DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
While it's very likely Triton's daughters will be of different races/ethnicities, I think it will be done at random. I doubt they're going to put any thought into it. Personally, I don't like it when movies ignore genetics and the laws of inheritance. It's distracting and makes it harder to suspend disbelief. Just because a piece of fiction has fantastical elements in it, doesn't mean anything goes. It still needs to adhere to our material reality in some fundamental way and if not it needs to create its own set of rules that are believable and consistent.

Well, if it helps, try to think of it this way: cats are very much real and a queen cat can end up having kittens of various fur patterns (light, dark, calico) in the same litter. Also of note is that cats with lighter fur have pink skin, while cats with dark fur have grey skin. If we apply the same real-life logic to mermaids (which we have established as fictional, and we can only speculate how they mate or reproduce), we can assume their genetics work the same as with, say, cats. Also, like Old Fish Tale said, maybe their human-part skin color depends on the color of their fish scales.

I don't know, I like adherence to rules of science in fictional universes as much as the next person, but I'm fine with this movie taking whatever liberties it wants to. As long as it keeps its internal logic intact, it's all fine by me. It wouldn't be the first time a fictional race was reimagined, i.e. vampires in Twilight (okay, maybe not the greatest example :lol:) vs. how vampires have been shown in fiction before. IIRC, I believe Escapay once wrote about that in one of the topics here.

I believe you are right though when you say that knowing Disney, their ethnicities will probably be randomly assigned.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Btw, I hope my post didn’t come across snippy, @Mooky. I only meant that I don’t really think of the merfolk in the Disney film as innately magical, although I know what you meant about mermaids being magical creatures as far as mythology goes, like unicorns and so on.

Oh no, don't worry. I didn't take it that way at all. You are right, that's exactly how I meant it, equating magical with fictional/mythological. If Ariel was magical 'magical' there would be no original movie and we'd all be worse for it lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It has now been confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter and other reputable sites that Javier Bardem is in talks to play King Triton.

And should we believe the following or is it a mistake by the journalist who wrote it?
Quote:
Halle Bailey will portray the Ariel, a mermaid princess who dreams of being a human, while Melissa McCarthy is playing her evil aunt Ursula. Harry Styles is also in early talks to play Prince Eric.
Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/litt ... 203270668/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:58 pm 
Platinum Edition

I hope they do keep the family relationship between Ursula and Triton if they're going to bring in the Ariel's-mother-was-killed-by-humans backstory.

TLM ~ "Intro Ursula" / "Poor Unfortunate Souls" / "Ursula's Defeat"
TLM ~ "Under the Sea"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Old Fish Tale wrote:
Maybe their skin colour varies with their scales colour.

That would be a good explanation.

thedisneyspirit wrote:
He's not from America, why don't you try to tell him it's not a correct term instead of acting all uppity and snotty about it?

tsom probably didn't think of that, but you're right. In Spain for example (unless it has changed lately and I didn't know it) is more politically correct to call a black person colored ("de color" in Spanish) than black.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm 
Platinum Edition

:roll:

Source: https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1 ... 8725899264

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:31 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
:roll:
:lol: I'd rather he went and worked on a Moana Broadway show instead of inserting himself onto TLM.

TLM ~ "Under the Sea"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:56 am 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Earlier this week the internet went buzzing over reports that former One Direction member Harry Style was in early talks to play Prince Eric in Disney’s live-action adaptation of The Little Mermaid. Now thanks to a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, they learned Shazam star Asher Angel also auditioned for the role.

What makes this news most intriguing is that according to Variety’s Justin Kroll, Harry Styles may still be on the fence, and according to ET, Asher Angel is now one of the finalists for the role. In the interview, Angel expressed his excitement for the project and its stars such as the new Ariel Halle Bailey.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2019/07/19/as ... e-mermaid/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 am 
Limited Edition

What's up with so many of these casting choices? They seem so random and pulled-out-of-a-hat-ish.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

I definitely prefer Harry Styles to that guy, no contest. I hope it’s not him. Between him, Bailey, and Zendaya, it sounds like they were looking primarily through teens already working for Disney… That’s very disappointing.

TLM ~ "Under the Sea"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm 
Super Genius

A little fan art I made for The Little Mermaid, sing source images I could find online and then photoshopping them all together. Unfortunately I can't post a bigger version here, but you can see that on my facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/RobJacobsArtist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ That is super pretty, Rob!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

That fan art is beautiful. You're very talented, robster16!

Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
Earlier this week the internet went buzzing over reports that former One Direction member Harry Style was in early talks to play Prince Eric in Disney’s live-action adaptation of The Little Mermaid. Now thanks to a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, they learned Shazam star Asher Angel also auditioned for the role.

What makes this news most intriguing is that according to Variety’s Justin Kroll, Harry Styles may still be on the fence, and according to ET, Asher Angel is now one of the finalists for the role. In the interview, Angel expressed his excitement for the project and its stars such as the new Ariel Halle Bailey.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2019/07/19/as ... e-mermaid/

I liked him in Shazam, but I don't see him as Eric. And he's just 16. Isn't he a bit young for the role?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

Great job robster16! That's awesome looking!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:10 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

thedisneyspirit wrote:
What's up with so many of these casting choices? They seem so random and pulled-out-of-a-hat-ish.

I wouldn't say that Asher Angel is random. He is on Disney's Andi Mack and was in Shazam with Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi).

Age aside and unless they keep the Vanessa subplot ( :huh: ), I would personally rather have Asher Angel over Harry Styles. I just don't know why we can't have a POC Eric like Jordan Fisher. Especially now crap will hit the fan with diverse social media with a black mermaid giving up everything for a white man. I have seen posts already about it. If Ariel can be different, why not Eric? Is the black hair too iconic? :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 am 
Platinum Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:
I just don't know why we can't have a POC Eric like Jordan Fisher.

While I do love me some Harry Styles, Jordan Fisher IS AWESOME!!!!!!! disneyprincess11, that's such a good choice! He's already in the Disney family, too! And he has a great voice, so Eric would need a song!

*edit*

'The Little Mermaid': Harry Styles and Halle Bailey "Instantly Clicked" During Recent Screen-Test
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... test.html/

Last edited by blackcauldron85 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

'Little Mermaid' OG Prince Eric Hypes the Reboot...And His Potential Replacement
https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/21/little-m ... le-bailey/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:23 pm 
Platinum Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Is the black hair too iconic? :P
Neither Ashley nor Styles have black hair… That’s already gone, even with the white guys they're looking at.

Personally, I tend to enjoy whenever Disney gets blowback, whatever the reason, because they’re a horrible company these days. *shrug* They have billions. They can take it.

TLM ~ "Under the Sea"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:49 pm 
Limited Edition

robster16 wrote:
A little fan art I made for The Little Mermaid, sing source images I could find online and then photoshopping them all together. Unfortunately I can't post a bigger version here, but you can see that on my facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/RobJacobsArtist

That is beautiful :) Do you mind if I post it on my Disney fanpage, too? I'll give you credit, of course. :)

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:58 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I can't see Asher Angel as Eric. I love him on Andi Mack but maybe because I'm so familiar with his character, I just can't imagine him playing anyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 pm 
Gold Collection

Considering that Asher is underage and Halle is not, i hope he doesn't get casted. it's kinda creepy, especially given how much of the plot resolves around Ariel needing to kiss Eric.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 59  Next