The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Post by estefan »

Raf wrote:Is it normal for trailer to not be released even though it was played in cinemas weeks ago? :|
Fittingly, the last time I recall Disney doing this was with Robert Zemeckis's A Christmas Carol. That trailer took a while to hit online, even though Disney had it playing in theatres for weeks.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

But, what would they gain by not releasing the trailer online? Are they maybe refocusing their promotional campaign?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

nomad2010 wrote:NEW TRAILER played during my screening of Ant-Man & the Wasp. Can’t say it was very reassuring.

Lots of new footage, basic chosen one (princess) plot where she must defeat Mother Ginger. Not one shot of a Nutcracker. AND THE MOST BAFFLING THING. Kiera Knightley’s Sugar Plum fairy character speaks in a high squeaky voice that sounds utterly laughable. It’s literally Keira doing her highest, nasalliest baby voice. I’m just waiting for the trailer to hit online and people to be mocking it (her voice) until the films release.
The theatrical trailer has finally been released online. Was this the same one shown in theaters? You were right about Keira Knightley's voice. That was a rather stupid creative decision on their part.

Interestingly, the movie is promoted as coming from the studio that made "Beauty and the Beast" and "Maleficent" with no mention of "Cinderella".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Okay wow. Such a downgrade from the first trailer and I am confused!

So, her mother made the Land of Sweets? How? Who is she?
Where the HECK is the Nutcracker?! Is Clara the Nutcracker? Is Phillip the Nutcracker
Who the heck is Mother Ginger?! Why not the Mouse King?!
Yea that Sugar Plum voice is bad :lol:

All I can that’s going for me is that Renee is charming as heck!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm gonna pass. I'm not into this CGI fest. Probably gonna be a major flop tbh.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

I loved it. I think the visuals in this movie are stunning. Cast seems to be great too, and I don't find Keira's voice stupid at all, it suits her appearance. I wonder if Nutcracker's reveal is some kind of big shocking event in the movie, and that's why they don't show him.
Oh, and poster is gorgeous.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The theatrical trailer has finally been released online. Was this the same one shown in theaters?
No, this is a completely new trailer. I saw the other one last weekend (the same one that was leaked on a Russian website), it played before Incredibles 2 in my country. First look at the Mouse King at minute 1:20.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Same. I don't understand where all the hate come from...

This project, because of its important use of CGI, reminds me a lot of the 'Oz the Great and Powerful' movie. A very similar style. I understand why it might annoy some, but nobody seemed to complain about an over-use of CGI back then with OtG&P, this movie was actually a major hit.

But I believe Disney should take better care of how they are promoting its original movies. They know they won't get as popular as live-action remakes and franchises during the weeks surrounding their releases, so why did we get the second trailer only now? It's a Christmas related movie, true, but still..

Nevertheless, I really love this trailer, even better that the first one, I found it very enticing!...
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I thought it was a good trailer ! Just as much so as the first. I don't get the hate on here for Keira's voice ... she is a fairy after all ? How she sounds is a totally logical way in which to speak.

Very much looking forward to this as a big old traditional Christmas film :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Clindor wrote:Same. I don't understand where all the hate come from...

This project, because of its important use of CGI, reminds me a lot of the 'Oz the Great and Powerful' movie. A very similar style. I understand why it might annoy some, but nobody seemed to complain about an over-use of CGI back then with OtG&P, this movie was actually a major hit.
I didn't like Oz the Great and Powerful as well. Honestly all of Disney's live actions (remakes or originals) seem very cheap, CGI heavy with very famous actors. The only live action I liked from recent years is Saving Mr. Banks.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:
nomad2010 wrote:NEW TRAILER played during my screening of Ant-Man & the Wasp. Can’t say it was very reassuring.

Lots of new footage, basic chosen one (princess) plot where she must defeat Mother Ginger. Not one shot of a Nutcracker. AND THE MOST BAFFLING THING. Kiera Knightley’s Sugar Plum fairy character speaks in a high squeaky voice that sounds utterly laughable. It’s literally Keira doing her highest, nasalliest baby voice. I’m just waiting for the trailer to hit online and people to be mocking it (her voice) until the films release.
The theatrical trailer has finally been released online. Was this the same one shown in theaters? You were right about Keira Knightley's voice. That was a rather stupid creative decision on their part.

Interestingly, the movie is promoted as coming from the studio that made "Beauty and the Beast" and "Maleficent" with no mention of "Cinderella".
Oddly enough this definitely isn’t the same trailer. The one I saw didn’t mention the mother at all. The bones of it are the same. Most of those shots are ones included in the one I saw during Ant-Man and the Wasp. But if I’m correct, the trailer I saw was much longer. Part of my annoyance with that trailer was it had no narrative cohesion. It basically told us nothing besides that Clara was a “princess” and that Mother Ginger was somehow bad. This at least puts into place the mystery of the mother, which makes things look a little more intriguing. Doesn’t fix my other issues with it, especially Keira Knightley’s voice, but it’s at least a step above the trailer I saw.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The poster is absolutely beautiful. I love the backgrounds and Clara with the music box reminds me of Anastasia and her music box!

I'm still planning on seeing it, but that trailer wasn't the best
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't have an issue with Keira Knightley's voice either since she is playing a fairy.

I like the poster but I still find it baffling that for a film titled "The Nutcracker," there is absolutely no Nutcracker in the promotion or on the poster at all. I'm assuming that the soldier on the far right is the Nutcracker in human form, but even his placement suggests that he won't be key to the story (much like the Mouse King).
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The movie seems like a cross between Oz: The Great and Powerful and Alice in Wonderland. I know it's not going to be a very original film but I find myself more interested in this one than the other two due to the charming female lead, the visual approach and overall aesthetic. It also looks less CG-fied; it seems like they bothered creating some physical set pieces for this movie and didnt go fully CG. One little thing that bothers me is the title. It should have been called simply "The Nutcracker". If there was a sequel then they could have added the "and the" subtitle but I don't think they should have done so with the first one.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I still find it baffling that for a film titled "The Nutcracker," there is absolutely no Nutcracker in the promotion or on the poster at all..
Doesn't this remind you of a famous line said by Deems Taylor in the original 'Fantasia' ? :D
https://youtu.be/5YXCRjTI3Ts?t=30s
Could this actually be a smart reference to the Disney Classic this new movie is based on?
At least this is an accurate way to describe the promotion for this movie ^^

No seriously, it is still probable that the Nutcracker will be at the top of some drama resolution for the third act of the movie.
What would be 'Ratatouille' (2007) without a good ratatouille at the end?.. :roll:
Last edited by Clindor on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Sotiris wrote:The movie seems like a cross between Oz: The Great and Powerful and Alice in Wonderland. I know it's not going to be a very original film
Or at least this is the way they are selling us the movie... probably just because both 'Alice in Wonderland' (2010) and 'Oz the Great and Powerful' earned a lot of money.

Honestly when I think of the way Disney movies have been promoted over the past 2 years (except maybe for some animated features) it always look very generic... but at the end these movies have something more interesting and original to offer than what the promotion implies.

I don't know with this one, but yeah, indeed, so far it looks like Oz's CGI meets Alice's war movie concept. In 3 months we'll have our answer :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Keira Knightley's voice here reminds me of Michelle Williams in that Amy Schumer movie.
Sotiris wrote: Interestingly, the movie is promoted as coming from the studio that made "Beauty and the Beast" and "Maleficent" with no mention of "Cinderella".
:mischief:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:One little thing that bothers me is the title. It should have been called simply "The Nutcracker". If there was a sequel then they could have added the "and the" subtitle but I don't think they should have done so with the first one.
I don't mind the movie's title that much since the original Nutcracker novella was titled "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King" and I doubt this will get a sequel anyway. Frankly, if anything the film should be titled anything but "The Nutcracker" from everything we've seen so far. They seem to only be using the name for recognition value.
Clindor wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I still find it baffling that for a film titled "The Nutcracker," there is absolutely no Nutcracker in the promotion or on the poster at all..
Doesn't this remind you of a famous line said by Deems Taylor in the original 'Fantasia' ? :D
https://youtu.be/5YXCRjTI3Ts?t=30s
Could this actually be a smart reference to the Disney Classic this new movie is based on?
At least this is an accurate way to describe the promotion for this movie ^^

No seriously, it is still probable that the Nutcracker will be at the top of some drama resolution for the third act of the movie.
What would be 'Ratatouille' (2007) without a good ratatouille at the end?.. :roll:
Lol, that's a good catch. This really should be titled "Live-Action Remake of the Nutcracker Sequence from Fantasia." I just find it incomprehensible that a story known best for a wooden object decides to showcase everything except that one object. It would be like making a film adaptation of "The Little Mermaid" but only ever having her as human in the promotion for the film and never even mentioning that she was once a mermaid. Or a "Beauty and the Beast" without a Beast in it. I'm sure the Nutcracker will end up in the film somehow (albeit in a miniscule role) but it seems like a waste.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey