The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by bruno_wbt »

Farerb wrote:
It leads back to my theory that Ariel isn't going to turn into a human for Eric,

Ariel wanted to be human way before she met Eric...
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:It leads back to my theory that Ariel isn't going to turn into a human for Eric, but in order to search for her mother.
But how would that work with the Part of Your World reprise? Didn't they say they were including all of the songs? They wouldn't dare change the lyrics to make it fit, right?
bruno_wbt wrote:Ariel wanted to be human way before she met Eric...
I suppose they could make her learning the truth about her mother be the reason she forges a deal with Ursula instead of Triton destroying the grotto/wanting to be with Eric. Needless to say, that would be horrible idea.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:You don't get it, Duster. They had to be cut to make room for Scuttle's new rap song. :P
:lol: *sigh* I wish this remake was way more faithful to the original film.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The people who make this don't care about that, they care about the superficial online criticism that she did all of that for a MAN.
Sotiris wrote:But how would that work with the Part of Your World reprise? Didn't they say they were including all of the songs? They wouldn't dare change the lyrics to make it fit, right?
All they need to change is "his" to "her".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Such a big change to Ariel's motivation would require lyric changes to Poor Unfortunate Souls too. I'm not sure they'd be willing to push it so far, but now I'm kinda dreading that might be the case. :huh:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Sotiris wrote:You don't get it, Duster. They had to be cut to make room for Scuttle's new rap song. :P
Wait, what? :lol: :lol:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Farerb wrote:
The people who make this don't care about that, they care about the superficial online criticism that she did all of that for a MAN.
I don't think it's superficial. I mean, even you framed the story that way--"Ariel isn't going to turn into a human for Eric."

Anyway, it's true that Ariel was interested in and longed to be a part of the human world before Eric, but there's also no denying Eric is the catalyst for her decision. When F&J first approach her, she says no until they deliberately make her see Eric's face. And Ursula explicitly lures her through the horrible details of the deal she's about to sign by always bringing it back to Eric ("the kiss of TRUE LOVE," which she mocks later; "But you'll have your man!"; making Eric's face appear to her in the cauldron smoke). And the deal itself is all about Eric--she has to get him ASAP or she loses everything. I don't think they need to make it about her finding her mother (and honestly I doubt that will happen), they just need to add a little to the scene to emphasize her interest in the human world is driving her as much as Eric--that she gets legs, her man, escape from her father, the whole shebang--rather than only focusing on the one thing.

For example, when Ariel says, "I'll never see my father and sisters again," they could tack onto Ursula's line a little ("That's right! But you'll have your man? Finally free from your father's undertow, free to go anywhere you want, see anything you like.... Life's full of tough choices, innit?"). It doesn't take changing the scene, really it's just adding a line here or there.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wonder if I, a man, would ever risk my freedom just for the chance of being with the one I loved, but I don't doubt that's possible for a teenage girl or guy. People take feminism too far. It's ok for males or females to do things just for love.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I have slight autism, which may make my behavior seems weird at times, but I often think about things I have read or said on here, and think later I want to reply to them.

Divinity, I would actually want Flotsam and Jetsam in this even if they were electric eels. I feel the electricity doesn't ruin this and make it...un-Little Mermaid-y as much as no eels. That's my opinion on the matter. Also, I wanted to say, you wrote a great bit of dialogue here:
Disney's Divinity wrote:For example, when Ariel says, "I'll never see my father and sisters again," they could tack onto Ursula's line a little ("That's right! But you'll have your man? Finally free from your father's undertow, free to go anywhere you want, see anything you like.... Life's full of tough choices, innit?"). It doesn't take changing the scene, really it's just adding a line here or there.
"Undertow"? That's brilliant! I would add "See the human world you've always longed for" or something. But, like I said, I think Ariel just going after love is fine, and I have a feeling concentrating solely on the love for Eric for the Ursula deal may in fact be needed for a less complicated scene. I mean, yes Ariel wants to be human, but we all know, more than being human, she wants love. Love is really one of the best things in this world after all.
Disney's Divinity

The "undertow" thing came without even thinking--I think it must've popped into my mind to describe Triton-Ariel's relationship because of the song from the series, "The Edge of the Edge of the Sea" (the episode with the giant seahorse, she talks about being free of his undertow).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Well, it's still clever!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Scoring for The Little Mermaid began a couple of weeks ago. By the way, isn't that Marc Shaiman in the photo below? Is he also working on the film?

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CeR63tar4OE/

Here are also a couple of new interviews with Melissa McCarthy:

Melissa McCarthy Dishes On Playing Ursula in Live Action 'The Little Mermaid'
https://www.justjaredjr.com/2022/06/09/ ... e-mermaid/

Melissa McCarthy Says She ‘Burst Out Crying’ When She Heard Halle Bailey’s Voice on ‘Little Mermaid’ Set
https://www.billboard.com/music/music-n ... 235086021/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for those interviews, D82! I love hearing Ursula will be in a giant clam shell, and "all the familiars" will be in the film, I hope that includes Flotsam and Jetsam!

This film is coming out in just about ONE YEAR!!! I'M SO EXCTED!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:By the way, isn't that Marc Shaiman in the photo below? Is he also working on the film?
I sincerely hope Shaiman is only working on the film as an orchestrator or an arranger, because if Menken has been replaced as the score composer, I will be livid!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:By the way, isn't that Marc Shaiman in the photo below? Is he also working on the film?
I sincerely hope Shaiman is only working on the film as an orchestrator or an arranger, because if Menken has been replaced as the score composer, I will be livid!
I mean, this film is already disastrous so what difference would it make at this point?

I doubt it though. That would be beyond disrespectful.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The score was the only thing from this film I was looking forward to :(
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:Thanks for those interviews, D82! I love hearing Ursula will be in a giant clam shell, and "all the familiars" will be in the film, I hope that includes Flotsam and Jetsam!
"All the familiars" sounds odd--I have a feeling she might've meant the polyps.
Sotiris wrote: I sincerely hope Shaiman is only working on the film as an orchestrator or an arranger, because if Menken has been replaced as the score composer, I will be livid!
It's incredible how people like Miranda, Shaiman apparently would like to steal credit for a soundtrack that was made thirty years ago. I guess when you can't come up with anything too great yourself.... At least Pasek & Paul were respectful of Menken despite how obvious it was they were foisted on him after B&tB-LA. It comes across like somebody at Disney just has a problem with Menken, because a lot of these decisions seem to come apropos of nothing. B&tB-LA was massively successful, but they decide to change the way they do things with the next remake. Tangled had also been one of the only hits Disney had had in a decade at the time of its release, and then Menken was fired. It feels personal because it doesn't make any business sense. Tangled is the only film of the Revival with a strong score, imo.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Reading this thread is honestly mind-boggling to me. Some posters here will literally just say anything as if it's a fact. The film is already a "disaster" when we've seen absolutely zero of it? Changing things from the original does not make it a "disaster." Also, are we really trying to say that Lin Manuel Miranda and Marc Shaiman can't come up with their own stuff? The mere (made up, mind you) thought that Menken may be replaced as the writer of the score, and suddenly we're acting like LMM didn't single-handedly write the most successful Broadway show in decades, and Shaiman doesn't have several well-regarded hits under his belt? A joke about "making room for a rap number" is suddenly taken as fact. Menken being the composer of Tangled is being treated as Disney's only musical success in the past 15 years when it's literally been trounced in sales and public opinion by songs from Frozen, Moana, and Encanto. The one point I can kind of see is that, since Beauty and the Beast (2017) was pretty beat-for-beat the original and made tons of money, it's surprising they aren't following a similar track here. BUT, that movie was also not well-reviewed by critics. So I can see them trying to go for something different in order to get better critical reception, since it's already guaranteed to be a financial success no matter what.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, and am usually jumped on for pointing this stuff out, but you all need to relaaaaaaax. Some of you are getting so bent out of shape about literally nothing.
Disney's Divinity

lord-of-sith wrote: Menken being the composer of Tangled is being treated as Disney's only musical success in the past 15 years when it's literally been trounced in sales and public opinion by songs from Frozen, Moana, and Encanto.
What a great mischaracterization of what I said--but I guess when you don't have anything else... As far as I know, none of those soundtracks existed in 2010 and 2011 when Tangled was out and the only big success under their belt at the time. Menken was removed against all logic way before Frozen and especially Encanto ever existed, so I don't think they were responsible for Disney's decision-making.
Changing things from the original does not make it a "disaster."
That's a matter of opinion. And it depends on the scope of the changes--sometimes they become so extreme, it is a disaster.
I'm sure I sound like a broken record, and am usually jumped on for pointing this stuff out, but you all need to relaaaaaaax. Some of you are getting so bent out of shape about literally nothing.
That's ironic, because I often feel like you're the one jumping on people because you don't like what's being said. I mean, most of us are commenting on the news posted, whereas you're commenting on us instead.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:"All the familiars" sounds odd--I have a feeling she might've meant the polyps.
The polyps? I feel like she wouldn't even think of those things since they have a way smaller part than her sidekicks with speaking and acting roles, Flotsam and Jetsam. The "familiars" line even made me think of how she's a witch and witches have familiars which are like their spiritual sidekicks in a way. I doubt she meant it that way either, but I hope she does mean Flotsam and Jetsam.

Lord-of-sith, I do agree it's way to early to call this film a disaster, but like Divinity said, sometimes just knowing about a change that is too extreme is knowing it is a disastrous change.