The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by blackcauldron85 »

New Sleeping Beauty purses are coming to celebrate the 60th anniversary (https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/photos-new-do ... ming-soon/); could a new Blu-ray follow?!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

That could be a good indicator although they might save the re-release for Maleficent 2, especially since the Diamond Edition coincided with the first Maleficent film.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Something I have recently heard and it might be good, but take it with a grain of salt because I don't know how much of this is true, is that while the films were scanned in 4K way back then, the restoration, and thus the master, was done in 2K, which means they probably need to do a new restoration and a new master for the 4k editions. It might mean that Cinderella will get a proper master when the film is released in 4K.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I hope that's true because I've heard differing opinions such as that Disney will just upscale their 2K movies to 4K.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, thanks for that news, farerb! But I'll take it with a grain of salt...I guess...I'm still hopeful!

So then, if I were to buy a 4K version, what could I play it on? A regualr HD TV? A Blu-ray player?

I guess even if I don't buy the 4K, they will use the 4K restoration on the Blu-ray, too?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Wow, thanks for that news, farerb! But I'll take it with a grain of salt...I guess...I'm still hopeful!

So then, if I were to buy a 4K version, what could I play it on? A regualr HD TV? A Blu-ray player?

I guess even if I don't buy the 4K, they will use the 4K restoration on the Blu-ray, too?
4K requires a 4K TV and a 4K player. I'm assuming Disney would use the new transfer for the Blu-Ray though so you should probably be fine if it ever comes to this (although you never know with Disney's Home Video Department). As of now, Disney has been pairing all their 4K releases with a Blu-Ray disc so that's helpful as well.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I actually bought the 4K Blu-ray of The Lion King. I have a 4K player, but an HD-TV, and I was still able to watch the 4K version.

But about Sleeping Beauty, is there any chance it might be the next Signature Blu-ray, seeing that it celebrates its 60th Anniversary this year? I might see them releasing it this fall. Somehow, I can't see it as the Summer release.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I actually bought the 4K Blu-ray of The Lion King. I have a 4K player, but an HD-TV, and I was still able to watch the 4K version.
The 4K Blu-Ray will be downscaled to 1080p format for your HD TV though so it's like you are basically watching a regular Blu-Ray disc.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok, thanks for the info, guys.

I would love if Sleeping Beauty was the Fall Signature.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:I actually bought the 4K Blu-ray of The Lion King. I have a 4K player, but an HD-TV, and I was still able to watch the 4K version.
The 4K Blu-Ray will be downscaled to 1080p format for your HD TV though so it's like you are basically watching a regular Blu-Ray disc.
That is true, but I did put the regular Blu-ray afterwards, and I noticed some differences in the color scheme. I'm sure that if I had a 4K TV, the results would be much better, but the color differences are noticeable even on an HD TV.
Disney Duster wrote:Oh, ok, thanks for the info, guys.

I would love if Sleeping Beauty was the Fall Signature.
Me, too. Imagine a 4K version of Sleeping Beauty. Wow! :D
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The HDR does improve The Lion King (even though it is only upscaled to 4K).

Sleeping Beauty will look stunning in 4K. If 8K is ever a thing, Sleeping Beauty will be the only film I will buy.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

so is the 4k Lion King worth getting just for the restoration? I dont have a 4k set or player, would the bluray packaged wth the 4k disc have the same restoration as the 4k or is it just the previous release bluray disc packaged with the 4k disc?

What exactly is considered the best restoration of the Lion King currently? I know there were some previous versions that left out the clouds during the "remember who you are" ghost Mufasa sequence...

btw I wish there was some website or online source that would advice people on which version of a Disney animated release(or any other film really) is best visually, or at least closest to the original theatrical release, though I guess that would be sort of subjective to some degree.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

unprincess wrote:so is the 4k Lion King worth getting just for the restoration? I dont have a 4k set or player, would the bluray packaged wth the 4k disc have the same restoration as the 4k or is it just the previous release bluray disc packaged with the 4k disc?

What exactly is considered the best restoration of the Lion King currently? I know there were some previous versions that left out the clouds during the "remember who you are" ghost Mufasa sequence...
The clouds were restored in the Signature Collection blu ray. I understood the 4K version is just an upascale of the 1080p, but it is the same master.
unprincess wrote:btw I wish there was some website or online source that would advice people on which version of a Disney animated release(or any other film really) is best visually, or at least closest to the original theatrical release, though I guess that would be sort of subjective to some degree.
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Recom ... s/id/15617

I don't agree with everything, but it's a good post about which edition is the recommended.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, Sleeping Beauty 4K would be amazing!

The Lion King isn't true 4K, just upscaled? :(
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

unprincess wrote:so is the 4k Lion King worth getting just for the restoration? I dont have a 4k set or player, would the bluray packaged wth the 4k disc have the same restoration as the 4k or is it just the previous release bluray disc packaged with the 4k disc?
The Blu-ray disc packaged with the 4K release is the exact same disc from the August 2017 Signature Collection release.
unprincess wrote:What exactly is considered the best restoration of the Lion King currently? I know there were some previous versions that left out the clouds during the "remember who you are" ghost Mufasa sequence...
The 2011 Diamond Edition is the one with the missing clouds, the 2017 Signature Collection had them back. Personally, I've watched the 4k release and thought it looked great, but not that different from the regular 2017 Blu-ray.
unprincess wrote:btw I wish there was some website or online source that would advice people on which version of a Disney animated release(or any other film really) is best visually, or at least closest to the original theatrical release, though I guess that would be sort of subjective to some degree.
The sad thing is, that this website was exactly about that when it stared early last decade...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sicoe Vlad wrote: That is true, but I did put the regular Blu-ray afterwards, and I noticed some differences in the color scheme. I'm sure that if I had a 4K TV, the results would be much better, but the color differences are noticeable even on an HD TV.
That's neat to know that even on an HD TV, the color differences are remarkable.
farerb wrote: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Recom ... s/id/15617

I don't agree with everything, but it's a good post about which edition is the recommended.
I recommend this too even if sometimes they're a bit too stickler about being purist.
ImageImage
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Thats epic Neverland ! Could you provide a purchase link? Or is this fan made?
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If that's not fan-made, I'm just going to ask... WHYYYYYY?? And all we got was a Paige O'Hara picture and a cheap digibook. :X
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's fan-made.