The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Ariel is supposed to have the most beautiful voice in the sea. I think they'll get an actual good singer. But the rest don't need to. But I do hang on to the hope they will get good singers as well as actors.

In Into the Woods, Anna Kendrick (Cinderella) is a great singer, that's why she was picked for Pitch Perfect and it's sequels. Daniel Huttlestone (Jack) could sing and was Gavroche in Les Miserables (the movie). Christine Baranski (Cinderella's Stepmother) is known for some Broadway. Lilla Crawford (Little Red Ridinghood) was Annie in Annie's last Broadway incarnation. Joanna Riding (Cinderella's Mother) can deeefinitely sing. And Mackenzie Mauzy (Rapunzel) is a great singer.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This was...painful. I hope Harvey Fierstein isn't cast as Ursula in the remake.

https://twitter.com/HarveyFierstein/sta ... 7905200128
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

His singing was awful. But I LOVED his acting and passion. If they dubbed him it might work. Auto-tune wouldn't fix it and no one likes when they use that. I will always think a female should play the movie role anyway, because I just think that adds to the believability and seriousness, but his acting was fantastic.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

While Ursula was infamously inspired by Divine, I don't think Disney will pull a Hairspray and hire a man to play the role in the live-action Little Mermaid (in the Broadway musical, Sherie Rene Scott originated as Ursula).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Harvey Fierstein would not be my first choice for Ursula, but his performance was at least fine.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

estefan wrote:While Ursula was infamously inspired by Divine, I don't think Disney will pull a Hairspray and hire a man to play the role in the live-action Little Mermaid (in the Broadway musical, Sherie Rene Scott originated as Ursula).
Well, personally, I hope they stay as far away from the musical as possible. No wonder they'd never have cast a man in that show considering they neutered Ursula entirely. She wasn’t even allowed to be fat or have purple as her primary color. Or be old, or have a deep voice, or move around, or be funny/intimidating. Hopefully movie Ursula is more like the original.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sherie Rene Scott was pretty great as Ursula. Yeah, she wasn't like the original and not as good as the original but I liked her interpretation. She was hilarious, if not intimidating. But there was harldy any drama conjured up in that Broadway show. I saw the original Broadway show in person with the original cast. At least one thing will please certain people here. Sierra Boggess was very much like the original Ariel and she was wonderful.
Disney's Divinity

I don't agree with any of those things about Sherie Rene Scott. She is talented (in other roles), no disrespect. But she was a godawful Ursula. Real shock the show flopped, really. Without a good villain, you've cut out half of what makes Disney's The Little Mermaid as good as it is.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

0k, so we disagree on some things. But like I said, I don't think just the villanous aspect was missing, I also don't think any of the drama or magic of the original classic was really made on stage. The best thing about it probably was Sierra Boggess's Ariel. The whole artistic concept of the show was awful. It should have had them in full tails on wires when merpeople. I wish the show had been closer to the film and also like that version of the show they considered with "Wasting Away" and the added incantation for Ursula becoming Vanessa, and actually that Vanessa plot being in at all, and "All Good Things Must End".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The newest trailer for the non-Disney, live-action The Little Mermaid which will be released theatrically on August 17, 2018 is out. It includes an animated sequence that's somewhat reminiscent of Part of Your World.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LfNLtVQqE
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

One word; Plagiarism Deja Vu (*cough, Kimba, cough*)! :P
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

It doesn't remind me about Part of Your World at all. I'm quite excited about this movie, since The Little Mermaid is my favourite childhood fairytale and this looks like a fun new interpretation of it. I'm especially interested in the villain, he looks cool. I don't know why people won't give it a chance. When you read the comments on youtube, it's like, how dare someone other than Disney try to adapt the classic tale :roll:. Some even claim they try to copy Disney due to it being called The Little Mermaid. Yeah, because it was Disney who invented the story and the title :roll:.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote:The newest trailer for the non-Disney, live-action The Little Mermaid which will be released theatrically on August 17, 2018 is out. It includes an animated sequence that's somewhat reminiscent of Part of Your World.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LfNLtVQqE
I'm confused, that shot wasnt in there at all?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That shot was in the very beginning of the trailer.

This movie looks very B movie. Just about every shot and line is somehow low grade.

And this isn't what I'd call The Little Mermaid, but some odd twisted take on it.
Disney's Divinity

That one shot did remind of the Disney film. I do plan to see this TLM just because (I still need to see that 2017 TLM film--the "Tides to the Moon" song in the trailer looks like the only good thing about that film though), but it doesn't look that good... A shame since I wanted it to be better because Mosley and MacLaine were involved. My first--completely random--thought watching the trailer was that they're aware Disney would look for a reason to sue if their film was too close to the Disney version and so they thought they'd be clever and make Dr. Facilier the villain instead. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I expected them to hire a Black actor for Triton and maybe Ursula but it's a surprise they're considering Black actors for the roles of Ariel and Eric. While Beauty and the Beast featured a diverse cast, they didn't change the race of the main couple. I wonder what's causing them to consider this for The Little Mermaid. Could it be the influence of LMM who's an executive producer on the movie?
Our source close to the production has informed us that Disney is looking at people of color for various roles including Ariel, Eric, and Triton.

A name that Disney at one point had interest in is Keke Palmer, however it is not known if Disney had any form of discussions with Palmer or if it was merely interest. Another name floating around the studio is indeed Zendaya. We do know that Ariana Grande which is a popular name amongst many fan casts, is not being considered at the moment.

It should be noted that Disney is considering a bunch of actors for various roles, so whether or not they go with POC, one thing is certain, we will start hearing some news very soon!

Mary Poppins Returns director Rob Marshall is set to helm the film, from a script by Jane Goldman (X-Men: Days Of Future Past). Production on The Little Mermaid is expected to take place in Puerto Rico and Cape Town, Africa. As of right now there is no release date for the film.
Source: https://disneyfilmfacts.com/2018/06/12/ ... e-mermaid/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like that they are going to film in a place that feels warm like the original film. But I'd rather the races of original film characters be kept intact.
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

I'm all here for black Ariel. I always thought this remakes should at least change the races or gender of some characters. But it would be cool if Eric stayed white, or become latino, asian or something. There really isn't enough interracial couples in movies and tv.
Disney's Divinity

I wonder how a black Ariel works when the character’s iconic in part for her bright, red hair. Moreover, making Triton black really hurts the theme/meaning of the film. He’s supposed to be like an old, white patriarchal figure who’s coded as a racist. Eric and/or Ursula being a different race would actually help the themes of the film though, imo, although it's not necessary either.

And maybe it’s just me, but wouldn’t it be nonsensical for underwater characters to be black considering they’re rarely in contact with sunlight? I know, trying to apply logic to fantasy. But hell no to Keke/Zendaya/Ariana. Now I'm really starting to worry this is going to be Brandy's R&H's Cinderella all over again. :roll: TLM is such a simplistic film, but they're clearly determined to find a way to screw it up. I won't be surprised if the movie flops if that's the case.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

I would be okay with Keke. She can sing, and everytime I saw her in some show (Scream Queens, Berlin Station, Grease etc.) she is always a scene stealer.