The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by Vlad »

I don't know, I like everything I saw so far for this one. It looks like it's going to be a great movie. And it's super awesome, as it'll be released in theaters just in time for my birthday. :D

How cute is baby Simba? ❤️
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:There's currently some Scar-related backlash online. People are complaining that he looks too mangy, has a disproportionately elongated face and enlarged head, he's not emotive and doesn't sound menacing enough. Other are claiming he has been "straight-washed" since he lacks the feminine traits of the original character. What do you think?

Personally, I don't have a problem with him not being feminine since the practice of gay-coding villains is a dubious one to start with. I do agree about the underwhelming design and off proportions though. He just doesn't look good.

Well, I was surprised that looked a slightly bit caricatured than the other lions, yet still not as distinctive as he could've been. But what really surprised me is how he doesn't have a darker skin. Perhaps it's not as surprising after all, since it was previously mentioned that it would happen due to controversy, but lions with darker skin do exists.

Otherwise, as for the trailer, it was okay. At least the transitional montage of Simba's growth is justified of being placed in different locations :P Though The Lion Sleeps Tonight-humming at the end of the trailer clashed with the serious tone of the trailer.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:There's currently some Scar-related backlash online. People are complaining that he looks too mangy, has a disproportionately elongated face and enlarged head, he's not emotive and doesn't sound menacing enough. Other are claiming he has been "straight-washed" since he lacks the feminine traits of the original character. What do you think?

Personally, I don't have a problem with him not being feminine since the practice of gay-coding villains is a dubious one to start with. I do agree about the underwhelming design and off proportions though. He just doesn't look good.

Well, I was surprised that looked a slightly bit caricatured than the other lions, yet still not as distinctive as he could've been. But what really surprised me is how he doesn't have a darker skin. Perhaps it's not as surprising after all, since it was previously mentioned that it would happen due to controversy, but lions with darker skin do exists.

Otherwise, as for the trailer, it was okay. At least the transitional montage of Simba's growth is justified of being placed in different locations :P Though The Lion Sleeps Tonight-humming at the end of the trailer clashed with the serious tone of the trailer.
I think people aren’t realizing that there was backlash about Scar being dark colored and more feminine in his characteristics in the first place. This move makes sense to me from a “Disney trying to be PC” standpoint. They’re gonna get backlash if the only dark colored, non-straight acting character is the villain, and they’re gonna get backlash for changing him to be light colored and masculine. There’s no winning in Twitter culture.

As for the trailer, I’m not sold. It doesn’t read completely realistic to me. Movements are stiff and off and some of the seams like Pumba’s feet touching the ground aren’t there yet. I see them leaning into the classic shot for shot look and I’m okay with that for a trailer. We know there are new songs and new characters, so there’s no need to worry. I’m sure it will be fine, as I liked the Jungle Book. I’m just hoping it has more heart than what it looks like it does. I think it’s the lack of mood to the shots. They’re just very... bland. There’s no warmth to it all like the original has. It’s Africa, it’s art, it’s African culture which is so rich and beautiful. Some of that should’ve been brought into all this.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

it looks.... okay? it looks exactly like what they said it was going to be... Lion king with CGI animals recreating the animated film scene by scene. Nope nobody has asked for this, but most will watch anyway just because it Lion King. The CGI looks good but nothing we haven't seen before technically, it looks just like that commercial with the lionesses that didn't want to eat the hippo b/c its too much fat & I cant even remember what the ad was selling now. It does feel cringey in many parts. The singing is gonna be really cringey. And there's abso-fricken-lutley no way that it will be better than the original.

btw Ive noticed a lot of complaints about the animals looking strange/off or ugly. They look odd b/c that's what the real animals look like! That's what a real warthog looks like! That's what a real hornbill looks like(nope they aren't blue!) That's what a real mangy emaciated lion looks like! :milkbuds:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

nomad2010 wrote:As for the trailer, I’m not sold. It doesn’t read completely realistic to me. Movements are stiff and off and some of the seams like Pumba’s feet touching the ground aren’t there yet.
The animation is indeed stiff. I believe it has to do with them going with a quasi-photorealistic approach on the designs instead of fully photoreal. It's difficult to pull off believable animation when your characters are constantly walking between realistic and caricatured. It looks unnerving and unsettling at times like something doesn't feel right but you can't pinpoint what.
nomad2010 wrote:I’m just hoping it has more heart than what it looks like it does. I think it’s the lack of mood to the shots. They’re just very... bland. There’s no warmth to it all like the original has. It’s Africa, it’s art, it’s African culture which is so rich and beautiful. Some of that should’ve been brought into all this.
Yep. It definitely lacks the the exuberance and grandeur of the original. The composition and the cinematography are downplayed in an attempt to make the surroundings look more grounded and realistic. The shots are less sharp, vivid and eye-catching. The color scheme is more washed out and muted as opposed to the heightened color palette of the original.
unprincess wrote:It does feel cringey in many parts. The singing is gonna be really cringey. And there's abso-fricken-lutley no way that it will be better than the original.
To be fair, none of the remakes were. Not even Alice or The Jungle Book despite the originals being episodic and lacking in heart and seemingly easier to improve upon. And you know why? Because they lack that special, magical ingredient that is glorious hand-drawn animation!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

unprincess wrote:Nope nobody has asked for this
Name me a movie that people have asked for.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:
unprincess wrote:It does feel cringey in many parts. The singing is gonna be really cringey. And there's abso-fricken-lutley no way that it will be better than the original.
To be fair, none of the remakes were. Not even Alice or The Jungle Book despite the originals being episodic and lacking in heart and seemingly easier to improve upon. And you know why? Because they lack that special, magical ingredient that is glorious hand-drawn animation!
In addition, the people who made the originals were passionate about the films, and passion affects the end product. The remakes exist only because Disney hope to make money off of "Nostalgia" and it's Disney way of showing "look, we're woke now".
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
farerb wrote:
Sotiris wrote: To be fair, none of the remakes were. Not even Alice or The Jungle Book despite the originals being episodic and lacking in heart and seemingly easier to improve upon. And you know why? Because they lack that special, magical ingredient that is glorious hand-drawn animation!
In addition, the people who made the originals were passionate about the films, and passion affects the end product. The remakes exist only because Disney hope to make money off of "Nostalgia" and it's Disney way of showing "look, we're woke now".
Ok, look. I actually asked for all of my favorite Disney movies to be in live-action. I love them hand-drawn, but I also wanted to see how they would look as live-action. And for Cinderella, I got a lot of my wish come true. I mostly got what I asked for. And I know that many people also have asked for the same things for their favorite Disney movies. It's not just nostalgia. It's desire to see magic that looks real.

Everything looks fine to me for The Lion King except that it is going to be hard for me to keep track of which lion is which.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Anyone else notice Julie Taymor's executive producer credit in the trailer? I wonder how heavily involved she is and if the movie is taking more inspiration from the Broadway musical than the marketing is letting on.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
Ok, look. I actually asked for all of my favorite Disney movies to be in live-action.

ok I guess 2 people asked for it. :-P

For the record I probably will watch it, b/c I like animals and Im curious about how they handle the hyenas. I just dont think most of the world was clamoring for a live action Lion King. Or Jungle Book or Dumbo or...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't know. I still think this trend perpetuate the conception that animation is inferior to live action
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

farerb wrote:I don't know. I still think this trend perpetuate the conception that animation is inferior to live action
Not when Disney is still making high quality animated movies and TV shows.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

unprincess wrote:I just dont think most of the world was clamoring for a live action Lion King. Or Jungle Book or Dumbo or...
TLK actually had a good deal of people crying out for a live-action remake, but most of them wanted one that would use human characters. If Black Panther had come out before when production started on this remake, maybe Disney would have gone that route anyway since there's clearly an audience.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

When I saw this yesterday. I was on the way to work and I was sobbing on my subway :lol: The animation is stunning and the character design is fantastic! I love Scar's new look. Very worn old and trashy, which is fitting of his character. I'm a little disappointed with Zazu's design. Timon and Pumbaa are adorable. Timon is so fuzzy :D Them teasing The Lion King Sleeps Tonight gave me a huge smile.

The lack of expressions kill me. I don't give a darn if this is the "realistic version," it's horrible and will ruin the movie! Adult Simba's transition in Hakuna Matata is horrid. No personality, no charm, no "Disney magic" whatsoever.

Some tweets (and shade from Tom Bancroft :lol: ):

https://twitter.com/pumbaaguy1/status/1 ... 9796904960
https://twitter.com/nekoama/status/1116132337425764352
https://twitter.com/paragon_zoe/status/ ... 7236783104
https://twitter.com/AlanTheWriter/statu ... 7544353792
https://twitter.com/CynicalHound/status ... 7525832704

Also, as I feared, the voice actor for Scar is extremely disappointing and nearly lifeless. They should have chosen Tom Hiddleston or just got Jeremy Irons back.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:The lack of expressions kill me. I don't give a darn if this is the "realistic version," it's horrible and will ruin the movie! Adult Simba's transition in Hakuna Matata is horrid. No personality, no charm, no "Disney magic" whatsoever.
This is not new though. The Jungle Book literally had the same problem. I don't blame the animators for this. The photoreal approach they've chosen for the character designs is the issue. You can't do exaggerated, anthropomorphic performances with photoreal characters because it breaks the illusion and looks really uncanny and weird. The type of performance needs to match the design in order for your character to be believable.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

TLK actually had a good deal of people crying out for a live-action remake, but most of them wanted one that would use human characters. If Black Panther had come out before when production started on this remake, maybe Disney would have gone that route anyway since there's clearly an audience.
^now see that I can agree on, but there's no way Disney would allow that since they'd would've probably felt it would make less people want to attend the expensive Broadway shows.

The problem for me isn't so much making live action versions of these films so much as making ones that don't at least try to reinterpret the material in some inventive way. That's why I think I enjoyed Maleficent and Alice in Wonderland more.

I still enjoyed Cinderella, Jungle Book and B&TB as well but it's not like I would've ever lost sleep if Disney had never made them in the first place.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

:lol: I especially liked the last one.
disneyprincess11 wrote:The lack of expressions kill me. I don't give a darn if this is the "realistic version," it's horrible and will ruin the movie! Adult Simba's transition in Hakuna Matata is horrid. No personality, no charm, no "Disney magic" whatsoever.
I agree. I understand why they chose to give the film a photorealistic look (so that it looked like a live-action remake), but in my opinion it was a mistake. They should've caricaturized the characters more.
Sotiris wrote:It definitely lacks the the exuberance and grandeur of the original. The composition and the cinematography are downplayed in an attempt to make the surroundings look more grounded and realistic. The shots are less sharp, vivid and eye-catching. The color scheme is more washed out and muted as opposed to the heightened color palette of the original.
That's quite evident in this trailer comparison. It's curious, one of the advantages of these remakes is that, supposedly, they look more spectacular in live action, but here it's the opposite.
estefan wrote:Anyone else notice Julie Taymor's executive producer credit in the trailer? I wonder how heavily involved she is and if the movie is taking more inspiration from the Broadway musical than the marketing is letting on.
That's interesting. They must've taken some inspiration from the Broadway show, then.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

nomad2010 wrote:I think people aren’t realizing that there was backlash about Scar being dark colored and more feminine in his characteristics in the first place. This move makes sense to me from a “Disney trying to be PC” standpoint. They’re gonna get backlash if the only dark colored, non-straight acting character is the villain, and they’re gonna get backlash for changing him to be light colored and masculine. There’s no winning in Twitter culture..
So...why are they trying again then? The trope has existed since the beginning of story telling probably, because it works.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:That's quite evident in this trailer comparison. It's curious, one of the advantages of these remakes is that, supposedly, they look more spectacular in live action, but here it's the opposite.
Thanks for posting that video. Watching that trailer again, it reminded me of Pride, a 2004 movie about lions that combined real footage animals with CG mouths. The result was surprisingly similar.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I haven't seen that movie, but it's true, the result is not too different.

By the way, I had a doubt about the trailer. Is Scar supposed to be an albino lion as it was rumored some time ago, or are albino lions whiter?