DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Both Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo were vaulted until their Blu-ray release. Fantasia is still OOP in North American market.
Currently there's no vault anymore. All the films are available on Disney + and only The Jungle Book and Fantasia are OOP but I want to think Disney plan to rerelease them in 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

pikachufan1336 wrote:
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a compilation of 3 shorts released prior and then put into a feature length thing by giving them interstitial similarly to how Warner Bros did with their cartoons (see The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour) because (the short version is) in the 1970's few f-cks were given in the American Animation medium at the time. So putting it in the Vault is kind of cheating, besides believe it or not, the blu ray sales of MAofWtP didn't do that well when the blu ray did premier. It's a successful franchise, but the movie itself not so much... same with Lilo and Stitch.

The revival movies (yes even Frog, which had a meh theatrical release but did very well on home video, essentially becoming this generation's Sleeping Beauty), did very well on home video and if it were 10 years ago I'm sure Disney would vault them. But they were born into a very diverse and long lasting home video market, putting them in the situation that, like Alice, vaulting them would be pointless.

Winnie the Pooh doesn't sell well on Blu-Ray because Disney has infantilized the franchise so that it only appeals to pre-schoolers and toddlers. The average consumer won't be caught dead buying this film on Blu-Ray and parents who buy it for their kids will opt for the simpler DVD. In the UK and other countries in Europe, they don't even sell the film on Blu-Ray because they know there is no market for adult collectors and Winnie the Pooh on such a premium format. Which is a shame because back in the 90s, Disney did create one of their deluxe VHS sets for this film alongside their other prestige classics.

Treasure Planet also did very well on home video but you don't seen Disney giving that Platinum/Diamond/Signature status. TPATF clearly didn't do well enough on home video to be one of the all-time ranking DVDs or even Blu-Rays. All the real Revival films, like Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and Moana rank as high as the Disney classics in terms of Blu-Ray sales, if not even exceeding some of them. TPATF is nowhere near that league and it's even below most of the late 90s and 70s films. The only reason the film is still somewhat marketed is because of the DP franchise and frankly, if Tiana hadn't been the first black princess, the film wouldn't have been a hit enough to even bother including in the franchise. I've never heard anyone call it this generation's Sleeping Beauty, more like this generation's Oliver & Company.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:58 pm 
Gold Collection

JeanGreyForever wrote:
pikachufan1336 wrote:
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a compilation of 3 shorts released prior and then put into a feature length thing by giving them interstitial similarly to how Warner Bros did with their cartoons (see The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour) because (the short version is) in the 1970's few f-cks were given in the American Animation medium at the time. So putting it in the Vault is kind of cheating, besides believe it or not, the blu ray sales of MAofWtP didn't do that well when the blu ray did premier. It's a successful franchise, but the movie itself not so much... same with Lilo and Stitch.

The revival movies (yes even Frog, which had a meh theatrical release but did very well on home video, essentially becoming this generation's Sleeping Beauty), did very well on home video and if it were 10 years ago I'm sure Disney would vault them. But they were born into a very diverse and long lasting home video market, putting them in the situation that, like Alice, vaulting them would be pointless.

All the real Revival films, like Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and Moana rank as high as the Disney classics in terms of Blu-Ray sales, if not even exceeding some of them. TPATF is nowhere near that league and it's even below most of the late 90s and 70s films. The only reason the film is still somewhat marketed is because of the DP franchise and frankly, if Tiana hadn't been the first black princess, the film wouldn't have been a hit enough to even bother including in the franchise. I've never heard anyone call it this generation's Sleeping Beauty, more like this generation's Oliver & Company.

I used to think the same thing and then Disney released in on 4k blu ray. Though come to think of it your right,calling it this generation's SB is a stretch because that did make fat stacks on stacks but Frog, while it doesn't do terribly it doesn't do Vault film status.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:20 pm 
Collector's Edition

Actually TPATF sold more on home video than some of the "real revival movies" as you called them. I remember a few articles pointing out how it did just OK at the box office but great on home video.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:30 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

rodis wrote:
Actually TPATF sold more on home video than some of the "real revival movies" as you called them. I remember a few articles pointing out how it did just OK at the box office but great on home video.

Where are these numbers? When it comes to Blu-Ray stats, some of which were posted here, the real Revival films are always at the top. I don't remember TPATF ever even ranking. See below. Alice and Dumbo consistently sell as well as the films in the Signature line if not better than several titles. No other Disney film ranks as high but the one closest to the Signature line in terms of sales is The Fox and the Hound but even then, after a huge margin.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32222&start=540#p703563
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=134

If you look at Blu-Ray collections, the Revival films like Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and Moana are top sellers and sell as well as the Signature titles. TPATF is never ranked that high.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Here's another link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ted_States

Up, released in the same year as TPATF, is ranked in the best-selling DVDs of all time in the US. It's also one of the best-selling DVDs/Blu-Rays for 2009 at #3. Enchanted made the top ten for 2008, Toy Story 3 and the live-action Alice in Wonderland made the top ten for 2010, Tangled made the top ten for 2011, Brave made the top ten for 2012, Wreck-It Ralph and Monsters University made the top ten for 2013, and so on for all the other Revival and Pixar films. TPATF does not even make the top ten for 2010.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:59 pm 
Special Edition

Thank you for your answers. When I wrote it I was thinking about how popular they are combining park presents, merchandise sales and general opinion from people.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Beauty and the Beast (1991) 4K Blu-ray
The Signature Collection / 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray
Disney | 1991 | 85 min | Rated G | Mar 10, 2020

Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265
Resolution: 4K (2160p)
HDR: HDR10
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
French (Canadian): Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles
English, French (Canadian), Spanish

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Two-disc set (1 BD-66, 1 BD-50)
4K Ultra HD (UHD)
UPC 786936867206

https://www.hdmoviesource.com/product-p/12925.htm

There's going to be a steelbook as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:49 pm 
Limited Edition

I can't wait to see the cover. Hopefully, they will create something new :D

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:54 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

If there's a Steelbook there will probably be a Target exclusive as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:01 pm 
Limited Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:

Not necessarily. I noticed Target only do these for new releases or rereleases, but Beauty and the Beast Signature Collection is a reissue like the Pixar or Revival films. It might have that luckluster packaging like The Lion King 4K had but that was pretty lame. I hope they do have a Digipack though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:53 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sicoe Vlad wrote:
I hope so, too. It would be neat if it was revealed right around the time farerb's cover thread had reached Beauty and the Beast, too. :P

John Lennon ~ "Imagine"
Queen ~ "Killer Queen"
(courtesy of blackcauldron85!)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

Not necessarily. I noticed Target only do these for new releases or rereleases, but Beauty and the Beast Signature Collection is a reissue like the Pixar or Revival films. It might have that luckluster packaging like The Lion King 4K had but that was pretty lame. I hope they do have a Digipack though.

When The Lion King's 4K release came out, did they even make the Target exclusive packaging for the Signature Editions? I thought they started with The Little Mermaid this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:30 am 
Limited Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

When The Lion King's 4K release came out, did they even make the Target exclusive packaging for the Signature Editions? I thought they started with The Little Mermaid this year.

They started with Peter Pan and Incredibles 2 I guess. Both came out in June 2018. The Lion King in December 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:33 am 
Limited Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:
I hope so, too. It would be neat if it was revealed right around the time farerb's cover thread had reached Beauty and the Beast, too. :P

I hope so too. It should cause from my calculations, we'll talk about Beauty and the Beast around late February, which is less than a month when the movie is released and usually there are covers already.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:50 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:

They started with Peter Pan and Incredibles 2 I guess. Both came out in June 2018. The Lion King in December 2018.

But wasn't the Peter Pan Target Exclusive a digibook like the old Diamond Edition ones? And there were earlier Disney films that were released in the new Target Exclusive packaging like Cars 3, Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Thor: Ragnarok, to name a few. They didn't use the new style of packaging for a Signature Edition until The Little Mermaid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:54 am 
Limited Edition

https://youtu.be/7OeDjSkWqpI
Maybe the Lion King was just not ready, hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 am 
Limited Edition

Looking at the Target list. Their last Digibook films were Cars 3 / Lady and the Tramp, and their first Digipack film was Coco.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:00 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

farerb wrote:

Thank you for posting that. I thought from the cover it looked more like one of the old Target digibooks but that is the new packaging style. That does make me wonder then if BATB will get one or not. Although even if it doesn't, I don't really care because this is a release that I solely care about the transfer being used. The steelbook will probably be my particular choice for the disc art.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:02 am 
Limited Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:

Thank you for posting that. I thought from the cover it looked more like one of the old Target digibooks but that is the new packaging style. That does make me wonder then if BATB will get one or not. Although even if it doesn't, I don't really care because this is a release that I solely care about the transfer being used. The steelbook will probably be my particular choice for the disc art.

I'm getting everything. Slipcover, steelbook and whatever Target releases.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next