The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

I'm glad you liked those interviews, Disney Duster. :) Here's another one, though there's no new info in it.

Also, apparently, Halle Bailey is working on the film again, probably doing ADR, which is like the actors dubbing themselves in some parts to improve the audio quality or change some dialogue.

Source: https://twitter.com/HalleBailey/status/ ... 1107941377 (via Instagram)
Sotiris wrote:I sincerely hope Shaiman is only working on the film as an orchestrator or an arranger, because if Menken has been replaced as the score composer, I will be livid!
I don't think Menken has been replaced, though it's a bit weird he wasn't in the photo. As for Shaiman, could he just have dropped by to see them work since he and Rob Marshall are probably friends? Or maybe he's an orchestrator or arranger, as you said. I've seen on IMDb that he has worked as the latter on several projects.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

D82 wrote:I don't think Menken has been replaced, though it's a bit weird he wasn't in the photo. As for Shaiman, could he just have dropped by to see them work since he and Rob Marshall are probably friends? Or maybe he's an orchestrator or arranger, as you said. I've seen on IMDb that he has worked as the latter on several projects.
The truth is none of us know why he's there. Maybe Shaiman was filling in for Menken that day, because he was busy working on the Disenchanted or Spellbound scores or has a theatre commitment right now, possibly in New York. Alan Menken always has a bunch of projects going at the same time. Normally, the instrumental score is one of the last things recorded for a film, so this seems surprisingly early to be working on the Little Mermaid score, even if this is a musical.

Interesting enough, I just learned Menken has his own conductor who has worked with him for years, Michael Korasin. Again, he could be busy on those other Menken projects right now.

But this is all just speculation. For all we know, Shaiman could get nothing more than a "special thanks" credit on the finished film.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disney Duster wrote:The polyps? I feel like she wouldn't even think of those things since they have a way smaller part than her sidekicks with speaking and acting roles, Flotsam and Jetsam. The "familiars" line even made me think of how she's a witch and witches have familiars which are like their spiritual sidekicks in a way. I doubt she meant it that way either, but I hope she does mean Flotsam and Jetsam.
The only reason I suppose that might be the case is because "all the familiars" feels like a weird description for two characters. Perhaps they gave her a bunch of eel familiars who do her bidding in the film rather than two specific, named eels as in the original film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:The truth is none of us know why he's there. Maybe Shaiman was filling in for Menken that day, because he was busy working on the Disenchanted or Spellbound scores or has a theatre commitment right now, possibly in New York. Alan Menken always has a bunch of projects going at the same time. Normally, the instrumental score is one of the last things recorded for a film, so this seems surprisingly early to be working on the Little Mermaid score, even if this is a musical.

Interesting enough, I just learned Menken has his own conductor who has worked with him for years, Michael Korasin. Again, he could be busy on those other Menken projects right now.

But this is all just speculation. For all we know, Shaiman could get nothing more than a "special thanks" credit on the finished film.
Shaiman filling in for Menken sounds like a possible explanation. Michael Kosarin's name definitely rings a bell. If he's Menken's regular conductor, I don't think Shaiman is doing that job. Regarding the score being recorded so early, they finished filming the movie a long time ago, so I don't find it that strange. They just have a lot of time to work on the post-production since the release date is so far away.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for that, too, D82! I didn't know Melissa's little backstory with The Little Mermaid or how scared and then happy she was with her song!
Disney's Divinity wrote:The only reason I suppose that might be the case is because "all the familiars" feels like a weird description for two characters. Perhaps they gave her a bunch of eel familiars who do her bidding in the film rather than two specific, named eels as in the original film.
Oh, I was thinking by "all the familiars" she meant all the familiar characters from the film are in this, including Flotsam and Jetsam.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

lord-of-sith wrote:Reading this thread is honestly mind-boggling to me. Some posters here will literally just say anything as if it's a fact. The film is already a "disaster" when we've seen absolutely zero of it? Changing things from the original does not make it a "disaster." Also, are we really trying to say that Lin Manuel Miranda and Marc Shaiman can't come up with their own stuff? The mere (made up, mind you) thought that Menken may be replaced as the writer of the score, and suddenly we're acting like LMM didn't single-handedly write the most successful Broadway show in decades, and Shaiman doesn't have several well-regarded hits under his belt? A joke about "making room for a rap number" is suddenly taken as fact. Menken being the composer of Tangled is being treated as Disney's only musical success in the past 15 years when it's literally been trounced in sales and public opinion by songs from Frozen, Moana, and Encanto. The one point I can kind of see is that, since Beauty and the Beast (2017) was pretty beat-for-beat the original and made tons of money, it's surprising they aren't following a similar track here. BUT, that movie was also not well-reviewed by critics. So I can see them trying to go for something different in order to get better critical reception, since it's already guaranteed to be a financial success no matter what.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, and am usually jumped on for pointing this stuff out, but you all need to relaaaaaaax. Some of you are getting so bent out of shape about literally nothing.
I truly feel sorry for Sotiris and Disney's Divinity as it always feel like their Lin-Manuel Miranda hate is seconds away from setting them both on fire.

There are countless interviews about this remake's soundtrack with Alan Menken or focused on collaborating with Alan Menken. But because Marc Shaiman (who I'm sure has become a dear friend to Rob Marshall) was probably invited to a recording session, it means the film has been hijacked.
Disney's Divinity

:lol: Tell that to the Moana, Encanto, and In the Heights film soundtracks I own.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Releasing Three Books Centered Around The Live-Action ‘The Little Mermaid’
https://thedisinsider.com/2022/06/21/di ... e-mermaid/
The first book is titled The Little Mermaid: Guide to Merfolk and here’s the synopsis:
“From Prince Eric’s royal library, this beautiful guidebook deep dives into the legends and lore surrounding the mermaids and their world from The Little Mermaid live-action film. Learn more about the Seven Seas and the mermaid princesses who rule them, discover stories of sirens and sea witches and come to know the legend of the coral moon. With gorgeous full-color illustrations throughout, this book is perfect for any reader who can’t get enough of mermaids.”

What’s interesting is that the synopsis mentions ‘The Seven Seas and the mermaid princesses that rule them”. It was a popular theory that each of Triton’s daughters would represent each one of the seven seas.

The second book is titled The Little Mermaid: Against the Tide and follows six of the Daughters of Triton trying to save her sister Mala from a mysterious abduction. The synopsis also points out that, when the mermaid princesses turn 15 years old, they become the protectors of their own ocean territory. Another interesting detail is that Ariel’s sisters might get different names in the remake. We told you weeks ago that actresses Lorena Andrea and Kajsa Mohammar will be playing Perla and Karina respectively, and they appear to be two of Ariel’s sisters. Also, actress Simone Ashley will be playing a mysterious character and we wouldn’t be surprised if it was Mala, one of the Daughters of Triton.

As one Twitter user points out, the names Perla (Spanish), Karina (Scandinavian), and Mala (Indian) could be the names of three of the sisters and each one could be representing the Mediterranean, the Arctic, and the Indian seas.

The news could potentially mean that, if they changed the names of the daughters, they could totally be changing the lyrics of the song ‘Daughters of Triton’, but we should wait and see what happens.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's the synopsis for the tie-in prequel novel The Little Mermaid: Against the Tide. The Amazon page that The DisInsider linked got deleted.
An original novel written by New York Times best-selling author J. Elle inspired by Disney upcoming live action reimagining of The Little Mermaid.

After the death of Ariel’s mother, the queen of the sea, the seven daughters of King Triton have grown estranged at best. It’s been years since Ariel’s older sisters have visited home. But this year’s Coral Moon is fast approaching, and it’s a special one for Ariel. Finally fifteen, she will be dubbed the Protector of her very own ocean territory as is tradition, and her sisters have agreed to visit for the celebration.

But the ceremony is halted when Mala, one of the most renowned daughters of Triton, is abducted. The only clue to where she might have been taken is a hastily scribbled seaweed note, which says, “What could have saved Mother could save me, too.” To rescue Mala, Ariel must work together with her siblings, traveling to various seas, outsmarting dangerous ocean creatures, and delving into forbidden waters to find the truth of what happened to their mother. But as Ariel and her sisters begin uncovering new secrets about their family and their kingdom, Ariel will have to face the loss of a mother she never had a chance to know and discover what it means to be both a good sister and a strong leader.

And the clock is ticking, because on the day of the festival, when the moon turns a true shade of coral, her sister will be lost, like her mother, forever.
Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/611 ... le-mermaid
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Some thoughts on this news.

The fact it's referred to as a reimagining in the official description instead of a remake is not a good sign.

The name change of Ariel's sisters is very disappointing. Not only having all their names start with an 'A' was a neat idea, but more importantly, it means the song "Daughters of Trition" was either changed or cut. It's more likely it got cut given how the sisters don't live together here. The worst about this is that this name change serves no narrative purpose. It's just change for the sake of it.

Has Ariel's mom really passed away? The fact Ariel's trying to "fnd the truth of what happened to their mother" is perhaps an indication there will be a twist and she'll still be alive. Or maybe she really is gone because of the Coral Moon? Is the curse/legend of the Coral Moon responsible for her disappearance?
Disney's Divinity

Well, at least "reimagining" is more honest because this certainly ain't a remake, that's for sure. But reimagining is still a copout--a reimagining would be a new adaptation of the fairy tale altogether, with new names, character looks / descriptions / stories, storyline, etc.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Apparently, LMM is a fan of Ariel's Beginning. Is that why there's such a focus on Ariel's mom in the remake?

https://twitter.com/lin_manuel/status/1 ... 4580484097
Disney's Divinity

Well, Ariel's Beginning made the whole history of her mother being killed by humans being the reason Triton hates humans a part of the mythos, so I'm not surprised if it was brought into the remake (much like the musical making Ursula and Triton siblings has been). I suppose if she turned out to be alive, that could instead be the reason Triton hates humans (because his wife left him and went on land or whatever).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Simone Ashley: So I’m excited to be doing things like that. And obviously “Little Mermaid,” that I got before “Bridgerton.” So it’s a very small role, but I’m excited to see that movie coming out next year. But yeah, there’s a lot of stuff within the movie space and in the fashion space that’s yet to be announced this year that I’m very excited about.

Q: What role is it in “Little Mermaid”? Is it a role I would know or is it like they created a new character?

Simone Ashley: They created like an ensemble is all I can say. People weren’t supposed to know that I’m in it, but I think it got leaked. So that’s all.

Q: And you’ve already shot it, right?

Simone Ashley: Yes. So I got the call for “Bridgerton” actually when I was filming it. Which was a very memorable experience.
Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... esentation
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

It's Back :wave:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Finally! Let`s hope the server won`t crash again soon.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The New Little Mermaid: How Halle Bailey Found Her Voice and Defied Haters by Creating Her Own Ariel
https://variety.com/2022/film/features/ ... 235336668/

In other news, there was a test screening and this is what someone posted:
-MOST OF THE VFX ARE NO WHERE NEAR FINISHED, THE SHOTS THAT ARE FINISHED OR CLOSE TO FINISHED LOOK REALLY GREAT.

- THE ANIMALS ARE NOT REALISTIC LIKE LION KING, THEY ARE MORE ANIMATED, SIMILAR TO THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST OBJECTS. NOT SUPER REALISTIC NOT SUPER CARTOONISH. THEY HAVE EMOTION AND LOOK GOOD.

-SEBASTIAN HAS A REALLY FUNNY RAP MOMENT.

-THE ITALY SARDINIA SHOTS ARE BEAUTIFUL, SPECIALLY SCENES WITH ERIC AND ARIEL. VERY CINEMATIC.

-HALLE'S VOICE AND SONGS SOUND INCREDIBLE AND VERY SIMILAR TO JODI BENSON'S VERSION OF ARIEL.

AT THE MOMENT THE MOVIE IS REALLY LONG BUT THAT'S PROBABLY GOING TO CHANGE ONCE FINISHED.

New Daughters of Triton names:
Mala
Karina
India
Caspia
Perla
Tameka
Disney's Divinity

No offense to her, but this isn't on level with Anika Noni Rose's Tiana. Tiana is actually in the Disney Princess line and will be remembered forever; the live-action remakes will not be, as much as I like Naomi Scott's Jasmine. I don't believe Bailey has haters though, this is just a fluff piece by Disney using their own self-created controversy to advertise the movie. Now Miranda, on the other hand...

So she sings POYW (Reprise) an octave higher than the original... If she's really that talented, she could have done it the way it's supposed to be instead of having it changed to suit her--Benson had the vocal chops to sing it higher if that's what Ashman had wanted. Reminds me of those conflicting statements in the Hercules thread a year or two back when there was some Broadway actor medley on GMA during the COVID lockdowns, about how some actor who played Hercules on stage said he had the right voice for Hercules but that the song had to be changed because he couldn't hit certain notes or something? So they're making a film version of The Color Purple stageshow?! How exciting! I don't know if Fantasia Barrino originated the main role on Broadway or not, but her version of "I'm Here" will be hard to top for me.

I'm sure Bailey'll be fine, at least better than Lily James and the other two (Mia & Elle) who played Alice and Aurora, even if her acting is bland. I'm glad it was her and not Zendaya. Keke Palmer would've been better than Zendaya, too, but I'm glad they didn't go with Keke either and maybe it turned out for the best since Palmer is in Nope. Bailey comes across likable and sweet, unlike that other actress in the Snow White remake who seems much more egotistical.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm sure Bailey'll be fine, at least better than Lily James and the other two (Mia & Elle) who played Alice and Aurora, even if her acting is bland. I'm glad it was her and not Zendaya. Keke Palmer would've been better than Zendaya, too, but I'm glad they didn't go with Keke either and maybe it turned out for the best since Palmer is in Nope. Bailey comes across likable and sweet, unlike that other actress in the Snow White remake who seems much more egotistical.
Agreed. I`ve probably said this before, but I`ve always thought that both Mia Wazikowska and Elle Fanning are bland. Both lacks charisma in every way. At least Mia was tolerable in the first movie, but completely dull and boring in the sequel. And Elle Fanning was a total miscast in every sense, for looking too young, too average looking and not to mention bland.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:New Daughters of Triton names:
Mala
Karina
India
Caspia
Perla
Tameka
That was revealed by a fan who apparently obtained a copy not meant for sale of the prequel novel "Against the Tide". Here's some more info shared by the same person: https://imgur.com/a/T1vIEnG (Source: liveactionariel)