DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sister Act on Broadway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:21 am 
Platinum Edition

I LOVE waking up to wonderful news! Playbill reports this morning that Sister Act is going to become a stage musical in fall 2006. Alan Menken is writing the music too! (Hopefully they keep the songs that are already in it). Very exciting news! :D I'll travel anywhere in the world to see this one! ;) Is this the first non-Disney Buena Vista film to become a musical?

Hopefully this means a Special Edition DVD next year!

-Aaron

• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Are you serious? That's a bizarre choice for a stage show, but I have to admit that I'm excited at the prospect of getting a SE DVD of the film to cross promote the show. Be sure to give us an in-depth review when you see it opening night. ;) Heck, you could even devote an entire Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Pod episode to it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:25 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

that will be werid but relly cool. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Nothing you can say can tear me away from my God...my God... :)

I will follow Him! Follow Him wherever He may go!

I love Sister Act, but a stage musical seems rather strange. Then again they do have a musical about a spelling bee (something like The 30th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee) so a musical about a showgirl turned Nun should be interesting. Maybe we'll get some of the Latin Hunchback songs in this show! Also, wouldn't they have to get the rights to the music she spoofs? And is it possible to find an actress to fill Whoopi's shoes...I mean habit? lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:51 am 
Platinum Edition

Maybe it's just that I'm a fan, but I don't think it's an odd choice at all. The movie already has musical elements to it, the screenplay seems like it would make for an easy adaptation to a play, and it's about lounge singers and singing nuns in flashy Las Vegas... sounds like a great set of ingredients to me.

Kram Nebuer wrote:
Also, wouldn't they have to get the rights to the music she spoofs?

I don't think so. Parodying doesn't require rights to begin with... but the songs in Sister Act aren't really parodies because they keep most of the original lyrics. Still, Disney already has the rights to the songs as they appear in Sister Act, and the soundtrack is still in print as far as I know so it's obviously been maintained, so I would imagine that they already have the rights.

Kram Nebuer wrote:
And is it possible to find an actress to fill Whoopi's shoes...I mean habit? lol...

Definitely not. ;) Maybe she'll be in it... she doesn't have a lot going on right now and she just wrapped up her last Broadway show. She's said in the past that she didn't like filming it that much because the habit was so uncomfortable (or something like that), so maybe she won't. That would be great, though! If it isn't her, I hope they find a suitable replacement, bearing in mind that there's only one Whoopi.

I'm really hoping that she is heavily involved with the inevitable special edition releases of both <i>Sister Act</i>s. I'd love a commentary track from her, along with some of the other cast and crew. She hasn't been very involved with any of her DVDs yet, but I think this could be the release to change that trend.

Did anyone get to see the other Whoopi movie-turned-show, <i>The Color Purple</i> musical? I'd love to get to see that one.

-Aaron

• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:07 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

awallaceunc wrote:
Hopefully this means a Special Edition DVD next year!

Wow, that is GREAT news! :D That movie had great songs! :)
And an SE of that movie is something I'm waiting for! (of that and SA2!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:14 am 
Site Admin

From what I read a little bit ago, I think that Disney is actually optioning the rights to <i>Sister Act</i> and will have nothing to do with the play. If I'm not mistaken, Peter Schneider, once a major exec among Disney Animation, is seeing this through.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:59 am 
Platinum Edition

Whoopi Goldberg Announces Return To London Stage In ‘Sister Act’ Revival
https://deadline.com/video/whoopi-goldb ... -saunders/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:01 pm 
Special Edition

As Deloris, which is very interesting and odd, given how energic the role is on stage. I believe she has said on The View that it's being rewritten to accomodate her

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don’t know the show well enough to make much comment about the... um, practicality?, of this casting, but man oh man, to see Whoopi Goldberg live on stage would be such a thrill. Truly one of our greatest living performers. And the added bonus of seeing Jennifer Saunders alongside her!

Alas, a trip to London cannot be in the cards for me...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:37 am 
Platinum Edition

Wow, that's amazing. I saw this play on Broadway. But I didn't like it. I guess I didn't like that it felt like they were being a little blasphemous in decking out Mary and the habits. Maybe not. I didn't like Raven Symone's character, I couldn't tell if it was her or the acting. She seemed like she just was...I don't know what word it is. She was...empty and flighty? And I guess the show wasn't particularly poignant or, well, good to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

There’s speculation that this really is a one-off (read: no Broadway transfer with Whoopi), but it could be filmed for Disney+, which would suit me just fine!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd watch it, as I enjoyed the stage musical when I saw it in London.

I also read that Whoopi Goldberg will return to play Deloris on stage alongside Jennifer Saunders, from Absolutely Fabulous.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50167750

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:35 pm 
Platinum Edition

Alan Menken and Glenn Slater are writing a new song for the Sister Act revival in London.

Glenn Slater wrote:
Starting the year off right — working on a new Sister Act duet for Whoopi Goldberg and Jennifer Saunders. Can't wait to see these two geniuses on stage together in London this summer!
Source: https://twitter.com/SlaterLyrics/status ... 1565940736

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^I hope it's released online as well when the Sister Act revival opens in London.