The Lion King Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

The Lion King Discussion

Post by Wonderlicious »

In a completely different thread in the Feedback forum, awallaceunc wrote:The AC discussion threads were started by DDMan26, but he didn't have a lot of time so I started doing them, and then Wonderlicious started doing them, and then everyone started doing them, and then they just stopped. I suppose someone should probably start a TLK discussion, but I don't have the energy. :P

-Aaron
After reading this little bit of literature, I've decided to use my energy to revive the discussions. We last stopped at Beauty and the Beast, and we had around 50 billion Aladdin related discussions last October, so we're gonna move onto the next film after that;

THE LION KING
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Ok, here's the place to confess. I always cry in two parts of the movie. When Simba's dad dies, and when he sees his father's ghost in the clouds. I don't think an animated movie has ever touched me so deeply (well, maybe only Prince of Egypt aswell). Am I alone or are there more crier babies in here? :P
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

DisneyFan 2000 wrote:Ok, here's the place to confess. I always cry in two parts of the movie. When Simba's dad dies, and when he sees his father's ghost in the clouds. I don't think an animated movie has ever touched me so deeply (well, maybe only Prince of Egypt aswell). Am I alone or are there more crier babies in here? :P
PLEASE! You are not alone my friend. That whole 10 minute Mufasa/Simba/Scar stampede has me crying the whole time!! :D
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Whenever I watch it I think its my favorite Disney movie ever, but then when I think about it there are other favorites. It is definetly one of the Crown Jewels at Disney. Took an already used story(Bambi) and made it soar to new hights.
Dolce fare niente...
Noriel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Noriel »

Oh, TLK. What can I say? Amazing animation, great voice actors and a good plot (which was inspired by my favorite movie -- Bambi!)

I have to admit, the whole scene where Simba talks to his father's spirit is oh so emotional! It's the music that makes me cry.
Dan05
Special Edition

Post by Dan05 »

How is Lion King and Bambi similar :?
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Dan05 wrote:How is Lion King and Bambi similar :?
Circle of Life theme, coming of age, a parent's death, a prince of a kingdom... :wink:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who cries! :D It gets me everytime!!
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

for me, this is the very best Disney movie ever; but I agree there are some personal experiences that helped me to have this opinion. A lot of people don´t like it because is simply too different from the Succesful Human-Menken-Romantic movies that came before it.

This movie has one of the best original scores ever aswell, the Hans Zimmer´s music is very touching, emotional and warm; this is my favourite aspect of the lion king, the score; Alan Menken songs for other classics are way better than Elton John/Tim Rice´s songs for lion king, but none can´t beat Zimmer´s score. "This Land" and "Under the stars" are amazing!!!!

Another thing, is the powerful prologue, considered one of the best openings in the history of cinema, the whole circle of life sequence is soooooo gorgeous, it still gives me the goosebumps.

For me, the best sequences of this wonderful movie are the opening, the whole stampede/mufasa´s death scene, can you feel the love tonight, Mufasa´s ghost, and the end sequence when Simba´s climbing the priderock.

and also, (if that weren´t enough) it has the best two disney sidekicks, Timon and Pumba :D

so, as I always say, millions of people around the world that made this movie such a blockbuster hit, and the best selling disney dvd can´t be no wrong
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
Dan05
Special Edition

Post by Dan05 »

I don't think Lion King is like Bambi at all they are both very different in my opinion.
Disney Lover
Special Edition

Post by Disney Lover »

I can see the similarities in both TLK and Bambi. They both start off with a birth of a prince, then a death, some sort of struggle, and then another birth for the end. A complete circle of life. Though there is more of a plot and more action in The Lion King.

Plus I think the amazing characters is what helped The Lion King to be such a hit, while Bambi was so popular for its anaimation and musical score. There is barely any dialogue in Bambi and you don't get any sense for the characters personality like you do in The Lion King. And don't get my wrong I'm not saying thats a bad thing, because it works in Bambi. It's actually one of the best things about Bambi because you're practically getting the whole story based on scenery and music.

Tabbi <3

p.s. I have no idea if that made any sense cause I think I was babbling there towards the end. :oops:
zack626
Gold Classic Collection

Post by zack626 »

ONE OF THE BEST DISNEY FILMS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

When I first joined the forum, I would have said The Lion King was one of my favorites, but things have changed recently. The easy answer is to blame my cooling off of the title on the deprecating DVD release, but I don't think the lack of worthy features is the culprit here. Point in case: It's aged. It's that simple. My theory? I blame half of the score. The song-and-dance numbers have always been my favorite part of the film, but now I realize that it's the Elton John half of the score that is bogging the magic down for me. His songs represented the traditional Grammy-type zeitgeist of the mid-90's in terms of what was thought of as "quality music." The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and others have songs that are more Broadway showtunes in style, and there's something about showtunes that last forever. Anyway, that's my take. Is The Lion King a great movie? Yes. However, in my opinion, not as great as many others. It's fallen from my top five, and I suspect once I have all the animated classics on DVD, it will fall off of my top 10. :wink:
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Disneyfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disneyfan »

I have to say it's one of my all time favorites of all time. I don't think I ever cried during this one. But, trust me plenty of disney movies have made me cry and I'm not too afraid to admit it.[Cause I just did] :wink:
Luna
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Luna »

I love this film...It's my second favorite Disney movie (I like Mulan a little more)...The scene that made me cry in the theater(and still does sometimes) is when Simba tries to wake up the dead Mufasa after the stampede...My favorite scenes...

Circle of Life/opening

Mufasa has a talk with Simba under the stars ("Look at the stars.The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars.So whenever you feel alone,just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you...and so will I" )

Nala finds Simba again

Can You Feel the Love Tonight

Simba sees Mufasa's ghost

Rafiki has a talk with Simba

Simba becomes king

Circle of Life reprise/ending
"It's the apocalypse all right....I always thought I'd have a hand in it..." -Professor Farnsworth(Futurama)
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

PheR wrote:This movie has one of the best original scores ever aswell, the Hans Zimmer´s music is very touching, emotional and warm;
When I listen to the score of the stampede sequence on the CD soundtrack (". . .To Die For?"), it's *still* enough to make me cry.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

Dan05 wrote:How is Lion King and Bambi similar :?
Very good question indeed:

1.-Both are Prince of a kingdom
2.-In the movie,both are watched just for one of their parents--lets accept it, Mufassa was the one who we can see takes more care than Sarabi--
3.-Both have a little girlfriend who later will become his wife
4.-both have a Bird companion, who gives them advices
5.-Their parent dies.
6.-Both have a little time for get over his parent death--Bambi just had a few seconds before leaving with the Great Prince and Simba too before running from hyenas--
7.-both run for save their lives.
8.-both have 2 friends, and one is the funny and the other the stinky one
--let´s accept it,Flower not always smell like one--
9.-both see again to his girlfriend after a long time.
10.-Both fights against an equal for his true position--I mean,deer vs deer and Lion vs Lion--
11.-A kingdom destroyed than later recovers its beauty
12.-when the prince born,everybody go to see him
13.-Both have a great music
14.-both have sons at the end
15.-both take their right place in their lives at the end
16.-both figths also against the servants of the bad guy--hyenas or dogs--
17.-both see their reflex on the water--in a different meaning,but both important parts of the story--

and finally:
18.-eventually, both will have a sequel

I think it´s all, I hope than that have cleared your doubts n_n
Joshrzmeup
Special Edition

lion king

Post by Joshrzmeup »

To be honest, this was never a favorite of mine. It's a good movie, yes, but I agree with Prince Eric, there's something about the music in it that just doesn't seem..well..disney-like. They are good songs, but I do think it's more pop-ish than the kind we used to hear.
Yeah, they had what I consider the typical disney character song. The song in which one of the main characters expresses in song what they want from life. In this case, Simba wants to be king.
The animation was good, the characters were like-able, but there is something about it that's missing for me.
And can someone please explain to me again how Bambi and The Lion King are similar?
Circle of life thing, I get it. But, maybe it's been years, but how does Bambi has to do with a king passing on and leaving this young animal to be king?
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

LizzieMcGuire wrote: And can someone please explain to me again how Bambi and The Lion King are similar?
Circle of life thing, I get it. But, maybe it's been years, but how does Bambi has to do with a king passing on and leaving this young animal to be king?
It´s not like that.
Both have troubles,Simba have to deal with his father death and Bambi with his mother death.The fight for the kingdom--in case of Simba--is for save Nala and his mother from Scar and the hyenas and for accept what he is.When he feel shamed for his father death he finds "help" on the Hakuna Matata stuff, but later he have to deal really and accept than Mufassa is gone, and he haves to accept it with all the responsabilities thant that carries.

In the case of Bambi, he figts Ronno to save Faline from him. Later on the fire he fights against his mother death in a different way. If yopu remember, Bambi is shoted down, and when he almost give up the Prince helps him to stand up and live.If you read the book,you will understand it better, I´m shure :wink:

As you can see, both have to accept their problems and there´s someone who helps them to get over it--The Great Prince in the case of Bambi and Rafiki in the case of Simba--.
Both are about personal growing

n_n
Last edited by Isidour on Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lolopimp
Banned Deadbeat

Re: lion king

Post by lolopimp »

LizzieMcGuire wrote:To be honest, this was never a favorite of mine. It's a good movie, yes, but I agree with Prince Eric, there's something about the music in it that just doesn't seem..well..disney-like. They are good songs, but I do think it's more pop-ish than the kind we used to hear.
Yeah, they had what I consider the typical disney character song. The song in which one of the main characters expresses in song what they want from life. In this case, Simba wants to be king.
The animation was good, the characters were like-able, but there is something about it that's missing for me.
And can someone please explain to me again how Bambi and The Lion King are similar?
I'm really glad Disney left their Alan/Howard broadway type of music in this one. All the songs fit perfectly in the movie. I just can't imagine Broadway kind of music or score in a jungle. I think the incredibly energetic songs fit perfectly with the Zulu African choir to deliver what's to me the best songs created for a movie. I know many of you didn't like the fact that this movie took a total different approach, but that's the reason I love it. As many of you know, this has more both male and adult appeal. The songs have different moods: Circle of Life (dramatic), IJCWTBK (energetic and entertaining), Be Prepared (evil and dark, best villain song ever), Can you Feel the Love Tonight (typical Disney love song.)

The Lion King can't get any better, great animation, voice acting,and memorable songs and characters make this movie my all time favorite.

This is Africa people, not France, Italy, the Middle East, or any undersea palace. The music fits the movie perfectly, IMO.
Last edited by lolopimp on Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Rafiki from Lea for this awesome siggy!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time." -Ian Malcolm
ShereKhana

Post by ShereKhana »

Simply the Best, the Lion King is one of the greatest movies of all time :)
My online Shere Khan Group dedicated to the fine feline himself! Come on in if your a Shere Khan fan!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sherekhansden