The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
robster16
Special Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by robster16 »

I'm over this already... two full years of post production?!? WHY?! The actors won't even look like themselves when this releases in theatres... this is absurd!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

That's so far away. Do underwater scenes really take that much time to be completed? How long was Aquaman's post-production? Of course, the delay may not be a VFX issue, but a scheduling issue.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That must be why they're talking about a sequel already, because there's going to be so much time before it's finally released.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Guys, this is a normal release pattern and doesn't have anything to do with potential sequels. Cinderella wrapped December 2013 and was released March 2015. Beauty and the Beast wrapped August 2015 and was released March 2017. Also, there's a whole strategy behind release dates. You have to figure out what else is playing from other studios and where your movie will do the best competition-wise and what makes the most sense. 2022 is already crowded, especially with films that were supposed to come out in 2021. There's a method to the madness.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You're so smart, tsom! I think the date makes perfect sense.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris wrote:How long was Aquaman's post-production?
About a year.
https://www.warnerbros.co.uk/news/artic ... on-aquaman
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

tsom wrote:Guys, this is a normal release pattern and doesn't have anything to do with potential sequels. Cinderella wrapped December 2013 and was released March 2015. Beauty and the Beast wrapped August 2015 and was released March 2017. Also, there's a whole strategy behind release dates. You have to figure out what else is playing from other studios and where your movie will do the best competition-wise and what makes the most sense. 2022 is already crowded, especially with films that were supposed to come out in 2021. There's a method to the madness.
Absolutely. The same thing was with Aladdin and The Lion King.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Mary Poppins Returns also wrapped in July 2017 before being released in December 2018.

For a movie like The Little Mermaid, I imagine there are extensive visual effects. Not just for the scenes underwater and flippers on the merpeople and Ursula's tentacles, but also Flounder, Sebastian, Scuttle and several other animals will likely be computer-generated. Like tsom said, Disney's 2022 is already pretty stacked, so it's understandable why they would choose to place it in 2023 instead. Nostalgia for The Little Mermaid isn't going to die down after a single year, so its box-office will be fine. Covid will also hopefully be far less of a threat at that point.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

I'm definitely not worried for its box office. I'd be happy if it bombed considering how much they've altered things, the same way I rooted for Mulan's failure (and likely will with Hercules, too, since I'm pretty sure the Muses and music have been cut from that film). The only reservation I have is how this film's failure might impact their confidence in the original property. But despite how they mutilated it, I had expected Mulan to do well despite that, since the average moviegoer wouldn't know they'd been tricked until they'd already bought the ticket and watched the movie, only the pandemic and it's horrible press cut into it. Thank God, they deserved every bit of that. So it's the same with TLM. I expect its intake to be around Maleficent-level at least (if not more), or whatever comparative intake Maleficent would've had if the pandemic is still ravaging theaters by that point.

Hercules, on the other hand... The original was not that big of a hit, and even with nostalgia boosting it, I think its chances of being successful were always on the lower end--and that's even if they were actually re-making Hercules instead of attempting another bait-and-switch with a different product than what the audience expected.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm definitely not worried for its box office. I'd be happy if it bombed considering how much they've altered things, the same way I rooted for Mulan's failure (and likely will with Hercules, too, since I'm pretty sure the Muses and music have been cut from that film). The only reservation I have is how this film's failure might impact their confidence in the original property. But despite how they mutilated it, I had expected Mulan to do well despite that, since the average moviegoer wouldn't know they'd been tricked until they'd already bought the ticket and watched the movie, only the pandemic and it's horrible press cut into it. Thank God, they deserved every bit of that. So it's the same with TLM. I expect its intake to be around Maleficent-level at least (if not more), or whatever comparative intake Maleficent would've had if the pandemic is still ravaging theaters by that point.

Hercules, on the other hand... The original was not that big of a hit, and even with nostalgia boosting it, I think its chances of being successful were always on the lower end--and that's even if they were actually re-making Hercules instead of attempting another bait-and-switch with a different product than what the audience expected.
Imagine feeling this threatened by a remake of films you like...

What a sad, little person you are.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Old Fish Tale wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm definitely not worried for its box office. I'd be happy if it bombed considering how much they've altered things, the same way I rooted for Mulan's failure (and likely will with Hercules, too, since I'm pretty sure the Muses and music have been cut from that film). The only reservation I have is how this film's failure might impact their confidence in the original property. But despite how they mutilated it, I had expected Mulan to do well despite that, since the average moviegoer wouldn't know they'd been tricked until they'd already bought the ticket and watched the movie, only the pandemic and it's horrible press cut into it. Thank God, they deserved every bit of that. So it's the same with TLM. I expect its intake to be around Maleficent-level at least (if not more), or whatever comparative intake Maleficent would've had if the pandemic is still ravaging theaters by that point.

Imagine feeling this threatened by a remake of films you like...

Couldn’t agree with you more. Profile pics not necessarily depicting who/how the user is are very apparent in this back-and-forth here
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey, guys, lay off Disney's Divinity! He didn't personally attack anyone and what you're saying is mean and he doesn't deserve it!
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney Duster wrote:Hey, guys, lay off Disney's Divinity! He didn't personally attack anyone and what you're saying is mean and he doesn't deserve it!
He is attacking that which we and others Love in wishing that they would fail. He is of course entitled to his own opinion, but please don’t ruin it for those of us who like it/are looking forward to it. For some of us, this is all that we truly have looked forward to and or is just as significant or more than a lot of other things in our lives especially in comparison to How people like him are treating it. He also may be a little over Irrational towards his feelings with it as the above Has stated, like many others, Might thinking critically enoughAnd seemingly Can’t decide what they truly want from something, in this particular case a remake/reboot whether or not to be too loyal or It’s own thing to the original
Disney's Divinity

Old Fish Tale wrote: Imagine feeling this threatened by a remake of films you like...

:lol: More angry than threatened, but okay. I do like the remakes when they're actually remakes. If they're not going to do it right, they deserve to fail, imo. :)

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you to Duster, that was kind / brave of you.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

No personal attacks, please! I'm not going to remove posts this time around, but if it happens again the offending comments will be deleted without prior notice.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Old Fish Tale wrote: Imagine feeling this threatened by a remake of films you like...

:lol: More angry than threatened, but okay. I do like the remakes when they're actually remakes. If they're not going to do it right, they deserve to fail, imo. :)

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you to Duster, that was kind / brave of you.
If I may ask please, what exactly is the “Right” way To do a remake exactly?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sure thing, Divinity! I gotta stick up for a forum friend!

Patricier21, I know it can be saddening to hear people's opinions you don't like, but everyone must be allowed to express their true feelings as long as they don't personally attack anyone.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:If a sequel does move forward, I highly doubt it'll be based on Return to the Sea. Disney has been trying to distance themselves from the DisneyToon productions in the last few years and we already know that the sequels to the live-action Aladdin and The Lion King won't be based on them. Not to mention, Halle is too young to be playing a mom and if the first movie is successful Disney will want her to be the focus of a sequel and not a new character. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me the remake won't end with a wedding. I think it will end instead with a general celebration similar to that of the Beauty and the Beast remake.
True, but the difference between Simba`s Pride and the other cheapquels is that is has a bigger fanbase than it`s counterparts. It`s been regarded as superior to it`s cheapquel counterparts. Perhaps it`s fanbase isn`t as huge as it`s often made out to be. But it`s still a fanbase, nonetheless. So it`s still somewhat baffling that Disney won`t bother to take consideration to it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The cast will also feature Lorena Andrea as Perla, Kajsa Mohammar as Karina, Jessica Alexander, Russell Balogh, Adrian Christopher, Jeffin Kunjumon and Emily Coates.
Source: https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-the ... 54884.html
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

On the contrary, I cannot imagine wanting a “remake” of a movie I love being done shot-for-shot. The Lion King remake was so bad because the lack of creativity. All changes, for the better or not, are welcome by me because it means they’re actually doing something new, not just mindlessly regurgitating what they’ve seen before. I think it honors the original more to not just copy it. If anything, the more different a remake is, the less chance there is of it “replacing” the original in the minds of viewers. “Rooting” for a movie to fail because it’s doing something new is…a curious mindset to me.