DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 am 
Limited Edition

It looks so nice. Elsa's costume is gorgeous.

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 pm 
Limited Edition

it looks great! but... its gonna be shown in theaters? I thought it was a tv special?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 pm 
Platinum Edition

Olaf's Frozen Adventure is no longer a TV special but a theatrical short. Isn't it a little long for a short though? Under Lasseter, WDAS theatrical shorts never exceeded 8 minutes and this one is 22 minutes long.

Quote:
Initially announced as an ABC television special, Olaf’s Frozen Adventure was bumped up to theatrical run status after Lasseter and the filmmakers decided it was too cinematic to not inhabit the big screen (to wit, it’ll now run in 3-D).
Source: http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/13/olafs-f ... exclusive/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:30 pm 
Platinum Edition

Lasseter's just trying to pump up Coco's ticket sales a little. I'm sure there were people who only went to see Cinderella for the Frozen short.

TLM ~ "Intro Ursula" / "Poor Unfortunate Souls" / "Ursula's Defeat"
TLM ~ "Under the Sea"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:43 pm 
Platinum Edition

Maybe Disney was feeling nervous about Coco due to its macabre theme and paired it with a Frozen short to ensure its financial success. It's the only possible reason why a long-planned TV special suddenly became a theatrical short.

This marks the first time a WDAS short precedes a Pixar movie. Tokyo Mater was the first and only Pixar short to be shown before a WDAS film (Bolt).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

The trailer was good. I loved the joke about the Christmas tree. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Sotiris wrote:
Maybe Disney was feeling nervous about Coco due to its macabre theme and paired it with a Frozen short to ensure its financial success. It's the only possible reason why a long-planned TV special suddenly became a theatrical short.

It has to be that. The short was conceived and announced as a TV special, this sudden change is really strange. Maybe the Coco trailers didn't get the response from the public Disney expected and that's why they decided to pair it with the Frozen short. Plus, a short so long before a film is very unusual. If I'm not mistaken, the last short with a similar running time to be shown in front of a film from the company was The Prince and the Pauper, which was released with The Rescuers Down Under in 1990. If Coco is around 1 hour and a half long, with the short it will be almost 2 hours, a bit too long for a children's film. That said, I think it's actually a good strategy, it'll probably draw more people to the theatre despite the long running time.

Sotiris wrote:
This marks the first time a WDAS short precedes a Pixar movie. Tokyo Mater was the first and only Pixar short to be shown before a WDAS film (Bolt).

Then it was Pixar who had to help Disney, and now it's exactly the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
Plus, a short so long before a film is very unusual. If I'm not mistaken, the last short with a similar running time to be shown in front of a film from the company was The Prince and the Pauper, which was released with The Rescuers Down Under in 1990. If Coco is around 1 hour and a half long, with the short it will be almost 2 hours, a bit too long for a children's film.

It is indeed too long. Won't kids get restless? With The Prince and the Pauper, they actually animated an intermission bumper because of the prolonged running time. I doubt they'll do that now though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:33 pm 
Limited Edition

This looks cute. I love Elsa's new outfit she looks stunning. I also like seeing the traditional Scandinavian Christmas customs in the trailer. Really cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:01 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
With The Prince and the Pauper, they actually animated an intermission bumper because of the prolonged running time. I doubt they'll do that now though.

I didn't know that. Interesting. Why wasn't it included as a bonus feature in any of the short's releases? But, yes. I doubt they'll do that now too. People are not used to intermissions anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:31 am 
Platinum Edition

Finally watched the trailer. Elsa's dress is beautiful. Anna's is unremarkable, but these are so much better than those gaudy Easter dresses. Naturally I'll see this at some point, but I'm not super interested. Seems like holiday filler, and--while I don't hate the character--Olaf is better in small doses, imo.

TLM ~ "Under the Sea"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:37 am 
Collector's Edition

Didn't the UK release of Toy Story have "Rollercoaster Rabbit" playing in front of it? Granted, that was before Pixar became really famous but I think that is a case of a non Pixar short being released in front of a Pixar film.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm not pleased that this crap is going to be in front of a PIXAR film. I'm really tempted to NOT see Coco in protest! Stupid little snow man...

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:24 am 
Platinum Edition

I wonder what Pixar short was originally going to play in front of Coco...

While I think that your "Coco is not getting the anticipated reception" theory is likely correct (but the trailers have looked amazing!!!), I wonder if this has anything to do with a previously-chosen Pixar short having production issues or something...

If this plays in theaters with Coco, then it may very well be on the Blu-ray/DVD, boosting sales.

I love Frozen and am definitely looking forward to seeing this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 am 
Collector's Edition

I don't mind Olaf and I've loved everything else from Deters and Wermers-Skelton so I am happy to give this one a chance. I am a little bummed about it being theatrical though because my kids have a lot of fun watching Christmas specials over and over (like Toy Story that Time Forgot or Prep & Landing) and we won't be able to record this one.

I agree this is long for a short. The other time they did this (besides Prince and the Pauper) was back in 1983 when they released Mickeys Christmas Carol in front of the Rescuers. I don't remember an intermission but as a kid I was thrilled - it meant more movie time! I hope my kids respond the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The Incredibles and Cars are close to two hours and so paired with their respective Pixar shorts, children sat in the theatre for two hours. Didn't stop those movies from being loved by children and being huge hits. I think if they're entertained, children can watch a two hour runtime just fine. In this age of binge-watching, they probably do that with their favourite shows on Netflix, anyway.

While it is surprising they're pairing a 20 minute special with Coco, I think this also gives audience members more bang for their buck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:13 am 
Collector's Edition

Sotiris wrote:

I don't see why they should be. It's a Pixar movie which should be all that matters. I mean parents got on Disney's case for having smoking in their early movies yet didn't bat an eye at seeing Edna Mode carrying a cigarette.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 am 
Platinum Edition

What annoys me is that this’ll probably be trimmed now that it’s being turned into a theatrical short. I’m kind of interested after seeing the Anna/Elsa scenes in the trailer and don’t want them to screw with it.

That said, as much as I love Frozen, I have absolutely zero interest in Coco and ain’t giving them my money for 20 minutes of Frozen fluff. Mama didn’t raise herself no fool.

TLM ~ "Under the Sea"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The official press release says it runs 21 minutes. And I'm sure they were considering adding it to Coco for a while. If they had trimmed it, they would have announced a different run time in the press release.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I was more worried that they would trim Coco but, according to Lee Unkrich, that won't happen. And, although it was obvious, he also confirmed that, aside from the Disney featurette, no Pixar short will be attached to the film.

estefan wrote:
The Incredibles and Cars are close to two hours and so paired with their respective Pixar shorts, children sat in the theatre for two hours. Didn't stop those movies from being loved by children and being huge hits. I think if they're entertained, children can watch a two hour runtime just fine. In this age of binge-watching, they probably do that with their favourite shows on Netflix, anyway.

For me at least, a film that is comprised of more than one story, like Disney’s package films for example, many times seem longer than one long normal film. But I'm not used to watching more than one episode of a series at a time. Maybe for the majority of people it won't be a problem as you say.

Tristy wrote:
I don't see why they should be. It's a Pixar movie which should be all that matters.

It used to be that way, but after The Good Dinosaur's failure that may have changed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I didn't like the new dresses, to be honest. I found them generic and underwhelming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next