The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Dumezweni gave an interview where she talked about watching Halle and Jonah on set as Ariel and Eric and it’s been bugging me because I’m not sure why they’d be on set together if she was playing Ariel’s mother. It seems highly unlikely, although not impossible, that she’d be on-set for scenes she wasn’t involved in. I was actually thinking about this on my way to work this morning, and the crazy idea I came up with then was that maybe Ariel’s mother left Triton for a life on land. After all, if modern Disney shirks away from “Love at First Sight,” maybe a better impetus for Ariel’s decision to go to land is to find her mother... “Part of Your World” could become a song about a daughter wanting to spend time with her mother on land... it would also be a great justification for Triton’s hatred of landfolk... But I suppose Dumezweni could be playing Carlotta, or some other character. Time will tell I guess!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

The Woke Mermaid.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Hopefully not..
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Dumezweni gave an interview where she talked about watching Halle and Jonah on set as Ariel and Eric and it’s been bugging me because I’m not sure why they’d be on set together if she was playing Ariel’s mother. It seems highly unlikely, although not impossible, that she’d be on-set for scenes she wasn’t involved in. I was actually thinking about this on my way to work this morning, and the crazy idea I came up with then was that maybe Ariel’s mother left Triton for a life on land. After all, if modern Disney shirks away from “Love at First Sight,” maybe a better impetus for Ariel’s decision to go to land is to find her mother... “Part of Your World” could become a song about a daughter wanting to spend time with her mother on land... it would also be a great justification for Triton’s hatred of landfolk... But I suppose Dumezweni could be playing Carlotta, or some other character. Time will tell I guess!
I’ve always been confused why people see it this way. Ariel had her entire cove of human items before she ever laid eyes on Eric. I always saw it as he was simply a means to make her dream, which stems out of an earnest youthful curiosity, a reality. Although it’s not as much of a “save each other” situation like Aladdin, in a sense, Eric does help her achieve her dreams of exploring the human world. He’s just a bonus and a reason to possibly stay where she loves.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Dumezweni gave an interview where she talked about watching Halle and Jonah on set as Ariel and Eric and it’s been bugging me because I’m not sure why they’d be on set together if she was playing Ariel’s mother. It seems highly unlikely, although not impossible, that she’d be on-set for scenes she wasn’t involved in. I was actually thinking about this on my way to work this morning, and the crazy idea I came up with then was that maybe Ariel’s mother left Triton for a life on land. After all, if modern Disney shirks away from “Love at First Sight,” maybe a better impetus for Ariel’s decision to go to land is to find her mother... “Part of Your World” could become a song about a daughter wanting to spend time with her mother on land... it would also be a great justification for Triton’s hatred of landfolk... But I suppose Dumezweni could be playing Carlotta, or some other character. Time will tell I guess!
That does sound interesting... I kind of hope not, but it could work, I guess. It makes sense they would do that considering they added a lot about Belle's mother and Jasmine's mother to those remakes. It'd be interesting if Ariel's mother was merged with the Carlotta character (Carlotta being the closest to a maternal figure in the original)--as in she ended up on land and employed herself there since it was nearest to where she surfaced, ending up high up the chain after so many years. It would be kind of cool really, since she would know Eric more than Ariel that way and would know he is a good man herself to approve of Ariel's marriage. That way, she'd also have acted as maternal figure to him, too, before becoming his mother-in-law. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I was actually thinking about this on my way to work this morning, and the crazy idea I came up with then was that maybe Ariel’s mother left Triton for a life on land. After all, if modern Disney shirks away from “Love at First Sight,” maybe a better impetus for Ariel’s decision to go to land is to find her mother... “Part of Your World” could become a song about a daughter wanting to spend time with her mother on land... it would also be a great justification for Triton’s hatred of landfolk...
No offense, but I think that's a horrible idea. It would radically change Ariel's characterization and "Part of Your World" would need new lyrics for it to make any sense.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

No offense taken, I’m not married to the idea, although I must admit I kinda hope I’m right—but only because it’s like a guessing game to me.

TLM is my favorite animated Disney movie, but I don’t think anyone would argue that WDAS would ever make a movie like it today. TLM has had more criticism lobbed at it than any of the other Fab 4 of the Renaissance— which might be why it is the last of them to receive a new adaptation. I mean, okay sure the underwater stuff is probably pretty challenging to film— but a “live action” TLK before TLM?!?

So many of these live action remakes have been thinly veiled apologia for the animated originals. And whether it’s lampshaded in the original movie or not, most people think of Ariel as a character who gives up everything she knows to chase a man. Personally, I’m preparing myself for what may be some pretty big changes to the plot and the characters.

My big question: “Will Ariel still lose her voice?” I think, yes, it’s too big of a part to leave out. But somebody will chastise her for giving up her voice— be it Sebastian... or her newly revealed mother???
Disney's Divinity

I know in the musical, they have Ursula make a point about how Ariel underestimates the power of her voice and what it means to be silenced in "I Want the Good Times Back," so, yeah, I expect there will be a comment somewhere in the film on that point.

I think TLM and Aladdin have often alternated back and forth as far as the one that is the "least" of the four in Disney's eyes. For example, in the past TLM was to have a 3D theatrical re-release after B&TB and TLK rather than Aladdin. Aladdin sort of lost some of its shine over time--I think performing mediocre on DVD or Blu-ray?--until the big success of both the Broadway show and the live-action remake proved people still do love that property. TLM, on the opposite end, flopped on Broadway--unexpectedly to Disney, I think. It's the only one of the four that did so, which had more to do with the way the property was adapted, imo. Hopefully they'll try again in the years to come with someone better in charge of it and it redeems itself there. I think that factored into it being put off so long as much as the fact it's underwater. I think it would be damaging for how they'll market the film in the future if the remake flops, too. :( Which is why a lot of the choices are kind of enraging. It's like the property is going to get a bad wrap even though it never even got a fair shake in the first place with both the musical and the re-make changing so much about it.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Actors that aren’t in the actual scene can be on set watching said scene getting filmed. For example, when it was reported that Lily James’s wedding dress caught on fire during shootung, it was noted that Ben Chaplain, who played Cinderella’s Father, was on set during the incident. I thought it meant Cinderella’s Father didnt die in this version and happened to be a guest at her wedding. In the end, it turned out that the actor was just on set during the wedding scene shoot.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

As I said, it’s unlikely, not impossible that actors are on-set for scenes they aren’t in. But I think it especially unlikely in the age of Covid-19. There are many stories about how strict protocols have been in moviemaking during the pandemic. They are probably also very protective of their young stars who may or may not be vaccinated.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Do we think that we'll get a first Little Mermaid teaser attached to Luca when it comes out next week? As both movies have a strong connection to the sea and the promotional machine with a first glimpse at Ariel strongly anticipated it feels like the right time to do it now. And what do we think or expect to see? I'm guessing vague footage which shows very little, perhaps reminiscent of the opening of the original animated classic with footage of under water life and then all of a sudden mer folk swimming into view with the final shot being Ariel in her cave right before she starts singing Part of Your World, with just a few piano notes of the song as the title appears on screen.
Disney's Divinity

I expect just a shot of Ariel in shadow swimming towards the surface, perhaps with a POYW instrumental in the background, possibly with F&J's glowing eyes appearing behind her and a cackle from Ursula as the logo appears.

That reminds me of the advertisement for the Diamond release that I've always loved--the ending where Ariel starts singing on the rock, crossed with Ursula laughing and Triton's "He's a human, you're a mermaid!" and ending on the epic splash. To me, that was such a perfectly-done ad because it touched on all the points.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

robster16 wrote:Do we think that we'll get a first Little Mermaid teaser attached to Luca when it comes out next week? As both movies have a strong connection to the sea and the promotional machine with a first glimpse at Ariel strongly anticipated it feels like the right time to do it now. And what do we think or expect to see? I'm guessing vague footage which shows very little, perhaps reminiscent of the opening of the original animated classic with footage of under water life and then all of a sudden mer folk swimming into view with the final shot being Ariel in her cave right before she starts singing Part of Your World, with just a few piano notes of the song as the title appears on screen.
There's not going to be anything, the film's not even in post production and Luca won't even be screened at theaters.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

farerb wrote:
robster16 wrote:Do we think that we'll get a first Little Mermaid teaser attached to Luca when it comes out next week? As both movies have a strong connection to the sea and the promotional machine with a first glimpse at Ariel strongly anticipated it feels like the right time to do it now. And what do we think or expect to see? I'm guessing vague footage which shows very little, perhaps reminiscent of the opening of the original animated classic with footage of under water life and then all of a sudden mer folk swimming into view with the final shot being Ariel in her cave right before she starts singing Part of Your World, with just a few piano notes of the song as the title appears on screen.
There's not going to be anything, the film's not even in post production and Luca won't even be screened at theaters.
All the studio shots have been finished and I'm sure all that footage is already in some sort of post production. If only to get effects shots started. Filming ends somewhere in August and the suspected release date is April or May 2022, unless they push it back to an August release.

We got the first teaser trailer look at Beauty and the Beast on may 23rd 2016 with the film released the 17th of march 2017, nearly a year later. So with that logic and a highly anticipated project like this in mind a teaser trailer in the next couple of weeks wouldn't be extremely weird, right?

On the other hand the first teaser trailer for The Lion King came 8 months prior to release. And Aladdin's first teaser trailer came 7 months before it's release. So maybe we'll have to wait a little longer. I just think that with a project that is so highly anticipated that they want to get some type of buzz going early...
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'd love it if they released a teaser for this with Luca.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I doubt we'll get a teaser so soon, especially with the movie not finished yet. I think a teaser could be attached to Encanto or West Side Story.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Her hair. :( Why would they go with such a direction for the hair? Isn't Marshall supposed to have good taste or something?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

It's just a rehearsal, but I think it's her final hairstyle. I don't know what's so bad about it. We've seen a lot of fanart of this Ariel with dreadlocks. It seems most people were expecting what we ended up getting.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:Her hair. :( Why would they go with such a direction for the hair? Isn't Marshall supposed to have good taste or something?
I wouldn’t be shocked if they CGI color it. Actually dying it would ruin her locs forever and she’d most likely have to cut them off. My guess is they had her lighten them for filming purposes to see them better and then will alter the color some for the film. Though I could be wrong.