Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 pm 
Collector's Edition

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/02/14/ex ... at-disney/

Quote:
With Disney’s live-action reimaginings dominating the box office and Disney+, it comes as no surprise that we are hearing the studio is developing a live-action Rapunzel movie.

No word on if the film has any relation to any of the Tangled franchises such as the 2010 film, the Tangled Ever After Short (2012), The Disney Channel original Tangled Before Ever After (2017), and Tangled The Series (2017-).

Ashleigh Powell (The Nutcracker and the Four Realms) Is writing the script, and the movie will be produced by Michael De Luca (Moneyball, Captain Phillips) of Michael de Luca Productions and Kristin Burr (Christopher Robin) of Burr! Productions, who is also producing Cruella. Studio execs are Zoe Kent who is working on the live-action Lilo and Stitch for Disney+ and Jessica Virtue (Mulan 2020). Lucy Kitada (Eleanor & Park) will oversee the production. A search for the film’s director is currently underway.

The studio is currently searching for a director to tackle the film that we hear is being made for a theatrical release, and not a Disney+ exclusive like Lady and the Tramp. If the project is related to the beloved Disney franchise, hopefully, we also receive a Eugene Fitzherbert aka Flynn Rider, and the villainous Mother Gothel.

Anyone else hope to see them hire Glen Keane to direct this? Though the Nutcracker scribe writing makes me weary. Hoping this is an adaptation of the fairytale and not Tangled. The big question though is why? And why now?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 pm 
Platinum Edition

Oh God, I will not be watching this unless Glean Keane really is directing and that's never gonna happen. No respect for them keeping the Rapunzel name now.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sooooo....now revivals. Guess Frozen is next.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:47 am 
Platinum Edition

I doubt this will be called Rapunzel and directed by Glen Keane, but God I hope for both. I also hope to God they get a new scribe instead of the one who wrote the awful Nutcracker and the Four Realms.

Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58 am 
Collector's Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
I doubt this will be called Rapunzel and directed by Glen Keane, but God I hope for both. I also hole to God they get a new scribe instead of the one who wrote the awful Nutcracker and the Four Realms.

I have a feeling if this were going to be a Tangled remake, that would’ve been something they heard specifically when this leaked. I bet you the only reason they’re doing this is to make something different from Tangled. Which makes me wonder if we won’t see a Snow Queen movie and not a live action Frozen eventually.

I don’t see Glen coming aboard or even being considered. But I do wonder if this screenwriter isn’t the one who wrote the original script of Nutcracker before all the production woes took place during filming.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:54 am 
Platinum Edition

The whole point of these remakes is to capitalize on the popularity of the animated films through brand recognition so I highly doubt they'll end up calling it "Rapunzel".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:56 am 
Platinum Edition

You guys both bring up good points. Why is it not called Tangled already and maybe the original Nutcracker writer wrote a good script before others turned it bad, but these remakes are all about the love of the originals. So...I dunno what will happen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I never judge a screenwriter's abilities based on their credits for studio movies. There are so many hands involved, with directors, producers, executives, actors and even editors having input on what the finished film will look like. The Writer's Guild arbitration process is also a strange beast as they will sometimes give credit, even if only a small portion of a writer's work was used. Or they will not give credit, even if a writer contributed a significant amount. One of the most infamous latter examples is "Speed." Graham Yost, who got sole writing credit and could have basked in the glory of that movie's success, said that Joss Whedon wrote a large amount of dialogue and deserved the credit the WGA somehow neglected him.

One story I always remember is Kelly Marcel's experiences on "Fifty Shades of Grey." She said she hated working on the movie, because the author of the book (who Universal gave a surprising amount of creative control) refused to let Marcel change the book's dialogue and constantly hounded her about every alteration she tried to make to the source material. Marcel was so distraught, she didn't even watch the finished movie. Unless you're someone hugely respected like an Aaron Sorkin or a writer-director, screenwriters aren't given that much respect in the studio system and can be fired on a moment's notice.

And it's worth remembering that screenwriters are often hired based on the quality of their unproduced scripts or "specs" in industry speak.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 pm 
Platinum Edition

I feel confident this will be called Rapunzel, not Tangled, personally.

disneyprincess11 wrote:
A revival is a continuation of an old series / property, picking up where the story ended. This isn’t going to be a continuation of Tangled’s story, so it’s still a re-make. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

But, yeah, I definitely expect Frozen to get a re-make, hopefully with "The Snow Queen" as its title, not long after they cap off the animated franchise as a trilogy.

The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:21 pm 
Limited Edition

estefan wrote:
I never judge a screenwriter's abilities based on their credits for studio movies. There are so many hands involved, with directors, producers, executives, actors and even editors having input on what the finished film will look like. The Writer's Guild arbitration process is also a strange beast as they will sometimes give credit, even if only a small portion of a writer's work was used. Or they will not give credit, even if a writer contributed a significant amount. One of the most infamous latter examples is "Speed." Graham Yost, who got sole writing credit and could have basked in the glory of that movie's success, said that Joss Whedon wrote a large amount of dialogue and deserved the credit the WGA somehow neglected him.

One story I always remember is Kelly Marcel's experiences on "Fifty Shades of Grey." She said she hated working on the movie, because the author of the book (who Universal gave a surprising amount of creative control) refused to let Marcel change the book's dialogue and constantly hounded her about every alteration she tried to make to the source material. Marcel was so distraught, she didn't even watch the finished movie. Unless you're someone hugely respected like an Aaron Sorkin or a writer-director, screenwriters aren't given that much respect in the studio system and can be fired on a moment's notice.

And it's worth remembering that screenwriters are often hired based on the quality of their unproduced scripts or "specs" in industry speak.

Maybe that's the reason why Woolverton "wrote" crap like Alice and Maleficent after B&TB and TLK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:20 am 
Platinum Edition

farerb wrote:
estefan wrote:

Maybe that's the reason why Woolverton "wrote" crap like Alice and Maleficent after B&TB and TLK.

To this day I haven't been able to reconcile the fact that the woman behind Beauty and the Beast and specifically Belle's character gave us something as mediocre as Tim Burton's Alice and a dumpster fire like Maleficent.

All I know is that I better see a live-action Anastasia to karmically balance this film (and the live-action Bambi) out.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:29 am 
Collector's Edition

I think Woolverton’s Alice script actually isn’t bad. I truly blame that movies failure on direction and casting and the production design. It’s a terribly unfun, bland, gloomy, and ugly film. And I’d like to believe the original script for the Nutcracker was probably great and just too adult from everything I’ve read. We shall see, but I really hope whatever this ends up being, it’s more magical and classic than what Tangled ended up being. In my opinion, that film has moments of brilliance but is overshadowed by directors attempting to hide the fact it’s a musical and cater to little boys instead of just making a true romantic classic in the vein of the 90’s films.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

They would never do it the way I would have them do it, which is to have glen direct, and Mandy moore and Zachary Levi reprise their roles. I don't even care if they're too old, they're still basically their characters irl and that's all I care about.

But no, they'll go a completely different route, so meh. Lets get back to original stories, or at least ones they have not adapted yet. There's gotta be some out there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Did they confirm or deny that it’s a remake of Tangled? Because who’s to say it won’t be an adaptation that sticks to the original story’s roots?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:25 pm 
Limited Edition

well I guess they've run out of films from the previous eras that can be successful as theatrical LA's right? Everything else either's been done, will be released soon or currently in production? Are there any plans for some version of Robin Hood? I feel that's the only one left since it has name recognition apart from their own version. Pocahontas and Tarzan are probably out b/c of PC and legal reasons and the rest will probably just be cheap Disney + productions.
as for Tangled/Rapunzel, I still feel its too soon. :|

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I would love if Glen Keane directed it. But considering that he's now retired from Disney, I doubt that he'll do it. And weren't Disney supposed to wait before remaking their newer classics?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:14 pm 
Collector's Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
I would love if Glen Keane directed it. But considering that he's now retired from Disney, I doubt that he'll do it. And weren't Disney supposed to wait before remaking their newer classics?

That’s why I’m fairly certain this ISNT a Tangled remake but a different adaptation of the original fairy tale. I don’t think they would ever remake these newer movies so quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:31 pm 
Platinum Edition

Well, Mulan is a re-make and yet, aside from imitating some of the original's more clever marketing and posters, it doesn't look to be anything like Mulan (the animated film or the original legend either for that matter). This doesn't have to be much of anything like Tangled to still be called a re-make. Tangled is a decade old. And not an ongoing film franchise like with Frozen. This probably wouldn't be out until 2022-3.

A shame they would never consider a re-make of TP&TF outside of Disney+. :/

The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:30 pm 
Limited Edition

oh I forgot about PATF. I wonder if Disney will ever do a LA version of that. Maybe stick closer to the original story this time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:54 am 
Platinum Edition

Estefan and nomad2010, maybe you are right, and people can be really good screenwriters and others mess it up severely. I just thought if a screenwriter was really good, their good ideas were too good for others to want to change. I guess not everyone can tell what's good and so sometimes their good ideas are changed into something bad. I liked Alice in Wonderland by the way. I liked it a little. I also liked some of Through the Looking Glass except for the awful ant-farm like stuff. But I liked the costumes and production designs of those films. I also liked both Maleficent films a little. But I vastly prefer the remakes that are closer to the original film's stories.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I feel confident this will be called Rapunzel, not Tangled, personally.

disneyprincess11 wrote:
A revival is a continuation of an old series / property, picking up where the story ended. This isn’t going to be a continuation of Tangled’s story, so it’s still a re-make. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

When disneyprincess11 said revivals, she meant films from Disney's Revival Era. Right, disneyprincess11? Can someone quote me so Divinity see's that?