Ranking the Disney Princes

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Your favorite Disney prince?

The Prince
No votes
Prince Charming
No votes
Prince Phillip
13%
Prince Eric
11%
The Beast
24%
Aladdin
32%
John Smith
No votes
Li Shang
5%
Naveen
3%
Flynn
13%
Kristoff
No votes

Total votes: 38

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Ranking the Disney Princes

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I just thought we hadn't really done a poll/topic about the princes since the new era added several of them? I'll come back later with my own list(s)--I'll probably rank them by personality and then looks. :wink:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Ranking the Disney Princes

Post by Tangled »

A ranking for personality:

1. Aladdin
2. The Beast
3. Naveen
4. Flynn
5. Shang

The princes that I like the most are the ones that are paired with my favorite Disney princesses, it seems (Mulan, Belle, Tiana, Rapunzel, and Jasmine are my top five princesses). I just like compelling couples where both sides of the relationship compliment each other.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I think Hercules, Quasimodo/Phoebus should have been included in this ranking (but I guess you would not have enough options to include everyone in a poll after all). And Hans as well, he is a real prince after all;)

For me the word "prince" in a Disney setting equals hero or leading male character, so I will include the heroes in my ranking. My ranking is determined by how well I like the character's personality and their looks (and to some extent also their movies).

1. Prince Phillip - Disney's first prince with a name and a personality. Also, he is really handsome and have a nice character design. Sleeping Beauty is my favorite among Walt's movies and it is the most beautiful Disney film design wise.
2. Hercules - Such a sweet personality, very naive and vulnerable. And, he is a such a dreamboat!
3. Aladdin - Golden personality, fun loving and adventureous, and handsome as well.
4. Beast (or prince Adam as I like to call him!) - A sweet personality. And perhaps the most handsome of the princes/heroes while in human form. To bad we don't get to see him as human more than we do. (Wish Disney would feature him more often in his human form in their merchandise.)
5. Prince Eric - Handsome guy. Personality is a bit bland. But he is brave at least.
6. Prince Hans - Such a great character, manipulative and smart. And so, so handsome!
7. Quasimodo & Phoebus - Quasi is a greatly designed character and his personality is really sweet. Phoebus is handsome. And I love their movie!

From here on and out my ranking is determined mostly by my opinion on their looks/design, since I have already ranked my top favorites:
8. John Smith
9. Flynn Rider
10. Shang
11. Tarzan
12. Kristoff
13. Naveen - Annoying personality/character. Handsome enough I guess.
14. Prince Charming - Handsome, but boring.
15. The Prince from Snow White - not especially good looking, think Disney had trouble animating handsome men back in the 30's. Personality? He has none;)
Last edited by Prince Edward on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Eric and Phillip are my two favorites followed by Aladdin. I like them the most because I think they have the most attractive personalities and in general are the best looking princes. It's probably not that surprising then that my significant other is basically a blend of those three characters.

Florian and Henry are nice but it's hard to have an opinion on them since we don't really see them. Florian seems especially sweet though, and I like how rebellious Henry seems, a bit like Phillip.

I love the Beast because he was the first prince to be a main character in his own right. Although Phillip and Eric were the first ones to be developed, we really get a glimpse at Beast's soul so I'm fond of him. I also don't hate his human form as Adam as many other people do (I'm really glad Belle doesn't tell him to grow a beard at the end).

John Smith and Phoebus (I consider Esmeralda a DP so I'm including him) are both ok, but I didn't really care for either of them until after multiple rewatches. I think if they had both had their love songs in their films (If I Never Knew You and In a Place of Miracles) then that might have endeared me to them both. John Smith's line about killing savages in the beginning doesn't sit right with me still and he's a bit bland especially compared to the more dynamic Pocahontas. I didn't find Phoebus particularly funny at first although he's grown on me, and I actually really like his chemistry with Quasimodo, but I've never cared for Phoebus much otherwise, in any version of the Hunchback including the new musical. It doesn't help that both John Smith and Phoebus were such awful people in their original sources.

Shang is a breath of fresh air after them. He's actually really well developed for a character in a film where the romance isn't a major part. Maybe it's because of that, that Shang works so well.

I can't stand Naveen or Flynn. Flynn is a little bit better because throughout the course of his film we uncover his true self which is much nicer, but I still find him to be too contrived and created purely to cater to teenage girls. Kristoff is ok, but I find him gross and most of the jokes in Frozen which I didn't care for came from him or were relating to him. I wish we could have had Bastion as Rapunzel's love interest instead since he would have carried the best qualities of Flynn and Kristoff in one and thus be better suited for Rapunzel (at least the earlier version of Rapunzel since i'm not a fan of her final movie version either).

And for honorable mentions, I love Quasi because I can relate to him a lot and his portrayals in both the film and musical are absolutely magical. Hans is a great character imo and I pretend that he wasn't evil which isn't too difficult to do anyway. It feels like the filmmakers just couldn't figure out a way to make Anna leave Hans for Kristoff so turning him to villainy was the only option which is a pity since it basically destroys him as a character until the sequel. Tarzan is incredibly lovable and I love how he is one of the more taciturn leading heroes. Finally, I like Hercules a lot as well. He has a lot of the traits that I like in my top three princes, but I honestly don't find his appearance to be that attractive. It's just not my type.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I like how rebellious Henry seems, a bit like Phillip.
You think he's rebellious?! From just the original movie?!

As for me, I pick the Beast, or as I think he should be called, Adam. I love his looks and personality the most out of any of the princes. Oh, except maybe Hercules. Honestly, it's hard for me to choose between them because I haven't watched Hercules in a while. But my gut is telling me Adam for now.

Next I love Kristoff. I find him to be the cutest of the Disney princes. Not necessarily the best-looking, but looks wise, and personality wise, the cutest.

I don't really feel like rating the others except I find Hans and Flynn to be super hot and in some shots Prince Chamring looks the next most handsome.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I like how rebellious Henry seems, a bit like Phillip.
You think he's rebellious?! From just the original movie?!

As for me, I pick the Beast, or as I think he should be called, Adam. I love his looks and personality the most out of any of the princes. Oh, except maybe Hercules. Honestly, it's hard for me to choose between them because I haven't watched Hercules in a while. But my gut is telling me Adam for now.

Next I love Kristoff. I find him to be the cutest of the Disney princes. Not necessarily the best-looking, but looks wise, and personality wise, the cutest.

I don't really feel like rating the others except I find Hans and Flynn to be super hot and in some shots Prince Chamring looks the next most handsome.
The paintings in the palace show how he once had a very close relationship with his father but he slowly drifts apart which the King laments. We don't seen him outside of the palace in the film, but I feel like when there weren't formal events and he could get away with it, he was always riding and exploring and having adventures (like Florian and Phillip who we never see in their castles). The paintings suggest that as well as the last two show him riding off away from home.

More examples of his rebellious nature are when the King complains about him neglecting his duties and the Prince looking utterly bored during the ball when he is yawning. Right after he glances up at his father as if he wants his father to see his reaction, rather than that he is nervous his father saw him yawn and glancing up to check he didn't notice. He doesn't seem like he would be the type to be afraid of his father like the Grand Duke for instance. I feel like he could probably control his father's temper the same way Phillip could for his father.

I really don't know why people find Adam utterly atrocious to look at. Although he's not my type, I consider him pretty good-looking especially in the ballroom scene at the end when he is in his formal wear. The long hair could turn people off I guess since I prefer shorter hair too. Anyway Dan Stevens as Adam might make me rank Adam higher, at least attractive-wise.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If anyone's wondering why I didn't include other characters, it's because I was going by the Disney Princess line mostly. And Hans is a villain, which is why I didn't include him. But since we're talking about them anyway, I'll rank them in parentheses.

By personality, I'd rank them:
(Hercules)
1. Aladdin
(Milo J. Thatch)
2. Li Shang
3. Prince Eric
4. Naveen
5. Kristoff
(Tarzan)
6. The Prince
7. The Beast
8. Prince Charming
9. John Smith
(Phoebus)
10. Flynn
11. Prince Phillip

Aladdin is just so sweet, and I've always loved him. "OJA (Reprise)," his face when he first sees Jasmine in the marketplace, and his interaction with Abu all make him endearing for me, and "A Whole New World" is one of my absolute favorite romantic moments in a Disney film. Brad Kane's voice is just so silky and beautiful. Maybe not my favorite male protagonist overall (that would be between Hercules, Jim Hawkins), but definitely the best of the princes. Shang's grown on me over time; the funny thing is most of what I like about him are his interactions with Mulan while she's pretending to be a man. :lol: I would rank Naveen higher if I didn't think of the characters in a romantic sense (no way would he stick with one person), but the character has the whole intoxicating libertine personality down. Kristoff is probably the prince with a sense of humor/personality most like mine, and I find him sweet and funny in a wry way. The Prince is definitely my favorite of the old princes; the opening where he sings to SW has over time grown into one of my favorite Disney moments.

As for the others, eh. When I'm watching B&tB, I'm rooting for Beast and identify with him, but I don't really think of him as a character I'd want to end up with. He's probably the most developed of the princes as a character, I kind of have a disconnect as far as looking at him in a romantic light. I'm not really a fan of the others, but I do like how Charming is aloof and not interested in romance at all, which kind of makes the way he's attracted to Cinderella more romantic. I find John Smith mostly bland, and Flynn unlikable. My dislike of Phillip is irrational, that's the only reason I can explain putting him below the other two Walt-era princes. :lol:

By looks, I'd say: Prince Eric > Aladdin > Naveen > The Beast (Human...just if that wasn't clear, I'm not a furry) > Li Shang > (Tarzan > Milo > Hercules >) Flynn > Prince Phillip > John Smith > The Prince > Kristoff > (Phoebus >) Prince Charming
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm. I suppose Prince Charming could be rebellious after all. Good points.

I like long hair on guys. I like the typical gay buzzed on the sides hair cuts all the way to long hair. I guess my favorite is the buzzed hair but long hair is very beautiful on the right guy. I thought the reason people thought Adam was ugly was because of his face. Maybe because he has a long nose with a slight bump to it (which is rather French)? I don't know.

I never thought of Charming as not caring about romance. I always thought of him as waiting for the one and wanting to find romance his own way. But thinking about it, aren't there a lot of Cinderella's where the prince wants to find love "in his own way" without a ball? Maybe that's why I think that. But the Duke says maybe they should let the prince "alone" in finding love, and that's what I feel Charming wanted to do.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Double post! Sorry!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

Aladdin without a doubt! :thumb:
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

1. Aladdin.

He's sweet. Has a believable personality with a right set of flaws that makes us root for him. Just a really likable character all things considered. Plus, he's exactly the type of guy I like physical-wise. (Hmm, think something like between him and Cassim- with enough long hair and facial hair, but not too old. Oooh, yes).

2. Beast.

I think Beast and Aladdin have pretty much shaped what I like in guys, at least the more positive aspects of them. My two main leads from my stories have elements in common with both Al and Beast. His temper may not be ideal, but I do like how he softens out in the story. Beast is in my favorite Disney after Aladdin, so, yeah, I might be biased.

3. Quasimodo.

Really relatable, and I love his singing voice. Gives me chills overtime I hear Out There. The one time Disney made a very vulnerable/miserable and I feel they represented it well instead of making him "adorkable" or something like that.

4. Phoebus.

Maybe because he's in another film I love, but I do like him. He doesn't take himself seriously, but I like that. I kinda wish the sexual subtext from Pocahontas was instead given to him and Esmeralda, whom I find more appealing characters.

5. Naveen

Hmm, he started the whole "arrogant male of of the Lasseter era" cliche, but he's pretty handsome.

6. Flynn

Good development, and he resembles an actor I like, so I think that's pretty neat. He looked cuter in the concept art and in David Gilson fan art tho.

7. Philip

He looks blah, but I like the archetypical Knight In Shining Armor he has going on. I like romance-driven characters. (just give him some of Naveen's charisma and Aladdin's cute/romantic moments, and the perfect mashup of their designs and you have my ideal male lead)

8. Hercules

Cute, but not anything that special. I think I like him in how he complements Meg, all things considered, so I guess it makes he has to be sweeter so that Meg likes him, but I wonder what he likes about her, considering sarcasm is often lost on him.

9. Hans

I like the idea of an evil prince, though I don't think the execution was that good. The fandom works where he's turned into a political figure are interesting though.

10. Maui

Eh, I suppose? I do think he works in the context of the film, all things considered.

11. John Smith

He always reminded me of a Ken Doll, honestly.

12. Shang

He's kinda bland. Never found the big hooplah the fandom has over him.

13. Snow White's Prince

Bland, but I do love his Song.

14. Prince Charming

Eh.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

As you already know, I really like your list of Disney's leading men. My own list is similar except the Revival heroes rank much lower whereas I'm far more forgiving of the classic princes, although I hope that doesn't remind you too much of that certain "friend" of yours lol.

I definitely find Shang overrated as well, which is ironic since my post from a few years ago is praising him so much. Funny how certain impressions can change so rapidly but I find him quite boring now, whereas Phoebus has risen quite high in my ranks.

I'm curious where you would rank Milo since I was under the impression that you thought quite highly of him.
ImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

No, you're not throwing a tantrum or calling anyone an uncultured swine for not liking Prince Charming or thinking Aladdin is a better character than the Prince, so that's all fine and good. :D

Milo? I think he's a nice character. I actually do like we have a nerd for a Disney protagonist for once, and do like that he wears glasses. People egg on him and Kida...just because (or, as usual, Miss-Aurora poo-poos anything that isn't Sleeping Beauty), but I like both characters and think their relationship is sweet.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Lol, I still can't believe there are people in this world who think Snow White's prince is a more developed character than Aladdin lol.

Milo and Kida aren't exactly my top favorites but I think both are highly underrated and should be given more credit than what they get. They really do have a sweet relationship and one that's quite different from all the other Disney couples (the closest equivalent would be Linguini and Colette in Ratatouille).
ImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Well, you know, when you're raised in a certain way...

Me too. There's a connection and sweetness to them that I don't feel you see in other couples much, yet they don't really seem as sexual as other couples. (Maybe the lack of a kiss helps to that).
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

My two favorite Princes are not on the list:

Prince Hans b/c he has amazing potential for being a really dynamic character(too bad Disney will probably squander it in order to not upset the PC crowd) and he's just flippin HOT. Like wow give whoever designed him an A+! Gave me a thing for sideburns. :drool:

Prince EDWARD! He's the airhead of Disney Princes and I love him! :float:

as for who I voted from the list:
-Phillip(fave of the classic princess)
Aladdin- (cute plus nostalgia)
-Shang (hot and badass)

would have also voted for Naveen(dunno why, I like his accent) and John Smith(his duet with Poca won me over.)

honorable mention- Herc! :herc:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

1. Aladdin
2. The Beast
3. Eric
4. Naveen
5. Flynn
6. John Smith
7. Prince Phillip
8. Shang
9. Prince Charming
10. The Prince
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

unprincess wrote:Prince Hans[...]he's just flippin HOT. Like wow give whoever designed him an A+! Gave me a thing for sideburns. :drool:
Omg yes so in agreement! Except first it was this older hot guy who liked me who got me into sideburns. Now I love the 70's lol. By PC being upset do you mean liberals would be upset that a guy who tried to kill a girl is accepted again is bad in this MeToo movement? I feel like liberals are more forgiving. I mean I'm liberal and I love him!

Vlad, your favorite film is Snow White but your least favorite prince is her prince? Lol well I'm not that fond of Prince Charming though he'ss in my favorite film.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Lots of love for Hans and Edward here too. A shame we might not see either of them again, since it doesn't seem exactly likely that Hans will be in Frozen 2 and Enchanted 2 is probably never going to get out of development hell.
thedisneyspirit wrote:Well, you know, when you're raised in a certain way...

Me too. There's a connection and sweetness to them that I don't feel you see in other couples much, yet they don't really seem as sexual as other couples. (Maybe the lack of a kiss helps to that).
Lol, that's usually the way it goes.

I definitely agree and it's interesting how much chemistry the two have without having to resort to a kiss while not seeming sexual. It's especially nice because so many people are quick to shame characters like Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Kida for their lack of clothes.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney Duster wrote:
Vlad, your favorite film is Snow White but your least favorite prince is her prince? Lol well I'm not that fond of Prince Charming though he'ss in my favorite film.
To be honest, I hated him when I was a kid. I had this huge crush on Snow White, and I hated him for taking her away. :lol: :lol:
I do like his singing voice. It's very Old Hollywood style :)