The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Are you referring to The Jungle Book?
Yes. I'll edit my post to make it clear.
Thank you for noticing.
You're welcome. I couldn't tell if you were talking about Beauty and the Beast or The Jungle Book before but I quickly realized it must be the latter. I find it odd too that we haven't heard anything about a Signature Edition for The Jungle Book or even Fantasia. I'm especially interested in the latter because I don't own this film at all. If they're not going to re-release it, I'd like to know soon so I can go ahead and purchase the 2010 Blu-Ray from Ebay.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I gave up a long time ago and got the UK Blu-ray. But that's just because I'm impatient. I think it's better to wait for 2021 and if it's not released by then, then buy a different edition.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Beauty and the Beast will be released after much anticipation (via bluray.com):
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/Beauty ... dp/6220907

(The remaining five Pixar films will be released as well).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Finally! Are we sure this is the animated film though and not the live-action one.

I really hope Disney starts releasing their catalog titles on 4K like Pixar and Marvel have done and how Star Wars will do next year.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If it's the same colors as usual, I'll probably pass because I have the over-lightened restoration of B&tB on DVD and Blu-ray already.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Finally! Are we sure this is the animated film though and not the live-action one.

I really hope Disney starts releasing their catalog titles on 4K like Pixar and Marvel have done and how Star Wars will do next year.
Yes it's the animated. There's a different listing for the live action remake.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Finally! Are we sure this is the animated film though and not the live-action one.

Yes it's the animated. There's a different listing for the live action remake.
I saw that afterwards on Blu-ray.com. I'm so psyched for this release. I hope it looks as good as those screenshots you posted and I remember you said the actual film looks even better compared to the quality of those pics.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Where are you guys finding this info on Blu-ray.com?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It's in the 4K section, not the Blu-Ray section.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=323973
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thank you!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote: Yes it's the animated. There's a different listing for the live action remake.
I saw that afterwards on Blu-ray.com. I'm so psyched for this release. I hope it looks as good as those screenshots you posted and I remember you said the actual film looks even better compared to the quality of those pics.
I'm excited too, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up cause I've been disappointed by Disney before. I'll buy it regardless cause I own Beauty and the Beast in every format it was released.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I saw in the Australian site that the release date is March 4th, which probably mean that it's going to be March 3rd in North America. This might also be the release date of Frozen II.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I remember the first Frozen was released on home video towards the end of March which is what I assumed would happen again this time.
ImageImage
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Congratulations to Sleeping Beauty for being inducted into the Library of Congress today! :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, congratulations to Sleeping Beauty! I didn't expect it to get in before certain others, but it totally makes sense. It's a masterpiece aesthetically!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I really hope Disney starts releasing their catalog titles on 4K like Pixar and Marvel have done and how Star Wars will do next year.
I wouldn't count on it given that The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron got their 4K debuts on Disney+ but Disney couldn't even be bothered to ever release the latter on Blu-Ray. Of course, I'd rather be wrong. But we've reached the point in film collecting where a 4K disc will probably be the last physical media made for a title, if it gets one at all. Kind of makes me both happy and sad for Beauty and the Beast when it comes out next March. It's probably my most-bought Disney film on physical media, and the 4K release will probably be my last. But five formats across twenty-eight years is probably enough for me unless I decide to really go deep and collect the film on those formats from other countries. :huh:

Albert (who didn't realize until now this is post #12,500)
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Escapay wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I really hope Disney starts releasing their catalog titles on 4K like Pixar and Marvel have done and how Star Wars will do next year.
I wouldn't count on it given that The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron got their 4K debuts on Disney+ but Disney couldn't even be bothered to ever release the latter on Blu-Ray. Of course, I'd rather be wrong. But we've reached the point in film collecting where a 4K disc will probably be the last physical media made for a title, if it gets one at all. Kind of makes me both happy and sad for Beauty and the Beast when it comes out next March. It's probably my most-bought Disney film on physical media, and the 4K release will probably be my last. But five formats across twenty-eight years is probably enough for me unless I decide to really go deep and collect the film on those formats from other countries. :huh:

Albert (who didn't realize until now this is post #12,500)
The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron are two of Disney's least popular films so that doesn't surprise me very much. Even with Disney+ though, I can't see them skipping out on re-releasing their more popular titles on 4K, such as the recent Revival films. Just as lucrative as those would be the Walt-era classics and after that, the rest of the 90s films not in the Signature line would probably be the next best bet (alongside Lilo & Stitch).
ImageImage
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

I think these movies not included in the Signature line are valuable or popular in some form for the general market, and should have some kind of "vault" status.

Frozen
Zootopia
Moana
Tangled
The Princess and the frog
Lilo and Stitch
Mulan
Pocahontas
The many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Alice in Wonderland
Dumbo
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyBluLife wrote:I think these movies not included in the Signature line are valuable or popular in some form for the general market, and should have some kind of "vault" status.

Frozen
Zootopia
Moana
Tangled
Lilo and Stitch
Mulan
Pocahontas
Alice in Wonderland
Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo should have been in the Signature Collection to begin with. I don't know about the rest. I don't think that every films should have a "prestigious" laber otherwise none are prestigious, and the revival films came out at a time where "The Vault" meant nothing anymore.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

DisneyBluLife wrote:I think these movies not included in the Signature line are valuable or popular in some form for the general market, and should have some kind of "vault" status.

Frozen
Zootopia
Moana
Tangled
Lilo and Stitch
Mulan
Pocahontas
Alice in Wonderland
Dumbo

The Disney Vault has nothing to do with "prestige". It's about how well that movie did in that particular market.

Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo are not in the lineup for, let's call it technicality reasons. Both of which were chosen as episodes of Walt Disney's television program Disneyland, as a way to promote the upcoming park and these two films had prominent attractions. Because Alice is an episodic film and Dumbo is very short, it made it a lot more palatable for television than the other Disney movies would have. Yes Alice was a disappointment (though it gained a massive cult following years later) and that's another reason why Disney chose that movie to be on TV, but that wasn't him banishing it to the ghetto of Family Entertainment, he just didn't want to through money at it anymore. Besides, as mentioned earlier it was the perfect film for television from a structural standpoint, so even if the movie did well on it's first run I think he would have put it on TV anyway. Fast forward to the dawn of home video. They were among the first to be available on home video. When Disney decided to do the Disney Vault, they decided not to include these two movies. Not because they weren't successful or that they were "lower-rung" among the rest, even if you do want to make that argument for the ladder, but they were so saturated in the market Vaulting them has become pointless. They still did very well on their own without the Vault system. And Disney still gave them a hefty promotion for their own subsequent releases in the early 2010s.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a compilation of 3 shorts released prior and then put into a feature length thing by giving them interstitial similarly to how Warner Bros did with their cartoons (see The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour) because (the short version is) in the 1970's few f-cks were given in the American Animation medium at the time. So putting it in the Vault is kind of cheating, besides believe it or not, the blu ray sales of MAofWtP didn't do that well when the blu ray did premier. It's a successful franchise, but the movie itself not so much... same with Lilo and Stitch.

Pocahontas doesn't do very well and is very quietly becoming this generations' Song of the South... enough said.

Mulan is very popular, has a higher rating than half of the Vault movies on IMDB, but never had the home video sales to reciprocate that.

The revival movies (yes even Frog, which had a meh theatrical release but did very well on home video, essentially becoming this generation's Sleeping Beauty), did very well on home video and if it were 10 years ago I'm sure Disney would vault them. But they were born into a very diverse and long lasting home video market, putting them in the situation that, like Alice, vaulting them would be pointless.

The vault is just a marketing tool, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, and Fantasia are some of the greatest animated films of all time. Hell Fantasia is the only animated film ever to be preserved in the Vatican for a representation of great art in film. I don't need a marketing tool to tell me that something like with those credentials is inferior because it's not as lucrative as Cinderella.

Hope this helps