DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rose Red
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:07 pm 
Collector's Edition

No, I'm not getting an early jump on April Fools Day, unless THR is too.

Quote:
Walt Disney is going back to the fairy-tale-princess well with Rose Red, the story of Snow White’s sister, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The studio has picked up a project which has a script by Justin Merz and a pitch by Evan Daugherty that reworks the original script. Tripp Vinson is producing via his Vinson Films banner.

Rose Red is a character that appeared in Grimms' fairy tales in an adventure that had no relation to the more well-known Snow White and the Seven Dwarves fairy tale that inspired the classic Disney animated film.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ilm-879528

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:08 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This could be exciting as long as it's kept separate from the main Snow White story much like the original fairytale was. In more capable hands, I could see the two stories connecting, but knowing Disney they'll pull some Maleficent stunt where Rose was the evil sister who became the wicked queen but was really good at heart or something like that.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:37 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This is serious?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

If this is real, I think they could really have success with this. I’ve always wondered why no one’s done anything with Rose Red before. It seems like an easy cash-grab considering the relation to Snow White.

Katharine McPhee ~ "Round Your Little Finger"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Say Something" (w/ AGBW)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:18 am 
Collector's Edition

Those who have read Vertigo's Fables are probably aware that Rose Red have grown in popularity and become more known during the run of the comic. Disney have probably not missed it either.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:55 am 
Platinum Edition

The only thing is, will she be made into some sort of warrior queen ? Much like Alice has been, and Snow (from the Huntsman) and even Mirror Mirror. It would be nice to have a break, and have a female character just be a normal girl rather than leading a sepia - tinted CGI army .....

If anything has to be done with a Snow White tale, I'd love for it to be based upon the Queen, using 'The Fairest One Of All' story. If done well, that could be amazing !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:33 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

It has the makings of a grand April Fool's Day joke. Let's revisit this in a day.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:16 am 
Platinum Edition

I hope everyone here knows the original fairy tale only involved Snow White by name alone. She wasn't the same Snow White that had red lips and black hair and was fairest of all and found seven dwarfs and ate a poisoned apple. They aren't the same person. They are two seperate characters with the same name.

If Disney tries to make them the same person, that's just terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:55 am 
Platinum Edition

It doesn't seem to be an April Fool's joke. Both Variety and Entertainment Weekly have independently confirmed it.

Quote:
Sources confirmed to Variety that the studio is developing “Rose Red,” which follows Snow White’s sister.
Source: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/snow- ... 201743125/

Quote:
Disney is developing Rose Red, a live-action film centered on Snow White’s sister, EW has confirmed.
Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/31/ro ... sney-movie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

Depending on what they do with this, I could enjoy it as passing fantasy fare in the same vein as Alice Through the Looking Glass anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:57 am 
Platinum Edition

Logline and synopsis for Rose Red, courtesy of Spec Scout.

Logline wrote:
Snow White's little sister Rose Red has to rescue Prince Charming to break the witch's spell before Snow White's time is up and she'll be trapped in her magical slumber forever.

Synopsis wrote:
Rose Red, a red-headed tomboyish princess, is late arriving to her sister, Snow White's wedding to Prince Charming. During the reception, she meets a couple and recounts the untold adventure behind the classic Snow White fairy tale.

A week earlier, Rose Red arrives at the scene of her sister's potential murder, and heartbroken by her sister's death-like sleep, she swears to find the culprit and return her sister to health. Rose returns to the castle and is told by Sergius, the queen's creepy henchman, that the queen is missing. Suspicious of her absence, Rose sneaks into the queen's chamber and speaks to her magic mirror, who recounts the events that led to Snow White's sleep and the queen's role in the affair. She finds a hidden door to the queen's dungeon and discovers a spell book open to a potion for a poisoned apple. The only remedy is true love's first kiss, and it must be administered within five days or the spell will last forever. Knowing she has to find Prince Charming, she rushes from the castle, spell book in tow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:18 pm 
Platinum Edition

Well, that plot synopsis is...disappointing. If it's just going to be the SW story told from a side perspective in the most video-game-esque way possible, why not just do a straight up Snow White adaptation? And I'm guessing the best part of the tale--the Queen--will have minimal role. What's the point?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:26 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Did Linda Woolverton write this? I thought we were done with these twist fairytales. Not looking forward to this. Feels pointless.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:35 am 
Limited Edition

Rose Red is not Snow White's little sister. There a fairy tale called Snpw White and Rose Red by the Brothers Grimm.

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:02 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Why not just do a straight up Snow White adaptation?

Well, they are doing that too. It looks like Disney's trying to mine their classic properties more than once. That's why they're not only developing epic, serious blockbusters but lower-budgeted comedies as well based on the same or related properties. They did a straight-forward adaptation of Cinderella but are also developing a comedy based on Prince Charming. They have a proper adaptation of Peter Pan in development but also a comedy based on Tinker Bell. They have a musical adaptation of Snow White in the works but also a comedy about Rose Red.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:53 am 
Platinum Edition

Nala wrote:
Rose Red is not Snow White's little sister. There a fairy tale called Snow White and Rose Red by the Brothers Grimm.

I know. Not enough people know this. People need to know. There is a different Snow White and Rose Red is her sister.

Post subject: Re: Rose Red
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 pm 
Platinum Edition

Brie Larson is being considered for the role of Rose Red.

Quote:
Disney has approached Academy Award winner Brie Larson for the title role of the studios long in development live-action fairy tale spinoff Rose Red, Disney Film Facts has exclusively learned.

The story is to be set after Snow White takes a bite from the poisonous apple and falls into her “Sleeping Death” towards the end of the original story. This causes Snow White’s sister Rose Red to set off on a journey with the seven dwarfs to find a way to break the curse and bring Snow White back to life. The project doesn’t have a director attached at this time, but the studio is currently searching.

The project started as an original script by Justin Merz (The Boxcar Children), which was envisioned as a stand-alone movie. Screenwriter Evan Daugherty (Snow White and the Huntsman, Tomb Raider) came up with a different take described as a “companion piece” that sticks closer to the original animated movie. Kristin Gore (SNL) completed the most recent draft of the script. Tripp Vinson who is producing Disney’s Prince Charming is on board to produce.
Source: https://disneyfilmfacts.com/2018/04/23/ ... -rose-red/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I like Brie Larson a lot which is the only thing that interests me about this project. I've always loved the mythology of Snow White, but this film sounds too much like revisionist Maleficent crap to interest me. And this is coming from a staunch feminist.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Q: I have a question: what happened to the live-action of Rose Red? Was it canceled or is it still in development?

Skyler Shuler: Delayed indefinitely.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 5812303872

Quote:
Q: Has the movie around Rose Red been scrapped or might it return on Disney+?

Skyler Shuler: It's been scrapped.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/CObjXpx.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:26 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thank goodness. I did not expect this film to turn out well especially going by the Prince Charming and Godmothered films.