Big Hero 6: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Big Hero 6: The Series

Post by estefan »

Disney Announces Production Of "Big Hero 6: The Series"
Big Hero 6, an animated television series for kids, tweens and families based on Walt Disney Animation Studios' Academy Award-winning feature film inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, has begun production for a 2017 premiere on Disney XD platforms around the world.

Emmy Award-winning producers Mark McCorkle and Bob Schooley, creators and executive producers of the global hit Disney Channel series "Kim Possible," are the executive producers. The series was announced today by Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide.

Reuniting with McCorkle and Schooley on the creative team is their Kim Possible colleague, Emmy Award-winning Nick Filippi, who serves as executive producer and supervising director.

Produced by Disney Television Animation, the series picks up immediately following the events in the feature film, and continues the adventures and friendship of 14-year-old tech genius Hiro and his compassionate, cutting-edge robot Baymax. Alongside Hiro and Baymax on their journey are control freak Wasabi, scientist Honey Lemon, fanboy Fred and no-nonsense Go Go, who together form the legendary superhero team, Big Hero 6. As the new prodigy at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, Hiro now faces daunting academic challenges and the social trials of being the little man on campus. Off campus, the stakes are raised for the high-tech heroes as they must protect their city from an array of scientifically enhanced villains.

Big Hero 6 is one of the 17 new series, 28 current series, 785 episodes, the Radio Disney Music Awards and two new original movies that Disney Media Sales and Marketing will represent in the Kids Upfront this year, across Disney Channel, Disney Junior and Disney XD. This news is part of Disney Media Sales and Marketing's presentations to clients taking place this week and through March.
The creators of Kim Possible being behind this especially makes this exciting. They were also heavily involved with the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command cartoon, which I think is one of the better tv series based on one of the theatrical animated films.

I wonder what this means for the sequel.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Big Hero 6-The TV Series

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Bless this news. This morning, we received word that an animated Big Hero 6 television series will premiere on Disney XD in 2017!

Here’s what we know so far: The series picks up immediately following the events in the film. Hiro is the newest prodigy at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, and he faces daunting academic challenges …. not to mention the social trials of being the little man on campus. Off campus, the stakes are raised for Big Hero 6 as they must protect their city from an array of scientifically enhanced villains.

We don’t know who those villains might be, but we do know that the gang is back—Hiro will be joined by Wasabi, Honey Lemon, Fred, Go Go, and Baymax (!!!). If you’re wondering how we’d rate our excitement, the answer is a resounding “ten.”

http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disney/20 ... C384139331
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Re: Big Hero 6 The TV Series Premiering in 2017

Post by Lady Cluck »

This is perfect for a tv series. Yay!
LADY Image CLUCK
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

estefan wrote: The creators of Kim Possible being behind this especially makes this exciting.
I agree. They might actually do better with these characters/world than the film ever managed to do.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I wasn't expecting this to happen! Count me in (even more if the original cast returns, but I doubt it)!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm so excited for this! This actually makes sense as a TV show unlike Tangled.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:I wasn't expecting this to happen! Count me in (even more if the original cast returns, but I doubt it)!
The cast didn't have many big names, so I can see some of them returning. T.J. Miller, Scott Adsit and Alan Tudyk have done quite a lot of tv voice work in the past number of years, so I'll be surprised if they don't reprise their roles.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

wonder if they'll adapt any other Marvel characters for the show...
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

unprincess wrote:wonder if they'll adapt any other Marvel characters for the show...
Since this is way different than the original comics, I believe this will be their own original world.

Although I can't wait for this show, because lately in this decade it's been all about the comedy shows while action shows have taken a break. But it looks like Disney is going to make television shows based on movies again, and I welcome it.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

^ It still doesn't necessarily mean they can't adapt more Marvel characters. Though, I'd imagine that even if they do, they'd only use very obscure characters that they'll never use in the MCU or the other animated Marvel shows.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. They should definitely do it in the style of the end-credits of the film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

ce1ticmoon wrote: Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. They should definitely do it in the style of the end-credits of the film.
I hope that's the route they go!
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

JeanGreyForever wrote: I hope that's the route they go!
Me, too. The end credits was one of the few moments that stand out for me from the movie. Until you two posted this, for some reason I assumed the TV series would be 3D.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Me, too. The end credits was one of the few moments that stand out for me from the movie. Until you two posted this, for some reason I assumed the TV series would be 3D.
Ewe. Conversely, I didn't even consider the possibility of CGI. I think they'll likely go 2D since that is the general trend for Disney TV Animation, but I'd immediately lose almost all interest if it's not. (And I'm saying this as one of the few people who seems to end up defending CGI around this forum.)

They just can't give a TV series enough of a budget to make CGI look good. Considering Tangled is 2D too, though, I don't think we have to worry.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Even though it wasn't mentioned in the press release, producer Bob Schooley revealed on Twitter that the series will be 2D-animated.
Bob Schooley: For those asking, the new show is a return to our Kim Possible roots in a lot of ways, including gorgeous traditional animation.

Q: Traditional as in "totally hand-drawn" and "not Flash-like in any way"?

Bob Schooley: Looking that way.
Source: https://twitter.com/bob_schooley/status ... 4848175104
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Sotiris wrote:Even though it wasn't mentioned in the press release, producer Bob Schooley revealed on Twitter that the series will be 2D-animated.
Bob Schooley: For those asking, the new show is a return to our Kim Possible roots in a lot of ways, including gorgeous traditional animation.

Q: Traditional as in "totally hand-drawn" and "not Flash-like in any way"?

Bob Schooley: Looking that way.
Source: https://twitter.com/bob_schooley/status ... 4848175104
Hand-drawn!?!:
https://youtu.be/DY2CImoHuus?t=38s
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Eh. I guess this was to be expected, but I was still hoping for it to be it to be in the style of the credits sequence.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

BREAKING: WE FINALLY KNOW THE FULL CAST OF THE BIG HERO 6 TV SERIES
https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2016/11/03 ... tv-series/
(via animatedviews.com)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

You can find more details in the press release.

Key visual by Jose Lopez.

Source: https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/or ... ig-hero-6/

Not a fan of the character redesigns. They're too...geometrical. Not to mention that instead of creating new poses, they just traced over a promo image for the original film. It looks like bad fan-art. :|

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Hopefully it's just something they quickly whipped together for this announcement, and it'll have a little more flare, but it's probably pretty indicative of what it's going to look like.

I didn't notice that it was a trace of an existing image. That's... lazy.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:Not a fan of the character redesigns. They're too...geometrical. Not to mention that instead of creating new poses, they just traced over this image. It looks like bad fan-art. :|
You prefer it look like the '90s? The Cheapquels?
ImageImage