The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@robster: No offense, but instagram would take me an hour to load properly--if it even works at all (and sometimes it hasn't worked for me in the past). That's why I couldn't comment. I wouldn't have commented if my reaction were negative anyway though, since it's your fanart. :lol:

@Redadoodles: They may have said that at some point. Either way, I don't have to like it.

Scales that far up will look stupid. I've never liked these weird things that people who make fanart often do, with these overdone bra-snaps or little shimmery see-through fabrics floating around the body, always with a bunch of beads and that kind of thing. It's just dumb and oftentimes gaudy-looking to me; they might as well dump a box of glitter on top of everyone while they're at it. But I guess it's something I could've seen meshing with the look of the Broadway show, where everything was overdone and gaudy. I guess you need someone with taste in charge to avoid these kinds of things, someone who knows the meaning of simplistic or class.

I wonder if making her more "conservative" is to appease all the rightwing groups, Islamic countries, China, etc. who expressed outrage about Ariel over the years because a woman shouldn't be showing so much skin? :lol: Disney... Progressive for promotional purposes, but never quite so much in reality.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I really like that picture of Halle Bailey, but I don't think it's her Ariel costume. I really can't see much details, because of the way the photograph was taken. Meanwhile, I think there's a great possibility the movie will be released next year, between May and August. What do you guys think?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I wonder if making her more "conservative" is to appease all the rightwing groups, Islamic countries, China, etc. who expressed outrage about Ariel over the years because a woman shouldn't be showing so much skin?
You're forgetting that liberals are also against women in film showing skin and have always criticized Ariel as an example of sexualization and objectification of female characters in media. If Disney is pandering to a group, it's to them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

It's true that they often cater to the far left, but they do also do things for the right, too, usually when it comes to LGBT or if it concerns a particular market like China's. I've never thought of Ariel as sexualized since all the underwater characters are similarly uncovered in that film, but I do think it's somewhat true of Jasmine and Pocahontas.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:It's true that they often cater to the far left, but they do also do things for the right, too, usually when it comes to LGBT or if it concerns a particular market like China's.
Sure, I was referring to the changes for The Little Mermaid remake in particular.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Halle Bailey talks a bit about the film in a new interview:
“It has definitely been a whirlwind of an experience,” the performer says with a shy laugh when describing her time in London, and now Italy, filming the highly anticipated The Little Mermaid. The adaptation, directed by Rob Marshall, is intended to stay true to the 1989 story, where young Ariel makes a deal with a sea witch. In order to fill her need to discover and experience a world she doesn’t know, even just for a moment—on land—Ariel agrees to trade her beautiful voice for legs to walk and dance amongst the humans. Halle will star alongside Jonah Hauer-King as Prince Eric, Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, and Javier Bardem as King Triton, with Daveed Diggs, Jacob Tremblay, and Awkwafina as the voices of Sebastian, Flounder, and Scuttle respectively.

While the feature’s release date has not yet been announced, it’s not difficult to picture Halle as the young mermaid princess. Save for the magical tail, they both share their curiosity for the unknown and their need to experience life up to its fullest moments. The actor shares, “I really connected with how Ariel feels. She just wants to discover something new. She wants to see a whole different world that has never been introduced to her before.”
Source: https://flaunt.com/content/halle-bailey ... experience
Disney's Divinity

The adaptation, directed by Rob Marshall, is intended to stay true to the 1989 story
That gave me a good, long laugh.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Yeah, there'll probably be a lot of changes.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm sure of it. Most likely a lot of unnecessary backstories.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Is Keeping a Sequel to ‘The Little Mermaid’ on the Table
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/09/07/di ... the-table/
Disney's Divinity

It sounds like nearly everything gets a sequel these days now they have a streaming service to pimp. I'd much rather hear news about Raya's sequel than one for this. But maybe the horrible TPTB in charge of running this into the ground could manage Return to the Sea quality? Well, that might be expecting too much still. :wink:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I can’t wait to not watch that. It’s impressive how uninteresting Disney’s choices are these days. Maybe the people running Marvel should get a swing at live-action Disney because all this they’re doing just isn’t it.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

PatrickvD wrote:I can’t wait to not watch that. It’s impressive how uninteresting Disney’s choices are these days. Maybe the people running Marvel should get a swing at live-action Disney because all this they’re doing just isn’t it.
Well if you do or do you not want Disney and or anything else in business/anything else in relevantly similar terms and fundamentals to do or not to do what do you want from them, then always truly vote with your dollar, or not. If you want more from something like say jungle Cruise, Which is already getting a sequelBut still, then do things like see it as many times in theatres as you can, all Not on Cheap night So As to spend more money on it, And spend as much money on as much merchandise directly related to it as possible such as buying it’s Home media Blu-ray, 4K Blu-ray, DVD, iTunes or other digital buying etc. in cases like this also buy it on premium access/pay-per-view, again it’s other merchandise related such as jungle Cruise little golden book, And even those Disney parks presents jungle Cruise and jungle Cruise animal books etc. any kind of book toy or other merchandise etc. that you can find, including the rewards on the movie insiders even if you’re only using points to buy them. Watching them or other related movies or whatever else etc. on TV or Disney+/whatever streaming service it’s on Will also always help in viewership popularity. Doing creative things and talking about them on social media such as Twitter, Making YouTube videos about them etc. will also always help. Spreading the word and talking about it To as many people as you can Encourage/tell them to do the same as well will also always truly help :-)

Alternatively, if you don’t want them to keep doing the same kind of thing, then just completely avoid them and do not Even mention it, or if it comes up, express how you Truly feel about it
Like you have done so here, or alternatively to that, make videos etc. explaining why you do not like it and why it shouldn’t be happening etc. :-)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If a sequel does move forward, I highly doubt it'll be based on Return to the Sea. Disney has been trying to distance themselves from the DisneyToon productions in the last few years and we already know that the sequels to the live-action Aladdin and The Lion King won't be based on them. Not to mention, Halle is too young to be playing a mom and if the first movie is successful Disney will want her to be the focus of a sequel and not a new character. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me the remake won't end with a wedding. I think it will end instead with a general celebration similar to that of the Beauty and the Beast remake.
Disney's Divinity

I was joking.

Anyway, if they're going to make a sequel for TLM (before the first film has even succeeded), then why don't they just go ahead and make a B&tB-LA 2 while they're at it? TLM's story is just as closed off at the end as B&tB's, so if that was their reason, it's sort of moot now they're obliterating TLM as it is.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Personally, I would welcome a Beauty and the Beast sequel. It makes much more sense than a prequel about Gaston and LeFou, to be honest.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Sotiris wrote:If a sequel does move forward, I highly doubt it'll be based on Return to the Sea. Disney has been trying to distance themselves from the DisneyToon productions in the last few years and we already know that the sequels to the live-action Aladdin and The Lion King won't be based on them. Not to mention, Halle is too young to be playing a mom and if the first movie is successful Disney will want her to be the focus of a sequel and not a new character. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me the remake won't end with a wedding. I think it will end instead with a general celebration similar to that of the Beauty and the Beast remake.
In all fairness, the animated one is overall a general celebration Too
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Sotiris wrote:Disney Is Keeping a Sequel to ‘The Little Mermaid’ on the Table
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/09/07/di ... the-table/
Haven't you guys learned not to trust this guy by now? He's often more wrong than right.

Anyway, The Little Mermaid will be released in theaters on May 26th, 2023.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

that's a bit far away... *sighs*
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Wow, it really is very far away...