The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by tsom »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Rehearsing the beach scene: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... rmaid.html
Aww finally some pics from set! Thanks for sharing! They look good! Who knew even Sardinia would have paparazzi?
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

nomad2010 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Her hair. :( Why would they go with such a direction for the hair? Isn't Marshall supposed to have good taste or something?
I wouldn’t be shocked if they CGI color it. Actually dying it would ruin her locs forever and she’d most likely have to cut them off. My guess is they had her lighten them for filming purposes to see them better and then will alter the color some for the film. Though I could be wrong.
Certainly possible. In the 'Cinderella' remake, the ball dress' colour was enhanced in the film versus set photos.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I believe Sotiris had no problems with her dreads, but the color not being red, when they bothered to color it a different shade than her original color. I have a problem with that, too, but if you guys are right and they will make it red in post production, just like her tail isn't the final color either, then I'll be fine.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So glad to see these pictures! There were lots of people saying we were unlikely to get any on-set pics so this is very unexpected.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Love these pics. :)
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

I'm almost certain that her hair will be Ariel's iconic red shade. Perhaps slightly more vibrant under water than above water, who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Also fun to see is that she appears to be in a mocked up fish tail which seems to be pretty long, which I love! And you can see parts of the destroyed ship washed ashore around them, with a case of bottles and part of a ships staircase. Plenty of fun Easter eggs and details to be discovered from these shots!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Personally, I think it's unfair to judge this film, which will have a lot of post-production visual effects and colour grading, from far away blurry shots. That's not at all an accurate portrait of what the finished movie will look like.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I assumed there would be digital work on the hair after-the-fact, too. Personally, I wish she'd just keep her hair the way it is since it'll probably look dumb if they change it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Regarding Ariel's hair, I haven't read every comment on the last few pages, so maybe this has already been mentioned, but I think the red hue could be her natural hair in the movie. And not due to her being a magical creature, but because (unless the race of the characters is completely ignored) Triton is played by Javier Bardem, so technically she'll be just half Black, and mixed-race people can be redheads, like for example, Erin Kellyman, the actress in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Solo: A Star Wars Story. They did something similar in Come Away, Brenda Chapman's live-action debut. There they kept Alice's (from Alice in Wonderland) signature blond hair even though the actress was Black by making her the daughter of an interracial couple.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Lin Manuel Miranda has confirmed in an interview on BBC’s “the one show” that NONE of the songs from the original movie were cut, they are all there and that 4 new songs were added to the movie!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I guess one of the new songs got cut because Menken previously said there were 5 new songs while LMM has just said there are 4 new songs.
Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:Rob Marshall with whom I worked on Mary Poppins Returns is directing it, the brilliant Halle Bailey is playing Ariel, and I got to write four new songs with Alan Menken. I wrote lyrics for his incredible music. We didn't cut any of the songs. Nothing you loved in Little Mermaid is gone, but we did write some new songs for some moments.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... w-10062021
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

It’s possible that it was always meant to be Four, and or with that one of them Alan Menken or Lin-Manuel Miranda Was only off by one, or like with the 2016 jungle book, they do have all the songs, but the lyrics In one of them are altered, So that could be what they meant in that technically there is only four overall new songs and they do have all the original songs, but one of them is technically new because it has new/altered lyrics :-)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What was the altered song in The Jungle Book (2016)?
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney Duster wrote:What was the altered song in The Jungle Book (2016)?
I wanna be like you Altered the Second half of its lyrics to The following:
Now you might think it's ridiculous
That me, a gigantipithicus
Would ever dream I'd like to team
With the likes of you, mancub
But together, we'd have powers
All the jungle's treasures, ours
I got desire, you got the fire
But the dream I dream takes two
So, ooh, I wanna be like you
I wanna use that flame just the same you can do
Oh, how magnificus it would be
A gigantipithicus like me
Could learn to do like you humans do
Can learn to be like someone like you
Can learn to be like someone like me

I’ve also heard that they altered the Siamese cat Song in the 2019 Lady and the tramp [Haven’t seen it yet] because of racial allegations from the original song. I wanna be like you was changed due to the species and personality change of king Louie, As well as the expansion of the role of fire in the film; I don’t know If either situation will happen here, but it is a possibility or any other kind of scenario that they would alter a Song For similar or other reasons To have it be different enough To be considered a new/different song in their mind.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Patricier21 wrote:I’ve also heard that they altered the Siamese cat Song in the 2019 Lady and the tramp [Haven’t seen it yet] because of racial allegations from the original song.
Yes, but there they replaced it with a completely new song called "What a Shame". Another song from a remake that got new lyrics is "Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast. I don't remember if there are more cases of that. Regarding The Little Mermaid new songs, I think it's likely one of them was cut. Five new songs were a lot of songs; I already expected something like this would happen. If it's true it has been cut, I hope it's included in the soundtrack or in the Blu-ray as a deleted song.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I can see them using the longer version for Fathoms Below.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:I can see them using the longer version for Fathoms Below.
That's quite likely. I thought they would maybe cut "Les Poissons", but since Lin-Manuel Miranda says they haven't cut any of the original songs, it'll be in the movie. I wonder who will play chef Louis in this version.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Another possibility could [Hopefully not] be another Be prepared situation where There The song was actually originally reported as cut, which although it is still there in the movie, it pretty much is cut as it’s not only so different from the original movie‘s version, but wasn’t even really treated like a Song. Now it doesn’t sound like that’s going to happen to any of the songs from the original little mermaid, since Lin-Manuel Miranda did say that “none of What was loved in the original version will be left out of this version“, but is it possible that a similar situation could happen with the supposed five New songs, or as mentioned like with beauty and the beast and Aladdin that it will end up as a deleted song on the soundtrack Blu-ray or Disney+, or even possibly add it on during re-shoots [which is what I actually think could’ve happened With be prepared, not That the live action lion king actually had “re-shoots“ per se, But rather added on late in production possibly As a result of backlash from originally being reported as Cut, much like certain elements of Aladdin such as the role and talking of the animal characters, though IM more certain It is what I originally said above about how it was reported as “cut“ because it’s technically not really a song in the remake].
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I have a feeling that if any of the songs receive new lyrics, it'll be "Poor Unfortunate Souls" in order to connect the two halves a la the Live! show on ABC a year back.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Pretty cool that they indeed went with the dreadlocks/braids for Ariel. A lot of fanart of Halle as Ariel had her with that hairstyle. The colour is indeed a bit less vibrant than the hair we're used to, but like others here have said I think they might indeed change the colour in post production. I also wouldn't be suprised if it's more vibrant under water than above water.

I also think it's kind of hilarious how many people online seem to think these are the final costumes. Like, obviously Ariel is not gonna be wearing a wetsuit in the movie. rotfl