The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by tsom »

Disney Duster wrote:Disney's Divinity isn't doing anything wrong, he's just explaining why it would be bad to cut Vanessa or "Poor Unfortunate Souls (Reprise)" if they ever were to be cut, which we were discussing. Thank you farerb for the info, too.
He literally said it’s brain dead (which is an awful term) that the scene and song were cut. He was stating it as fact. He does it all the time in this thread. I really can’t be the only one that notices this. I’m surprised he didn’t blame Lin Manuel for the cut song.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, I had posted the below last night, but deleted it to keep the drama over everything I say and do on the last page, but since you dragged it onto this one anyway:
I just don’t understand coming into a thread for a movie you don’t care about.
Did I say that I didn't care about it? I said I hope it flops. Hoping something bombs sort of means you have a feeling towards it, doesn't it? Naturally I do care how this film will affect the way the TLM property is treated going forward as well as how other remakes will or won't follow its lead (hopefully not). This flopping would discourage the same mistakes from being repeated with others like Hercules, for example, since Mulan apparently wasn't enough for them to learn their lesson. And I know I'll end up buying the soundtrack practically against my will for completion's sake because it's Menken and TLM. Moreover, I enjoy being a thorn in Disney's side, however small and inconsequential online chatter may be in the scheme of things. Perhaps media glance at this Disney forum once in a blue moon or Disney's people themselves do so? Sometimes you put things out into the universe and they can make an impact.

And clearly we are very different people. I obsess over a subject, you obsess over other posters. You’re not the only one (apparently), but I'm not obligated to care about what you want or like. And you should know by now you're wasting your time trying to scare me off. You've been at that many more years than I'll have been bitching about this movie once the film's finally out and this thread becomes a graveyard. Maybe you need to chill. You have an Ignore function to help you do it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Ok, so you admit you’re being obnoxious on purpose and your posts are farce. Got it.

Moving on, looking forward to this movie. I wish Maleficent had been a real Sleeping Beauty remake. After Snow White, I hope they consider Princess and the Frog, Tangled and Frozen. I feel like those will come eventually.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Divinity didn't say it as fact. He was implying if you cut it, that's braindead. And he's not being "obnoxious" or "a farce"!

I wish instead of Maleficent we had Sleeping Beauty as well, with the faithfulness of Beauty and the Beast, but the actual good movie feeling of Cinderella and The Jungle Book. I wish Tangled in live-action would be Glean Keane's Rapunzel in live-action.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

tsom wrote:I wish Maleficent had been a real Sleeping Beauty remake. After Snow White, I hope they consider Princess and the Frog, Tangled and Frozen. I feel like those will come eventually.
I hope they don't consider The Princess and the Frog. I don't want creepy unappealing CGI frogs, or realistic CGI of Louis and Ray... Ron Clements and John Musker were right when they said that they were always looking for ideas for movies that would take advantage of animation as a medium and that none of their films would work as live actions (unlike Pocahontas or Hunchback). It's evident in Aladdin where the Genie is toned down and looks awful in blue CGI.

I wouldn't mind a live action adaptation of Rapunzel, maybe they can incorporate more music and tone down the DreamWorks-ness of Flynn and his humor.

I'd really prefer if Disney made a proper adaptation of The Snow Queen rather than Frozen, even if it's live action, but I doubt that would ever happen. I lament that Walt never got to make his version of The Snow Queen, we could have gotten something more sophisticated and true to the original tale with a villain that is not unlike Maleficent:
Disney's Divinity

tsom wrote:Ok, so you admit you’re being obnoxious on purpose and your posts are farce. Got it.
And you admit you can't do anything other than personally insult someone you disagree with. If it bothers you, you have a recourse in the Ignore function. *shrug* A pretty good insult of my own came to mind in response to this, but I won't stoop to your level even though I thought it was a pretty funny one. :lol: Mostly because that would be giving you what you really wanted here...
Disney Duster wrote:I wish instead of Maleficent we had Sleeping Beauty as well, with the faithfulness of Beauty and the Beast, but the actual good movie feeling of Cinderella and The Jungle Book. I wish Tangled in live-action would be Glean Keane's Rapunzel in live-action.
I've always thought they could still do a proper Sleeping Beauty adaptation that's separate from Maleficent. (I remember saying that once to Prince Edward, I think it was, who really wanted a traditional SB. I remember having that discussion before though.) It's probably more possible now that the Maleficent franchise is done. I think it could happen. These remakes will keep just going around in a circle. In fifteen years, they'll start over again with a new Cinderella. :lol:

I'd like live-action versions of all of TP&TF, Tangled, and Frozen eventually. I think a Tangled one in particular could improve on the original, particularly the musical aspect could actually be embraced. But who am I kidding, they'd be just as likely to hire directors who hate musicals for the remake, too, so who knows if the soundtrack wouldn't be cut just like with Mulan and (pending) Hercules. Frozen's music is too memorable to simply be cut out, thank God. Then again, I thought the same thing was true for "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You," so who really knows.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't know Walt had done any work on a Snow Queen movie, farerb. What did he do?

Divinity, I like your faith in a faithful Sleeping Beauty remake. It would be cool if they could build sets and CGI and costumes as beautiful as the original film was. I hope they don't make another Cinderella because I think that one was so perfect (just soulless!) and I want people to watch it since I love it so much (I love it second to the animated one), but part of me would also love to see yet another well-done Cinderella, especially if they made it even more faithful to the original.

I think Frozen'a phenomenon with its music is too recently huge and also was even bigger than [/i]Mulan[/i]'s music to cut the music in a remake.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote:I didn't know Walt had done any work on a Snow Queen movie, farerb. What did he do?
https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Frozen#Development
The Disney studio first began exploring a possible live action/animation biography film of author and poet Hans Christian Andersen sometime in late 1937 before the December premiere of its film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first feature-length hand-drawn animated film ever made. In March 1940, Walt Disney suggested a co-production to film producer Samuel Goldwyn, where Goldwyn's studio would shoot the live-action sequences of Andersen's life and Disney's studio would animate Andersen's fairy tales. The animated sequences would be based on some of Andersen's best known works, such as The Little Mermaid, The Little Match Girl, The Steadfast Tin Soldier, The Snow Queen, Thumbelina, The Ugly Duckling, The Red Shoes, and The Emperor's New Clothes. However, the studio encountered difficulty with The Snow Queen, as it could not find a way to adapt and relate the Snow Queen character to modern audiences. Even as far back as the 1930s and 1940s, it was clear that the source material contained great cinematic possibilities, but the Snow Queen character proved to be too problematic. After the United States entered World War II, the Disney studio had to focus on making wartime propaganda, which caused development on the Disney-Goldwyn project to grind to a halt in 1942. Goldwyn went on to produce his own live-action film version in 1952, entitled Hans Christian Andersen, with Danny Kaye as Andersen, Charles Vidor directing, Moss Hart writing, and Frank Loesser penning the songs. All of Andersen's fairy tales were, instead, told in song and ballet in live-action, like the rest of the film. It went on to receive six Academy Award nominations the following year. Back at Disney, The Snow Queen, along with other Andersen fairy tales (including The Little Mermaid), were shelved.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks Amy! But it doesn't sound like anyone has ever seen much work on story or visuals for Walt's take on The Snow Queen, if there was any.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yeah, besides Marc Davis' concept art for the boat ride attraction (not the film), I don't know that any concept art was released (but some of Kai Nielsen's TLM artwork for the same project has been released). "The Art of Frozen" book mentions the earlier version, but doesn't have artwork from it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Right. So I would say we don't know how Walt's Snow Queen would have turned out, and it wouldn't have been feature-length anyway.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Farerb wrote:
tsom wrote:I wish Maleficent had been a real Sleeping Beauty remake. After Snow White, I hope they consider Princess and the Frog, Tangled and Frozen. I feel like those will come eventually.
I hope they don't consider The Princess and the Frog. I don't want creepy unappealing CGI frogs, or realistic CGI of Louis and Ray... Ron Clements and John Musker were right when they said that they were always looking for ideas for movies that would take advantage of animation as a medium and that none of their films would work as live actions (unlike Pocahontas or Hunchback). It's evident in Aladdin where the Genie is toned down and looks awful in blue CGI.

I wouldn't mind a live action adaptation of Rapunzel, maybe they can incorporate more music and tone down the DreamWorks-ness of Flynn and his humor.

I'd really prefer if Disney made a proper adaptation of The Snow Queen rather than Frozen, even if it's live action, but I doubt that would ever happen. I lament that Walt never got to make his version of The Snow Queen, we could have gotten something more sophisticated and true to the original tale with a villain that is not unlike Maleficent:

Are you familiar with the Russian animated version from 1957 ? It's quite faithful to the text by Andersen. In my opinion, it's even better as it gets rid of the unnecessary subplots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozZT_Zd ... e=youtu.be
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

No, I'm not. It looks charming. Thank you for letting me know.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Redadoodles wrote:Are you familiar with the Russian animated version from 1957 ? It's quite faithful to the text by Andersen. In my opinion, it's even better as it gets rid of the unnecessary subplots.
Which subplots did you find unnecessary?
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Farerb wrote:No, I'm not. It looks charming. Thank you for letting me know.
My pleasure. :)
DisneyFan09 wrote:
Redadoodles wrote:Are you familiar with the Russian animated version from 1957 ? It's quite faithful to the text by Andersen. In my opinion, it's even better as it gets rid of the unnecessary subplots.
Which subplots did you find unnecessary?
I've tried to reply to your private message but it didn’t work for some reason.

It’s not that they’re unnecessary, I guess I chose the wrong word as they do work in the book but not so much in a film.
For example, the prologue involving the mirror and the devil would be of no use in an adaptation of the tale.
The religious themes are also too much in your face in the book and would probably alienate a lot of people (which would hurt the box office) especially when most of the audience are children.
Of course, that’s only my humble opinion.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Redadoodles wrote:I've tried to reply to your private message but it didn’t work for some reason.
Really? Sorry for approaching you on both devices. I didn`t knew if you saw my private message. So that`s why I replied to you here.
It’s not that they’re unnecessary, I guess I chose the wrong word as they do work in the book but not so much in a film.
For example, the prologue involving the mirror and the devil would be of no use in an adaptation of the tale.
The religious themes are also too much in your face in the book and would probably alienate a lot of people (which would hurt the box office) especially when most of the audience are children.
Of course, that’s only my humble opinion.
Fair enough.

I know that I`m repeating myself for those who`ve been here a long time, but I wasn`t particularly fond of the romantic love triangle. It felt unnecessary and superfluous to a story that should`ve been mostly about Elsa`s struggle and the sisterly relationship. Despite how I`ve come to realize that Anna`s arc still resonates for it`s overall message.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Here is a clip of Halle Bailey singing Can You Feel the Love Tonight during last Friday’s WDW 50th anniversary TV special on ABC. No wonder Prince Eric fell in love with this voice and Ursula wanted to take it away. We love to see it! :-)

https://twitter.com/fuccl/status/144413 ... 53408?s=21
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFan09 wrote:I know that I`m repeating myself for those who`ve been here a long time, but I wasn`t particularly fond of the romantic love triangle. It felt unnecessary and superfluous to a story that should`ve been mostly about Elsa`s struggle and the sisterly relationship. Despite how I`ve come to realize that Anna`s arc still resonates for it`s overall message.
What love triangle?
tsom wrote:Here is a clip of Halle Bailey singing Can You Feel the Love Tonight during last Friday’s WDW 50th anniversary TV special on ABC. No wonder Prince Eric fell in love with this voice and Ursula wanted to take it away. We love to see it! :-)

Her voice is very unique. It's kinda squeaky, but in a good way. I love it.
Disney's Divinity

^ I think DisneyFan09 is referring to Hans-Anna-Kristoff.

I do think she has a much prettier voice than Cravalho (TLM Live!), but not as good as Boggess (one of the few good things from the Broadway show) and especially not Benson. I expect her version of POYW to be loud going by how the song was done in the Broadway and Live! shows, unfortunately, although it’ll be less forgivable in-film. That reminds me of the making-of clips where even Benson performed it loud to begin with, before being directed away from that by Ashman. I definitely have no faith in the talent in charge here to have that kind of understanding to direct properly.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

tsom wrote:Here is a clip of Halle Bailey singing Can You Feel the Love Tonight during last Friday’s WDW 50th anniversary TV special on ABC. No wonder Prince Eric fell in love with this voice and Ursula wanted to take it away. We love to see it! :-)

She looks stunning...can't wait for this movie...