The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: The reference to Triton and Vanessa has since been removed so I guess it was a mistake.
Or it could be that Disney wanted them to remove it because they were waiting to reveal it themselves. I have a hard time believing People would make a mistake like adding two random celebs to the cast out of the air. Isn't that Skyler Schuler person associated with DisInsider? No offense to them, but haven't they also been wrong about most things lately?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I saw Cats the movie cersion two days ago. I really liked ! :up: :) : I think this movie should use some cast and or crew memmber from Tom Hoppers Cats ! This also being a big budget live action visual effects filled musical.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

DisneyFan97 wrote:I saw Cats the movie cersion two days ago. I really liked ! :up: :) : I think this movie should use some cast and or crew memmber from Tom Hoppers Cats ! This also being a big budget live action visual effects filled musical.
Every association with the live action version of Cats should be avoided at all cost. One of the most dreadfully reviewed big budget movies of all times, by both critics and the public. Cats should only serve as an example of what NOT to do in a movie musical!
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

robster16 wrote:
DisneyFan97 wrote:I saw Cats the movie cersion two days ago. I really liked ! :up: :) : I think this movie should use some cast and or crew memmber from Tom Hoppers Cats ! This also being a big budget live action visual effects filled musical.
Every association with the live action version of Cats should be avoided at all cost. One of the most dreadfully reviewed big budget movies of all times, by both critics and the public. Cats should only serve as an example of what NOT to do in a movie musical!
NOT in my opinion :angry: I really liked :x

Joykiller :cry:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ I loved it, too!

Speaking of dancing,(um, CATS = Dancing to me) I wonder how TLM live action will incorporate dancing, if there will be just glimpses of Eric and Ariel, or if there will be more elaborate dance numbers.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I've avoided Cats so far although I plan on getting it from Redbox when it's released on DVD just to see how laughably bad it is. I'd much rather see the actual musical though.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cats was great on Broadway, and it's quite the experience, but if you just get the recorded stage performance, that is really just about as good. I highly recommend it!
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

DisneyFan97 wrote:
robster16 wrote: Every association with the live action version of Cats should be avoided at all cost. One of the most dreadfully reviewed big budget movies of all times, by both critics and the public. Cats should only serve as an example of what NOT to do in a movie musical!
NOT in my opinion :angry: I really liked :x

Joykiller :cry:
To each his or her own, it was not my intention to offend you or anything, but the general consensus online is that the movie is one of the worst movies of 2019 with dreadful visual effects. Youtube is filled with visual effects artists listing everything that is wrong with how they achieved the effects and even the director sent out a different version of the film to theatres AFTER the movie was already released to improve the visual effects a little (something that very rarely happens). At this point in time a line like "from the same creative team that brought you Cats" would not exactly be positive advertising to the general public... That is all I'm trying to point out...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/d ... ed-visuals
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The creative team that brought you Mary Poppins Returns.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Cats was great on Broadway, and it's quite the experience, but if you just get the recorded stage performance, that is really just about as good. I highly recommend it!
Glad to hear!
farerb wrote:The creative team that brought you Mary Poppins Returns.
Yeah, something tells me that won't be a big box office boost either. Probably they'll say from the makers of the live-action Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.
ImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

To each his or her own, it was not my intention to offend you or anything, but the general consensus online is that the movie is one of the worst movies of 2019 with dreadful visual effects. Youtube is filled with visual effects artists listing everything that is wrong with how they achieved the effects and even the director sent out a different version of the film to theatres AFTER the movie was already released to improve the visual effects a little (something that very rarely happens). At this point in time a line like "from the same creative team that brought you Cats" would not exactly be positive advertising to the general public... That is all I'm trying to point out...

Okey, But can't they at least cast Dame Judie Dench in an uupcomig fantsy movie where she gets to sing ? That's all i am askining of Disney :roll: Dench is such great singer. But that talant is hardly ever showcased in her movie roles :( It really quite a shame ! :(
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan97 wrote:

Okey, But can't they at least cast Dame Judie Dench in an uupcomig fantsy movie where she gets to sing ? That's all i am askining of Disney :roll: Dench is such great singer. But that talant is hardly ever showcased in her movie roles :( It really quite a shame ! :(
Wasn't Judi Dench supposed to star in the musical version of Cats and she never got the chance until the film version? I heard that she said she was born to play this role but that might have just been Ricky Gervais making that up to build to that very crude joke about her.
ImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
DisneyFan97 wrote: Okey, But can't they at least cast Dame Judie Dench in an uupcomig fantsy movie where she gets to sing ? That's all i am askining of Disney :roll: Dench is such great singer. But that talant is hardly ever showcased in her movie roles :( It really quite a shame ! :(
Wasn't Judi Dench supposed to star in the musical version of Cats and she never got the chance until the film version? I heard that she said she was born to play this role but that might have just been Ricky Gervais making that up to build to that very crude joke about her.
You are party right. Dench was suposed to in the original London production. But not in the role of of the Leader of the Juliice Cats Old Deuteronomy which she plats in the movie But as the female lead. Dench was of course much younger in 81 than she is Today.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan97 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Wasn't Judi Dench supposed to star in the musical version of Cats and she never got the chance until the film version? I heard that she said she was born to play this role but that might have just been Ricky Gervais making that up to build to that very crude joke about her.
You are party right. Dench was suposed to in the original London production. But not in the role of of the Leader of the Juliice Cats Old Deuteronomy which she plats in the movie But as the female lead. Dench was of course much younger in 81 than she is Today.
Poor Judi but I'm glad that she at least enjoyed starring in Cats and finally getting to somewhat realize a dream of hers. And I'm glad she has fans like you who enjoyed the film.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would think Judi Dench is at a fine age to play Grizabella now, though...?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Disney Duster wrote:I would think Judi Dench is at a fine age to play Grizabella now, though...?
Am not sure How the actrsss who plays Grizabella on Broadway usually are ?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
DisneyFan97 wrote: You are party right. Dench was suposed to in the original London production. But not in the role of of the Leader of the Juliice Cats Old Deuteronomy which she plats in the movie But as the female lead. Dench was of course much younger in 81 than she is Today.
Poor Judi but I'm glad that she at least enjoyed starring in Cats and finally getting to somewhat realize a dream of hers. And I'm glad she has fans like you who enjoyed the film.
Dame Judi Dench and the Songs themself were the highlight of Cats in my opinion.

I miss her in Bond :cry:

Spoiler Alert
Her M was killed in Skyfall :(
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think a lot of Grizabella's are played by middle-aged women, but in my opinion Grizabella is such an old cat she could be played by an elderly woman.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Grizabella is portrayed as a cat well past her prime, and thus in reality the character is "elderly." However, barely any actress over the age of 50 could pull off the vocal acrobatics needed to sing "Memory." It requires so much power and high belting, I doubt anyone the "appropriate" age (let's say 70+) except maybe Patti LuPone or Bernadette Peters could do it. Even Betty Buckley's performances of the song in the past decade lack the power and vocal skill the song requires.

Also, where is this revisionist history coming from that Judi Dench A) is a great singer, and B) needs a vehicle to showcase her voice? Cats was the opportunity for her to show her voice (she had multiple songs) and she barely croaked out a whisper most of the time. I don't remember thinking her voice was great in Nine either. She's a fabulous actress, so she manages to sell a song and not look embarrassing, but let's not pretend she's any kind of actual singer. In her defense though, Tom Hooper is a menace when it comes to directing songs. He seems really afraid to let the actors utilize their full voices beyond a whisper sing. Still, Dench barely carried a tune in her songs, it was mostly speak-singing. She's 85, it's okay :lol:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I still can't believe the guy who made The King's Speech, Les Miserables, and The Danish Girl was responsible for Cats lol.
ImageImage