Peter Pan & Wendy (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Peter Pan (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Haha, nothing illegal or secret. I've just always had an interest in Glen Keane's original vision so I' scoured the internet for any scrap of info I could find. There was also someone on tumblr who attended something where Keane was a speaker and he talked a bit about his original vision for Rapunzel so I messaged this person to get the full details.

The directors of Tangled confirmed the setting, but I can see why its so difficult to pinpoint Tangled to one setting (as well as country) because its essentially just a mix-mash of different eras and cultures.
http://collider.com/byron-howard-nathan ... w-tangled/

I think Gothel was surely going to die in Keane's version because she would turn out to be such a monster. Then again, Pinocchio has some really evil villains who never receive their comeuppance by film's end. I did love the magic tear! One of the few things Tangled got right imo even if lots of people complained that it was a paltry imitation of Beauty and the Beast's ending.

Yes the French Renaissance type of architecture was used for the design of the castle. Here are two links that will help you understand more about the French Architecture pertaining to Rapunzel.

http://animatedviews.com/2010/tangled-a ... en-mimoun/
http://www.judgmentofparis.com/board/sh ... php?t=2011

There should be more pictures of that style in The Art of Tangled book which uses a lot of concept art from Rapunzel Unbraided and Rapunzel. I haven't been able to find the book online, just scans that some people post if you google search. Here's a link to a scan that shows a few more pictures. I personally love the right hand picture with the castle and the ship. It reminds me of Sleeping Beauty for some reason.
http://mint-scribble.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eview.html
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you JeanGreyForever! Yes, I love that picture with the ship, too.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm not surprised at all. I'm just pissed it's not The Little Mermaid already, darn it all. :lol:
I'm excited for the non-Disney version of the Little Mermaid, at first Sofia Copolla was gonna direct it (who is one of my favorite directors thanks to "Lost in Translation") but dropped out. even though I was disappointed I'm glad that they're gonna stick to the darker/bittersweet version of the story, which I love.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B14NJ80pny0[/youtube]
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Jack Skellington wrote:I'm excited for the non-Disney version of the Little Mermaid, at first Sofia Copolla was gonna direct it (who is one of my favorite directors thanks to "Lost in Translation") but dropped out. even though I was disappointed I'm glad that they're gonna stick to the darker/bittersweet version of the story, which I love.
I'm looking forward to that, but I do want a Disney live-action TLM that's closer to the animated film, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't even know that non-Disney Little Mermaid movie was still going on. I thought Sophia Copolla was the only reason it was getting made anyway, because I thought it was her idea. Did she really drop out, and is that movie really still being made?
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

If this is nearly as good as Cinderella live action I would love to see Disney doing live action Peter Pan. Hopefully their upcoming live action fairytales will be true to the original stories as Cinderella and The Jungle Book was, and not include "shocking" twists a la Maleficent.

Alice in Wonderland have gotten 2 Disney live action movies now, and Pinocchio is upcoming as I understand. I have always viewed Pinocchio, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland as 3 Disney movies that fits well together. Now Disney only need to make Snow White and all the really classic Walt movies have been adapted into live action. Well, if they decide to remake Sleeping Beauty someday and do it properly.
Last edited by Prince Edward on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Director David Lowery talks about working on the live-action Peter Pan for Disney.
David Lowery: Everyone at Disney, from the executives to our producers and everybody there, I just really love and get along with. They all have similar taste to me, and wonderful taste in films. Obviously, they’re in the business of making Disney movies. I’m not going to go to them to make some weird horror film. I want to make a weird horror film, but I’m not going to make it at Disney. But I loved working with them, and they, thankfully, loved working with me enough to say, “Let’s make something else together, as quickly as possible.” They’re very excited about taking their animated films and making them live-action, and they brought me the idea of making Peter Pan and asked if I had any ideas about how it could be done. I love Peter Pan to death. It’s one of the most influential pieces of storytelling in my life. It made a huge impact on how I grew up. I love the cartoon. I love the 2003 version. I didn’t know how I would do it better. Then, I started thinking, “Well, how would I do it, not better, but differently?” As soon as I started thinking that, I started getting ideas and it seemed like a good fit. We’re writing the script and that will come along, at some point.

Q: Does the fact that another one recently came out that didn’t have the success they’d hoped, like what happened with Pan, make it easier, or does it make it more of a challenge to get audiences into the seats again?

David Lowery: I didn’t see that version, but I get the impression that not many people did. I don’t want to disparage anyone who does it because it’s a noble quest, but I don’t like going and finding the origin stories. That’s nothing something I’m interested in. I don’t want to know how someone got to where they are. I’m more interested in seeing them in the moment. That’s just my personal taste. And so, I just wasn’t interested in that film, and maybe audiences weren’t either because of that fact. I have a friend who loved it, so I think it reached the people it needed to reach, but it probably wasn’t the Peter Pan that people wanted. And maybe people don’t want Peter Pan. I don’t know. We’ll find out. But, I think it’s timeless for a reason. People do love it. I just know my own siblings love it. I know people love it. I love it. So, I think regardless of the fact that there was a version of it in recent memory, I don’t see that as a problem. I wonder if the 2003 version was too recent. I don’t know how the Universal one did at the box office, but I love that movie. It’s beautiful. But I look at that and think, “Yeah, there’s room for more. I’d go see another version of it.” So, that’s where I’m coming from with that. I’m working on the script right now, and I’ve got some other movies to make before that, but by the time we get around to making it, which will be in the relative future, I’m hoping that people will be ready to see new life breathed into that character.
Source: http://collider.com/david-lowery-petes- ... interview/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks Sotiris.

I hope they put in some of the complicated romance between Peter and Wendy, even if it sticks to how in the original story Peter didn't love her the same way.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Director David Lowery Says ‘The Old Man and the Gun’ a Tribute to Robert Redford, Talks ‘Peter Pan’
http://www.slashfilm.com/david-lowery-t ... d-the-gun/
Peter Pan is one of my favorite stories. It’s always been something I care deeply for so it was completely the opposite of Pete’s Dragon where it wasn’t one of my cherished childhood favorites but this one is. I really have a wonderful working relationship with Disney. Everyone there is just terrific and I wanted to make another movie with them. They suggested this project and asked if I’d be interested and we decided to have a go at it. So we’re working on the screenplay right now and it’s still in the very early stages. We just started writing it but it’s a lot of fun and we’re excited to have that responsibility because when you’re dealing with a movie like that, that’s one of the most famous Disney films of their animated classics, then you need to be very careful with how you adapt it. So we’re taking it one step at a time but having a lot of fun doing it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

An update on the Peter Pan remake. They're still working on the script.
Speaking to ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview at a press event for his upcoming Disney film, A Wrinkle in Time, producer Jim Whitaker opened up about how far along the Peter Pan film is and what audiences can expect from the adaptation of J.M. Barrie's classic tale. "Still working on the script, honestly," Whitaker said. "But you know David Lowery's work. He worked on Peter Pan and I would say some of the tenets of his great work is a kind of grounded emotionality. And I think that's at least one part of what you can expect. But it'll be a big, rollicking adventure, too."

In fact, fans can expect the film to contain quite a bit of inspiration, as well. It's something common in Whitaker's films and will never be more evident than in A Wrinkle in Time. The Ava Duvernay-directed Disney movie aims to inspire people of all ages to find their light and hope, which is what drew Whitaker to it. "A lot of [my movies] have to do with emotion," Whitaker said. "It's really about a character's journey and a lot of them has to do with hope. I like to do movies that ultimately have hope in them."
Source: http://comicbook.com/2018/02/28/peter-p ... kle-time-/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney was planning to do a live-action Peter Pan since 1996. :shock: I wonder why they didn't go for it since 101 Dalmatians proved successful.
Banking on the probable success of ''101 Dalmatians,'' Walt Disney Pictures is proceeding with live versions of other animated classics. John Hughes is now writing a script for a live adaptation of ''Peter Pan,'' which Disney made as an animated film in 1953.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/24/movi ... ality.html
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Disney was planning to do a live-action Peter Pan since 1996. :shock: I wonder why they didn't go for it since 101 Dalmatians proved successful.
The same do I.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Interesting. I also thought it was strange they didn't continue making remakes back then. Shortly after the release of 101 Dalmatians, I remember I saw a magazine article about Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella and I thought it was the next live-action remake from Disney and that they were going to continue with them. But that didn't happen until more than a decade later.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I've often been surprised Michael Eisner didn't jump on doing more live-action redoes of the animated classics, because of 101 Dalmatians. Instead, we only got 102 Dalmatians. I think he just got distracted with his plan of turning the theme park attractions into movies.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Shortly after the release of 101 Dalmatians, I remember I saw a magazine article about Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella and I thought it was the next live-action remake from Disney and that they were going to continue with them. But that didn't happen until more than a decade later.
Well, in Cinderella's case the then president of the studio didn't believe it'd make a good adaptation.
"Cartoons have become part of the vocabulary of current cinema in terms of adaptation," notes David Vogel, the president of Walt Disney Pictures. "I wouldn't consider doing, say, 'Cinderella' as a straight-ahead adaptation. But we thought '101 Dalmatians' works perfectly, particularly with the technology we can do today."
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/24/movi ... ality.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If this turns out to be true, then it's a big mistake on Disney's part. Peter Pan is very popular and has the potential of being a big hit. They'll be undercutting their profits if they make it direct-to-streaming. If they need more content for their OTT service, bringing a film like The One and Only Ivan to it makes more sense.
Peter Pan is getting a live action remake and, from what we are hearing, it is possibly heading to Disney’s streaming service! David Lowery is set to write and direct the live-action adaption of the film. Lowery also wrote and directed Disney’s Pete’s Dragon (2016). Toby Halbrooks, who co-wrote Pete’s Dragon, will also join in writing this film, and Jim Whitaker will be producing. There is a chance we will see Reese Witherspoon as Peter’s Pixie companion, Tink, while the rest of the cast is TBD.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2018/07/31/ex ... g-service/
Disney was set to give Reese her own Tink movie but that has been put on the back burner. We reported last week that Reese could make her appearance as Tink in this film, and if successful Witherspoon's Tink film may move forward.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2018/08/12/li ... -fan-cast/
Skyler Shuler wrote:Reese Witherspoon, from what I'm hearing, may come back for Peter Pan. She was attached to the Tinker Bell movie which they are not doing right now. I heard Reese Witherspoon might use this as a vehicle for her character in the film.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31oTYVcP1kQ
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Sotiris wrote:If this turns out to be true, then it's a big mistake on Disney's part. Peter Pan is very popular and has the potential of being a big hit. They'll be undercutting their profits if they make it direct-to-streaming. If they need more content for their OTT service, bringing a film like The One and Only Ivan to it makes more sense.

EXCLUSIVE: Disney’s Live-Action PETER PAN Film May Head To Streaming Service
https://thedisinsider.com/2018/07/31/ex ... g-service/
It may very well have more than something to do with recent live action Peter Pans (the 2003 Universal film, the 2015 Pan) bombing at the box office, and maybe even fans' own negative/mixed reaction towards Peter Pan content on Once Upon a Time, and even Kingdom Hearts. Looking back further, even most other Live Action Peter Pan adaptations of the past 30 years or maybe over haven't done that well, including Steven Spielberg's Hook, which is considered an overall disappointment despite its lovely general movie and even Spielberg fans and having done quite well at the box office.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Wasn't interested in this one at all so I'm glad to hear that this could happen. Not surprised either since as pointed out, every live-action Pan film in the last few decades has bombed horribly.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

They've had quite a few live-action Pan-related films over the years. That might be what Disney's basing the decision on. If Reese Witherspoon's Tinkerbell movie flops, too, this will probably look like a very good decision.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler: They are scouting locations for the live-action Peter Pan, first stop Ireland...which is where Disney’s live-action Sword in the Stone will be filming next month.

Q: What do you think the budget is going to be for the live-action Peter Pan?

Skyler Shuler: $60-$85 million.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 2991321088