinderella
6. Dumbo
7. Raya and the Last Dragon
8. Meet the Robinsons
9. Hercules
10. Beauty and the Beast
11. Pocahontas
12. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
13. Bambi ~ The full come-circle moment of it.
14. The Sword in the Stone
15. Alice in Wonderland

It's funny, that I often like the endings for films I generally don't care about or rank much lower down the scale. I guess because endings are oftentimes the strongest scene in a film.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The Disney ending that hit my insides the most is Bambi's. It was like life hitting me. Of course Cinderella's hits me too, but not like that one. I think Bambi has the best ending, then Pinocchio's ("And I'm a real boy!" Is so powerful), then Snow White's, then Beauty and the Beast's, then The Little Mermaid's, then Cinderella's, then The Hunchback of Notre Dame's. I'd have to re-watch a lot of others to remember how good they are. Maybe The Lion King and Peter Pan's come next. I don't know about Pocahontas. It's been so long. Oh, but definitely Dumbo's is up there.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’ to Film Next March
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/09/01/sn ... ext-march/

Disney’s Snow White to film in the UK
https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/the- ... in-the-uk-
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Sotiris wrote:‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’ to Film Next March
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/09/01/sn ... ext-march/

Disney’s Snow White to film in the UK
https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/the- ... in-the-uk-
This makes sense. Zegler was on IG live last weekend and said she would be in London in March. I never believed the Vancouver filming location. Disney usually films their live action remakes in the UK.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Marc Platt wrote:Steven Levenson's written a number of screenplays for me outside of Dear Evan Hansen, and Pasek and Paul have developed some great musical projects with me outside of Dear Evan Hansen — we’re about to go shoot Snow White, live action, with their new score.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235005684/
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Posting the West Side Story official trailer to spotlight Rachel’s singing and screen presense. She looks and sounds great!

https://youtu.be/A5GJLwWiYSg
Disney's Divinity

She seems fine, by far not the weakest part of WSS going by the trailer at least, but I still think Olivia Rodrigo would've been better if they were going to racebend the character.